12 Inches In 12 Months - 2017

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Let me know if you find some!

I:heart:international markets! These are on the scrawny side, but I will keep looking for better ones.

guyaneseyankee

So decided to throw a progress pic in here real quick! Definitely retaining pretty well so far. I should have had my bra a little more visible in the pic I took in April, but my hair was just touching the top of my bra strap when I joined the challenge early April so Im excited about the progress two months later!
So have I graduated from BSL to MBL now??? Yay or nay??? Regardless Im happy seeing growth! :D

View attachment 400857View attachment 400855
Beautiful progress pics

guyaneseyankee

I just spent about an hour trying to load three pics in an album.:whyme:

I would love to join in on the 12 in 12. I computed that I am about six months post my last BC and it's not an inch a month; moreso 1/2 a month. I need to step up my game:whip: Gonna create a regimen this weekend.

First pic was taken 11/16/2016 and last pic was taken 5/29/2017

Attachments

• Day1-a.JPG
    Day1-a.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 90
  • progress52916.JPG
    progress52916.JPG
    567.3 KB · Views: 91

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!

I would love to join in on the 12 in 12. I computed that I am about six months post my last BC and it's not an inch a month; moreso 1/2 a month. I need to step up my game:whip: Gonna create a regimen this weekend.

Give me that pretty skin you have! That's a lot of growth you got there! What is your current regimen? Welcome! You are doing a great job in retaining the growth you get.

guyaneseyankee

Give me that pretty skin you have! That's a lot of growth you got there! What is your current regimen? Welcome! You are doing a great job in retaining the growth you get.

Thank you Chicoro

I currently don't do anything. I don't even comb my hair. I just wet it in the shower and apply whatever cream or conditioner under the sink and go. When I feel like it I will seal with coconut oil or shea butter. I find that that makes my hair hard though. I've recently rediscovered my Aussie Moist love and keep it at that.

The last pic was my stretched hair that I flat twisted and wore for two days before unraveling.

Do you think that's good growth for 6 months? I'm impatient. I'll be working on tweaking my regimen. Maybe some braid extensions. IDK

NaturalShe94

Nice growth!!

Rastafarai

Extreme Low Manipulation
(trying to only handle and unbraid hair 1x per week- Nope!)​
    • I cannot wear braids for a week and then wash hair in those braids as is.
    • I HAVE to pre-treat the hair, unbraid, then re-braid loosely to wash. Otherwise the hair becomes matted. That means I have to un-braid and then re-braid after conditioning. That's unbraiding 2x's and re-braiding 2x's on the same wash day. BUT, I am losing far less hair this way.
    • I used to do this every wash day in 2003/2004
Thank you for sharing this. This is my hair, too. I sometimes wish I had a more kinkier texture to maintain hairstyles for days at a time. My hair easily frizzes and unravels every other day, no matter how much I try and keep it neat. The only way it stays in place is if I wear a Loc Soc.

Right now, I re-braid/re-twist in sections every 3 days. During those sessions I re-moisturize and oil my scalp, which my hair seems to love. My hair drinks up moisture very quickly and just craves constant attention. If I ignore my hair, my scalp begins to itch profusely until its re-moisturized/oiled until the next session.

Chicoro

Thank you Chicoro

I currently don't do anything. I don't even comb my hair. I just wet it in the shower and apply whatever cream or conditioner under the sink and go. When I feel like it I will seal with coconut oil or shea butter. I find that that makes my hair hard though. I've recently rediscovered my Aussie Moist love and keep it at that.

The last pic was my stretched hair that I flat twisted and wore for two days before unraveling.

Do you think that's good growth for 6 months? I'm impatient. I'll be working on tweaking my regimen. Maybe some braid extensions. IDK

Yes, I think it's good growth for six months! I would encourage you to continue what you are doing as it is working for you.

Chicoro

Thank you for sharing this. This is my hair, too. I sometimes wish I had a more kinkier texture to maintain hairstyles for days at a time. My hair easily frizzes and unravels every other day, no matter how much I try and keep it neat. The only way it stays in place is if I wear a Loc Soc.

Right now, I re-braid/re-twist in sections every 3 days. During those sessions I re-moisturize and oil my scalp, which my hair seems to love. My hair drinks up moisture very quickly and just craves constant attention. If I ignore my hair, my scalp begins to itch profusely until its re-moisturized/oiled until the next session.

You are welcome! It's good when you know and understand what your hair wants and needs.

Chicoro

I got it! :yahoo:I got it! :alcoholics::clap::clapping::headspin::yay::wiggle:

Finally, I am not having massive tangles and tons of breakage and dryness anymore.
Just 2 changes: Do my Deep Moisture Pre-Poo and use Scurl daily. That's it!

I am still sticking to my 8 braids approach for trying to get to tail bone length hair, which is new for me. I've been doing this since December 2016.

