2 Week Club: The low manipulation challenge... anybody?

sareca

I wanna join but I think I will always be in the one week club. I just can't go longer than a week with out detangling... sounds nice though.

Ok... I'll put you down for 1 week club.

Oh, have you made it 1 week yet? I wanna give you a trophy if you've already made it.

Last edited:

cherryhair123

Count me in. Although I'm currently wearing a wig because I'm trying to hold out on a 3 month stretch after having Phyto 2 put in. I know that's your baby Sareca so I won't say anything bad about it, but anyway I will only do one co wash or poo per week for now with no other manipulation besides adding moisturizer. When is that allowed in the challenge?

sareca

Count me in. Although I'm currently wearing a wig because I'm trying to hold out on a 3 month stretch after having Phyto 2 put in. I know that's your baby Sareca so I won't say anything bad about it, but anyway I will only do one co wash or poo per week for now with no other manipulation besides adding moisturizer. When is that allowed in the challenge?

:lachen:My baby be actin' up sometimes.

I moisturize my hair every morning and every night. Moisturize whenever you want. :yep:

jtsupanova

I have made it to one week but that was because I was on vacation. I was visiting my father in Virgina and there was very little humidity so my wng lookeg good for days on end the most I did was moisturize and re wet or steam. By the end of the week I was in a ponytail but no combing was done. I don't know if I can do this on the regular though because its very humid in NY and I excersize a lot. I'm going to try though.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I want to join this but let me get this straight: I can't wear my protective styles? That's the best way I know to avoid too much manipulation. I would just smooth my hair back with my hands, then put into my standard bun. I would rollerset once a week only and that's when I'll detangle. Will this reggie qualify? Or, no protective styles at all?:spinning:

sareca

I want to join this but let me get this straight: I can't wear my protective styles? That's the best way I know to avoid too much manipulation. I would just smooth my hair back with my hands, then put into my standard bun. I would rollerset once a week only and that's when I'll detangle. Will this reggie qualify? Or, no protective styles at all?:spinning:

Hola chica! :wave:

Your reggie qualifies. :yep: You can wear protective styles for the entire challenge if you want to, but I'd prefer if you wore your hair out at least one day during the week. You could always wear it down the first day after your rollerset then wear it bunned later in the week. It's ok to change the style as long as you don't have to comb.

Welcome to the challenge!

sareca

I have made it to one week but that was because I was on vacation. I was visiting my father in Virgina and there was very little humidity so my wng lookeg good for days on end the most I did was moisturize and re wet or steam. By the end of the week I was in a ponytail but no combing was done. I don't know if I can do this on the regular though because its very humid in NY and I excersize a lot. I'm going to try though.

Well, you still get your trophy for making it to goal. :congrats:
A couple times a week I wash my hair not just rewet it. :yep: Even when I poo I don't detangle and I'm super gentle. I've actually found my wngs look better when I cowash, but don't detangle. :eek:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I love the sound of the challenge. I'd like to join the one week club if that's ok. I'm into my fourth month of stretching and I'm working out almost everyday. Yesterday before I washed it, my hair was tangled and I've been combing:perplexed...I'm still willing to try though. Count me in...

sareca

I love the sound of the challenge. I'd like to join the one week club if that's ok. I'm into my fourth month of stretching and I'm working out almost everyday. Yesterday before I washed it, my hair was tangled and I've been combing:perplexed...I'm still willing to try though. Count me in...

I gotcha down for the 1 week club. :) welcome and good luck.

sareca

:welcome: I've put you down for 1 week.

sylver2

good luck ladies:)
When I first started my no manipulation, my hair was damaged and I had NO choice... i had to leave it alone as much as possible.
It was very difficult especially since i didn't wear protective styles. The outcome is soo worth what I had to go thru tho. You can do it to long or short hair but u have to be willing to wear certain styles for awhile or deal without curls.etc
...put the comb down...lol

jtsupanova

Thanks for the trophy! I have started this week with a baggy underneath a phoney bun which will probably turn into a wng by monday.

How do you apply products to your hair for a wng without detangling?

sareca

Thanks for the trophy! I have started this week with a baggy underneath a phoney bun which will probably turn into a wng by monday.

How do you apply products to your hair for a wng without detangling?

You deserve the trophy and I like your plan. :yep: I apply products in sections. I separate my hair into 5 sections (from ear-to-ear) and pour the product over the hair in that section and squeeze it in. It helps if the product is melted or watery.

