10 Must-Dos and 10 Absolute-Don'ts of Great Hair Care

hope5506

10 essential must-dos of great hair care.

1. Use the right hare care products for your specific hair type
If your hair is damaged, dry or color-treated, use hair care products formulated to repair this damage and add much-needed shine and resiliency. On the other hand, if your hair is oily, use a deep-cleansing shampoo and light conditioner to keep your hair looking its best. The right products should be at the base of your hair care routine.

2. Get a trim every 6 to 8 weeks
Get a trim every 6 to 8 weeks as part of your regular hair care routine. Even if you are growing your hair longer, it is still vital to make a routine trim a major part of your hair care routine. Snipping ends before they split will keep your hair looking healthy and save you hair care headaches in the end.

3. Use hair care products containing sunscreen
Protect your hair with hair care products that contain sunscreen.

4. Shampoo your hair only when it is dirty
Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to shampoo your hair daily. Doing so can make your hair dry and hard to work with.

5. Turn to a professional for all of your hair care needs
Yes, kitchen beauticians and friends do not cost as much as putting your hair care needs in the hands of a qualified professional, but they often cause blunders that end up costing you more money than if you went to the salon in the first place.

6. Use professional conditioning hair coloring systems
There are many hair coloring systems on the market, and the ones you choose can have a great impact on your hair care costs. Simply put: choose a system that causes minimal damage and conditions hair as it colors. This will save you money when it comes to conditioning hair care products.

7. Stick with one chemical service
In order to keep your hair as healthy as it can be, ask your hair care professional to recommend only one chemical service: color or perm. By only using the service that is perfect for your particular style and needs, you will ensure that your hair stays healthier.

8. Add texture
By adding texture to your style, through perm or cut, you can greatly reduce the time it takes to style and perform your daily hair care routine. And you will look sensational.

9. Choose hair color that compliments your style
With all of the professional coloring techniques available, this part of your hair care regimen has never been easier. From chunky highlights to soft color, you can greatly enhance your style with the right technique.

10. Use a wide-toothed comb when your hair is wet
Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb when it is wet to prevent breakage. The only time you should use a brush during your hair care routine is when your hair is barely damp or dry.

Ten Absolute-Don’ts of Great Hair Care

To avoid all hair care disasters, follow these 10 absolute-don'ts of great hair care.

1. Avoid unprofessional and over-the-counter hair care products whenever you can. Many of these only offer false hopes and promises.

2. Do not cut your own bangs. Leave all of your cutting needs, even bangs, to your hair care professional.

3. Avoid excessive sun, chlorine and salt water during the summer months. Excessive exposure can cause severe damage that is irreversible even if you use the best hair care products.

4. Do not use clarifying hair care products on your tresses more than one time per week. They can strip hair of moisture and essential oils.

5. Do not visit a hair care salon without first getting a referral from someone you can trust. Choosing a salon based on an advertisement or sale alone is very risky.

6. Do not purchase hair color that comes in a box.

7. Never stick with an outdated look because you are afraid of looking different. Styles change for a reason. Ask your hair care professional to bring you into this decade with a new style.

8. Do not straighten your hair with a clothes iron. C'mon, this was so over in the 70s. We have straightening irons now that won't damage your hair. Look in the hair care isle.

9. Don't brush your hair or put too much tension on it while it is still wet. This will cause breakage. Also, do not wear tight styles such as cornrows for extended periods of time unless you have ethnic hair.

10. Never use sun-lightening products such as lemon juice or over-the-counter hair care products designed to lighten hair with the sun unless you want a very short hair cut in the future.

Last edited:

PGirl

If your hair is damaged, dry or color-treated, use hair care products formulated to repair this damage and add much-needed shine and resiliency. On the other hand, if your hair is oily, use a deep-cleansing shampoo and light conditioner to keep your hair looking its best. The right products should be at the base of your hair care routine.

Get a trim every 6 to 8 weeks as part of your regular hair care routine. Even if you are growing your hair longer, it is still vital to make a routine trim a major part of your hair care routine. Snipping ends before they split will keep your hair looking healthy and save you hair care headaches in the end.

Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to shampoo your hair daily. Doing so can make your hair dry and hard to work with.

Yes, kitchen beauticians and friends do not cost as much as putting your hair care needs in the hands of a qualified professional, but they often cause blunders that end up costing you more money than if you went to the salon in the first place.

