12 Inches In 12 Months - 2017

Kells

Challenge: 12/01/2016 – 12/01/2017
(THIS IS AN OPEN CHALLENGE; JOIN ANYTIME YOU WANT. ALTHOUGH THE EARLIER, THE BETTER)

Hello All,

We're doing an additional round of 12 in 12, 2017.

Instructions, rules, tips and suggestions from previous challenges remain the same with a variation on the check-ins.
Suggestions were lightly edited from original post for clarity and relevance to current day.
'Like' this post to join
You may use all or some of these methods listed below and remember THESE ARE MERELY SUGGESTIONS to help you gain a whole inch in a month, definitely NOT ALL ARE MANDATORY.
You can implement any or all of these methods to whatever suits you best and you may change them at your leisure.

Currently, there are 20 suggestions in total.

1. Scalp massages everyday. We should be moisturizing everyday even with protective styling so take a few minutes to massage your scalp with your fingers!. If you have soreness, avoid that area of your head and/or do it more gentler like a relaxing gentle massage; these few minutes could be your relaxation and reflection time. Feel free to incorporate stimulating/nourishing essential oils to your carrier oil.

2. Protective styles/low manipulation styles at at least 3 to 5 days out of the week.

3. No heat until the end of the challenge. *Exceptions for special occasions; just be sure to maximize your level of heat protection and use minimal handling when and where possible.

4. Mild exercise often, this could be in the form of a brisk walk daily. Alter for your wants and needs.

5. Incorporate either the Green House Effect or baggying method nightly/weekly, (depends on what styles you'll be wearing)

6. Trims only when absolutely necessary; preferably the "search and destroy" method if you can.

7. Moisturize and seal everyday.

8. Whenever you shampoo, co-wash and deep condition, pre-poo if you must (particularly coconut oil to reduce swelling), make sure to detangle (includes finger combing) and divide hair into sections when washing it.

9. In the winter month when wearing hats, wear either a silk bonnet underneath the hat OR have silk lining in the hat to protect hair.

10. Sleep with a silk or satin scarf every night or a silk pillowcase and/or both!

11. Drink lots of water. I can assure you that if it wasn't for water, my hair wouldn't have grown to the length it is now. Drink it anyways for your health. Water allows the nutrients to circulate throughout your body.

12. Eat a healthy and BALANCED diet. Make sure to try and incorporate many fruits and vegetables each day. Foods that really promote hair growth: Fish (omega 3 fatty acids), eggs (omega 3 fatty acids), oranges (full of vitamin c), nuts (particularly almonds which strengthen hair and produces a shine), carrots (full of vitamin A and makes hair shiny), broccoli (calcium), spinach, bananas (full of biotin), meat/fish (protein), etc. As for vegetables, even if you don't like them now, your taste buds will adapt to the tastes and you may start to love them!

13. Take a daily multi-vitamin.

14. Use a growth aid. It can be anything from CastorOil, JBCO, Sulfur infused oils, supplements etc. The list is endless.

15. Reduce stress. Don't worry, be happy! Yoga, meditation, relaxing, simply reduce it because it can slow down hair growth. SLEEP. SMILE. BREATHE - scalp massages in #1 can help!

16. If you are relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning, try your best to stretch your relaxers to as long as you feel is reasonable. Simply try to keep your hair in the best shape possible.

17. Every day, say a positive affirmation about yourself to motivate yourself. If you believe, YOU ARE.

18. Although we're checking in every 3 months; every 2 months do a length check for your own records to see how you are coming along.

19. Every month simply post on the wall on how you're doing, how much growth you have had etc.

20. Last but not least, we are a community, come back to this post as often as possible to offer/seek support, post any new tips/finds and positive motivational comments.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LENGTH CHECK DATES ARE EVERY 3 MONTHS:
* March 1, 2017.
* June 1, 2017.
*September 1, 2017.
* December 1, 2017 - FINAL REVEAL AND CHALLENGE RESULTS.

‘Like’ this post to join the challenge and include this info in your post:

Current Length:
Goal Length Having Retained 12 inches:
Starting Pic:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We 2 weeks before this challenge starts on December 1, 2016; If you would like to wait until closer to the start of the challenge to post your pic, that’s perfectly fine.

Kells

Great tips OP Kells!
Thank you pinkopulence, I can't take any credit though. Its a cut and paste from previous challenges.

As always though, you're welcome to utilize any unlisted techniques of your own to your regimen.

So if you or any other ladies want me to add a technique you'd like to share or suggest, I'll glady add it to the list :)

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Current Length: My current length is APL although Im thinking that Im BSL

Goal Length Having Retained 12 inch: I do believe that 12 inches would more then be enough to get me to my goal of hip length. I have never grown an inch in a month. I will be taking Silica, Hair Skin Nails Gummies, drinking Bamboo Tea, and I will also practice protective styling and lots of moisture ! !!
Starting Picture: I just took this picture since I just took down my locs.

Attachments

• C360_2017-01-16-22-40-02-204.jpg
    C360_2017-01-16-22-40-02-204.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Gr8ness83

I'm in!