Last edited:

sareca

good luck ladies:)
When I first started my no manipulation, my hair was damaged and I had NO choice... i had to leave it alone as much as possible.
It was very difficult especially since i didn't wear protective styles. The outcome is soo worth what I had to go thru tho. You can do it to long or short hair but u have to be willing to wear certain styles for awhile or deal without curls.etc
...put the comb down...lol

Hey sylver :wave: Thanks for the encouragement! :hug2: It is a lot more difficult than you'd think. :nervous2:I'm actually kinda nervous about my detangling session.

Last edited:
So if you rollerset after washer what would you have to do to follow the rules??Airdry?

This sounds really hard. Especially when you stretch for a long time and then your hair starts to shrink up and all I do is ponytails so they'll look really short and stringy....
Um..I'll try for a week

Last edited:

sareca

So if you rollerset after washer what would you have to do to follow the rules??Airdry?

This sounds really hard. Especially when you stretch for a long time and then your hair starts to shrink up and all I do is ponytails so they'll look really short and stringy....
Um..I'll try for a week

If you rollerset you can do pin curls, ponytails, just straight, braidout ponytail (to combat the stringy look)... as long as you don't need to comb or brush it. I know what you mean about the shrinkage. My hair shrinks from almost APL to chin length in a WnG. *sigh*

I'll put you down for a week.

If you rollerset you can do pin curls, ponytails, just straight, braidout ponytail (to combat the stringy look)... as long as you don't need to comb or brush it. I know what you mean about the shrinkage. My hair shrinks from almost APL to chin length in a WnG. *sigh*

I'll put you down for a week.
No I mean when you wash it. For the 2 week thingy and if you wash weekly would you have to airdry on 1 of those wash days??

sareca

4 days down... 3 days to go! My detangling day is Tuesday. I'm gonna do it first thing in the morning before work. :yep: I must admit my WnGs have much better definition when I haven't detangled for a few days.

Last edited:

sareca

Hey ladies... tomorrow's D-day for me. I'm worried about detangling, but I didn't have a hard time styling my hair at all. I wore it half-up/half-down or in a loose ponytail everyday. This morning I felt like I had to wear it in the ponytail 'cause it wasn't actin' right, but short of that it was perfectly well-behaved.

I also kept my regularly scheduled treatments of light protein, henna/indigo/alma, co-washes and poos. I'll let you know how it goes...

How's it going for you guys? Have you found a style that will hold up to a week or 2 w/o a comb?

sareca

Ok, I was worried for nothing. It didn't take anymore time nor effort to detangle my hair. :ohwell: I will definitely be doing this again!

Some of the things I loved:

1. not seeing any hair (no broken ones, no shed ones... nothing all week).
2. the curl definition I got from not combing. It worked better than any product I've ever used
3. How much faster "doing my hair" was

Things I didn't care for:
1. i just got a shampoo brush and i'm already addicted. that thing feels amazing. i missed it terribly.
2. i kinda didn't know what to do with myself. i loved the way my hair looked and it took very little time to care for it. i guess that' s not really a complaint. ??

... really there isn't much else that I didn't like.

I'm starting again. Today is day 1. I'm going to Tuesday again, but I will do a few things differently. I play in my hair entire too much during the day. I'm always rolling it round my finger or fluffying it up. This time I'm trying to leave it completely alone. I also co-washed, poo'd , did a henna treatment, an alma treatment and a light protein treatment during the week. I basically only had 1 or 2 days where I didn't wet my entire head. This week I want to spend most days just rewetting the ends. I'm planning a henna treatment and 1 co-wash and one poo. The rest of the time I will only spray it w/ eqyss to restyle it.

I made a little album about it... wanna see it ... here it go. :lachen:I crack me up... hello... is this thing on? :ohwell:

Last edited:

lonei

I'm in, well kind of, its my normal regimen not to wash or comb for 3 weeks. It works wonders for me. However, isn't there a potential for the hair to mat if you wet it between the 3 weeks and dont comb it? I know mine would....

sareca

I'm in, well kind of, its my normal regimen not to wash or comb for 3 weeks. It works wonders for me. However, isn't there a potential for the hair to mat if you wet it between the 3 weeks and dont comb it? I know mine would....

Hey lonei! :wave:
I dunno. :confused: I've never tried it before... I do know my first week was a breeze. I even did a henna treatment about 3 days in. :eek: Usually henna is enough to have crazy tangles, but it took about the same amount of effort (but more shed hairs). I'm just gonna slowly work up to 2 weeks and play it by ear. :yep:

LadyZ

Up date for me...

I am going into my 5th day of the 14... So far so good... I have been doing braid-outs, using no heat except for my DC... I did a egg/cond Pre-Poo and DC on Mon. I did de-tangle in the shower... I am 6 weeks post so I have to be careful with my delicate strands at this point:yep:... I will probably do a CW tomorrow... and I hope I will not need not to detangle... I will either do another braid out or air dry in a silk scarf...