10 Drugstore Shampoos to Avoid

Hi All! I dont know if this had been posted anywhere, I thought it was interesting enough to pass along.

No. 10: Pantene Pro-V Nature Fusion Smooth Vitality Shampoo, $8.33
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 5.8 (out of 10)
Why: Most readers weren't impressed by this. "I don't think this shampoo and conditioner did anything out of the ordinary for my hair," one reader says. Another reader says it gave her "the weirdest breakouts on my upper arms."
No. 9: Suave Professionals Radiant Brunette Shampoo, $3.48
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 5.8
Why: Most readers did not find that this enhanced their hair color. Instead it "left my hair rather tangled" and one reader says it actually "stripped away the color!" Others complain that this left them with "straw-like [and] dull" hair. One reader says, "I had colored my hair [and] it went a little too dark. I went to a salon … this is what they used to strip my hair of the color. LOL!"
No. 8: Sunsilk Anti-Caida (Anti-Fall) Shampoo, $4.59

Why: Most readers weren't impressed by this. "I don't think this shampoo and conditioner did anything out of the ordinary for my hair," one reader says. Another reader says it gave her "the weirdest breakouts on my upper arms."
Why: Most readers did not find that this enhanced their hair color. Instead it "left my hair rather tangled" and one reader says it actually "stripped away the color!" Others complain that this left them with "straw-like [and] dull" hair. One reader says, "I had colored my hair [and] it went a little too dark. I went to a salon … this is what they used to strip my hair of the color. LOL!"

TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 5.6
Why: The verdict: "This stuff dried my hair out and made my color run." Other readers agree, saying even though "I love the Sunsilk brand … this dried my hair out." The final word: "BAD."
No. 7: TIGI Bed Head Self Absorbed Shampoo, $10.50
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 5.5
Why: Readers feel a bit "blah" about this shampoo. "[Hair] wasn't stripped, but it wasn't very soft or shiny," readers say. While most readers had a so-so experience, one reader says, "my hair [was] so dry and tangle-y that my fingers got stuck in it when I tried to rinse the shampoo out." One reader laments, "Now I have 1 liter of this sitting around. It wasn't completely terrible but I don't use it."
No. 6: John Frieda Radiant Red Color Captivating Shampoo, $5.49
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 5.5
Why: This was a double-whammy disappointment, readers say. One complaint: "[It] made my soft, silky hair rough and tangled … unmanageable." But the biggest problem: "it did not seem to preserve my color at all," readers say. One reader was so sad that "all it did was stain my fingernails and towels red."
No. 5: TIGI Bed Head Moisture Maniac Shampoo, $10.50
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 5.4
Why: While readers do concede that this "smells good," they still can't endorse it. Why? "After using it my hair is rough and hard to brush," one reader says. Readers generally agree that this shampoo is "not nearly as moisturizing as its name leads you to believe."
No. 4: Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar, $5.99
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 5.1
Why: While this may work for short hair, readers with long hair say, "you'll do what I did and give up in the shower the first time." One reader says, "it was pretty difficult to get enough lather to completely get my hair clean, and I ended up in the shower for way longer than I wanted to be." The ultimate un-endorsement: "It made my hair look and feel like pubic hair," one reader says. "Nuff said."
No. 3: TreSemme ColorThrive Brunette Shampoo, $3.99
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 5
Why: Our readers' major complaint with this was its lack of cleaning power. "I have fine, oily hair and must shampoo daily. With this product, I find myself wanting to wash my hair twice a day," one reader says. Another agrees, saying "my hair doesn't feel as clean after I rinse." Other annoyances: "the smell isn't that great" and "three times after I had used it, my scalp was all itchy," one reader says, adding "I'm not [usually] allergic to any shampoo."
No. 2: TreSemme Vitamin B12 & Gelatin Anti-Breakage Shampoo, $6.99
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 4.9
Why: This left readers perplexed: "You'd think that a product that's supposed to inhibit breakage would help moisturize hair, but this really didn't at all," one says. She adds, "This ? actually seemed to dry my hair out even more." Other readers didn't like that "it left my hair feeling waxy (from the gelatin in it) and dry."
No. 1: Samy Smooth Shampoo, $5.99
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 4.3
Why: Smooth? Not so much, readers say. Instead, "it completely left my hair feeling heavy and dry," one reader says. Another adds, "It doesn't smooth, and it leaves hair funky feeling and dry." Fine, oily haired readers didn't like it either. "Made my fine hair greasy," and "made my hair limp and unmanageable, and it always felt dirty," readers say.

ajacks

I saw this article as well. I have only considered using one product on the list, but now I won't even waste my time.

