PRP treatments for my thinning edges

Fine 4s

I never really thought about my edges, I just accepted it since I was a teen. Now in my late 40s it's gotten worse so I'm considering PRP.
I brought up my concern to my derm and she said I need to stop braiding my hair. Ya'll, I just had some wash day braids in my hair and they weren't what most black folks would call tight at all so I don't know what kind of styles I'm going to be doing now. Since I'm going to be stretching my hair on wash days, maybe I'll figure it out IDK. First I'm going to take Nutrafol, use the hair serum from The Ordinary and stay away from braiding or doing any restricting style.
Anyone do PRP and have results? Do you have any ideas for lose hair styles I can do?

Help ladies!

I never really thought about my edges, I just accepted it since I was a teen. Now in my late 40s it's gotten worse so I'm considering PRP.
I brought up my concern to my derm and she said I need to stop braiding my hair. Ya'll, I just had some wash day braids in my hair and they weren't what most black folks would call tight at all so I don't know what kind of styles I'm going to be doing now. Since I'm going to be stretching my hair on wash days, maybe I'll figure it out IDK. First I'm going to take Nutrafol, use the hair serum from The Ordinary and stay away from braiding or doing any restricting style.
Anyone do PRP and have results? Do you have any ideas for lose hair styles I can do?

Help ladies!
I’ve had edge and hairless temples (I believe my temples are a form of alopecia). I always wear my hair pulled back because my naturally fine, medium density strands don’t look good to me when worn loose.
As I began to age, and when I lost a lot of weight, my hair shed like crazy. I began to take Nutrafol and it really helps me. My edges are filling in and I can cover my temples with a good edge gel.
I’m on my 4th month of taking Nutrafol and I don’t believe I will ever stop taking it unless I can no longer afford it financially or I find out it causes harm to my health. Serious.

I’m on my 4th month of taking Nutrafol and I don’t believe I will ever stop taking it unless I can no longer afford it financially or I find out it causes harm to my health. Serious.
I’ve seen commercials for Nutrafol but never looked into it. It’s better than biotin or the other hair vitamins?

I’ve seen commercials for Nutrafol but never looked into it. It’s better than biotin or the other hair vitamins?
@Black Ambrosia My derm said they have more research backing. However, the real selling point for me wasmmy friend's recommendation that it stopped her shedding and her mom's hair breaking. I don't take vitamins either so having hair and health in one was a plus although I'm not looking forward to taking 4 pills daily. I have my first physical in years in a couple of weeks so I'll ask him his thoughts on Nutrafol too.

@Evolving78 I've been thinking about exploring with WnGs this Summer. I hate wet scalp, dripping water and the cold so I will experiment in the Summer months and sit under the hair dryer. I'm not excited about it because my hair strands tangle easily. Right now, I'm thinking stretched hair and then low bunning. Either way I want to do a good 3 months no braids protective style. If I find a wing, I can just ball up my hair underneath a wig cap and rock the wig too.

How do you typically braid your hair?
I used to take precautions for my naturally thin edges too. Instead of cornrowing straight back for my cornrows, I used to do two rows straight down my edges and then do the rest of my hair going straight back. Maybe you could do that with flat twists instead of cornrows? Flat twists seem to be gentler on the scalp as well.

@MzSwift on my WFH week, my hair stays in the wash day twists. I don't know how to cornrow so I don't do that. I used to twist my hair and put it in a bun but I would say my twists were tight. let me see if I can show some edges pics. I'm thinking about getting a full wig, no hair left out, stretch my hair on wash days with the RevAir, take my pills, put The Ordinary peptide serum and not braiding it at all this Summer. Guess this is the Summer of experimenting with Wash N Gos.....so scared of them. Let me find pics for ya'll.

Here are my edges over time.
I am now 47 years old and finally realizing that I don’t have to accept these wedges and I can try to make it better or if anything slow down the progression or hopefully bring it back.

First pic is my edges on the left side always the better side on relaxed hair during my teenage years. Somewhere between 14-16?
Second pic is when i started my healthy hair journey and this pic was back in 2009?
Third pic was May 22 with my high wedding bun. This was the right side.
Fourth pic shows my hair about 1.5 months ago in two cornrows that my friend did for me and yes, she braided this a bit tight. You can see how the right side goes back more than the left.
Fifth pic is how the left side looks on blow dried hair which is why I part in the middle and hide the sides.
Sixth pic is back in early 2000s in the head damaged days my edges were never solid but you can see a little irregular edges. Back in college this roommate i got into an argument told me "what you need to do is take care of your receding hairline..." I was 18 so....
Seventh & Eigth two are recent pics taken when I was saddened by the sight of my sides.

