12 inches in 12 months - 2014

fancypants007

Re: 12 inches in 12 months - 2013

Hi ladies, don't have much of an update. My hair is on autopilot and I'm loving it. Still:
- using the same products, but have enough variety so that I don't get bored.
- washing/DC/prepoo/HOT every 7 to 10 days
- MS daily or every other day depending on how my hair feels
- loving butters
- tension blow drying on wash day
- wearing some kind of bun or twist/bun combo daily
- oiling my scalp a couple of times a week

So far so good, my hair seems to be retaining well and feels great.

Thanks for checking in and I'm so happy to hear that your hair is doing well. I don't know where you live, but we have be getting some unusual frigid temperatures which can wreck havoc on our hair. I try to keep hair protected and hope for the best. It's nice when you find products that your hair responds too. My hair loves Shemoisture products. I'm also back to using jherri juice to keep my hair moisturised. I don't have the drip thing going on, I just use the activator gel to seal in my moisture and pin it up. My hair is loving it.

caliscurls

Thanks for checking in and I'm so happy to hear that your hair is doing well. I don't know where you live, but we have be getting some unusual frigid temperatures which can wreck havoc on our hair. I try to keep hair protected and hope for the best. It's nice when you find products that your hair responds too. My hair loves Shemoisture products. I'm also back to using jherri juice to keep my hair moisturised. I don't have the drip thing going on, I just use the activator gel to seal in my moisture and pin it up. My hair is loving it.

I'm on the west coast, we're having wacky weather too but more on the warm & dry side.....it's like summer never ended. We had literally a handful of what we'd call unusually cold days back in October or November but that's it. Outside of the wreck this causes on the environment and agriculture think it gives me a false sense of seasonal care given we haven't had a winter. This year I'm hoping we get back to normal so I can figure out if my routine works in the winter.

A while back I think me, you, and faithVA were talking about trying to get better at being consistent and it looks like you found your groove :) we did it! Dusting is an area I still have to get better at, I'm due now so am giving myself through the weekend to get it done. If I can keep to my 6-8 week schedule through June then it'll become habit.

fancypants007

I'm on the west coast, we're having wacky weather too but more on the warm & dry side.....it's like summer never ended. We had literally a handful of what we'd call unusually cold days back in October or November but that's it. Outside of the wreck this causes on the environment and agriculture think it gives me a false sense of seasonal care given we haven't had a winter. This year I'm hoping we get back to normal so I can figure out if my routine works in the winter.

A while back I think me, you, and faithVA were talking about trying to get better at being consistent and it looks like you found your groove :) we did it! Dusting is an area I still have to get better at, I'm due now so am giving myself through the weekend to get it done. If I can keep to my 6-8 week schedule through June then it'll become habit.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, it's nice when you find your groove. I feel the same way about dusting/trimming my ends, I have to get better. I recently purchased the Brazilian Split End treatment that you apply to the last 3-4 inches of your hair. I haven't done it yet, but it says it works like a bandaide to help split ends stick together. It supposedly lasts for 1 month and takes only 10 minutes to do. I think I'm going to trim my ends using my Splitender the end of next month and then do this treatment. I will report back later how it works.

