1st monkeypox case in US this year reported in Massachusetts

Evolving78

Idk if people will ever be ok with shutdowns. With covid no one cared when it was old people and black people. With monkey pox, it's still considered a gay man's problem so I imagine the response would be the same. It may change later but then it might be too late.
I agree with you, but something has got to give.

yamilee21

Maybe whoever wanted to change the name to something more neutral was right; poor little monkeys are being stigmatized. In the U.S., each region could call it whatever local animal people would be afraid to mess with… alligatorpox in Florida, bearpox in the northeast, buffalopox out west. :lol:

If chickenpox makes a more serious resurgence, are people going to attack chickens too? :look:

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation

:nono:

Confirmed Cases of Monkeypox Surpass 10,000 in the United States​

The CDC says the U.S. currently has the world’s highest number of confirmed cases of the rare virus​

By
Jen Juneau

Published on August 11, 2022 09:56 AM
The United States has passed 10,000 reported cases of monkeypox.

As of Thursday morning, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says there are a total of 10,392 reported cases in the country of the virus. Meanwhile, Canada has 957 cases and Mexico has 91, according to an international map.

Together, the three North American countries represent nearly one-third of all reported cases worldwide — 31,800 — spanning 89 countries total including at least one country on every continent, except Antarctica.

The World Health Organization (WHO) declared monkeypox a public-health emergency last month, with WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus saying in a statement, "In short, we have an outbreak that has spread around the world rapidly, through new modes of transmission, about which we understand too little, and which meets the criteria in the International Health Regulations."

"For all of these reasons, I have decided that the global monkeypox outbreak represents a public health emergency of international concern," he added.

Black Ambrosia

I read the comments. I get not wanting to treat the person like a leper but I don’t understand acting like this is normal. Pus filled sores and bloody legs should be covered. This is unsanitary. Is there some medical advice that says covering the sores irritates them and makes it worse? Otherwise there’s no reason I’d be uncovered. Granted some of that is vanity but I wouldn’t want to be bleeding and oozing on surfaces. I don’t understand people. At. All.

Evolving78

I read the comments. I get not wanting to treat the person like a leper but I don’t understand acting like this is normal. Pus filled sores and bloody legs should be covered. This is unsanitary. Is there some medical advice that says covering the sores irritates them and makes it worse? Otherwise there’s no reason I’d be uncovered. Granted some of that is vanity but I wouldn’t want to be bleeding and oozing on surfaces. I don’t understand people. At. All.
Why is that person not at home in the first place?!??

yamilee21

There are other diseases that “look” like monkeypox, but aren’t, and may not be contagious. Here’s an example of someone whose image was posted on social media, but has a different chronic illness called neurofibromatosis type 1; yes, people with active actual monkeypox should not be out and about until their sores are fully healed, but posting images of people without knowing their actual conditions is also wrong.

Woman With Skin Disease Harassed Online After Subway Passenger Posts Video Questioning If She Has Monkeypox​

Lilly Simon

By Inside Edition Staff
First Published: 12:25 PM PDT, August 5, 2022

The man who filmed the innocent woman on the New York City subway has apologized for what he did.​

A New York woman was cruelly shamed on the subway and on social media due to the monkeypox outbreak.

A stranger took a video of Lilly Simon, 33, riding the subway in New York City and she had bumps on her exposed arms and legs. The video was then posted on TikTok with a caption that included a monkey emoji and a question mark emoji, which many took to mean that she might have monkeypox.

“I don’t have monkeypox," Simon told Inside Edition.

She suffers from a skin condition called NF1, a genetic condition that causes tumors to grow on her skin.

"They're fleshy, they're soft, it's not like monkeypox,” she told Inside Edition.
She said she was minding her own business when the stranger on the train decided to record her. The next thing she knew, she says she got a call that shook her world.

“My sister called me and she was very upset,” she recalled. “I saw the video and I knew people I know would see it and it's not how I wanted to be represented.”

“My sister called me and she was very upset,” she recalled. “I saw the video and I knew people I know would see it and it's not how I wanted to be represented.”

