10 Common Hair-Care Myths!

Candycane044

Hey ladies, I thought you all might like to know these. This was taken from http://goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/...0800?src=syn&mag=ghk&dom=msn&con=art&link=rel

Myth #1: Frequent trims make hair grow faster.

Truth: "Hair grows a half-inch per month, whether you cut it or not," says John Barrett, owner of the John Barrett Salon in New York City. Hair may grow slightly faster in the summer, but that has nothing to do with the stylist's scissors and everything to do with hormones, which do speed growth a little. One thing a trim will do: Eliminate split ends, making hair look better.

Myth #2: Stress can make your hair fall out.

Truth: Although your hair is falling out all the time, to the tune of 50 to 120 strands per day, it's possible that you may lose a few more strands when you're "catastrophically" stressed, meaning you have had a major life change such as a divorce, lost job or surgery, says Gerome Litt, M.D., an assistant professor of dermatology at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland. "Other culprits are pregnancy or antibiotics. After a few weeks, it will almost certainly grow back."

Myth #3: Switching shampoos can make hair look healthier.

Truth: It may seem so, but experts scoff. "Hair can't tell the difference between brands or buildup tolerance to any product," says London-based hair and scalp expert Philip Kingsley. "Your favorite shampoo will work the same every time you lather up, week after week, month after month." If you have very oily hair or favor a particularly sticky styling product that contains wax, it does pay to use a clarifying shampoo once every two weeks to wash away residue. Good Housekeeping's Beauty Department recommends Redken Hair Cleansing Cream and Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo.

Myth #4: If you pluck out one gray hair, two or three will sprout in its place.

Truth: While this isn't true, plucking out those gray strands is a bad habit. You can damage the roots, causing infection or leaving a scar.

Myth #5: You can't make flat, fine hair look full of body.

Truth: Five minutes with a set of large hot rollers will add life to straight hair.

Myth #6: To get really clean hair, you must "lather, rinse and repeat."

Truth: One thorough washing will do the trick.

Myth #7: Rinsing with ice-cold water after a shampoo will give you shinier hair.

Truth: It might wake you up, but a dousing of cold water will have no effect on the shininess of your tresses.

Myth #8: Coloring your hair causes major damage.

Truth: Products today -- both at home and in the salon -- are gentle enough not to weaken hair. In fact, some contain extra conditioners that may leave hair more manageable than before. Although it's not necessary, "it can't hurt to consult a professional stylist the first time you do anything permanent to your hair or scalp," Kingsley counsels.

Myth #9: You can mend split ends with the right products.

Truth: Once they're split, that's it. The only thing you can do then is cut them off. Celebrity stylist Jimmy Paul suggests making split ends less noticeable by applying a product containing silicone or beeswax. It will temporarily seal ends together, making hair softer and more manageable. Try: John Paul Mitchell Gloss Drops and John Barrett Bee Hold.

Myth #10: You should brush your hair 100 strokes every day.

Truth: "Brush it only to style it, because brushing pulls hairs out of their follicles and possibly weakens individual strands," says Kingsley.

MJ

Sounds good.

However, I don't agree with #2, #7, and #8.

Stress can wreak havoc on the health of the hair. My hair (natural and relaxed) wouldn't stop breaking for years because my life was filled with worry and stress. Deep conditioning, moisturizing, and protective styles and practices didn't stop the breakage. It is only now, in the past year and half, that I've consciously changed my lifestyles and beliefs, which decreased my stress levels, that my hair thrives. I've also read many stories on this board telling how stress negatively affected the health of their hair.

Cold water rinse made my relaxed hair shinier.

I've seen and read too many stories about the horrors of coloring, to believe #8. My friend got highlights this summer and the hair that was highlighted broke off; the hair that wasn't highlighted didn't break off.

Last edited:

MizAvalon

Thanks for posting! Someone should write a black hair care myths list. There would probably be a hundred things on it.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Hey ladies, I thought you all might like to know these. This was taken from http://goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/...0800?src=syn&mag=ghk&dom=msn&con=art&link=rel

Myth #1: Frequent trims make hair grow faster.

Truth: "Hair grows a half-inch per month, whether you cut it or not," says John Barrett, owner of the John Barrett Salon in New York City. Hair may grow slightly faster in the summer, but that has nothing to do with the stylist's scissors and everything to do with hormones, which do speed growth a little. One thing a trim will do: Eliminate split ends, making hair look better.

Myth #2: Stress can make your hair fall out.

Truth: Although your hair is falling out all the time, to the tune of 50 to 120 strands per day, it's possible that you may lose a few more strands when you're "catastrophically" stressed, meaning you have had a major life change such as a divorce, lost job or surgery, says Gerome Litt, M.D., an assistant professor of dermatology at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland. "Other culprits are pregnancy or antibiotics. After a few weeks, it will almost certainly grow back."

