12 inches in 12 months - 2014

fancypants007

This challenge has been extended to include 2014 and beyond.

I hesitated and hesitated to start this thread because so many are on the NJoy Hair Growth challenge, however I was so encouraged by Inspired's success that I decided to start this challenge again but for 2013. I think she has some very good techniques/methods. Technically I started this challenge on April 15th and I was just going to do it myself. But it's always nice to have support from others, which is why I'm giving a shout out to any who are interested in joining me in this challenge. Inspired instructions/rules stays the same except it’s modified for 2013. It’s a little into the year, but let’s do it!

Check-In: April 30, 2013 / May 1, 2014

'Thank' this post to join

You may use all or some of these methods listed below:

1. Scalp massages everyday we should be moisturising everyday even with protective styling so take a few minutes to massage your scalp with your fingers!). If you have soreness, avoid that area of your head and/or do it more gentler like a relaxing gentle massage, these few minutes could be your relaxation and reflection or the day I suggest incorporating oils, e.g a carrier oil mixed with essential oil. My carrier oil will be castor oil and trying mixing it with different essential oils e.g peppermint.
2. Protective styles/low manipulation styles at at least 3 to 5 days out of the week.*
3. No heat until April 30, 2014.*Exceptions for special occasions and if so, stretch out your hair first using Curlformers and/or overnight twist outs/braid outs (detangle first), unravel in the morning, spritz with water spray, blow dry on low heat and always use lots of heat protection! Only use heat if you have to.
4. Mild exercise often, this could be in the form of a brisk walk daily. Alter/cater for your wants/needs.
5. Incorporate either the Green House Effect or baggying method nightly/weekly (depends on what styles you'll be having)
6. Only get trims when necessary and if so use the "search and destroy" method.
7. Moisturize and seal everyday.
8. Whenever you shampoo, co-wash and deep conditioning, pre-poo if you must (particularly coconut oil to reduce swelling), make sure to detangle (includes finger combing) and divide hair into sections when washing it.*
9. In the winter month when wearing hats, wear either a silk bonnet underneath the hat OR have silk lining in the hat to protect hair.
10. Sleep with a silk or satin scarf every night or a silk pillowcase and/or both!
11. Drink lots of water I can assure you that if it wasn't for water, my hair wouldn't have grown to the length it is now. Drink it anyways for your health. Water allows the nutrients to circulate throughout your body.
12. Eat a healthy and BALANCED diet. Make sure to try and incorporate many fruits and vegetables a day. Some foods that really promote hair growth: fish (omega 3 fatty acids), eggs (omega three fatty acids), oranges (full of vitamin c), nuts (particularly almonds which strengthen hair and produces a shine), carrots (full of vitamin A and makes hair shiny), broccoli (calcium), spinach, bananas (full of biotin), meat/fish (protein), etc. As for vegetables, even if you don't like them now, your taste buds will adapt to the tastes and you may start to love them!
13. Take a daily multi-vitamin.
14. Use a growth aid. It can be anything from, e.g CastorOil/JBCO etc *- the list is endless.
15. Reduce stress. Don't worry, be happy! Yoga, meditation, relaxing, simply reduce it because it can slow down hair growth. SLEEP. SMILE. BREATHE - scalp massages in #1 can help!
16. If you are relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning, try your best to stretch your relaxers to as long as you feel is reasonable. Simply try to keep your hair in the best shape possible.
17. Every day, say a positive affirmation about yourself to motivate yourself. If you believe, YOU ARE.
18. Every two months (end of that month) do a length check to see how you are coming along.*
19. Every month simply post on the wall on how you're doing, how much growth you have had etc
20. (20 for 2012!) Last but not least, we are a community, come back to this post as often as possible (I will be checking/posting EVERY day!) to offer/seek support, post any new tips/finds and positive motivational comments (I shall be doing this!).

DATES:

April 30, 2013/ May 1, 2014:

Current Length:
Goal:
Starting Pic: (optional if you don't want to post online, but make sure you take one for your own sake)

I didn't ask for a regimen as I'm hoping you'll be doing most of the above, otherwise please feel free to post your regimen or even better, put it in your signature.