She said she felt small, powerless, insignificant and irrelevant because of the video.
Simon, who works as a project manager, responded with her own defiant video and described years of stares and nasty comments.
"Of course, I've always had to deal with people, like the people in the comment section of the video and of course the person who posted this,” she said in her video.

The man who posted the video, Jahmali Ellison, told Inside Edition he would like to apologize to Simon for his actions.

Simon added that “I am happy” and “I love myself,” but added that “hopefully [the person who posted the video] has learned his lesson.

There are more than 6,300 confirmed cases of monkeypox in the U.S. New York, California, Illinois and some cities have declared states of emergency and the World Health Organization has declared the spreading of the viral disease a global emergency.
https://www.insideedition.com/woman...-passenger-posts-video-questioning-if-she-has

People with other skin conditions - even ones as common as eczema and psoriasis - are already beginning to be singled out as suspected monkeypox cases.

Evolving78

There are other diseases that “look” like monkeypox, but aren’t, and may not be contagious. Here’s an example of someone whose image was posted on social media, but has a different chronic illness called neurofibromatosis type 1; yes, people with active actual monkeypox should not be out and about until their sores are fully healed, but posting images of people without knowing their actual conditions is also wrong.

Woman With Skin Disease Harassed Online After Subway Passenger Posts Video Questioning If She Has Monkeypox​

Lilly Simon

By Inside Edition Staff
First Published: 12:25 PM PDT, August 5, 2022

The man who filmed the innocent woman on the New York City subway has apologized for what he did.​

A New York woman was cruelly shamed on the subway and on social media due to the monkeypox outbreak.

A stranger took a video of Lilly Simon, 33, riding the subway in New York City and she had bumps on her exposed arms and legs. The video was then posted on TikTok with a caption that included a monkey emoji and a question mark emoji, which many took to mean that she might have monkeypox.

“I don’t have monkeypox," Simon told Inside Edition.

She suffers from a skin condition called NF1, a genetic condition that causes tumors to grow on her skin.

"They're fleshy, they're soft, it's not like monkeypox,” she told Inside Edition.
She said she was minding her own business when the stranger on the train decided to record her. The next thing she knew, she says she got a call that shook her world.

She said she felt small, powerless, insignificant and irrelevant because of the video.
Simon, who works as a project manager, responded with her own defiant video and described years of stares and nasty comments.
"Of course, I've always had to deal with people, like the people in the comment section of the video and of course the person who posted this,” she said in her video.

The man who posted the video, Jahmali Ellison, told Inside Edition he would like to apologize to Simon for his actions.

Simon added that “I am happy” and “I love myself,” but added that “hopefully [the person who posted the video] has learned his lesson.

There are more than 6,300 confirmed cases of monkeypox in the U.S. New York, California, Illinois and some cities have declared states of emergency and the World Health Organization has declared the spreading of the viral disease a global emergency.
https://www.insideedition.com/woman...-passenger-posts-video-questioning-if-she-has

People with other skin conditions - even ones as common as eczema and psoriasis - are already beginning to be singled out as suspected monkeypox cases.
This is a damned if you do, damned if you don’t.. We just have to show people compassion and have empathy. I will still wear a mask and gloves to protect myself, and practice social distancing.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
It probably hurts to have anything rub up against the sores. Everything that I've read says they are incredibly painful.

I tell you what though ain't no way I'd still be in line waiting for anything if I saw somebody I suspected with monkeypox at a location. You can see dude got the pox on his elbows which means it's probably on his arms and hands and he's touching a whole lot of surfaces.

Crackers Phinn

Somebody call your cousin and tell him to stay his :moon: at home. Expeditiously!!!!!!!
For Real For Real - Use wipes on your bags from delivery services. Wipe your groceries that come in packages. People don't give a solitary _ about spreading plague once they get it.

Kitamita

SIR!

I am posting the highlights. Just know if you click the link it does have monkeypox pics.