fancypants007

Hello everyone, this is the start of another week. How is everyone doing. I hope still on track. I am back on track after getting back from vacation. I prepared my foods yesterday for breakfast (a protein smoothie using brewers yeast, collagen powder, wheat germ, yogurt, fruit etc.) a tomato lentil mixed green soup for lunch and salmon burgers for dinner. I know that eating healthy contributes to hair health and I have been slacking very badly with this. I'm still doing my basics, oiling scalp, massaging and keeping hair moisturised and sealed. I'm hoping to get some good length and I don't want to manipulate my hair that much. I decided to wear clip in hair extensions. I ordered some that looks very much like kinky straight hair but it has a lot of texture to it. Unfortunately, they have to restock and it won't be available until Feb. 7th, but I requested for them to make the clip ins for me which probably will take another week or two. I'm fine with it, and it was nice that they offered a discount because we had to wait. I think I will be just styling my hair in a french braid and leaving it alone for 2-3 days. I'm also practicing the method of fingercombing which is what I want to do for the next several months. I cowash my hair on Tuesdays and I do fingercombing lightly to remove tangles, but on Friday evening before wash day on Saturday, I thoroughly fingercomb my hair, section by section, piece by piece. I did this last Friday using a product called Cowboy Magic and it worked. I divided my hair into 8 plaits and primarily used Kimmeytube's method. If anyone has not tried it, I suggest Cowboy Magic to detangle. It's a concentrated serum like consistency so you only need a little. I fingercombed my hair thoroughly using this serum from roots to ends to eliminate all tangles. It worked. The only thing is Cowboy Magic is pricey, but it will last you a long time. I'm happy with the results and i lost very little hair. I'm only going to use a comb on my hair once a month. I'm trying new techniques to help preserve my hair and hair ends. I really want to start back doing my inversion because I have slacked off, and also I have slacked off from doing the GHE. I think these two techniques really help contribute to health growth but right now I'm limited in doing GHE because it's hard for me to style my hair in a french twist when it's moist/damp. Anyhow, just wanted to share. I'm loving the Neutrogena Triple Repair system that I reported on a few weeks ago. It's great and helps to strength my hair. I use it once a week. Does anyone want to report new products they've used and the results. We all want to share so others can have the same success we have. Stay focused and encouraged and continue to stay true to those regimes.

faithVA

Hello everyone, this is the start of another week. How is everyone doing. I hope still on track. I am back on track after getting back from vacation.

I prepared my foods yesterday for breakfast (a protein smoothie using brewers yeast, collagen powder, wheat germ, yogurt, fruit etc.) a tomato lentil mixed green soup for lunch and salmon burgers for dinner. I know that eating healthy contributes to hair health and I have been slacking very badly with this.

I'm still doing my basics, oiling scalp, massaging and keeping hair moisturised and sealed. I'm hoping to get some good length and I don't want to manipulate my hair that much. I decided to wear clip in hair extensions. I ordered some that looks very much like kinky straight hair but it has a lot of texture to it. Unfortunately, they have to restock and it won't be available until Feb. 7th, but I requested for them to make the clip ins for me which probably will take another week or two. I'm fine with it, and it was nice that they offered a discount because we had to wait. I think I will be just styling my hair in a french braid and leaving it alone for 2-3 days.

I'm also practicing the method of fingercombing which is what I want to do for the next several months. I cowash my hair on Tuesdays and I do fingercombing lightly to remove tangles, but on Friday evening before wash day on Saturday, I thoroughly fingercomb my hair, section by section, piece by piece.

I did this last Friday using a product called Cowboy Magic and it worked. I divided my hair into 8 plaits and primarily used Kimmeytube's method. If anyone has not tried it, I suggest Cowboy Magic to detangle. It's a concentrated serum like consistency so you only need a little. I fingercombed my hair thoroughly using this serum from roots to ends to eliminate all tangles. It worked. The only thing is Cowboy Magic is pricey, but it will last you a long time. I'm happy with the results and i lost very little hair. I'm only going to use a comb on my hair once a month. I'm trying new techniques to help preserve my hair and hair ends.

I really want to start back doing my inversion because I have slacked off, and also I have slacked off from doing the GHE. I think these two techniques really help contribute to health growth but right now I'm limited in doing GHE because it's hard for me to style my hair in a french twist when it's moist/damp. Anyhow, just wanted to share. I'm loving the Neutrogena Triple Repair system that I reported on a few weeks ago. It's great and helps to strength my hair. I use it once a week.

Does anyone want to report new products they've used and the results. We all want to share so others can have the same success we have. Stay focused and encouraged and continue to stay true to those regimes.

Girl, my brain was shutting down. I had to put some spaced in there :lol:

faithVA

The last 3 months have been traumatic for me. My hair went into pure rebellion. It doesn't seem like it was growing and my breakage has reduced my retention to nothing. So I am totally revamping.

My eating is better but still working on improving the level of green vegetables I eat and getting my smoothie in every day. I am getting better with my soup making. I just need to organize my recipes, so I can find them when I need them.

My water intake is the same. I haven't been able to move from 40 oz to 64. I seem to start too late in the day.

I have been more consistent with my vitamins. I moved them to the kitchen so I see them more often.

My exercise is off and on but I am at least doing something 3x a week. I got a new saddle for my bike so I can increase my cycling workouts. And when the weather breaks I will get back to my mid-day walking.

I purchased Natural Oasis products for my hair which consistent of all natural herbs, flowers, oils and ACV. I started using it for the first time on Friday. I think part of my initial is that my cleansing products were drying my hair out and deep conditioning was not helping to restore the moisture. So I have eliminated all of my shampoos, cleansing conditioners etc and just using the Natural Oasis ACV cleanser.

After I use this for a few weeks I will evaluate whether I will keep my conditioners or whether they will follow my shampoos. I am probably getting rid of all of my leave-ins. So the only things I will keep are a protein conditioner, oils, scalp treatments and styling products. But over time I will get rid of a lot of those.

It's too early to tell whether I have turned my problems around, but I can tell in just a few days, that my hair felt better, was easier to manage, looks cleaner and has more shine. I don't think I can salvage the last 1" to 2" of my hair but hopefully I can salvage the rest and be on a brand new track.

I started inversion last night. So hopefully I can improve my retention and get extra growth and get to NL by spring and SL by the end of the year.

fancypants007

The last 3 months have been traumatic for me. My hair went into pure rebellion. It doesn't seem like it was growing and my breakage has reduced my retention to nothing. So I am totally revamping.

My eating is better but still working on improving the level of green vegetables I eat and getting my smoothie in every day. I am getting better with my soup making. I just need to organize my recipes, so I can find them when I need them.

My water intake is the same. I haven't been able to move from 40 oz to 64. I seem to start too late in the day.

I have been more consistent with my vitamins. I moved them to the kitchen so I see them more often.

My exercise is off and on but I am at least doing something 3x a week. I got a new saddle for my bike so I can increase my cycling workouts. And when the weather breaks I will get back to my mid-day walking.

I purchased Natural Oasis products for my hair which consistent of all natural herbs, flowers, oils and ACV. I started using it for the first time on Friday. I think part of my initial is that my cleansing products were drying my hair out and deep conditioning was not helping to restore the moisture. So I have eliminated all of my shampoos, cleansing conditioners etc and just using the Natural Oasis ACV cleanser.

After I use this for a few weeks I will evaluate whether I will keep my conditioners or whether they will follow my shampoos. I am probably getting rid of all of my leave-ins. So the only things I will keep are a protein conditioner, oils, scalp treatments and styling products. But over time I will get rid of a lot of those.

It's too early to tell whether I have turned my problems around, but I can tell in just a few days, that my hair felt better, was easier to manage, looks cleaner and has more shine. I don't think I can salvage the last 1" to 2" of my hair but hopefully I can salvage the rest and be on a brand new track.

I started inversion last night. So hopefully I can improve my retention and get extra growth and get to NL by spring and SL by the end of the year.

I'm sorry to hear about hair rebellion because that is not good but it's nice that you are making adjustment to benefit your hair. Hopefully, the products you are using now will remedy the situation and help you achieve your hair goals.

caliscurls

faithVA gah! I hate it when that happens! It sounds like you're taking the right approach though to get back on track - eliminate products and then introduce new ones gradually. Hopefully things stabilize pretty quickly for you.

candie19

Hey ladies! Checking in. It's been a crazy month. Here's the update on my hair:
- I have lost at least 2 inches due to breakage. I was touching bras trap now I'm back to APL
- Sulfur and cold, dry air isn't my friend. I saw the shedding and thought it was the cold air and me not moisturizing as I should. Once I started back I was still using sulfur and the shedding continued. Stopped the sulfur mix.
- Made a cayenne pepper w/ olive oil mix for my scalp. Love the tingles.
- moisturizing my hair 2x.
- doing greenhouse effect every night.
- doing inversion for the first 7 days of each month
- wearing the "mommy wig" as my protective style
-taking maxi hair vitamins daily
Crossing my fingers!

