12 Inches In 12 Months - 2016

Kells

Welcome YestoHair1!
If you haven't already, 'like' the first post and you're in.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Checking in!
Current length: BSB (at shortest layers); MBL (at longest layers)
Goal: Full WL (at shortest layers especially)

The last time I was really active on the forum, it was to reach WL. I did that with a year of protective styling. Knowing for sure I could reach waist length gave me the freedom to experiment a lot more with my hair. Now, I'd really like to nail down my 80-90% WnG regimen so that I can retain and maintain WL with mostly loose hair.
Will post starting pic at start time.

LadyAmani

LOL...I have read about the 'maple syrup' affect. I have also read that fenugreek is used for hair loss. When applied to the scalp, it stimulates growth among other things. You have to soak the seeds then mush and add to a mask.
I have some leftover powder in capsules. Do you think those would still work?

myfaithrising

I'm in!
Currently: APL stretched
Goal: MBL stretched
I'm in crochet braids until next week, I'll post starting pics after the takedown

Is already know I need to get more water in and exercise more, I'll see what other suggestions I can incorporate.

curlytwirly06

I'm in hopefully you ladies can offer me some tips. I have been mod back length in the back and shoulder length in the front for the past 5 years. It grows out, I cut off splits and by the end of a year I am right back where I started. I don't drink enough water or excersise like I should. I don't moisturize daily but my hair is always protective styled and not dry. I get most of my breakage in the shampoo and condition phase of my regimen as my hair is up most of the time. I was also just diagnosed with hypothyroidism which can hinder hair growth.

Aggie

I think I want to do this challenge but it seems awfully time consuming with the GHE and scalp massages and all. It might be more than my schedule will allow but I do want to lurk a bit before I decide. So there, I'm your official lurker for a couple months, lol

Last edited:

SexySin985

I think I want to do this challenge but it seems awfully time consuming with the GHE and scalp massages and all. It might be farore than me schedule will allow but I do want to lurk a bit.before I decide. So there, I'm your official lurker for a coupLe months, lol

Those were just suggestions. You can do as little or as much as you would like. Whatever you feel you need to do to get the 12 inches is up to you, just get them inches:drunk:

jesusislove1526

I will join. I am recommitting myself to a lot of things, and my hair is one of them.
Current length- - MBL stretched
Goal length-- TBL stretched

GHE 3x a week
Castor oil
Multivitamin and Vitamin B Complex
Daily walking or home workout
Moisturizing and sealing every other day
Twists, buns, and twistouts as protective styles
Lots of water
No heat except for length checks
Using my satin bonnet nightly

Working on the balanced diet portion...

I will post my starting picture soon.

cutiepiebabygirl

I'm down.

I chopped WL relaxed hair 2 years ago to go natural.

I have been wearing wigs since then...with the occasional WnG.

I haven't been on the "hair side" since forever. I do alot of this anyway, so it should be a breeze.

Just need to be more accountable. I am lazy with my detangling which is causing SSKs.

Last edited:

Aggie

1. Scalp massages everyday
- using JBCO with added rosemary, peppermint and lavender essential oils on my scalp only. Moisturize using Donna Marie Super Buttercreme or Shea aloe butter from FNWL and sealing with evoo doctored with ylang ylang essential oil for the scent:lick:.

2. Protective styles/low manipulation styles at at least 3 to 5 days out of the week
- using wigs about 95% of the time.

3. No heat until the end of the challenge.
-I rarely use any heat anyway so this would be a breeze.

4. Mild exercise often,
- hardcore exercising already 3-4 days a week so another breeze for me.

5. Incorporate either the Green House Effect or baggying method nightly/weekly,
-This one's a challenge for me because of time.

6. Trims only when absolutely necessary; preferably the "search and destroy" method if you can.
-Last trim was in February this year, next one maybe February next year.

7. Moisturize and seal everyday.
-See my answer to question #1.

8. Whenever you shampoo, co-wash and deep condition, pre-poo if you must (particularly coconut oil to reduce swelling),
- I don't even know why I stopped pre-pooing but this is a great reason to start again. Got lots of coconut oil.

9. In the winter month when wearing hats, wear either a silk bonnet underneath the hat OR have silk lining in the hat to protect hair.
-
I livein the tropics - it is hardly ever cold here, thank God.

10. Sleep with a silk or satin scarf every night or a silk pillowcase and/or both!
-I do have both so this is good for me.

