10-year-old Girl Dies Two Days After Classroom Fight At South Carolina School

gimbap

So sad, so many questions.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/10-yea...to-hospital-after-a-fight-at-school-has-died/

-----
10-year-old girl dies two days after classroom fight at South Carolina school
BY CAITLIN O'KANE

MARCH 27, 2019 / 12:56 PM / CBS NEWS

A South Carolina fifth grader has died two days after getting into fight that required her to be airlifted from school to the hospital, according to the school district. The 10-year-old from Walterboro, South Carolina, died Wednesday morning at Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, CBS affiliate WCSC reports.

Colleton County Coroner Richard Harvey identified the girl as Raniya Wright. Harvey did not release the cause or manner of death but said an autopsy was scheduled for Friday, WCSC reports.

The school district confirmed the girl's death on Facebook and then suspended its Facebook page shortly after, according to WCSC. "We will temporarily suspend our Facebook page so we can better focus on providing the care that our stakeholders need at this time," the district said in a statement on its website.

While the school district's Facebook page was suspended, they did confirm on their website that the student died on March 27 at 9:39 a.m. "On March 25th, a fifth-grade Forest Hills Elementary School student suffered injuries after a fight occurred in her classroom," a statement on Colleton County Schoool District's website read. "School administrators promptly secured the scene, ended the fight and called emergency medical services to the school."

A student from the school was suspended until an investigation is complete, according to the district's statement. "We are devastated by this news, and we want our communities to keep their thoughts and prayers with the student's family at this time," the statement read.

Colleton County Sheriff's Spokesperson Shalane Lowes did not provide any details about the cause of death because it is under investigation.
https://ultimatepetnutrition.com/cmd.php?ad=908268&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
OMG, this is so horrendous...her poor family!

First, just because she was 10 does not mean the attacker was 10 even if he was a fifth grader. He could be older.

Second, a school history of violence typically does not mean small issues, but violence that includes things like picking up chairs to throw, tearing things down, breaking/smashing school property, violent tantrums, hitting teachers and other students, threats etc.

Third, this is why I am strongly against allowing students with known volatile dangerous and violent tendencies to remain in the regular classroom. Children like this usually need some type of major intervention/treatment and tend to do better in very small, controlled and structured settings.

This should never happen.

Theresamonet

I really get anxiety about my grandchildren. I thought about this incident last night--asking how can I protect them. This was while we were all snuggled together watching "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs."

:nono: I wrote and erased a reply a few times. Everything I have to say is morbid... Spend as much time with your grandchildren, and form as strong a bond as you can. I know you are doing that already, though.

MzRhonda

OMG, this is so horrendous...her poor family!

First, just because she was 10 does not mean the attacker was 10 even if he was a fifth grader. He could be older.

Second, a school history of violence typically does not mean small issues, but violence that includes things like picking up chairs to throw, tearing things down, breaking/smashing school property, violent tantrums, hitting teachers and other students, threats etc.

Third, this is why I am strongly against allowing students with known volatile dangerous and violent tendencies to remain in the regular classroom. Children like this usually need some type of major intervention/treatment and tend to do better in very small, controlled and structured settings.

This should never happen.
I have mentioned that where I am I mean the liability they would be faced with if something bad, like in this case, happens I felt as though from what the reason was I was given beside the fact they are entitled to a FAPE the school would not really be on the hook. :perplexed:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Beautiful Raniya...Rest.

May God comfort her family and give them the justice and closure that they deserve.

VictoriousBrownFlower

what the hell is this world coming to? This girl was just trying to get an education and died for it. I'm honesly scared for us as a society. I grew up in an area where u had to fight to earn respect. Thats prob how her area is. I knew i wasn't like those girls but thank God i could fight. This poor innocent little girl was prob bullied into fighting. and died because she just wanted to go to school.