09/30/2009 on Oprah - Girl Talk About "Good" Hair with Chris Rock

Mizz Diamonds

Beautiful post! I wish Oprah and Chris could've delved a little deeper into the real issues, instead of focusing on the weaves and stuff. I can already tell that people are going to be outraged over the Indian women getting ripped off, and while that's a VERY important issue, I feel that the focus needs to remain on black women right now, since we are also victims in this whole situation. I'm scared that white liberals might start blaming Black women for being responsible for the exploitation of Indian women.

I also agree that Chris was hugely mistaken when he said that black men "don't care" what our hair looks like. In my experience, they care a great deal...and they are just as responsible as everyone else for the propagation of the "good hair" ideal.

Nice post I think putting Oprah's and Tyra's show together would be a little bit better coz Tyra's show dicussed what "good hair" is that is Type 1, 2 and 3 but a loose type 3 and it was more on shock value coz I feel that a lot of things were edited out of Tyra show. Oprah show from the clips I've seen focused more on the lengths of what women would do for their hair and heavy focus on weaves. it's a tough subject and a one hour show or how ever long Chris Rock's movie is can't cover every single detail of the issue

almond eyes

This is the problem with these sensitive debates, there is rarely time to dig deeper into the issues. It's not just black/African women bugging over the Indian hair, I mean if you watch these bollywood films, many of the Indian actresses use this same Indian weft hair for weaving. Many of the mainstream Indian actresses do not have wavy long waist length hair so they get it weaved in for their films. So the Indians exploit their own women for hair just as foreigners do, hey in Africa foreigners exploit our resources everyday, it's just that in India it happens to be hair!!!!!However since the film was mostly about black women I think this aspect would not be covered.

Best,
Almond Eyes