2 Week Club: The low manipulation challenge... anybody?

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I am sooooo excited. It's been three days y'all. Never thought I'd be able to do this but it seems to be working. No combing, no brushing (well I never brush anyway) not even when I washed yesterday. I had my trusty CON detangling shampoo and conditioner wash. I'm glad I tried this:yep:. Great challenge Sareca!

Last edited:

tapioca_pudding

This is such a kewl challenge!! :thumbsup:

I would have to think really really hard about how to join this challenge. At my length its difficult to *not* touch it..... :perplexed: Maybe Ill be able to join after some deep hard brainstorming. :yep:

Proudpiscean

It's been smooth sailing so far! Haven't touched a comb nor brush in over 3 days and I know my hair better for it. I'm gonna go for two weeks. I'm lovin this challenge Sareca :up:

aurora3140

Great idea Sareca! I am addicted to combing my hair and a challenge like this would be perfect to wean me off the comb. I'm seriously considering joining, but I don't know what I would do to my hair. I know Sareca is doing W&Gs. How is everyone else wearing their hair everyday?

sylver2

Ladies don't panic when you start to see a lot of shedding. Its perfectly normal:)
just takes some getting use to:)

Proudpiscean

Ladies don't panic when you start to see a lot of shedding. Its perfectly normal:)

You're right, thanks for the warning! And big thanks for that scarf method too- it's helping me get away from the comb and brush big time :yep:

mscocoface

This is part of my routine now and has been for most of the year.

I do protective styles though but there are days when I let my hair down for a minute to breath in between styles, but it goes right back into a protective style. I am in the HYH challenge.

I am already into my second week.

PS: That Red Palm Butter from Camden Grey is really incredible.

sareca

:yay: Thanks for the updates Healthytresses, LadyZ, and HoneyA!

kels823 and aurora3140 you are welcome to join whenever you're ready :yep:
LadyZ's doing braidouts... Lonei does rollersets... what other styles are we wearing?

sareca

This is part of my routine now and has been for most of the year.

I do protective styles though but there are days when I let my hair down for a minute to breath in between styles, but it goes right back into a protective style. I am in the HYH challenge.

I am already into my second week.

PS: That Red Palm Butter from Camden Grey is really incredible.

:welcome: mscoco! I'll put you down for 2 week.

Proudpiscean

LadyZ's doing braidouts... Lonei does rollersets... what other styles are we wearing?

I'm style challenged so I'm wearing loose buns :lol:

LadyZ

========

OK, What type of shedding? What's it from not combing? I am confused now...:spinning:
I am new to this, please explain what I should expect...

Thank you so much

aurora3140

I'll try for one week. I guess I could wear a bun and leave it up w/o re-doing it, but aside from that, I can't think of any way to wear my hair w/o combing with my fingers or a comb. I'll give it my best shot :yep:!

SouthernTease

I'm going into my 2nd week without using a comb.
Using my Jilbere shower comb daily was becoming a vice...
I'm over it now... I think I can go a month without detangling.
I don't need to detangle anymore since I do daily co-wash and wet pinups
and airdry with a satin scarf.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched

Very loose bun at the back or a loose braid that stays pinned up with a big clip through it so it doesn't look so " school marmish". I've got to remember it'll all be worth it...:yep:

Tamrin

unapologetic
I'm in. Im 12 weeks 12 post relaxer officially today and I have cut down the shedding by doing what this challenge is about. I do not comb at all and I detangle under the shower w/ my fingers. I put it in a bun squeeze out the water. When I'm out the shower I pat it down to remove excess water and use some Avocado/Mango/red palm butter whip. a little coconut oil. Im good to go.

sareca

I'm going into my 2nd week without using a comb.
Using my Jilbere shower comb daily was becoming a vice...
I'm over it now... I think I can go a month without detangling.
I don't need to detangle anymore since I do daily co-wash and wet pinups
and airdry with a satin scarf.

