10 Things Professional Hairstylists Want Us To Stop Doing To Our Hair

alex114

@Nightingale yeah, you definitely have a point, but the thing is, she was so unilateral. If she had warned me like that, it would've been fine. But she was just outright like no, and I'm the one who had to tell her yeah, you have to use body art quality henna to avoid those issues.
@mzteaze that's true, as well, but ugh, I hate it when people try to turn you off of things without being fully informed. She didn't even give me the (if you chemically color) part, just the (it'll turn green!!!) part

MsNaturalcurl82

I go to the salon about 2-3 times a year, I've decided to not straighten my hair anymore. I'm learning to dust my ends myself here and there until I find a natural hair stylist who can trim without blow drying my hair. Every natural I know who doesn't go to the salon has great hair. And a lot of these so called "professional beauticians" hair be looking a mess. It's like come on now, how you gonna give someone else advice about what they should be doing when yours looks a mess? These folks be killing me. And coconut oil and shea butter has worked wonders for my hair thank you very much. They're just upset that they are probably losing a lot of money since women have gone natural and started learning how to care for their hair themselves. They just want that $$$.

SmilingElephant

My only issue about these types of claims is, are these rules also being given to women all over the world of different ethnicities/cultures that use shea butter or coconut oil in their hair?

I equate this in my mind to the old school black girl rule of not getting your hair wet more than 2 to 4 weeks bc it's not "white ppls hair". Nobody ever applies it to other women who are not Black that the opposite actually works for. Also, that rule doesn't work for every Black woman. Some of us have hair that THRIVE on water. (I'm one of them).

I'm aware that shea butter/coconut oil does not work for everybody, but there are women everywhere whether Black or not, curly or not, that use these things and they have beautiful and healthy hair. They should instead teach the science behind how we can use these items effectively instead of bossing black women into stopping something that actually works for them.

MizAvalon

A couple of the things I agree with. I would never attempt to cut or color my own hair, I know my limitations.

I went to a natural hair show a few months ago and they had a panel with natural stylists and even they said, "Ladies, we know that many of you do your own hair at home now and we're not trying to discourage you from that but please do not color your own hair." They were cool with you doing everything else yourself except that. There were four of them on the panel and they all said that.

danysedai

My only issue about these types of claims is, are these rules also being given to women all over the world of different ethnicities/cultures that use shea butter or coconut oil in their hair?

I equate this in my mind to the old school black girl rule of not getting your hair wet more than 2 to 4 weeks bc it's not "white ppls hair". Nobody ever applies it to other women who are not Black that the opposite actually works for. Also, that rule doesn't work for every Black woman. Some of us have hair that THRIVE on water. (I'm one of them).

I'm aware that shea butter/coconut oil does not work for everybody, but there are women everywhere whether Black or not, curly or not, that use these things and they have beautiful and healthy hair. They should instead teach the science behind how we can use these items effectively instead of bossing black women into stopping something that actually works for them.

My Indian coworkers SWEAR by coconut oil and they have amazing hair, it has been used in India for centuries. I understand the build up part, or people who think using just that works for moisturizing the hair, but instead of the sensationalistic (sp?) headline they could have advised to clarify your hair from time to time, same as with cones. I keep a jar at home and another at work.

I'm mostly DIY now, I've recently surprised myself that there is finally(!!) a Dominican hairdresser in my city and I haven't felt the need to go see her. Last time I was at a hair salon my amazing hairdresser was still there (she has natural hair and very knowledgeable (where does she get her knowledge besides whatever she learned in school here in Canada? youtube, blogs, forums. After that it was 2 years ago when I wanted bangs, that's it.

cynd

I still love the idea of going to a professional. Unfortunately for me the reality rarely lives up to my expectations. The last time I had a professional do a touch up, I very nicely asked her to make sure she didn't overlap my previously relaxed hair. She looked at me like I was crazy, said she was a ProFESSional, and proceeded to relax my previously relaxed hair. I left with conditioner in my hair.

kupenda

I thinkthere are wayyyy too many horror stories about stylists for this. Im STILL growing out heat damage from a stylist. Any damage i do on my own, is my fault. My risk. But if i pay a gotdamn professional, i expect my ish to be right. Period. ***. See, im getting mad just thinking about it

syze6

If everyone is in the same salon doing hair, stop having different prices for the stylist. Why is one person prices higher than the other? Stop switching the shampoo person because they are important and make a big difference in how one handles and detangles the hair and shampoo/blow dry!

MilkChocolateOne

MsSanz92

Some of the things on the list are valid... But nah. Most stylists in my experience don't know much or give a damn about your hair and are there to collect your money. It's really up to you to baby your hair. I was never a "in the salon every two weeks" type of girl and probably will never be because of how ridiculous some stylists can be. I only go to the salon really for my weaves and braids, and I've been going to the same person for almost 15 years. I do plan on getting my trims done by a salon because I've found someone who did a great job and is knowledge/can handle natural hair well who I'll be returning to. I will probably only go to see her every 3-4 months for a blowout and trim.