11. Drink lots of water.
-I got a water app for this same purpose a few months ago so I'm okay with this one too.

12. Eat a healthy and BALANCED diet. Make sure to try and incorporate many fruits and vegetables each day. Foods that really promote hair growth: Fish (omega 3 fatty acids), eggs (omega 3 fatty acids), oranges (full of vitamin c), nuts (particularly almonds which strengthen hair and produces a shine), carrots (full of vitamin A and makes hair shiny), broccoli (calcium), spinach, bananas (full of biotin), meat/fish (protein), etc. As for vegetables, even if you don't like them now, your taste buds will adapt to the tastes and you may start to love them!
- Yup, I have got to go out and purchase some fresh fruits and veggies for this as well. I eat them but not as much as I should. I do however detox my body regularly so I believe this helps me a lot.

13. Take a daily multi-vitamin. Currently taking Nature's Way ALIVE, Beautifully Bamboo, Manetabolism, Biotin, Noecell Super Collagen + C and Jarrow Formulas MSM

14. Use a growth aid. It can be anything from CastorOil, JBCO, Sulfur infused oils, supplements etc. The list is endless. -I'm using JBCO and my many daily vitamins.

15. Reduce stress. Don't worry, be happy! Yoga, meditation, relaxing, simply reduce it because it can slow down hair growth. SLEEP. SMILE. BREATHE - scalp massages in #1 can help!
-Breathing, smiling, relaxing, exercising comes easy for me.

16. If you are relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning, try your best to stretch your relaxers to as long as you feel is reasonable. Simply try to keep your hair in the best shape possible.
-I texlax but not often at all. My last texlax was in May and it looks the next one may be in March or May next year.

17. Every day, say a positive affirmation about yourself to motivate yourself. If you believe, YOU ARE.
-I do believe so therefore I AM!

18. Although we're checking in every 3 months; every 2 months do a length check for your own records to see how you are coming along.
-Have to work on this when I take my cornrows down.

19. Every month simply post on the wall on how you're doing, how much growth you have had etc.
-Okay.

20. Last but not least, we are a community, come back to this post as often as possible to offer/seek support, post any new tips/finds and positive motivational comments.
-Done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LENGTH CHECK DATES ARE EVERY 3 MONTHS:
* March 1, 2016.
* June 1, 2016.
*September 1, 2016.
* December 1, 2016 - FINAL REVEAL AND CHALLENGE RESULTS.

Like’ this post to join the challenge and include this info in your post: Done

Current Length: SL
Goal Length Having Retained 12 inches: BSL
Starting Pic:After my cornrow take down. To be added later.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We still have a full month before this challenge starts on December 1, 2015, so no rush on the starting pic. If you would like to wait until closer to the start of the challenge to post your pic, that’s perfectly fine.

prettybyrd

Okay, here's my plan:

Low manipulation styles. Old school updos and WNGs with lots of TLC for my ends.

No (direct) heat until the end of the challenge. I may roller set or flexi rod set at some point. I have a cousin who is getting married this coming spring, so I may change my hair up for her wedding.

Exercise: Walking 5 days a week, strength training 3 days a week

Use castor oil and pumpkin seed oil as growth aid, and massage nightly then GHE in plaits after work until I go to bed

Trims only when absolutely necessary; preferably the "search and destroy" method if you can

Pre-poo, cleanse, and deep condition once a week

Use a silk lined hat

Sleep with a silk or satin scarf every night or a silk pillowcase and/or both!

Water and clean diet

I have been thinking about adding Ayurveda products to my regimen. I'm going to do a bit more research, and then make my decision about my regimen.

Kells

I'm in hopefully you ladies can offer me some tips. I have been mod back length in the back and shoulder length in the front for the past 5 years. It grows out, I cut off splits and by the end of a year I am right back where I started. I don't drink enough water or excersise like I should. I don't moisturize daily but my hair is always protective styled and not dry. I get most of my breakage in the shampoo and condition phase of my regimen as my hair is up most of the time. I was also just diagnosed with hypothyroidism which can hinder hair growth.
Hi @curlytwirly06 from the sounds of it, you're doing 1 trim a year? or how often?
How much do you end up cutting?
If it's what I think it is, it sounds like you end up with see-through wispy ends and could possibly stand to do a little more frequent dusting or search-and-destroy to prevent the ends from splitting up too far and breaking.

What kind of shampoo and conditioner are you using?
SL is that sucky stage for the ends, so you'd really have to tweak the regimen a bit to really baby those front ends.
All that said, I know it must be hard to know how much of a role hypothyroid plays in breakage for you.