Attachments

• 8AC2EE90-0567-4E8B-95B8-3056F55599ED.jpeg
    8AC2EE90-0567-4E8B-95B8-3056F55599ED.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 51B4B0D5-1CE5-45B0-AEE5-90075ACC9590.jpeg
    51B4B0D5-1CE5-45B0-AEE5-90075ACC9590.jpeg
    717.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 37589DBA-4B0B-4CA5-9D21-B7879E2C26C3.jpeg
    37589DBA-4B0B-4CA5-9D21-B7879E2C26C3.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 063B9B0F-7787-49AA-A1FC-D7C1B3EFF371.jpeg
    063B9B0F-7787-49AA-A1FC-D7C1B3EFF371.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 11
  • F97DD9AB-0F45-4E59-AEE0-7A71CD5A1226.jpeg
    F97DD9AB-0F45-4E59-AEE0-7A71CD5A1226.jpeg
    368.2 KB · Views: 10
  • E4B89D35-6F80-4E8B-BBD4-2D0C2386761B.jpeg
    E4B89D35-6F80-4E8B-BBD4-2D0C2386761B.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 0B856F57-60C0-424E-8190-8E3E8B449C55.jpeg
    0B856F57-60C0-424E-8190-8E3E8B449C55.jpeg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 8
  • E4CE24A5-95D3-4F6A-AA3F-932F899BD5D7.jpeg
    E4CE24A5-95D3-4F6A-AA3F-932F899BD5D7.jpeg
    594.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Aww, that's messed up (what your roommate said). :bighug:

Looking at your photos, it seems like that's your natural hair line shape but just doing what happens when we age (I'm in my 40s as well). I think it's worth trying to see what the Nutrafol and The Ordinary hair serum do for you.

I really feel like Ayurveda has helped my hair to remain healthy, shiny and full looking even though I have fine strands (medium density). Have you tried Ayurveda consistently? What were your overall experiences?

You could probably still find styles that work with your natural hairline shape even while you work on those areas. Would loose twist styles like these be difficult or unappealing to you? You should be able to apply any tx you have more easily with the loose roots. And many of them wouldn't prevent you from rocking a wig if you want to. The single twist styles could be pinned up into a loose, simple style at the back of your head or something.

1681054305053.png 1681054378912.png 1681054406945.png

1681054492725.png 1681054562351.png 1681054657732.png

Aww, that's messed up (what your roommate said). :bighug:

Looking at your photos, it seems like that's your natural hair line shape but just doing what happens when we age (I'm in my 40s as well). I think it's worth trying to see what the Nutrafol and The Ordinary hair serum do for you.

I really feel like Ayurveda has helped my hair to remain healthy, shiny and full looking even though I have fine strands (medium density). Have you tried Ayurveda consistently? What were your overall experiences?

You could probably still find styles that work with your natural hairline shape even while you work on those areas. Would loose twist styles like these be difficult or unappealing to you? You should be able to apply any tx you have more easily with the loose roots. And many of them wouldn't prevent you from rocking a wig if you want to. The single twist styles could be pinned up into a loose, simple style at the back of your head or something.

View attachment 488685 View attachment 488687 View attachment 488689

View attachment 488691 View attachment 488693 View attachment 488695I
It was messed up but I can laugh now. lol

I also wanted to show that on one hand my natural hairline has always been like this but on the other it has worsen and I question if it’s worth trying to change. I’m going to visit a dermatologist to discus this further and maybe look at my scalp to determine if my hairline is salvageable. My mom had great edges but my dad’s hairline not so much. I seem to have gotten his hair genetics.
I like these styles and would rock them but I was trying to avoid braiding completely. I’m unclear if the derm’s recommendation was to stop braiding completely. Even though these are super loose.

Thank you for taking the time to send me these pics!

In addition to the Nutrafol, I've added a Horsetail supplement to my supplement regimen in the past week.
Nutrafol contains horsetail, but I wanted to amp it up a bit.
My eyebrows have been itching for the past several days, and I've never had itchy eyebrows before. I Googled it, and horsetail supplementation can increase eyebrow hairs as long as the follicle isn't gone.

In addition to the Nutrafol, I've added a Horsetail supplement to my supplement regimen in the past week.
Nutrafol contains horsetail, but I wanted to amp it up a bit.
My eyebrows have been itching for the past several days, and I've never had itchy eyebrows before. I Googled it, and horsetail supplementation can increase eyebrow hairs as long as the follicle isn't gone.
Yes!
I've infused Horesetail and Nettle leaf powders into my scalp oil mix since 2010! Still use them.
I even tried cayenne pepper but only once. I believe that the member Njoy used to use a similar spicy ingredient in her scalp oil (we were in the same challenge over on BHM) and we know the results she got that year..

Back