BUT,
I've gone back to my old ways, too. I left my braids in for about 2.5 weeks. So, I wet my braids then slathered on my old concoction (aloe vera gel, oil, glycerin). Unbraided and put in bantus then topped with coconut oil (my deep moisture method). Also, I started back using SCURL in my hair on a daily basis. I wet my roots with water first and put Scurl at the base/roots of my hair then put on my gel and style my braids for the day. I still do my ends regimen and use my XCEL.

:thumbsup::trampoline: My hair is :twister: moving :thewave: in the right direction. :up:

I did an overhaul of my hair process but the changes seemed like just a few tweaks. Interestingly enough, it has taken me 6 months to get in the groove and optimize the tweaks I made in December 2016. I thought I was regressing and creating set-backs for myself. I was, but you have to experience some growing pains literally and figuratively!

I've forgotten it takes some time to get one's footing. The risk is that when you set off in a new direction, it may not be the right direction and you lose time and length and health on your hair. But, it's worth doing if you want to have success. You can't continue to do the same thing if you are looking for a different result. My different result, as it relates to my hair, is going for tail bone length.

Thus far, I've had to change my hair processes at each point listed below:
  1. From collarbone to armpit-Stopped using hot comb on a daily basis
  2. From armpit to bra-strap-Started using glycerin product to keep hair moist
  3. From bra-strap to mid back-That point at which I recognized that the prior process was not working and needed to make some shifts and tweaks and changes.
  4. From bra-strip to waist-Implemented the baggie method and sealing hair with vaseline
  5. From waist to hip/whip-That point at which I recognized that the prior process was not working and needed to make some shifts and tweaks and changes [again].
  6. Current point: :walking:From waist to tailbone:walking:- Removed combing and brushing from my regimen and leave hair in same sections. I have been wearing these 8 braids since December and have not re-parted hair or unloosened all my hair at one time or put it all together as in a ponytail, in 6 months. I just keep the same partings and braids. Thus, there is no need for a comb to part. I am doing pure finger detangling. *I do check and comb through a braid every month or so to make sure I'm not getting dreads.* Have a daily/weekly specific regimen to care for the ends of my hair. (Not enough anymore for me to just grease and protect the ends and cover with baggie. Still developing this process!)

Last edited:

Chicoro

I felt confident enough to put my braids back into bantus at night and use my shower cap. I realize I need my moisturizing deep moisture pre-poo and my S-Curl to keep the slippage to keep my monster tangles at bay. It's amazing how a few little tweaks can make such a huge difference. I am very happy with my hair.

IMG_7143.JPG IMG_7144.JPG IMG_7145.JPG

IMG_7146.JPGIMG_7147.JPG

There are some white particles in my hair from the aloe vera gel. These are my same 8 braids that I have been wearing since December 2016. The parts are not clean and straight, but they work. I can use my Xcel and do my Hair Ends Routine daily. Also, the deep shine comes from my Deep Moisture Pre-poo. The hair is shinier in the front because I use gel to slick it back.

The last 2 times I did my hair, I was able to un-do my braids without any major issues. I've been losing length since December 2016, but it's all part of the process when making a change. I think I am solidly on track with my hair, now.

Last edited:

Chicoro

Is this wishful thinking? I did the same exact process on both.

It's growth! It looks like you've retained at least 2-4 inches, especially at the crown or top of your head. Congratulations on your progress!

Once a person gets on track and starts to 'get it' or have a better understanding of the their own hair growth process, the hair can sometimes gain some amazing length in short periods of time. Keep on doing what you are doing.

Chicoro

I did not retain gain 12 inches, and probably not even 6 inches. I can look at this as a fail. It's all win for me because I have tweaked and revamped my hair process and it's working.

I am officially only 3 inches away from tailbone length. I've got about 6 months left in 2017. So, if I grow an 'average' of 1/2 inch per month, for the next 6 months (6 x 1/2 =3), I just might get there by the end December 2017. Three is the magic number! Yes it is.

guyaneseyankee

It's growth! It looks like you've retained at least 2-4 inches, especially at the crown or top of your head. Congratulations on your progress!

Once a person gets on track and starts to 'get it' or have a better understanding of the their own hair growth process, the hair can sometimes gain some amazing length in short periods of time. Keep on doing what you are doing.
Thank you @Chicoro I am committed to growing out this hair

ilong

God's Own
I use rosemary, guava leaves, rooibos, along with coffee, black and green teas. I have not tested any others yet to see if they reduce shedding. Right now coffee and guava leaves are the best, not only because they reduce shedding, but they condition the hair as well. A warning: any topical treatment containing caffeine should be used every seven days at minimum, too much can actual stunt growth.
Fenugreek along with tea rinses helped me . Here is a popular thread on fenugreek
https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...iness-great-slip-stops-shedding-cheap.697429/

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
So decided to throw a progress pic in here real quick! Definitely retaining pretty well so far. I should have had my bra a little more visible in the pic I took in April, but my hair was just touching the top of my bra strap when I joined the challenge early April so Im excited about the progress two months later!
So have I graduated from BSL to MBL now??? Yay or nay??? Regardless Im happy seeing growth! :D

View attachment 400857View attachment 400855
Wow, you are totally MBL. Milestone met.