Mskraizy

Hi ladies. How are you all doing?

I've been doing good, trying to get back in shape a little bit but I just can't seem to get my eating under control. I think I've been emotionally eating a lot. =( I guess just subconscious stress or whatever, it could be.

I don't think my hair is suffering...yet. I haven't deep conditioned my hair in going on 3 weeks and I don't want to start that again because I don't want my hair to start suffering. So I try to keep it moisturized. I haven't washed it in almost 2 weeks just been busy. I just constantly wrap it in a loose bun and I'm back to having my satin bonnet and beanie caps. =/ Just can't seem to leave them behind. So I've been crocheting more beanies......

Hey, if you can't beat em, join em! lol

I can't wait til I can get all these products that I've been wanting to get online. Gonna get some shescentit products, some more oils and things, I'm going to REPLENISH my inventory...sorta.

I wanna try the ceramide thing that I'm hearing about. It's something about restoring the fats in your hair or something like that, when I read it, it made a lot of sense. Something like restoring proteins. What I remember is that the oil that has the highest amount of ceramides is Safflower Oil and next to that Grapeseed Oil. So I do want to try safflower oil, first by itself. And if I like it enough, I'll add it to my oil mix of avocado and castor oil which I love already!

Next to that, I do want to try trimming with the new moon. Since I love trimming my hair these days (uggh I know) I figured why not!!?!?! I'm supposed to be trimming sometime between the fifth and seventh of this month. So I'll go ahead and get that out the way and see if it helps any.

I was also gonna jump on the inversion bandwagon but I figure just a few changes at a time right now. And the only two new things I'll be including in my regimen for trial runs are the lunar trimming thing and the ceramide thing. We'll see..

And also REALLY need to get my eating under control....

faithVA

I put on my scalp treatment, spritzed my hair with a tea spritz and baggying now. I did my inversion and I'm finished for the night. Will get something else to eat and call it a night.

caliscurls

candie19 hopefully you can get the breakage under control. It seems like weather related hair stress is harder to combat at first. Last winters breakage is part of the reason I started using butters this time around. It seems to be working but now I'm curious if my hair will rebel as it gets warmer and need oils instead.

caliscurls

....... haven't deep conditioned my hair in going on 3 weeks and I don't want to start that again because I don't want my hair to start suffering. So I try to keep it moisturized.
Mskraizy does your hair not respond well to deep conditioning or is it just you don't want to mess up the good groove you've got going?

caliscurls

Didn't get a chance (read as didn't feel like :look: ) doing my hair over the weekend so I'm doing it now. SMH, that's how setbacks start so I decided to just get it over with tonight. It's the dusting I'm dreading...,it just takes so long.

So I touched up my roots with black color (Garnier), condition washed with Naturelle Grow Marshmellow Root cleansing cream, and am deep conditioning with heat right now with Naturelle Grow Intense DC with some KV amla brahmi fenugreek oil mixed in since I couldn't do my usual HOT.

After this, I'll tension blow dry and then use the splitender....or just go to bed and do those steps in the morning... :) so far the regular tension blow drying is working well for me. I usually only dry it abt 90%. No breakage as of yet but I think that's also bcz I'm dusting regularly and am continuing the less as more approach between washes

fancypants007

Hey ladies! Checking in. It's been a crazy month. Here's the update on my hair:
- I have lost at least 2 inches due to breakage. I was touching bras trap now I'm back to APL
- Sulfur and cold, dry air isn't my friend. I saw the shedding and thought it was the cold air and me not moisturizing as I should. Once I started back I was still using sulfur and the shedding continued. Stopped the sulfur mix.
- Made a cayenne pepper w/ olive oil mix for my scalp. Love the tingles.
- moisturizing my hair 2x.
- doing greenhouse effect every night.
- doing inversion for the first 7 days of each month
- wearing the "mommy wig" as my protective style
-taking maxi hair vitamins daily
Crossing my fingers!

