12 Inches In 12 Months - 2017

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I can't seem to be able to do an oil rinse without soaking my hair with oil for some reason.
Lighten up on the oil and conditioner; you will be surprised at how little you need. Also, the amount of time you leave the conditioner on plays a role. Since I am detangling with oil under the shower, much of it gets removed in the process.

Have you tried Redken shampoos yet? The cleamy clarifying one gets great reviews.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Thus far, I feel like I have barely gained and retained 2 inches this year. Maybe 3 or 4. My hair needs to stop playing with me. This always happens after I get beyond waist length. It starts to creep in growth and length and shifts to 'slow motion' growth mode. Got to be patient.

But I've enjoyed being in this challenge, though.

Last edited:

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Ok. I need some extra help here. Its the end of the year and I dont think I retained any length since June. Heres my Reggie....Please help with where I may go wong:
  • I Braid my hair in about 18 plaits. (4 weeks at a time) added a small bit of extentions
  • I oil nightly (either CP oil, NJoy oil or my home made Caffeine oil)
  • I add a moisture mix every other night to the braids. (Kinky Kurly Knot Today mixed with Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner and water)
  • I keep my hair covered 24/7 only taking down for oils, moisturizer and steam in shower
  • Deep Condition after take down
  • Protien treatment during take down
  • May do a clay mask
  • Braid back up after no more then 5 days down
Im gonna start the 7 day Inversion this month
***Starting the Inversion method over after 3 days and dropping the ball...smh

Sooooo, tell me where is my problem....
Thank you

Evolving78

Ok. I need some extra help here. Its the end of the year and I dont think I retained any length since June. Heres my Reggie....Please help with where I may go wong:
  • I Braid my hair in about 18 plaits. (4 weeks at a time) added a small bit of extentions
  • I add a moisture mix every other night to the braids. (Kinky Kurly Knot Today mixed with Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner and water)
  • I keep my hair covered 24/7 only taking down for oils, moisturizer and steam in shower
  • May do a clay mask

Thank you
You need to shampoo your hair.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
  • May do a clay mask

Thank you
Too much caffeine can stunt hair growth. Once a week is enough.

Chicoro

• May do a clay mask

Thank you

Did your hair get fuller at its current length? Did the ends 'thicken' up?

Chicoro

Yes, I feel like it got fuller.... I have extremely fine hair so to me its noticeably fuller...

@NCHairDiva Then, there you go!

I could be wrong but here is my assessment of your hair situation:

I don't think the issue is that you didn't 'retain length'. I think you did keep the length you already had. To be very clear, I am saying that I don't think your hair got shorter. You did not lose any length. Is that correct? The hair stayed at relatively the same length, right?

But, at the same time your hair didn't GAIN any additional length. Meaning, your hair didn't get any longer either.

Yet, you clearly noticed a change in your hair. That change had to do with the thickness and fullness.

My feeling is that your hair has been going through a thickening period. It just simply means that your hair is working and responding positively to the care you are giving it. It is getting thicker and fuller at the current length. Once the hair does that, it then drops in length again and starts to get noticeably longer. This dropping in length period will be when pulling sections of your natural hair down, will show gains in length.

It's a fairly common growth pattern that I have seen over and over. It happens with my hair as well. It is very hard to see and notice if you are only pulling on a section of your hair to do a length check.

One of the best ways to see this pattern of 'dropping in length', then 'thickening' at that length is to heat straighten the hair and then take a picture of the back of your hair.

In a 'thickening' stage, you will notice in the pictures that the longest part of the hair stays at the same length. BUT, you will be able to other areas getting fuller, like maybe the sides, the center of the hair or the middle. What parts get thicker depends on the hair of the individual.

If your 'length' checks are being done like your photo in your avatar, it is not very likely that you will be able to see the 'thickening' stage. The thickening of hair IS PROGRESS. One of the best ways to see 'thickening' progress is to take a length check picture on heat straightened hair, with the back to the camera. It is virtually impossible to see small areas of thickening when you pull down only sections at a time, on hair that is still in its natural state. It becomes even more complex if one is not aware of the fact that 'thickening' stages occur.

Pulling hair down is a GREAT way to check for progress when your hair is dropping in length, or getting longer and that length gain is noticeable. It is not the best way to see thickening, though. Heat straightening for 'length check' [or thickening check] can be done a minimum of 1x in a 12 month time period, but no more than 2x a year. By heat straightening only a maximum of 2 times per year, you have a better chance to avoid heat damage, whether it be cumulative or immediate. Attention! There is no guaranteed way to avoid heat damage. Every time one puts heat on the hair, one always runs the risk of having heat damage.

This is why I encourage people to document progress with photos. Ideally, with straight hair, especially when you are trying to determine if your regimen is working for you.

Once you get on track with your regimen, and you know it's working, you can skip the heat straightened hair.

Two (2)final things to add.

1. You may want to look through the thread again, specifically posts #304 to #307 to review the suggestions people have provided. I think this will help you to tighten up, tweak and fine tune your current regimen to help super charge it! Notice, I did not suggest to revamp or completely change your regimen. I believe your regimen as a whole, is working.
  2. Congratulations! Congratulations are in order because your regimen is working. Your hair is progressing because it is thickening. This stage can last anywhere from 3 to 10 months. I hope you embrace the thickening progress and appreciate it because it is just as important as gaining length. It is a critical part of the process in gaining healthy, length.
This pattern repeats in some form or another as the hair continues to thrive and grow. Get ready, a drop in length is coming. Bravo to you! Well done.