June 30th 2013: Next check-in.

August 30th 2013: Picture check-in. (optional, but still check in)

April 30, 2014:*
Final comparison and update.
--
I’m so excited about starting this challenge. Hopefully I will post a pic in June of where I started and the progress I'm making. Look for the pics in June. I will be back.

Current length: MBL
Goal: Waist length without stretching
Starting Pic:

Last edited:

Channy31

Re: 12 inches in 12 months - 2013

Good luck! I couldnt manage no heat for a whole year but if I could then I'd join.

daae

I'm in.
Lets see where i am at the end of the year....

Current length : APL
Goal Length : WL

Attachments

• DSC_0242.jpg
    DSC_0242.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.

I'm in!

Current Length: BSL
Goal: TBL :lick:
Regimen:

Twice a week:

- HOT with steam for thirty minutes
- dc with steam for an hour
- m&s, then retwist hair; leave hair alone till next wash day
- put on a wig when leaving the house (I wear a silk beanie under the wig).

I plan on incorporating:
- protective styles/low manipulation
- no heat
- exercise 6 days a week
- no trims
- cover my hair with a silk beanie at night
- drink water
- take multi vitamin

Starting picture is attached...

Attachments

• Hair - April 7.jpg
    Hair - April 7.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched

Didn't participate in the last one but I'll give this one a go since I do quite a lot of what's on the list already.

Blessed&higlyflavoured

hullo, I would love to join
My regimen, sulphate free shampoo and protein conditioner once a week. Moisturise and seal daily. cowash biweekly. 99% protective styles. 100% heat. free. drink 2.1 litres of water daily.

Things i have to add
Multivitamin
Pre poo
Scalp massageI have a bottle of castor oil somewhere, ifs not JBCO but it'll do, if i use this for my scalp massages i'll be killing two birds with one stone for my growth aid too
Growth aid
GHE/baggying Actually my hairs really fine and i think this overnight or for an extended amount of time will make my hair waaaay mushy. when and m&s at night i'll stick a heat cap on for ten minutes before i go to bed.
Healthier diet ( its okay but not great)
excercise ( i do some, but nt enough)
Positive affirmation

Last edited:

faithVA

Current Length: EL
Goal: BSB
Starting Pic:
FrontLengthMarch (188x640).jpg

What I Will do to Reach My Goal:
1. Scalp massages 4x a week/inversion poses
2. Moisturize and seal daily
3. Protective styles/low manipulation styles 5 days a week
4. No heat
5. Exercise 4x a week; yoga/walking
6. Baggy/GHE 4x a week
7. Dust every 8 to 12 weeks
8. Wash in sections and finger detangle
9. Sleep with a bonnet
10. Up water intake
11. Eat a healthy and BALANCED diet.
12. Take a daily multi-vitamin.
13. Use a growth aid.
14. Reduce stress. Yoga, meditation, relaxing,
15. Stretch my hair color as long as possible.
16. Visualize hair growth 3x a week
17. Do weekly DCs and monthly protein
18. Every two months do a length check
19. Update thread monthly
20. Cowash 1x to 2x a week
21. Finalize regimen products
22. Use supplements: Biotin, MSM, Kelp, Wheatgrass, herbal teas

Last edited:

Mane Event

I'm in!!! I've been waiting for this! :yay::yay:

My starting pics/regimen are on the way! I just got a fresh trim (2-3in) which felt good but was a little devasting. Anyway, this minor setback is for a BIG come up!

PennyK

I wanna join! I just lurked around on the 2012 thread :lol: My personal 90 day challenge ends in a few days so I'll just overlap and use my length update pic for the ending of that and the beginning of this. I only need 4-5 more inches for my goal, but I'll take everything I can get :grin:

To add:
I'm currently at MBL and I'm slowly workin my way to WL. I'm hoping that these added measures (scalp massages & GHE) will help me reach my goal. I sort of already do everything else.

Couple more inches to WL!!!

Last edited:

fancypants007

Didn't participate in the last one but I'll give this one a go since I do quite a lot of what's on the list already.