Man tests positive for monkeypox, COVID and HIV after holiday to Spain​

A 36-year-old patient in Italy returned from holiday in Spain and later presented with a series of symptoms that led doctors to carry out a series of tests. They found he was the first patient so far discovered to have COVID, monkeypox and HIV.

The man, who was double vaccinated against COVID, spent five days in Spain from 16 to 20 June 2022 and nine days later came down with a temperature of 39C, accompanied by sore throat, fatigue, headache and pain in his groin.

On 2 July he tested positive for COVID and later the same day a rash started to develop on his left arm which turned into small, painful spots surrounded by a red ring on his torso, lower limbs, face and bottom.

The spots continued to swell and three days later he went to the emergency department of the Policlinico "G. Rodolico - San Marco" University Hospital in Catania, Italy, where he was transferred to the infectious diseases unit.

He told doctors that he had been treated for syphilis in 2019 and had performed an HIV test with a negative result in 2021.

Because of his symptoms, they decided to carry out a series of tests and found he was positive for the three viruses, with monkeypox being identified as from the West African clade, the variant responsible for the Spanish outbreak, and the COVID variants being BA.5.1, one of the two main variants causing infections around the world.

By the third day in hospital, almost all skin lesions began to turn to crusts and eventually turned into scars. He was given treatment for HIV and was later discharged.

dancinstallion

SIR!

I am posting the highlights. Just know if you click the link it does have monkeypox pics.

Man tests positive for monkeypox, COVID and HIV after holiday to Spain​

A 36-year-old patient in Italy returned from holiday in Spain and later presented with a series of symptoms that led doctors to carry out a series of tests. They found he was the first patient so far discovered to have COVID, monkeypox and HIV.

The man, who was double vaccinated against COVID, spent five days in Spain from 16 to 20 June 2022 and nine days later came down with a temperature of 39C, accompanied by sore throat, fatigue, headache and pain in his groin.

On 2 July he tested positive for COVID and later the same day a rash started to develop on his left arm which turned into small, painful spots surrounded by a red ring on his torso, lower limbs, face and bottom.

The spots continued to swell and three days later he went to the emergency department of the Policlinico "G. Rodolico - San Marco" University Hospital in Catania, Italy, where he was transferred to the infectious diseases unit.

He told doctors that he had been treated for syphilis in 2019 and had performed an HIV test with a negative result in 2021.

Because of his symptoms, they decided to carry out a series of tests and found he was positive for the three viruses, with monkeypox being identified as from the West African clade, the variant responsible for the Spanish outbreak, and the COVID variants being BA.5.1, one of the two main variants causing infections around the world.

By the third day in hospital, almost all skin lesions began to turn to crusts and eventually turned into scars. He was given treatment for HIV and was later discharged.

Screenshot_20220826-013832_Photo Editor.jpg

He is nasty!!! Throw the whole man away!

fire-kill.gif

Last edited:

awhyley

What a mess!!! That was one heck of a vacation. :nono: He must have been on a run similar to that guy from that Twitter post upthread.

(eta: I was going to say thank goodness he's vaxxed, or his body could have taken a worse beating, but the HIV will forever change his life.
They're going to monitor him for how long? I wonder if he'll be a long-hauler after this.)

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

G-d was tryna tell his hard head something but dude said naw hot girl summer is real. Now look atcha hot in the :moon: self sir.

These dudes are going to boink there way into a monkeypox/covid/HIV super virus.

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
I feel that man have had HIV but it was doormat then being immunocompromised his system was just open for everything. I think about the Dr who had to give him the results like can I have wine while I read is that ok

Black Ambrosia

I feel that man have had HIV but it was doormat then being immunocompromised his system was just open for everything. I think about the Dr who had to give him the results like can I have wine while I read is that ok
Can you imagine if they didn’t get the results back at the same time? Like they test him for Covid first then a few days later they test him for monkey pox when he complains about pain in his groin. Then a few days later he still has symptoms inconsistent with both so they test him for hiv. Can you imagine going to this patient 3 times with this kind of news? It’s not the doctor’s fault but I would feel terrible.