I hate that when we lose inches. I don't know if I'm going to have to cut the right side of my hair because it's about an inch longer than the left side. I too am working hard not to. It's true about sulfur, some of us just can't use it. I'm glad that you don't seem stressed out about losing those inches. You are being positive which is a good thing and doing what is necessary in order to make up for the lose and hopefully counteract it with additional inches. Routing for you girl. I strongly believe that the GHE is excellent in achieving hair growth. When I was away on my trip that's all I did was wear wigs and moisturise, seal and do GHE and when I got home, it seemed like my hair had thrived from it. Keep doing what you're doing.

fancypants007

Hi ladies. How are you all doing?

I've been doing good, trying to get back in shape a little bit but I just can't seem to get my eating under control. I think I've been emotionally eating a lot. =( I guess just subconscious stress or whatever, it could be.

I don't think my hair is suffering...yet. I haven't deep conditioned my hair in going on 3 weeks and I don't want to start that again because I don't want my hair to start suffering. So I try to keep it moisturized. I haven't washed it in almost 2 weeks just been busy. I just constantly wrap it in a loose bun and I'm back to having my satin bonnet and beanie caps. =/ Just can't seem to leave them behind. So I've been crocheting more beanies......

Hey, if you can't beat em, join em! lol

I can't wait til I can get all these products that I've been wanting to get online. Gonna get some shescentit products, some more oils and things, I'm going to REPLENISH my inventory...sorta.

I wanna try the ceramide thing that I'm hearing about. It's something about restoring the fats in your hair or something like that, when I read it, it made a lot of sense. Something like restoring proteins. What I remember is that the oil that has the highest amount of ceramides is Safflower Oil and next to that Grapeseed Oil. So I do want to try safflower oil, first by itself. And if I like it enough, I'll add it to my oil mix of avocado and castor oil which I love already!

Next to that, I do want to try trimming with the new moon. Since I love trimming my hair these days (uggh I know) I figured why not!!?!?! I'm supposed to be trimming sometime between the fifth and seventh of this month. So I'll go ahead and get that out the way and see if it helps any.

I was also gonna jump on the inversion bandwagon but I figure just a few changes at a time right now. And the only two new things I'll be including in my regimen for trial runs are the lunar trimming thing and the ceramide thing. We'll see..

And also REALLY need to get my eating under control....

Thanks for checking in. Safflower oil is good. It's suppose to mimic our natural sebum which is why I purchased it. Have you heard of LOReal's Nature's Therapy conditioner that has ceramides in it. I use conditioner as a prepoo for about 60 minutes with mixture of oils, powders to stimulate my scalp. I purchased LOReal because the ingredients seemed good. It seems like you are doing good with your hair. Low manipulation is key in helping us gain that length and inches. I'm hoping to achieve this by experimenting with not combing my hair, just fingercombing. I can't wait until the end of this month when I will comb to see if my hair responded. Stay consistent and focused and always stay encouraged and we will get there!

fancypants007

I put on my scalp treatment, spritzed my hair with a tea spritz and baggying now. I did my inversion and I'm finished for the night. Will get something else to eat and call it a night.

Sounds good. I'm really beginning to appreciate the GHE. I think it works wonders in helping create the right environment that is conducive to getting good growth. Keep doing what you're doing.

fancypants007

Didn't get a chance (read as didn't feel like :look: ) doing my hair over the weekend so I'm doing it now. SMH, that's how setbacks start so I decided to just get it over with tonight. It's the dusting I'm dreading...,it just takes so long.

So I touched up my roots with black color (Garnier), condition washed with Naturelle Grow Marshmellow Root cleansing cream, and am deep conditioning with heat right now with Naturelle Grow Intense DC with some KV amla brahmi fenugreek oil mixed in since I couldn't do my usual HOT.

After this, I'll tension blow dry and then use the splitender....or just go to bed and do those steps in the morning... :) so far the regular tension blow drying is working well for me. I usually only dry it abt 90%. No breakage as of yet but I think that's also bcz I'm dusting regularly and am continuing the less as more approach between washes

Staying consistent is sometimes so hard. I have to keep up with my trimming too. You would think because I have the Splitender it would help, but I forget sometimes. I'm glad to hear that you have no breakage due to your regular trims. Encouraging me to stay on point with this technique.

fancypants007

Ms. fancypants007, you are always checking on us and encouraging us. How are you doing? Is everything OK with you?

