12 inches in 12 months - 2014

faithVA

Re: 12 inches in 12 months - 2013

Thanks for those encouraging words. I do feel better, but I'm still going to stop doing what I'm doing. I guess I'm not really giving up, but I'm not putting forth tremendous effort either. Obviously I'm doing something that my hair does not like.

One thing I learned when I put my hair away for 4 days and did nothing to it, when I took it down on Sunday AM to style, my hair was still moisturized. So perhaps I don't need to moisturize every single day.

I promise I won't be leaving. I put in the request to change the thread name, and hopefully she will be doing that soon. Thanks again for your kind words.

I agree with cutting back and reassessing. I stopped doing a lot of stuff as well. I wasn't seeing any results. But we gave it a good run :yep:

If you don't have to moisture every day :yay: Sit back and relax and enjoy the summer.

faithVA

I hope it didn't stay that color. Thanks for letting us know what to expect in the upcoming months. I really hope this transition of low manipulation will benefit my hair because I'm going into the summer doing this style.

Um, yeah it did. :nono: I colored it last night a dark brown. I just couldn't stand it any more. Ash brown and gray hair :nono:

faithVA

caliscurls, I worked with the touch up stick I got from Sally's. I'm definitely glad I got it becasue it got me through some rough spots. But it does fade when you moisturize and just with time. My hair is low porosity though so things don't stick to it well. But even though it faded, it didn't take much to touch it up in the morning. I'm just mad I didn't pick up another one when Sally's had the buy one get one. I don't know what I was thinking.

But the stick only goes so far. So I colored my hair last night with Shea Moisture's Dark Brown. I used the applicator bottle I purchased from Amazon and it came out nicely.

fancypants007

Good to hear fancypants007 I think you're taking the right corrective action. Usually if I'm having a retention problem it's because I'm doing too much...too much handling, too many different products, too much product, too cumbersome of a wash/DC routine. When it gets down to it, less is always more. Lately I've had the PJ bug so to my point above, to avoid a setback I'll have to put the new stuff away and then use it in place of my current similar product for an entire month when the time comes (unless of course there's a bad reaction). Hang in there lady!

Thanks for motivation and sharing your experience. I probably was doing too much. I have changed gears and directions. and my hair will not be handled that much for at least a year. Hoping to see and get some progress.

HanaKuroi

The sun was feeling good on my hair until I remembered Faith and her hair. Then I was fleeing to the car. No more sun on my strands.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

faithVA

[USER=324511 said:
HanaKuroi[/USER];19939963]The sun was feeling good on my hair until I remembered Faith and her hair. Then I was fleeing to the car. No more sun on my strands.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

You have to enjoy the sun sometimes :lol: Maybe just not so much when the sun is high in the sky. And you need some vitamin D.

I don't know if I can be bothered keeping my hair covered at all times. Life's too short.

caliscurls

Checking in...everything is going well. My hair feels good but I think my QOD treatment has worn off, will likely apply the treatment this weekend or next. 5 months went by quick! Only two new things are going on for me:
- bought a huge bottle of Oyin Hair Dew for my kids to share after seeing it pop up in some thread repeatedly as the best moisturizer....I've been going into their bathroom every day to use it since! Lol! Love the scent and the light texture. It really is great AND my kids hair feels great everyday..(this is a miracle :look )
- put myself on a no length check challenge like I alluded to in a previous post. I'm not allowed to check for length until the end of May.

Hope everyone is well!

fancypants007

Checking in...everything is going well. My hair feels good but I think my QOD treatment has worn off, will likely apply the treatment this weekend or next. 5 months went by quick! Only two new things are going on for me:
- bought a huge bottle of Oyin Hair Dew for my kids to share after seeing it pop up in some thread repeatedly as the best moisturizer....I've been going into their bathroom every day to use it since! Lol! Love the scent and the light texture. It really is great AND my kids hair feels great everyday..(this is a miracle :look )
- put myself on a no length check challenge like I alluded to in a previous post. I'm not allowed to check for length until the end of May.

Hope everyone is well!

Thanks for checking in and so happy that things are going well for you. Can't wait to see check in during May.

I have taken a slack approach as you may have already noted from my previous posts. I'm just during the usual. I moisturize my hair now every 2 days, but I do pay attention to my hair ends trying to keep them lubricated.

I just got so discouraged over my length check being basically the same after 2 months. I decided to get crochet braids and will redo them every 8 weeks for a year. I'm just going to leave my hair alone. I will take care of my hair underneath crochet braids and I'm not planning on putting them in until the first week in May. I will post my experience when I get them installed. Hoping for some improvement.

I remember a thread here about another girl who said her hair did not show any additional length for 3 years. I'm going to scope it out and read the posts to see how it can encourage me. I'm glad you ladies are continuing to do well. Stay encouraged and focus despite setbacks. We don't want to give up, but instead we want to channel our energy in a different way in trying to accomplish our goals. I will keep everyone posted.

faithVA

Thanks for checking in and so happy that things are going well for you. Can't wait to see check in during May.

I have taken a slack approach as you may have already noted from my previous posts. I'm just during the usual. I moisturize my hair now every 2 days, but I do pay attention to my hair ends trying to keep them lubricated.

I just got so discouraged over my length check being basically the same after 2 months. I decided to get crochet braids and will redo them every 8 weeks for a year. I'm just going to leave my hair alone. I will take care of my hair underneath crochet braids and I'm not planning on putting them in until the first week in May. I will post my experience when I get them installed. Hoping for some improvement.

I remember a thread here about another girl who said her hair did not show any additional length for 3 years. I'm going to scope it out and read the posts to see how it can encourage me. I'm glad you ladies are continuing to do well. Stay encouraged and focus despite setbacks. We don't want to give up, but instead we want to channel our energy in a different way in trying to accomplish our goals. I will keep everyone posted.

If you find the link, please share. I know sometime this month someone posted an article about terminal length where they stated you would need to wait at least 2 years to determine your hair had reached its terminal length. Not saying you think you are at a terminal length but sometimes our hair is in a resting phase which is why we don't see growth.

faithVA

I am taking it easy as well. I'm cleansing/rinsing/cowashing 2x a week and just leaving my hair in flat twists. My hair doesn't look like it is growing but I must be retaining at least a little bit. My flat twists are a little easier to install now than they were at the beginning of April.

Other than that just doing the basics for good health: water, diet, exercise and vitamins. I could do better in all areas but it's a work in progress.

fancypants007

If you find the link, please share. I know sometime this month someone posted an article about terminal length where they stated you would need to wait at least 2 years to determine your hair had reached its terminal length. Not saying you think you are at a terminal length but sometimes our hair is in a resting phase which is why we don't see growth.

I found the link and was reading the posts yesterday. Here is the link
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=710555&highlight=hair+at+same+length+in+3+years

Probably I was doing too much to my hair. It's interesting because someone said that low manipulation works better for her than protective styling. I'm jumping on the low manipulation regime. When I get crochet braids installed, I will be doing the basics to my hair and nothing else. I will keep everyone posted.

fancypants007

I am taking it easy as well. I'm cleansing/rinsing/cowashing 2x a week and just leaving my hair in flat twists. My hair doesn't look like it is growing but I must be retaining at least a little bit. My flat twists are a little easier to install now than they were at the beginning of April.

Other than that just doing the basics for good health: water, diet, exercise and vitamins. I could do better in all areas but it's a work in progress.

That sounds like a plan. I'm happy to hear that you have noticed improvement since your last install of twists in April. Keep up the good work!

faithVA

I found the link and was reading the posts yesterday. Here is the link
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=710555&highlight=hair+at+same+length+in+3+years

Probably I was doing too much to my hair. It's interesting because someone said that low manipulation works better for her than protective styling. I'm jumping on the low manipulation regime. When I get crochet braids installed, I will be doing the basics to my hair and nothing else. I will keep everyone posted.

I may try out a crochet braid install. I need to see if I can cornrow when I have some spare time. I really don't want to wear extensions during the summer months though. Maybe I will tough it out until the fall.

fancypants007

I just wanted to share with everyone, I put in request to moderators to change title of this thread to reflect 2014. Hopefully, they will do it soon.

faithVA

I really need to update. But now that this thread is bumped I will update next week. I think I can get back to my daily check. Oh that reminds me. I need to go make more moisturizing spritz for next week. :yep:

fancypants007

I really need to update. But now that this thread is bumped I will update next week. I think I can get back to my daily check. Oh that reminds me. I need to go make more moisturizing spritz for next week. :yep:

I don't know how long it takes for them to update thread, but I'll just wait.

Please post your check in anyhow, because the thread is just going to be renamed to 2014, right? I just need all the encouragement I can get.

faithVA

[USER said:
fancypants007;20000765[/USER]]I don't know how long it takes for them to update thread, but I'll just wait.

Please post your check in anyhow, because the thread is just going to be renamed to 2014, right? I just need all the encouragement I can get.