There are many hair coloring systems on the market, and the ones you choose can have a great impact on your hair care costs. Simply put: choose a system that causes minimal damage and conditions hair as it colors. This will save you money when it comes to conditioning hair care products.

In order to keep your hair as healthy as it can be, ask your hair care professional to recommend only one chemical service: color or perm. By only using the service that is perfect for your particular style and needs, you will ensure that your hair stays healthier.

8. Add texture
By adding texture to your style, through perm or cut, you can greatly reduce the time it takes to style and perform your daily hair care routine. And you will look sensational.

With all of the professional coloring techniques available, this part of your hair care regimen has never been easier. From chunky highlights to soft color, you can greatly enhance your style with the right technique.

Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb when it is wet to prevent breakage. The only time you should use a brush during your hair care routine is when your hair is barely damp or dry.

To avoid all hair care disasters, follow these 10 absolute-don'ts of great hair care.

1. Avoid unprofessional and over-the-counter hair care products whenever you can. Many of these only offer false hopes and promises.

2. Do not cut your own bangs. Leave all of your cutting needs, even bangs, to your hair care professional.

3. Avoid excessive sun, chlorine and salt water during the summer months. Excessive exposure can cause severe damage that is irreversible even if you use the best hair care products.

4. Do not use clarifying hair care products on your tresses more than one time per week. They can strip hair of moisture and essential oils.

5. Do not visit a hair care salon without first getting a referral from someone you can trust. Choosing a salon based on an advertisement or sale alone is very risky.

7. Never stick with an outdated look because you are afraid of looking different. Styles change for a reason. Ask your hair care professional to bring you into this decade with a new style.

8. Do not straighten your hair with a clothes iron. C'mon, this was so over in the 70s. We have straightening irons now that won't damage your hair. Look in the hair care isle.

9. Don't brush your hair or put too much tension on it while it is still wet. This will cause breakage. Also, do not wear tight styles such as cornrows for extended periods of time unless you have ethnic hair.

10. Never use sun-lightening products such as lemon juice or over-the-counter hair care products designed to lighten hair with the sun unless you want a very short hair cut in the future.

Are you a stylist???????

vnaps

goodness....i am perplexed......this is why its good to do heaps of research......u never know what info one person will give.....

Some things I agree with, but the whole 6 to 8 weeks trimming, no, I did that for years and I stayed in the same length for a long time......my friend doesn't cut her hair and her ends and her hair are unbelievable healthy, but thanks for the info though.......

Tee

My first thought was....Not again. These are not in sync with most LHCF practices.

darlingdiva

Some things I agree with, but the whole 6 to 8 weeks trimming, no, I did that for years and I stayed in the same length for a long time......my friend doesn't cut her hair and her ends and her hair are unbelievable healthy, but thanks for the info though.......

I couldn't agree with you more about the trimming. From now on, I'm only clipping knots. Otherwise, I'll do S&D's.

Lady Kay 21

WTF does that mean???

Platinum

WTF does that mean???

:giggle: Hope probably doesn't even know.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

8. Add texture

9. Don't brush your hair or put too much tension on it while it is still wet. This will cause breakage.

Where did this list come from op? "Also, do not wear tight styles such as cornrows for extended periods of time unless you have ethnic hair." :perplexed

trj1922

Maybe hope is a virus?...

You're on the right track. Hope is either some Spam-bot or some sales rep for the company linked in the siggy. I wish folks would just ignore this stuff he/she/it posts because it's nothing but cut and paste garbage generated to get you onto another site where they're trying to sell you something. That's why the advice is either super obvious, utterly ridiculous, and generally out of line with LHCF practices. It is also why you don't see "Hope" engaged in actual conversations like real posters to the board. Notice he/she/it does not respond to threads and never posts anything that sounds original or has a personal voice.

beans4reezy

WOW!!! She Strikes again!! I was wondering why I was disagreeing with so many of those "tips". You think she's trying to sabotage us ladies? I still consider myself a newbie BUT thankfully, I have a mind of my own to know when to disagree...."only trust a hair care professional"..If it wasn't for a hair care professional, I'd be APL by now with $280 still in my pocket!!!:ohwell:

Rae1234

WHY DOES IT SEEM LIKE EVER SO OFTEN A LIST SIMILAR TO THIS POP'S UP IN A THREAD?

I DISAGREE WITH MANY OF THE STATEMENTS ON THIS LIST.