Will you be able to submit a picture later?

curlytwirly06

Hi @curlytwirly06 from the sounds of it, you're doing 1 trim a year? or how often?
How much do you end up cutting?
If it's what I think it is, it sounds like you end up with see-through wispy ends and could possibly stand to do a little more frequent dusting or search-and-destroy to prevent the ends from splitting up too far and breaking.

What kind of shampoo and conditioner are you using?
SL is that sucky stage for the ends, so you'd really have to tweak the regimen a bit to really baby those front ends.
All that said, I know it must be hard to know how much of a role hypothyroid plays in breakage for you.

Will you be able to submit a picture later?

I really want to but I am in braids right now so I will update my post when I take them out. I actually trim once a month/ every 6 weeks because if I dont I dont like the feel of my ends. I also think I am going to start using black castor oil to seal my ends and start doing so more than once a week. I dont have the time or patience for search and destroying so I just do mini twists and snip off the ends. I am still searching for a tried and true shampoo / and conditioner. If you have any suggestions I would gladly take them. I use so much product throughout the week that if I dont shampoo with a clarifying shampoo at the end my deep conditioner wont take as well and neither do my leave- ins. Right now I am looking for a shampoo that is a clarify that I can use on a weekly bases and a conditioner that actually has enough slip for me to detangle.

Hypothyroidism defiantly plays a big part in my stunted growth but hopefully I can work past it.

YesToHair!

4C/hi-po/Fine strands/med-low density.
Scalp oiled + 5min massage....check
5min Inversion.... check
3L water intake... check

Now for that walk!...can't wait for challenge to officially begin:blush:

Kells

I really want to but I am in braids right now so I will update my post when I take them out. I actually trim once a month/ every 6 weeks because if I dont I dont like the feel of my ends. I also think I am going to start using black castor oil to seal my ends and start doing so more than once a week. I dont have the time or patience for search and destroying so I just do mini twists and snip off the ends. I am still searching for a tried and true shampoo / and conditioner. If you have any suggestions I would gladly take them. I use so much product throughout the week that if I dont shampoo with a clarifying shampoo at the end my deep conditioner wont take as well and neither do my leave- ins. Right now I am looking for a shampoo that is a clarify that I can use on a weekly bases and a conditioner that actually has enough slip for me to detangle.

Hypothyroidism defiantly plays a big part in my stunted growth but hopefully I can work past it.
Okay, sounds like you've been doing a lot lol
I hear you on having no patience for S&D; I don't either. I just do a straight trim.
How much are you trimming 4-6 weeks? Hopefully not up to half an inch.

In terms of shampoo and conditioner, IDK what you've tried already but Shea Moisture would be a good start. No cones, parabens, and all that extra stuff in it and there are sets to address whatever issue you have.

What products are you using on your hair throughout the week? Cleansing, conditioning, styling and all.
If you don't have this book yet; buy it. It should help you a lot.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Science-Black-Hair-Comprehensive/dp/0984518428

LadyAmani

I had to stop doing GHE. It was leaving me with chest congestion or something with my sinuses. I felt like i had a cold. I have been doing cardio on the elliptical for 30 mins every night instead.

EthansMama

I'd like join!
This is my first post too I've lurked on and off for years and recently joined again this summer. I need the accountability of this challenge so here goes:

1. Scalp massages everyday. We should be moisturizing everyday even with protective styling so take a few minutes to massage your scalp with your fingers!. If you have soreness, avoid that area of your head and/or do it more gentler like a relaxing gentle massage; these few minutes could be your relaxation and reflection time. Feel free to incorporate stimulating/nourishing essential oils to your carrier oil. Yes

2. Protective styles/low manipulation styles at at least 3 to 5 days out of the week. Crotchet braids for 6-8 weeks, 1-2 weeks off for the next year.

4. Mild exercise often, this could be in the form of a brisk walk daily. Alter for your wants and needs. Walking daily as part of my commute.

5. Incorporate either the Green House Effect or baggying method nightly/weekly, (depends on what styles you'll be wearing) Yes, nightly.

6. Trims only when absolutely necessary; preferably the "search and destroy" method if you can. Every 8-16 weeks after braids.

7. Moisturize and seal everyday.
Will spray braids with S-curl and seal with safflower oil every few days.

8. Whenever you shampoo, co-wash and deep condition, pre-poo if you must (particularly coconut oil to reduce swelling), make sure to detangle (includes finger combing) and divide hair into sections when washing it. Yes, will wash once a week.