Which moderator did you tag? Where did you do it? What do you want want the name of the thread to be?

fancypants007

Which moderator did you tag? Where did you do it? What do you want want the name of the thread to be?

It was Beverly - Long Hair Care Forum Administrator that responded to my request. I just opened a ticket. She asked me to send her the link of the thread I wanted changed, which I did and I'm just waiting for it to happen.

The change to the title should be "12 inches in 12 months - 2014"

Also the instructions that appear on page 1 should be changed to reflect that the challenge will start on April 30, 2014 to May 1, 2015.

Thanks

faithVA

It was Beverly - Long Hair Care Forum Administrator that responded to my request. I just opened a ticket. She asked me to send her the link of the thread I wanted changed, which I did and I'm just waiting for it to happen.

The change to the title should be "12 inches in 12 months - 2014"

Also the instructions that appear on page 1 should be changed to reflect that the challenge will start on April 30, 2014 to May 1, 2015.

Thanks

Ok. Future reference just mention them in the thread and you want to pick a moderator like Allandra, pebbles or dontspeakdefeat. Beverly probably handed it off to someone. She isn't a moderator.

If she hasn't changed it by Thursday, just mention Allandra or pebbles or dontspeakdefeat in the thread and have them do it. All of the moderators are listed at the very bottom of the Hair Care Tips... main forum thread.

You can change the instructions on the first page yourself. I wouldn't change the original instructions. I would just add that this challenge has been extended to include 2014. That makes it a continuation and then when people view it in the future the post make more sense.

faithVA

I NEED HELP! Female pattern baldness. Any recommendations ladies? :cry:

:bighug:

The easiest way may be to search the forum for previous threads on thinning hair/balding. I also have a thread Healthy Hair and Scalp that may help. There are so many different methods that it would be hard to cover them all here.

Don't be discouraged. If you have caught it early enough it is usually reversible. It just takes some patience.

fancypants007

Ok. Future reference just mention them in the thread and you want to pick a moderator like Allandra, pebbles or dontspeakdefeat. Beverly probably handed it off to someone. She isn't a moderator.

If she hasn't changed it by Thursday, just mention Allandra or pebbles or dontspeakdefeat in the thread and have them do it. All of the moderators are listed at the very bottom of the Hair Care Tips... main forum thread.

You can change the instructions on the first page yourself. I wouldn't change the original instructions. I would just add that this challenge has been extended to include 2014. That makes it a continuation and then when people view it in the future the post make more sense.

Thanks. I will check it out now.

fancypants007

I NEED HELP! Female pattern baldness. Any recommendations ladies? :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear that. Hopefully in your research you will find what you're looking to help counteract this problem. Please keep us posted on how things are going for you.

Mskraizy

Hi ladies. Yet another check in after another hiatus. :ohwell: I'm sorry I keep disappearing on you ladies. Life is just hectic.

And because of that, I've been doing next to NOTHING to my hair. I've been trying to keep up with washing and deep conditioning on a weekly basis, if not within my usual 7 day period, at least within 10-14. And then it goes in a bun or whatever, in my satin cap and in a beanie. I know I said I would start styling my hair more but I just haven't had much time. Beanies are EVIL man. A very necessary EVIL!!!! lol

BUT! I got me some curlformers, and on top of that found a lot of jumbo flexi rods, so I might start stepping up my rollersetting game! I did a curlformer set and while it hadn't dried all the way through when I took it out, I felt it had some SERIOUS potential and I cannot WAIT until I try it again! It's not only that the curls come out so pretty, but it literally feels like I just blowdried my hair. My hair comes out THAT STRAIGHT at the roots. Like I flat ironed it and then curled the hair, I REALLY loved that I could get that look and feel with my hair without using any heat PERIOD.

Why didn't ya'll TELL ME curlformers was the shizznit!!!? :lachen:

I may start doing a curlformer set after every wash day. Mega easy to install and take out and they look just beautiful! I may be burning out this style for the rest of the year.

I DID do a length check and I really see that my hair has grown a LOT in the past 2.5 months. BUT, I'm not going to show you all yet. I'll post pics on here by August. Hopefully by that time, I'll actually be doing a REAL flat iron (finally) and we can make this a genuine reveal. :grin:

HHG ladies!

We're still updating to this thread right? :look:

faithVA

I'm still here. I think the wonderful weather has preoccupied me. I also think we miss your weekly bumps. I will try to remember to bump this thread. Once it drops off the first 3 pages it gets lost.