Yay! :congrats: I'm finding it much more mental the physical. I know that sounds weird, but my brain associated "caring for my hair" with doing stuff to it... washing, henna, DC, but most of all keeping it free of tangles. I've spent more money on detangling products than thing else (except Phyto). The concept of caring for my hair by NOT detangling/combing is very very unsettling.

mscocoface

========

OK, What type of shedding? What's it from not combing? I am confused now...:spinning:
I am new to this, please explain what I should expect...

Thank you so much

It is the hair that would be released normally everyday but when you go days or weeks without combing all of that will be removed in one day which looks like a lot of shedding, when in fact it is 1 week or 2 weeks worth of shedding being removed in one day. It can look frightening but when you understand what it is and why it is happening you won't panic (as much) :look:

sareca

It is the hair that would be released normally everyday but when you go days or weeks without combing all of that will be removed in one day which looks like a lot of shedding, when in fact it is 1 week or 2 weeks worth of shedding being removed in one day. It can look frightening but when you understand what it is and why it is happening you won't panic (as much) :look:

ITA. If you lose 100 hair/day, after 2 weeks of not combing you'll see 1,400 hairs. That's the normal rate of 100/day, but instead of seeing them gradually you'll seem them all at once (d-day).

sareca

Another weird tidbit. I hated my hair yesterday! It was d-day and after lovingly detangling... it wouldn't act right at all. :wallbash: It looked longer, but the curls weren't formed and it was all scraggly. Today was much better. I think I'm gonna like this no detangling thing. :woohoo:

Last edited:

leleepop

DO you guys use drain catches. I saw on Sylver's fotki how much she shed and I was wondering is it drain caught hair or hair from the comb? I use a drain catch so I see more hair. Can someone elaborate on this? BTW even with the drain catch it was nowhere near 1400 hairs.

sareca

DO you guys use drain catches. I saw on Sylver's fotki how much she shed and I was wondering is it drain caught hair or hair from the comb? I use a drain catch so I see more hair. Can someone elaborate on this? BTW even with the drain catch it was nowhere near 1400 hairs.

The number is theoretical. :brainy: If you do an internet search for hairs lost/day that's what you'll get most often.

I don't use a drain catcher. I'm going by what was on the shower wall, floor, my hands, and the comb. If it was blood I would have thought a murder had taken place. :lachen:Most of it was in the comb. Sylver's hair is WL so it's hard compare the two. After a while you'll get a sense for what's average and what's excessive for you.

I wasn't having any breakage or shedding issues when I started this challenge so I'm assuming that's my regular amount for 1 week. If it's double next week... I might wonder what's going on.

Last edited:

LadyZ

I CW today... and I did detangle in the shower... It had been 4 days since I used a comb... I am 6 weeks post...so I need to detangle, so this stuff does not becomes a "hot mess"... My next poo/deep condition day is Saturday... I hope I can get through it without needing a comb... I will try very hard not too.... I will let you know...

sareca

I CW today... and I did detangle in the shower... It had been 4 days since I used a comb... I am 6 weeks post...so I need to detangle, so this stuff does not becomes a "hot mess"... My next poo/deep condition day is Saturday... I hope I can get through it without needing a comb... I will try very hard not too.... I will let you know...

I thought I was gonna have a mess on my hands and it really wasn't bad at all. You could always do a half week (just to see how your hair is holding up) and try for a whole week next time.

jtsupanova

I HAVE TO COMB MY HAIR TOMMOROW!Sorry guys but my hair looks like a bale of hay. I wish you guys the best of luck:grin:!

Proudpiscean

I had to detangle today also, but it was for a good cause- I did a henna/indigo treatment today :grin:......so I made it 5 days.
I don't know how to do henna without having to comb/detangle and I do henna weekly. I may have to change it up and do henna every two weeks.
Cowashing is easy to do without detangling though.:yep:

Proudpiscean

So how did detangling after 5 days and a henna treatment go?

Actually, it was very easy! And I lost very little hair :grin:
Ironically, I think my hair was EASIER to detangle because I have been leaving it alone since the last detangling session. All I have been doing is bunning & tying it down with the satin scarf at night- so it's really not getting a chance to get tangles in the first place. I'll let you know how it goes after two weeks :look: