Wet Bunning

coupe2

Has anyone tried this with good results. The reason I ask is that on another forum, it is something that is discussed in the negative. So ladies any comments

ebzonix

I haven't tried it yet, but I know a lot of curlies who create their buns while in the shower and letting it air-dry this way. It's said to protect the ends and keep in moisture.

cmesweet

I have tried it, the only way I can bun my hair is in the shower. I did like it, however, after day 3 I thought my hair was dry because the outside hair was but the middle of the bun wasn't:nono:. Felt like I had just came out of the shower. So if anyone has a method where this won't happen, cause I am afraid of hair mildew, please let me know.

joyandfaith

I do this everyday. Its such a great moisturizing environment for your ends. Highly recommended...just make sure to seal your ends with a little oil

vestaluv1

I used to do it all the time for at least 6 years, but I've stopped now because my edges suffered and I'm allowing them to recover!

ladylibra

not wet, because then as my hair dries it tightens and starts to hurt. :nono:

i do my buns on DAMP hair. perfect because my hair is still moist enough to be stretched and manipulated into a bun, but not soaking wet. (and obviously not dry, my hair isn't long enough for that yet in it's dry shrunken state)

mezzogirl

Is wet bunning reccomended for natural hair? I have relaxed hair and I was wondering if you get breakage when pulling your hair thru a scrunchie or ponytail holder while hair is wet.

Cleve_gryl

I wet bun and my hair loves it. I cowashed last night, and I'm still walking around with a baggie over my bun now. :look: You can do this everyday as long as you aren't pulling the hair back so tight that your eyes slant.

Take your hair down when you get home to allow it to dry some, or just wash it again. I love damp hair when its hot out...a natural cooling system for the head. :yep:

*Frisky*

I co wash and wet bun every other day and my hair loves it. Leaving in my conditioner instead of rinsing it out gives my hair ultimate moisture so on the days that I dont cowash, my hair is still very moisturized. Dont bun too tight and you shouldnt have any issues.

discobiscuits

i should add that i am transitioning and that i do not do tight buns. i will shampoo, then condition and leave the conditioner in. i then use my denman to smooth and then i will gently twist my hair and pin with large (1 1/2 inch- 2 inch) hair pins (no scrunchies or twisties or anything like that) or an octopus clip. or i will use a twistie thingie but still gently and braid the pony and tuck the ends under. it can take days for it to dry 100% but usually i'll poo again in 2-3 days anyway.

i also do this to do a partial air dry then i blow dry on low the remaining wetness then i will cornrow. for me, bunning like this to air dry will make my natural hair lay and be straight so that i won't have to use a lot of heat or high heat to straighten before cornrowing or braiding.

Octopus clip:

Hair twistie thingies i use:

Soft and Light
Hair Hosiery
No Damage® Elastics
Features and Benefits:
Soft and light hair band technology for a gentle all day hold
Made of the same light and loose material as in hosiery
Will not dent your hair!
No metal parts
12 per pack
Patented product
Styles 17008, 17345, 17650

Large Flat
No Damage® Elastics
Features and Benefits:
Flat design technology won't roll out
Firm and tight technology in one continuous hair band
No metal parts
12 or 14 per pack
Styles 17204, 17205, 17672, 17673, 17847, 17888, 17889, 25019, 58122
Styles 17672, 17673, 17847, 17888, and, 17889 available in the UK

Eisani

I do this almost every day as well. After cowashing, I'll add more cond and seal w/lots of coconut oil or Vatika Frosting, extra heavy on the ends then twist it into a bun and pin it so there's no actual hair elastic/scrunchie or tie involved and it's not pulling my my edges/nape too much, or I'll do a tucked pony or braided bun. Even with those, I wrap the hair elastic only once. When I get home, I take it down and either let it hang loose for about an hour or loosely braid the ends so the middle can dry some. No problems losing hair whatsoever.

AnnasMom

I'm so late on this... but I think I might want to jump on the bunning bandwagon. But I'm a little worried that I will suffer breakage. I think I'll try it for a week and see what happens. I just want to be sure I'm doing it right!

Sade'

My ends become raggedy when I wet but right out of the shower. I let it air dry for a minute and then moisturize and oil my hair then bun it while it's still damp. Purrrfect for my hair and growing it out.

LaToya28

I wet bun, but not on soaking wet hair. I do this about once a week after cowashing. I cowash with Hairveda Moist Condition 24/7. I use a little bit of it as a leave-in and seal with Cocasta oil. The I twist my hair up in to a bun and secure it with bobby/hair pins. My hair usually dries fully in about 24 hours or so. Other than rollersetting this is my favorite way to dry my hair.

I used to think wet bunning would lead to a lot of breakage, but I think that not using any type of bands is the key to avoiding breakage...at least it is for me.

Diva_Esq

Transitioning and I do it often and it has resulted in great progress during the past 5 months of my transition. I have wet bun pics in my photo albums on here. It took me from this in Aug 2009:

to this (pic is on 1/24/10):

Much healthier ends, grew my layers out, thicker better conditioned hair, more moisture! :yay:

Wet bunning is my favorite PS! :D

Hope that helps! Good luck!

biancaelyse

I do buns on damp hair since my hair is thick and takes a long time to dry. I wrap my hair in a hair towel or tshirt and plop until about 1/2 of the water is absorbed. Then I bun.