Stepiphanie

Good to know.But I honestly would never pick any of these up. I find most shampoo's to be blah and steere away execpt for ocassinal clarifying.

pookaloo83

GoldenTresses;9176676 [B said:
No. 4: Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar, $5.99[/B]
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 5.1
Why: While this may work for short hair, readers with long hair say, "you'll do what I did and give up in the shower the first time." One reader says, "it was pretty difficult to get enough lather to completely get my hair clean, and I ended up in the shower for way longer than I wanted to be." The ultimate un-endorsement: "It made my hair look and feel like pubic hair," one reader says. "Nuff said."

Well alrighty then! :lachen:

Aggie

I would still purchase and use #2 - Tresemme B12 and Gelatin shampoo because I want to and will follow it up with the complimenting conditioner to replace the softness. Most of those reviews are written by women with oily hair who do not normally follow up with conditioners like we (with dry hair) do.

I have used gealatin in my shampoo nd conditioner and it does leave a very soft feeling on my hair and I liked it because it helped me detangle my hair better. I will try it myself because curiosity has indeed gotten the better of me:grin:.

You see, I use a lot of natural poos and they are stripping too but the minute the corresponding coditioner touches my hair - super soft results.

All the same, thank you GT for posting this. The other poos I don't use and will not use but the gelatin one, I just can't seem to resist that one. I am so ashamed:nono:.

varaneka

dang pubic hair though LOL

well as long as the conditioners are okay I don't mind the weak shampoo formulations

I love my Trader Joe’s Pure Peppermint Castile Soap in liquid form for shampoo =)

dachsies_rule!

No. 1: Samy Smooth Shampoo, $5.99
TotalBeauty.com average reader rating: 4.3
Why: Smooth? Not so much, readers say. Instead, "it completely left my hair feeling heavy and dry," one reader says. Another adds, "It doesn't smooth, and it leaves hair funky feeling and dry." Fine, oily haired readers didn't like it either. "Made my fine hair greasy," and "made my hair limp and unmanageable, and it always felt dirty," readers say.

Wow! I think i'll stick to using my Mizani :lachen:

SvelteVelvet

I've used the Tresemme Anti-Breakage Poo in the past. I do love Tresemme's conditioners because you get so much for cheap and they're great for CW's, especially the Remoisturize condish, gives soooo much slip. Love that stuff.

melodies815

I'm not mad at Pantene's Nature Fusion (or whatever it's called.) My hair actually is stronger and has a better sheen to it than it did before I started using it this summer.

Also...I love the conditioner.

ITA with the poster who said that the reviews were written by people with other than ethnic hair types.

I love my horrible shampoo. :yep:

cj

shunemite

I'm not mad at Pantene's Nature Fusion (or whatever it's called.) My hair actually is stronger and has a better sheen to it than it did before I started using it this summer.

ITA with the poster who said that the reviews were written by people with other than ethnic hair types.

cj

Hey you know what? If it ain't broke don't fix it. I just saw a Youtube video and the girl swears by Blue Magic hair grease. Her hair is longer and thicker than mine, so hey, it works for her, she can keep on doing it. You do you! :grin:

Hysi

i just read it online today and am shocked by the pantene fusion review. i recently purchased it based on this board. ulta had it 3 for $10.:perplexed

jwhitley6

I love my Nature Fusion shampoo...even better than the conditioner. It detangles my hair well and makes it feel stonger. :yep:

I feel like that list is sort of random. I dont use any of those brands but for me I have to label read. If a shampoo has sodium lauryl sulfate or ammonium lauryl sulfate its a no no. Sodium laureth is okay and some other surfactants that I cant remember the name of that are gentler. I will always check the label and I dont care how raved about or expensive it is, if it has lauryl sulfates its poison to me. Thats why I cant use Herbal Essences shampoos, theyre ingredients are dreadful and I can actually smell the ammonia in their shampoos! I could also smell ammonia in Suave shampoos, cant believe I used to use those brands. V05 shampoo and conditioner are the 99 cents and have decent ingredients...

Aggie

I've used the Tresemme Anti-Breakage Poo in the past. I do love Tresemme's conditioners because you get so much for cheap and they're great for CW's, especially the Remoisturize condish, gives soooo much slip. Love that stuff.
Do you remember how you liked the anti-breakage shampoo SvelteVelvet? This is the one I want to try out.

Aggie

cj

That's what I think. Just because these poos didn't work for a hand full of people, it doesn't necessarily mean that they won't for the masses.

Shoots, I used to use Flex poo and conditioner that were laden down in waxes and cones when I was younger and I still had healthy hair on my head.