Last edited:

Chicoro

BraidLength Check Nov 15 2017.jpg
My Official Results for 12 Inches in 12 Months - 2017 (Challenge) 4 inches retained

Results:

I'm going to post my official results for the challenge today, November 19th, 2017. I started on December 16th, 2016. Technically, it has been 12 months for me. I did not gain 12 inches. But I have gained so much more than inches: I learned how to grow afro-textured, tailbone length hair! ( I am not tailbone length, but I should be solidly there in 2018.)

I believe I may have gained 4 inches. I did a trim in June. I trimmed my hair in braids and was very happy with the trim outcome. I took off about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch, in general. Some hairs had grown to 25.5 inches and I cut those back to the bulk length of 24 inches. Thus, I may have cut 1.5 inches on a few [very countable] hairs.
  • The hair in the braid that I am pulling measures 21.5 inches in length.
  • The hair in the braid right above it, closer to the top, or the crown of my head, measures 24 inches in length.

I am very, very, very happy with the outcome of my hair in 2017. I fell in love with my hair again for the first time in four (4) years, maybe even in six (6) years. I completely revamped and changed my hair regimen and it got better. For the first time in the life of my hair journey, I made a conscious decision to try to grow my hair to tailbone length. It looks like I am well on my way and I understand and know what is giving me these growth results.

My braids fall and hang past my waist! These are braids that are tightly, braided and in the natural state and have not been blown dry straight or heat straightened.

Hoped for Results in 2018: Full Tailbone Length!
In 2018, I hope to get to 28 inches in length [in some areas]. That would require a minimum gain of 4 inches on the longer sections that are now 24 inches in length.

Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement during the challenge. I've enjoyed being a part of everyone's victories and challenges. It's been really fun.

Last edited:

faithVA

I don't think the issue is that you didn't 'retain length'. I think you did keep the length you already had. To be very clear, I am saying that I don't think your hair got shorter. You did not lose any length. Is that correct? The hair stayed at relatively the same length, right?

But, at the same time your hair didn't GAIN any additional length. Meaning, your hair didn't get any longer either.

Yet, you clearly noticed a change in your hair. That change had to do with the thickness and fullness.

My feeling is that your hair has been going through a thickening period. It just simply means that your hair is working and responding positively to the care you are giving it. It is getting thicker and fuller at the current length. Once the hair does that, it then drops in length again and starts to get noticeably longer. This dropping in length period will be when pulling sections of your natural hair down, will show gains in length.

It's a fairly common growth pattern that I have seen over and over. It happens with my hair as well. It is very hard to see and notice if you are only pulling on a section of your hair to do a length check.

One of the best ways to see this pattern of 'dropping in length', then 'thickening' at that length is to heat straighten the hair and then take a picture of the back of your hair.

In a 'thickening' stage, you will notice in the pictures that the longest part of the hair stays at the same length. BUT, you will be able to other areas getting fuller, like maybe the sides, the center of the hair or the middle. What parts get thicker depends on the hair of the individual.

If your 'length' checks are being done like your photo in your avatar, it is not very likely that you will be able to see the 'thickening' stage. The thickening of hair IS PROGRESS. One of the best ways to see 'thickening' progress is to take a length check picture on heat straightened hair, with the back to the camera. It is virtually impossible to see small areas of thickening when you pull down only sections at a time, on hair that is still in its natural state. It becomes even more complex if one is not aware of the fact that 'thickening' stages occur.

Pulling hair down is a GREAT way to check for progress when your hair is dropping in length, or getting longer and that length gain is noticeable. It is not the best way to see thickening, though. Heat straightening for 'length check' [or thickening check] can be done a minimum of 1x in a 12 month time period, but no more than 2x a year. By heat straightening only a maximum of 2 times per year, you have a better chance to avoid heat damage, whether it be cumulative or immediate. Attention! There is no guaranteed way to avoid heat damage. Every time one puts heat on the hair, one always runs the risk of having heat damage.

This is why I encourage people to document progress with photos. Ideally, with straight hair, especially when you are trying to determine if your regimen is working for you.

Once you get on track with your regimen, and you know it's working, you can skip the heat straightened hair.

1. You may want to look through the thread again, specifically posts #304 to #307 to review the suggestions people have provided. I think this will help you to tighten up, tweak and fine tune your current regimen to help super charge it! Notice, I did not suggest to revamp or completely change your regimen. I believe your regimen as a whole, is working.
  2. Congratulations! Congratulations are in order because your regimen is working. Your hair is progressing because it is thickening. This stage can last anywhere from 3 to 10 months. I hope you embrace the thickening progress and appreciate it because it is just as important as gaining length. It is a critical part of the process in gaining healthy, length.
This pattern repeats in some form or another as the hair continues to thrive and grow. Get ready, a drop in length is coming. Bravo to you! Well done.
I agree with all of this. Very well explained.

Kells

I fell off and actually shaved my head bald due to spiritual practices and back at a TWA for the millionth time.

For the 6 months postBC, i was really lax in my haircare, but I've been on top of it now for the last month.

So pic 1 is 10/30 and pic 2 is today.
NOW, I'm ready to go forward and grow it out again!!

20171030_142646.jpg 20171120_183317.jpg

acapnleo

I'm going to try and join the next hair challenge.

My hair was thriving, big difference (going the wrong direction) over the last 18-24 months :(

My hair is recovering, I just need to step a few things back up.

Very motivating @Chicoro thank you for sharing :)

Chicoro

I'm going to try and join the next hair challenge.

My hair was thriving, big difference (going the wrong direction) over the last 18-24 months :(

My hair is recovering, I just need to step a few things back up.

Very motivating @Chicoro thank you for sharing :)

I'm sorry to hear that you were having some difficulties. It is good to know that you have made the turnaround and know what to do to get your hair thriving again!

trclemons

Excellent...........This needs to be in a book!