Myth #3: Switching shampoos can make hair look healthier.

Truth: It may seem so, but experts scoff. "Hair can't tell the difference between brands or buildup tolerance to any product," says London-based hair and scalp expert Philip Kingsley. "Your favorite shampoo will work the same every time you lather up, week after week, month after month." If you have very oily hair or favor a particularly sticky styling product that contains wax, it does pay to use a clarifying shampoo once every two weeks to wash away residue. Good Housekeeping's Beauty Department recommends Redken Hair Cleansing Cream and Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo.

Myth #4: If you pluck out one gray hair, two or three will sprout in its place.

Truth: While this isn't true, plucking out those gray strands is a bad habit. You can damage the roots, causing infection or leaving a scar.

Myth #5: You can't make flat, fine hair look full of body.

Truth: Five minutes with a set of large hot rollers will add life to straight hair.

Myth #6: To get really clean hair, you must "lather, rinse and repeat."

Truth: One thorough washing will do the trick.

Myth #7: Rinsing with ice-cold water after a shampoo will give you shinier hair.

Truth: It might wake you up, but a dousing of cold water will have no effect on the shininess of your tresses.

Myth #8: Coloring your hair causes major damage.

Truth: Products today -- both at home and in the salon -- are gentle enough not to weaken hair. In fact, some contain extra conditioners that may leave hair more manageable than before. Although it's not necessary, "it can't hurt to consult a professional stylist the first time you do anything permanent to your hair or scalp," Kingsley counsels.

Myth #9: You can mend split ends with the right products.

Truth: Once they're split, that's it. The only thing you can do then is cut them off. Celebrity stylist Jimmy Paul suggests making split ends less noticeable by applying a product containing silicone or beeswax. It will temporarily seal ends together, making hair softer and more manageable. Try: John Paul Mitchell Gloss Drops and John Barrett Bee Hold.

Myth #10: You should brush your hair 100 strokes every day.

Truth: "Brush it only to style it, because brushing pulls hairs out of their follicles and possibly weakens individual strands," says Kingsley.

:eek: I've always done this. I thought you were supposed to lather twice...... Well, now I know better :yep: THANKS! :grin:

Soliel185

I think for coloring you have to take into consideration that most AA have very dark hair. In order to color it you have to "lift" color first - which involves basically bleaching it. I think this step causes more damage than the actual color - which is why a colored rinse doesn't wreak havoc on your hair, but highlights or a permanant color will.

balisi

Some of these are not 100% accurate, all the time. From my own experience, I surmise that the person "dispelling" the myths has the typical caucasian client in mind. I have experience with a vast array of hair types, textures and curl patterns and these statements don't apply in every or even most cases.

And tiffers, don't believe the hype. One lathering will suffice on hair that is not oil-laden or full of product build-up (read: hair that is shampooed every day or every other day). The best practice is to do what works for you and your hair, not what some "hair guru" spews forth.

balisi

I think for coloring you have to take into consideration that most AA have very dark hair. In order to color it you have to "lift" color first - which involves basically bleaching it. I think this step causes more damage than the actual color - which is why a colored rinse doesn't wreak havoc on your hair, but highlights or a permanant color will.

I agree. Another reason why damage occurs in these cases is because the end result is attempted in one day. Going from blackest black hair to a buttery blond should be achieved incrementally, not all in one day or color formulation.

Candycane044

I totally agree.. When I saw the color and the stress myths I'm not sure I totally agree. I think stress can cause serious problems with your hair and your entire body.

SilentRuby

I agree. Another reason why damage occurs in these cases is because the end result is attempted in one day. Going from blackest black hair to a buttery blond should be achieved incrementally, not all in one day or color formulation.

So, if one wants to go from a dark black to a medium brown, doing this in increments will allow you to have color successfully...without any damage? (Of course including protein/moisture balance)

Determined22

Sounds good.

However, I don't agree with #2, #7, and #8.

Stress can wreak havoc on the health of the hair. My hair (natural and relaxed) wouldn't stop breaking for years because my life was filled with worry and stress. Deep conditioning, moisturizing, and protective styles and practices didn't stop the breakage. It is only now, in the past year and half, that I've consciously changed my lifestyles and beliefs, which decreased my stress levels, that my hair thrives. I've also read many stories on this board telling how stress negatively affected the health of their hair.

Cold water rinse made my relaxed hair shinier.

I've seen and read too many stories about the horrors of coloring, to believe #8. My friend got highlights this summer and the hair that was highlighted broke off; the hair that wasn't highlighted didn't break off.

Depends on the color line. I had my hair dyed a beautiful red 2 years ago, and my stylist used the CHI color line. I didn't experience any breakage or split ends while my hair was that color.