10-year-old Girl Dies Two Days After Classroom Fight At South Carolina School

moneychaser

I really get anxiety about my grandchildren. I thought about this incident last night--asking how can I protect them. This was while we were all snuggled together watching "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs."

It’s one of the primary reasons I placed my kids in private school. There is a Zero tolerance for bullying and the parents are very involved.

Last edited:

Iwander

");">The New York Times
SUBSCRIBE|LOG IN
Raniya Wright, 10, Died of Natural Causes, Not Because of School Fight, Officials Say

Raniya Wright’s coffin arriving for a celebration of her life in Walterboro, S.C., this month.CreditTracy Glantz/The State, via Associated Press
By Elisabeth Malkin

• April 19, 2019
The death of Raniya Wright, the 10-year-old girl who collapsed after a fight at her South Carolina elementary school a month ago, was caused by a medical condition she was born with, officials said Friday.

According to a study by forensic pathologists at the Medical University of South Carolina, Raniya had a condition called arteriovenous malformation, a tangle of abnormal blood vessels in the brain, and died after one of them ruptured.

There was no sign that the fight contributed to her death, said Duffie Stone, a county prosecutor, who said he would not be filing criminal charges.

The death of Raniya, a fifth grader, caused an outpouring of grief and made national headlines, with her parents and many others demanding answers for how an elementary school could have allowed a fight to lead to a child’s death.

ADVERTISEMENT

But county officials said that was not what occurred.

“There was no evidence of trauma on or inside the body,” Mr. Stone said. “There were no bruises, no cuts, no scrapes, no busted lips, no black eyes.”

The only internal trauma was linked to the ruptured blood vessel inside the brain, he said.

Headaches are a symptom of the condition Raniya had, and she had complained of headaches and dizziness seven times over the past two years, Mr. Stone said at a news conference.

A memorial service for Raniya.CreditTracy Glantz/The State, via Associated Press
But Raniya’s mother and grandfather responded to the medical report with disbelief.

“For three weeks, we were waiting, this is what we get, a cover-up,” said her grandfather, Ernest Wright, speaking at a separate news conference after county officials announced the findings. “Natural causes did not trigger my granddaughter to die.”

ADVERTISEMENT

, Ms. Wright posted a photo of her kissing her daughter’s cheek as Raniya lay in a hospital bed wearing a neck brace and hooked up to tubes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
Did he hit her head? They are talking now about she had no injuries, but? Whille a child without her health issues may have survived, it does not mean that whatever this boy did, did not contribute to her death. He obviously did something or he would never been mentioned in the first place.

I feel bad for both sets of parents. . Afterall, the problem is the system. I still say a big part of the problem lies in allowing kids with known violent behaviors to remain in regular ed.

MzRhonda

Did he hit her head? They are talking now about she had no injuries, but? Whille a child without her health issues may have survived, it does not mean that whatever this boy did, did not contribute to her death. He obviously did something or he would never been mentioned in the first place.

I feel bad for both sets of parents. . Afterall, the problem is the system. I still say a big part of the problem lies in allowing kids with known violent behaviors to remain in regular ed.
At the bolded, I totally agree!