1. Scalp massages everyday. We should be moisturizing everyday even with protective styling so take a few minutes to massage your scalp with your fingers!. If you have soreness, avoid that area of your head and/or do it more gentler like a relaxing gentle massage; these few minutes could be your relaxation and reflection time. Feel free to incorporate stimulating/nourishing essential oils to your carrier oil.
I massage my scalp on a daily basis and I rotate which oils I use. Primarily, I use JBCO, coconut oil, Hair Trigger, MTG mixture, or NJoys sulfur oil mix. It all depends on what I have been doing to my hair and what I feel my scalp needs. I also (try to) do inversion each month.

2. Protective styles/low manipulation styles at at least 3 to 5 days out of the week.
Since I took my faux locs protective style out, I generally try to wear my hair out and manipulate it as little as possible but I do have to wear it off my collar for work so I have to find a "go-to" style that can last multiple work days with minimal touch ups required.

3. No heat until the end of the challenge. *Exceptions for special occasions; just be sure to maximize your level of heat protection and use minimal handling when and where possible.
I haven't flat ironed my hair in years, only a small portion in the back for length checks so I don't think this will be a problem for me. If I do, I will only do it, as stated, for special occasions.

4. Mild exercise often, this could be in the form of a brisk walk daily. Alter for your wants and needs.
I try to exercise (intensely) at least 5-6 days of the week.

5. Incorporate either the Green House Effect or baggying method nightly/weekly, (depends on what styles you'll be wearing)
This will be based on whether or not I can find a good method for this process. Since I have fine hair, I tend to get tangles. My scalp benefits but my hair can sometimes suffer.

6. Trims only when absolutely necessary; preferably the "search and destroy" method if you can.
I generally use the search and destroy method but I will trim when necessary.

7. Moisturize and seal everyday.
Done and done.

8. Whenever you shampoo, co-wash and deep condition, pre-poo if you must (particularly coconut oil to reduce swelling), make sure to detangle (includes finger combing) and divide hair into sections when washing it.
I just began pre-pooing with coconut oil. I finger detangle and only recently found it necessary and beneficial. to divide my hair into sections when I am washing it.

9. In the winter month when wearing hats, wear either a silk bonnet underneath the hat OR have silk lining in the hat to protect hair.
I have to wear a hat for work but I think I can get away with wearing a silk scarf under a beanie during the Winter months. Otherwise, I don't like wearing hats, I'll have to find an alternative or I may choose to opt out of this guideline...

10. Sleep with a silk or satin scarf every night or a silk pillowcase and/or both!

I am FINALLY diligent in doing this.

11. Drink lots of water. I can assure you that if it wasn't for water, my hair wouldn't have grown to the length it is now. Drink it anyways for your health. Water allows the nutrients to circulate throughout your body.
I have been getting just under 1 gallon of water a day, I am trying to get up to 1 gallon a day, minimum... That's a lot of bathroom trips, although since I started, I have gotten soo many compliments on my skin, so it is worth it.

12. Eat a healthy and BALANCED diet. Make sure to try and incorporate many fruits and vegetables each day. Foods that really promote hair growth: Fish (omega 3 fatty acids), eggs (omega 3 fatty acids), oranges (full of vitamin c), nuts (particularly almonds which strengthen hair and produces a shine), carrots (full of vitamin A and makes hair shiny), broccoli (calcium), spinach, bananas (full of biotin), meat/fish (protein), etc. As for vegetables, even if you don't like them now, your taste buds will adapt to the tastes and you may start to love them!
This is already a habit of mine, I rarely eat junk foods. I would like to establish my garden though, that will make this easier and less expensive.

13. Take a daily multi-vitamin.
I take daily vitamins but not a multi-vitamin. I will need to do some research on a good multi-vitamin to take.

14. Use a growth aid. It can be anything from CastorOil, JBCO, Sulfur infused oils, supplements etc. The list is endless.
I primarily use JBCO, coconut oil, Hair Trigger, MTG mixture, or NJoys sulfur oil mix.

15. Reduce stress. Don't worry, be happy! Yoga, meditation, relaxing, simply reduce it because it can slow down hair growth. SLEEP. SMILE. BREATHE - scalp massages in #1 can help!
I just purchased a yoga swing and I am trying to be more diligent in doing yoga on a regular basis.

16. If you are relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning, try your best to stretch your relaxers to as long as you feel is reasonable. Simply try to keep your hair in the best shape possible.

17. Every day, say a positive affirmation about yourself to motivate yourself. If you believe, YOU ARE.
Check
18. Although we're checking in every 3 months; every 2 months do a length check for your own records to see how you are coming along.
Check

19. Every month simply post on the wall on how you're doing, how much growth you have had etc.
I will try!
20. Last but not least, we are a community, come back to this post as often as possible to offer/seek support, post any new tips/finds and positive motivational comments.

Philippians413

Current Length: Different lengths all over, but for the sake of keeping track of inches: 12 inches front and center, 9 1/2 inches back and center

ETA: I saw a few split ends in the front and got a wee bit scissor happy, :look: so the front, center now measures at 7 inches.

Goal Length Having Retained 12 inches: 19 inches in the front, 21 1/2 inches in the back

Starting Pic: *French Braid take down on 7 day old flat ironed hair--hair is APL*

Last edited:

EzrasNumberOneFan

TheLORDisMyShepherd