My Kinky Twist Extensions! *PICS*

kbragg

I'm getting close to 1 year into my transition and the two textures are crazy! I cannot air dry without breakage and I find sitting under the dryer rollersetting uses more heat than just a quick and dirty blow dry and maxiglide. Needless to say I got tired of doing my hair lol. I was going to do the LadyP method (beehive cornrows under a wig) but DH was dead set against the wig lol. My solution was kinky twists. I have gotten loads of complements on them. DH even said they look professional which is a big deal because normally when I do braids he says "You'll get better with time lol"

Ok so prep: Washed hair in 8 braids using ORS Aloe Rid Shampoo. Took braids down and applied ORS Replenishing Conditioner and sat under heat cap for an hour. Rinsed hair and lightly blew hair dry. Not to the point of it being bone straight, it was more to stretch out the natural hair than anything and make it easier to braid.

Applied Aubry Organics Honeysuckle Rose along length of hair and sealed with coconut oil before braiding/twisting.

I used 6 packs of hair (they were smallish packs though, only 20 braids per package), 3 packs of 1B, 3 packs of 1B/27. I plan to moisturize the twists with Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 every few days as needed and wash the scalp every 2 weeks. Hoping to keep these in for 8 weeks. Oh I used the yarn/thread method to curl the ends and love it! It was so much easier than perm rods and gave better curls than braiding or twisting the ends and dipping in water.

Ok now that I've bored you to death, here are the pics. Excuse the bloat I'm 7 months pregnant lol.

Oh and just for giggles here's a body shot and belly shot so ya'll don't be thinking I'm just a fatty fat fat:lol:

Excuse the mirror:nono: I just windexed it a few days ago but Caleb has had his way with it since he's so dang in love with his reflection:lol:

bibs

Those are beautiful:yep:! I really wish I could do this myself instead of having to drop $$ for someone else to install them too tight! Oh and you look teeny tiny for 7 months :)

kbragg

Those are beautiful:yep:! I really wish I could do this myself instead of having to drop $$ for someone else to install them too tight! Oh and you look teeny tiny for 7 months :)

Seeing as I've gain 50lbs so far you just made my day and became my new best friend:grin::bighug:

They're actually not that hard to do. I learned on youtube (I always start with a braid and do the "twist while twisting" method to the ends. I forget which one it was but it was "Kinky Twist Tutorial"

OrangeMoon

KBragg love the kinky twist you did a wonderful job. BTW you are tiny to be 7 months pregnant you're all belly and boobs lady!

FroFab

The twists do look really good. Your belly is really cute too. Are those maternity jeans or like a bella band thing? Whatever it is it looks really supportive.

kbragg

The twists do look really good. Your belly is really cute too. Are those maternity jeans or like a bella band thing? Whatever it is it looks really supportive.

Actually it's both lol. These jeans are the under belly style and the shirt is too small so I wear the band to cover the part of my belly that shows. The band is not supportive at all unfortunately. It just looks it lol.

kbragg

Thanks! That's what one of my besties says lol. She says I carry all my weight in my belly boobs and nose:rofl:

bibs

I totally meant it too! :grin: My sis is pregger for the 3rd time and would probably hurt someone for a body like that at month 7!
Anywho, I just looked up a bunch of tuts on YT and one of the girls said it took her about 5 days... I think that would be me! Which vid in particular did you watch cuz your looks cuter than a lot of the ones on there posted by "professionals", lol.

kbragg

BiaM I followed this series with a few tweaks: YouTube - Kinky Twists (With Extensions)- Tutorial 1/3

1. I don't cut the hair in half or finger comb it through. The reason I don't is because every time I've done the cut and overlap method I end up with straight pieces sticking out. What I do instead is I use the whole piece as is, then when I'm finished my whole head I cut the twists to the length I want.

2. I used the yarn method to curl the ends: YouTube - Curling the ends of Kinky twist using thread or string

~~HoneyComb~~

You look great Kbragg, your twists and your belly.

You do not look like you've gained 50lbs at all!!! All I see is belly :yep:

Thanks for the pics, I was wondering how your were coming along with your pregnancy and was anxious to see how you look :)

africanqueen456

Thats a banging DIY install! And you preggers.I wish I could,I guess now I have no excuse! But great job and good luck with the pregancy....