Exactly how I feel. It's not just about applying growth oil to your scalp and massaging. She has so many good techniques/methods. I'm serious about this challenge and hopefully will see some good progress. I know now how to post pictures and I never documented my hair journey before so I'm really excited come June to post pics of where I started and where I am. Looking forward to seeing your progress too!

fancypants007

hullo, I would love to join
My regimen, sulphate free shampoo and protein conditioner once a week. Moisturise and seal daily. cowash biweekly. 99% protective styles. 100% heat. free. drink 2.1 litres of water daily.

Things i have to add
Multivitamin
Pre poo
Scalp massageI have a bottle of castor oil somewhere, ifs not JBCO but it'll do, if i use this for my scalp massages i'll be killing two birds with one stone for my growth aid too
Growth aid
GHE/baggying Actually my hairs really fine and i think this overnight or for an extended amount of time will make my hair waaaay mushy. when and m&s at night i'll stick a heat cap on for ten minutes before i go to bed.
Healthier diet ( its okay but not great)
excercise ( i do some, but nt enough)
Positive affirmation

You can do what you can. Inspired stated that you can incorporate some or all of her suggestions into your regime. Personally I don't prepoo. I only do this when I come out of my plaits/braids which is once a month.

fancypants007

I'm in!!! I've been waiting for this! :yay::yay:

My starting pics/regimen are on the way! I just got a fresh trim (2-3in) which felt good but was a little devasting. Anyway, this minor setback is for a BIG come up!

I'm glad you're in. I saw your post about starting this challenge for 2013. I guess I was waiting for you or someone else to start it, but what the heck, we're in. I'm soooo excited about this challenge. Let's stay connected.

fancypants007

Just wanted to add something additional that I will be doing once a month and that is using Roux Porosity Control conditioner. There are many different ways to use it. Here is a link if you're interested http://www.hairliciousinc.com/2008/09/porosity-control-conditioner-101.html

It's also important to keep scalp clean. Since my protective style will be plaits/braids, I use witch hazel every AM and apply to scalp only with cotton ball. On Wednesdays, I give myself an Ayurvedic Scalp Cleanse. I tried this this morningt and it felt good. I poured tea over my head at least 3 times, left it on while I showered and then rinsed off. My scalp is tingly. Her is the link if you're interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrCCSMSIzIQ
These are just a few additional things I will be doing, but for the most part I'm sticking to Inspired's rules for this challenge. Wish everyone the best!

HoneyA

fancypants007 Looking forward to 12 in 12!

TBH, I haven't been taking progress pics but I can take some measurements and track my progress that way. I have no plans to use any kind of heat on any part of my hair before HL.

My basic regimen has stayed the same which is pre-poo, wash and DC weekly and moisturise nightly. I PS daily, only comb 1x a week or every other week. The only thing I have added since my BC is oiling my scalp with castor oil because it was very dry and I wanted to thicken my hair even more.

From the list , the only things I don't do are 5 because I just can't be bothered and 9 because it doesn't apply. The rest I do without thinking about it really.

candie19

current length: an inch above arm pit
goal: mid back length
reggie:
-alternate each wash day with Joico K-Pak and moisture recovery line
- only wash hair once a week
- seal my ends every night and morning (if I have time)
- LOC method every night
- GHE 3x a week
-protective style 5 days a week
- take multivitamin
- juice everyday
-maintain water intake (6 bottles a day)

kennylee2013

I am in. I did the BC yesterday so my profile pic is veerrry current lol. I am doing most of what is suggested......so let's see :)

Mane Event

So after 4+ years and many, many bandwagons (incl a BKT nightmare), I’ve learned a lot and I’m ready to start retaining length again!

I had an epiphany thanks to another thread about Unicorns & Lead hair…Anyway, I realized that each time I went for a “trim” the stylist was cutting ALL my hair to the shortest layer!!!! I always wanted my hair to look healthy regardless of length but this board has proven that’s possible without always cutting “see-through” hair! I've been allowing the stylest to cut all my hair to the shortest layer the past 4 years! ! :wallbash:

I’ve been 1-2” away from BSL and just when I was close, I was back in the salon chair getting my hair laid and.....BAM another “trim” 3-4” gone like that!