10. Sleep with a silk or satin scarf every night or a silk pillowcase and/or both! Yes, silk scarf over baggy.

11. Drink lots of water. I can assure you that if it wasn't for water, my hair wouldn't have grown to the length it is now. Drink it anyways for your health. Water allows the nutrients to circulate throughout your body. Yes

12. Eat a healthy and BALANCED diet. Make sure to try and incorporate many fruits and vegetables each day. Foods that really promote hair growth: Fish (omega 3 fatty acids), eggs (omega 3 fatty acids), oranges (full of vitamin c), nuts (particularly almonds which strengthen hair and produces a shine), carrots (full of vitamin A and makes hair shiny), broccoli (calcium), spinach, bananas (full of biotin), meat/fish (protein), etc. As for vegetables, even if you don't like them now, your taste buds will adapt to the tastes and you may start to love them! Yes! I've been having the Drink your way to waist length shake every morning since August, spinach salad for lunch 3-5 times a week, a cup of carrot juice and a cup of daily greens veggie juice each daily.

13. Take a daily multi-vitamin. Yes! I take gummy multi, gummy biotin (Natures Bounty),msm, bamboo, collagen, vitamin C and protein powder and Mineral Rich in my morning shake.

14. Use a growth aid. It can be anything from CastorOil, JBCO, Sulfur infused oils, supplements etc. The list is endless. Yes. I've used various oils but will start a new mix today of MTG, MN, JBCO and peppermint oil. Since I've been in braids I also spray a mix of water, aloe Vera juice, msm, peppermint, tea tree and eucalyptus oils on my scalp every morning for scalp health.

15. Reduce stress. Don't worry, be happy! Yoga, meditation, relaxing, simply reduce it because it can slow down hair growth. SLEEP. SMILE. BREATHE - scalp massages in #1 can help! Trying to get more sleep, lol!

17. Every day, say a positive affirmation about yourself to motivate yourself. If you believe, YOU ARE. Believing God that I'll regrow my bald spots and have healthy hair everyday!

18. Although we're checking in every 3 months; every 2 months do a length check for your own records to see how you are coming along. Will do.

19. Every month simply post on the wall on how you're doing, how much growth you have had etc. Will do.

20. Last but not least, we are a community, come back to this post as often as possible to offer/seek support, post any new tips/finds and positive motivational comments. Yes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LENGTH CHECK DATES ARE EVERY 3 MONTHS:
* March 1, 2016.
* June 1, 2016.
*September 1, 2016.
* December 1, 2016 - FINAL REVEAL AND CHALLENGE RESULTS.

‘Like’ this post to join the challenge and include this info in your post: Done

Current Length: CBL in back, lip length in the front.
Goal Length Having Retained 12 inches: MBL

I'm currently in crotchet braids so will post a starting pic at takedown which would be mid to late December if that's ok.

Happy Hair Growing!

An_gell

Current Length:BSB/BSL
Goal LengthHaving Retained 12 inches: full Mid back
Starting Pic:

Attachments

• IMG_0240-1.jpg
    IMG_0240-1.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 36

Ajna

I have been lurking on this thread for the past week. I kind of gave up on growth for the past year not saying I did not want it to grow but I wanted to figure out a routine and all of that.

Now that I have a reggie that works for me I wonder can I actually grow 12 inches in a year? The top of my hair grows super slow and the back is like a weed which is a mess when wearing it curly. But I think I am going to do the bun thing for the winter and while I love a trim I wonder if I seek and destroy every month could I save a lot of money and keep some length??

Not sure all of what I am going to do but I am so willing to try.

LdyKamz

Can I lurk in here? I feel a bit overwhelmed with the planning part of it but I know I want to grow out my hair especially since I just gave myself a hair cut. The check in dates would probably keep me on track with my regular trims and what not.

bluenvy

I'm in! This will be a real challenge, But 12 inches in 12 months I'm up in here.

Current Length: Grazing BSL
Goal Length Having Retained 12 Inches: Between Waist and whip
Starting Pic: Below

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 32

EthansMama

I have been lurking on this thread for the past week. I kind of gave up on growth for the past year not saying I did not want it to grow but I wanted to figure out a routine and all of that.

Now that I have a reggie that works for me I wonder can I actually grow 12 inches in a year? The top of my hair grows super slow and the back is like a weed which is a mess when wearing it curly. But I think I am going to do the bun thing for the winter and while I love a trim I wonder if I seek and destroy every month could I save a lot of money and keep some length??

Not sure all of what I am going to do but I am so willing to try.

Ajna my hair grows the same way, slow in the top and sides and much faster in the back, feels like I'm growing a mullet sometimes! I'm massaging the front longer every night in hopes that growth in that area will catch up.