Oh, thanks for asking. Everything is just fine with my hair. When I took my little vacation and all I did was moisturise and the GHE and when I got back home, I noticed hair growth. It got my attention.

I'm trying to stay focus and consistent just like you ladies and when I help all of you by lending support, I'm helping myself too. I try to check in the beginning of each week to see how everyone is doing. I'm putting myself back on track with healthy eating, exercises, but I still need to work on that inversion. I know this helps tremendously leading to hair growth, but I just can't seem to get motivated. Your example and your consistency is helping me though. I have to get it together with doing it.

caliscurls

Staying consistent is sometimes so hard. I have to keep up with my trimming too. You would think because I have the Splitender it would help, but I forget sometimes. I'm glad to hear that you have no breakage due to your regular trims. Encouraging me to stay on point with this technique.

We can do this fancypants007 ! :) it's like working out, sometimes you dread it until you're done and then you're so happy you stayed the course. That's how I felt last night when I'd finished using the splitender after blow drying.

The only way I can remember though is by marking my wall or phone calendar (and adding several reminders).

faithVA

On point today
...Vitamins...check
...Water...check
...Scalp treatment....check
...Tea spritz....check
...baggying...check
...inversion...check
..brought my lunch...check

Plan to get my exercise in tonight; at least 30 minutes on my bike.

fancypants007

We can do this fancypants007 ! :) it's like working out, sometimes you dread it until you're done and then you're so happy you stayed the course. That's how I felt last night when I'd finished using the splitender after blow drying.

The only way I can remember though is by marking my wall or phone calendar (and adding several reminders).

That's great that you stated that. I make a calendar as a reminder of all the things I need to do to help my hair and I check it off when I complete it. I made the calendar and again, I'm just looking at it, not being consistent. Thanks for the encouragement because we can do this because we're getting down to the wire even though this challenge is going to be ongoing for many of us. I want to get some good growth though, before this challenge ends (May 1, 2014). Yes, we can do it!

fancypants007

On point today
...Vitamins...check
...Water...check
...Tea spritz....check
...baggying...check
...inversion...check
..brought my lunch...check

Plan to get my exercise in tonight; at least 30 minutes on my bike.

Sounds good FaithVA. You are definitely on point!

faithVA

Didn't start off today so well. I went to bed early and then overslept. Don't know what that is about :perplexed:

Last night I had my smoothie and biked for 30 minutes. I did another spritz and applied my scalp treatment but didn't baggy.

...Vitamins...check
...Water...in progress
...brought my lunch...check

Still to be done
...Tea spritz
...baggying
...inversion
...smoothie
...exercise

caliscurls

faithVA I like this check system you've got going on!

Vitamins ^
Inversion ^ (have to at least try!)
M&S and bun ^
Workout ....^
72oz water....^
Lightly oiled scalp^

^=check for me

Last edited:

faithVA

faithVA I like this check system you've got going on!

Vitamins ^
Inversion ^ (have to at least try!)
M&S and bun ^
Workout ....later today
72oz water....in progress

^=check for me

Thank you. I just need to be more consistent with it. I need to go back to the original post and add the other things I want to focus on.

Mskraizy

Mskraizy does your hair not respond well to deep conditioning or is it just you don't want to mess up the good groove you've got going?

My hair LOVES deep conditioning. I mean it thrives without it, but I feel to help keep my hair at an optimum health it requires weekly deep conditionings. I'm looking at my hair right now and it just ain't....naaaah...:lol:

But I did get me some of my trusty ORS deep conditioner, so between tomorrow and Friday, I will be going into my wash day full force. I also got me some cantu shea butter leave in, a trusty staple back in the day. It gave me some of my better twistouts until I started discovering Bee Mine and Shescentit products (but those are coming soon to a PJ near you :lachen:)