I love the thickness of a blunt cut but I’m done with getting my haircut at the salon. I’m going to start dusting on my own (w/ the help of hubby) to retain length.

Current Length - barely passed SL:whyme:
Goal length - BSL

Starting Pic - My most recent see-thru salon haircut :perplexed:perplexed:perplexed
April 3rd, 2013

]

JustGROWwithIt

Current Length: CBL about 2" away from APL
Goal:MBL
Starting Pic: I'll be back later to post my starting pic
Regimen: Pretty much exactly what the OP posted.
This is exciting! Let's get some good growth!

jbwphoto1

Like PennyK, I too have been lurking on the 2012 challenge and like others have stated, I 'm working on a lot of this already. I just really need a good PS. I like wigging it, but need to find a softer, gentler wig cap that allows my scalp to breath. Any suggestions?

I need to start, or start back with, #s 4, 5, 6, 12 and 15. So hold my place!

fancypants007

I was not going to post a pic of my hair until June because I was a little embarrassed because some of my ends are "see-through" but you ladies have encouraged me. I will see where I am in June when I post a pic for the 2 month check in. I never documented my hair journey before so I'm excited to see pics that shows the progress I'm/we're making. Thanks for your support. Here is my starting pic.

Attachments

• mpic.jpg
    mpic.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 149

jesusislove1526

Holding my spot...starting pics to come later this week, along with the other info.

So here it is--
Current Length: MBL-back, BSB/BSL-sides, APL/BSB-front
Goal: WHIP L-back, MBL-sides, BSL-front
Starting Pic: collage below

I do most of the things on the list anyway, but I need to up my exercise.

My primary regimen, in addition to some of the items above:
--95% protective styles-mini braids, twists of different sizes, buns, twistouts
--cowash/DC- 1x per week, moisturizing and light protein conditioners
--shampoo/DC- 1x every 4-5 weeks with loose hair
--GHE-3-5x per week
--Moisturizing and sealing daily-LCO method [3x], regular M&S [4x]

***Sorry for the big hair length check pictures, it is cowash day.

HoneyA

I'm pretty sure my growth rate has sped up since the beginning of this year and my retention has been quite good. I'm going to start measuring sections of my hair on the 1st of each month in the challenge to check my progress.

Last edited:

GalbGamary

I am in and I'll start from tomorrow. I'm already doing some of the rules here but I need to focus on my diet now which I'm happy with food suggestions given in the rules! My Current Length: full shoulder length
Goal: full bra length (crossing fingers)

charmtreese

I'm in! I will not be posting a pic until June (currently in the 2inches in 4 months challenge)

GalbGamary

At the moment my hair is Shoulder Length, relaxed and colored.

I will scalp massage everyday for at least 10mins
I will moisturize and seal in everyday
I will wrap my hair in satin scarf as much as I can during the day to leave my hair alone by avoiding combing and styling
I will use low heat/ protective styles/low manipulation styles during special occasions
During wash days I will scalp oil and massage and use leave in and seal in then blow dry my hair on cool air to help me keep my hair detangled which minimizes my hair falls while combing
I will workout 6 days a week.
I will Drink at least 2L of water a day.
I will use the Green House Effect on Wednesdays.
I will use the baggying method nightly
I will do Aphogee 2 Step protein treatment every 7 week.
I will do Henna monthly
I will get trims when necessary
I will pre-poo with coconut oil and garlic 1hr 2x week
I will DC 2x Week.
I will sleep using satin scarf and silk pillowcase
I will have a healthy diet.
I will take a daily multi-vitamins and multi-minerals.
I will relax my hair between 8-10 weeks.

Ci1988

I've never joined a challenge on here. I would like to join. Im currently between bsb and bsl. I will put up a pic later cuz my app on my phone is crashing. Thanks for the challenge

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130430_063343.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130430_063343.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 67
  • ForumRunner_20130430_063418.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130430_063418.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 44