Chicoro

1. No comb or brush used
2. Shea butter mix applied from root to tip
3. Inversion done monthly (skipped August by accident yet gained 1 inch of growth in August)
4. Monthly use XCEL -slacked in July and August

Documenting my 2017 routine in summary form. Hoping to reach tailbone by Dec 31st 2017.

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Is everyone really gaining a full inch each month?
If so what are the secrets?
Im not gaining any of that but Im willing to learn....
Info please

Chicoro

Is everyone really gaining a full inch each month?
If so what are the secrets?
Im not gaining any of that but Im willing to learn....
Info please

No, I've not.

I have gained 3 or 4 inches maximum since December 2016, which is the average 1/2 per month.

I was in the South (Georgia, Alabama, Florida) for the month of August , on vacation. It was hot, humid and muggy everyday. I think the change in the weather may have impacted my hair growth for the month of August. In addition, instead of doing my braids weekly, while there I did my hair daily and packed on tons of my Shea butter mix (Shea butter, coconut oil, vit e).

Most of my growth has been slow over the last 5 years. It's picking up now but is nowhere near an inch per month.

What I've changed to improve my length retention:

- I do a no comb method. I no longer comb or brush my hair. With my hair braided in 8 braids I just work with one braid/section at a time.

- I started using Shea butter since most of my tailbone length hair idols with Afro hair use it. It works for me only if I work with it at room temperature and mix it down with a wire whisk that is electronic. Otherwise it's a gritty, greasy, dirty mess that coats and dulls my hair. It took me 10+ years to figure out how to use Shea butter for my hair. I've been using it for 8 months now.

I have been using XCEL ( new Surge) and doing inversions 7 days per month.

I think the most effective things are the no combing and the Shea butter application. I wet my braid with water before undoing it. I add scurl to my hair for lubrication. Then I apply some Xtreme gel on the roots of my braid to lay down and keep down the frizz and fuzzies. Then I slather on and coat the braid with a generous quantity of my Shea butter mix from root to tip. I rebraid my hair. Pull them back in one ponytail to stretch the hair while it dries, put on a scarf to set the hair in place and leave it while I get ready.

It is greasy, but by mid day it is no longer greasy. Shea butter has transformed my hair into magnificent, shiny rope- like braids. My hair has not looked like this since I was about 8 years old. I have fallen in love with my hair again.

Last edited:

Alma Petra

No, I've not.

I have gained 3 or 4 inches maximum since December 2016, which is the average 1/2 per month.

I was in the South (Georgia, Alabama, Florida) for the month of August , on vacation. It was hot, humid and muggy everyday. I think the change in the weather may have impacted my hair growth for the month of August. In addition, instead of doing my braids weekly, while there I did my hair daily and packed on tons of my Shea butter mix (Shea butter, coconut oil, vit e).

Most of my growth has been slow over the last 5 years. It's picking up now but is nowhere near an inch per month.

What I've changed to improve my length retention:

- I do a no comb method. I no longer comb or brush my hair. With my hair braided in 8 braids I just work with one braid/section at a time.

- I started using Shea butter since most of my tailbone length hair idols with Afro hair use it. It works for me only if I work with it at room temperature and mix it down with a wire whisk that is electronic. Otherwise it's a gritty, greasy, dirty mess that coats and dulls my hair. It took me 10+ years to figure out how to use Shea butter for my hair. I've been using it for 8 months now.

I have been using XCEL ( new Surge) and doing inversions 7 days per month.

I think the most effective things are the no combing and the Shea butter application. I wet my braid with water before undoing it. I add scurl to my hair for lubrication. Then I apply some Xtreme gel on the roots of my braid to lay down and keep down the frizz and fuzzies. Then I slather on and coat the braid with a generous quantity of my Shea butter mix from root to tip. I rebraid my hair. Pull them back in one ponytail to stretch the hair while it dries, put on a scarf to set the hair in place and leave it while I get ready.

It is greasy, but by mid day it is no longer greasy. Shea butter has transformed my hair into magnificent, shiny rope- like braids. My hair has not looked like this since I was about 8 years old. I have fallen in love with my hair again.
How do you section/distribute the 8 braids on your head? Can we see a photo? How often do you redo the braids? And how do you keep them neat and non-frizzy in the interim?
Many thanks!