Sidenote: Why are natural hair salons/stylists charging so much? I posted in the straight hair naturals thread about the Dominican blowout I got a couple of weeks ago, and how I only paid $40 for a wash, deep condition, blowout, flat iron and trim. I was actually planning on going to a natural hair salon and getting a silk press, but these folks were charging $65+ and my hair is only SL. I got a silk press done back in September and paid $65 for it to only last less than a week. The Dominican blowout I got lasted 2 weeks, even with me not wrapping it some nights and I only paid $40. This is by no means me bashing Black stylists, however I don't feel like simple styles like that should cost that much, especially when they won't last longer than 2 weeks. I pay $80 for my weaves which will last me 2-3 months, why the hell would I pay that or even more for a silk press that will only last 2 weeks? Rant over.

kupenda

^^ the dominican salon near me used to charge $40 for everyone. Now they charge $75 if youre natural or have more than one inch of new growth as a relaxed head. Priced themselves right outta my wallet. $75 is extra. I wouldnt pay it once. Much less twice in a month. And that doesn't count trims, dc, etc. No.

I got a great blowdry and flat iron with a trim at Hair Cuttery. Stylist was gentle. Cost was $73 which included a $10 upcharge for long hair. But she trimmed so much that surely i wont be up charged again. Im shoulder length again but it was my fault. Ends were terrible and had to go. A standard blowdry and flat iron is about $48

Ms Lala

Nope my hair begs to differ. I will keep using my kitchen method to maintain my mbl and beyond hair. No thanks. We were going to stylist for years and stayed bald headed. Any stylist I've encountered always wants to put some chemical or treatment in my hair. I'll stay on youtube thanks.

MsSanz92

^^ the dominican salon near me used to charge $40 for everyone. Now they charge $75 if youre natural or have more than one inch of new growth as a relaxed head. Priced themselves right outta my wallet. $75 is extra. I wouldnt pay it once. Much less twice in a month. And that doesn't count trims, dc, etc. No.

I got a great blowdry and flat iron with a trim at Hair Cuttery. Stylist was gentle. Cost was $73 which included a $10 upcharge for long hair. But she trimmed so much that surely i wont be up charged again. Im shoulder length again but it was my fault. Ends were terrible and had to go. A standard blowdry and flat iron is about $48

Where do you live where your Dominican salon is charging $75?! Jeez that's high! Granted I live in NYC where's there's a Dominican salon practically on every block, and usually wash and sets start at $15. The place I went to actually is a little bit pricier compared to other Dominican salons; they charge $25 for a wash and set, but that includes a deep conditioner, and $35 for a wash and blow.

claudzie

Strolling with Unicorns
Nope my hair begs to differ. I will keep using my kitchen method to maintain my mbl and beyond hair. No thanks. We were going to stylist for years and stayed bald headed. Any stylist I've encountered always wants to put some chemical or treatment in my hair. I'll stay on youtube thanks.
Your hair looks lovely

kupenda

Where do you live where your Dominican salon is charging $75?! Jeez that's high! Granted I live in NYC where's there's a Dominican salon practically on every block, and usually wash and sets start at $15. The place I went to actually is a little bit pricier compared to other Dominican salons; they charge $25 for a wash and set, but that includes a deep conditioner, and $35 for a wash and blow.

This one is in Maryland. They increased their prices quite a bit

MsSanz92

This one is in Maryland. They increased their prices quite a bit
Really? I have a friend who lives in PG and I think she pays around $45. Not sure where she goes but I figure it would still be around that price in MD. Nothing will be as cheap as NYC because of supply and demand, but $75 is ridiculous!

snoop

Bumping.

Revisiting this thread since have become so popular this year.

Has anyone read their book (Wash your Damn Hair)? Is anyone using their method?

I noticed that there was a much older forum thread on no oils/butters (2004? 2007?) where people were talking about a yahoo group discussing no oils/ butters?

If any of the older users are still around, I was wondering how similar the two methods are.

kimpaur

Bumping.

Revisiting this thread since have become so popular this year.

Has anyone read their book (Wash your Damn Hair)? Is anyone using their method?

I noticed that there was a much older forum thread on no oils/butters (2004? 2007?) where people were talking about a yahoo group discussing no oils/ butters?

If any of the older users are still around, I was wondering how similar the two methods are.
The Wash and Go Thread is full of posters who follow those ladies/use those methods

I didn’t read the book but i briefly joined their online salon and watch their YouTube vids/lives, I also stopped using oils and butters and just exclusively WNG now

ThursdayGirl

I am team "Do what works for your hair!" I haven't read their book, but I go to a salon that uses their methods. Prior to switching salons and method, doing my hair was a chore and I tried to avoid it. It was taking me 6 hours to wash, style, and dry my hair. Since going to the new salon, I have been able to knock 2-3 hours off of my wash days and am now able to get in the shower and wash my hair without pre-detangling. I no longer use oils and butters (except what is in my conditioner and leave-in conditioner) and have been wnging for a year this month. My hair is growing and I love the freedom that I have. I use some of the products that they recommend (I think this made a big difference for me because I tangle, but not as badly/not as much and I get a lot less breakage getting the tangles out) but I use a different detangling tool. It is working for me.