20-21 Growth Aides Challenge

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
@mzteaze
Could you please share the recipe for your amla, fenugreek and aloe mask and how long do you leave it on? And what vendor do you get your powders from?

I’m thinking of dabbling in Ayurvedic treatments.

Ahead of time, I make a batch of hydrated fenugreek and freeze into cubes. (I'll explain how to do this in a separate post)

For the mask, lately I mix two cubes of hydrated fenugreek (thawed) with 50g of amla powder. I mix in about a tablespoon of oil (I prefer JBCO) and use aloe vera gel to get the consistency I like (think pancake batter).

I buy my fenugreek powder locally from an Indian mart because it's cheap (like $2 for a 8oz bag). I buy amla powder from Henna Sooq because I know it's fresh and finely sifted, but you can find cheaper on Amazon. Aloe vera you can buy either fresh locally (I can get a huge leaf at local grocery for $1.49) or buy from store. IMHO you can use either aloe vera gel or aloe vera juice - it is personal preference.

mzteaze

Here are two methods to make hydrated fenugreek ahead of time. I usually follow this method and make 2-3 months worth using 4 tablespoons of fenugreek. Be aware this video is in Italian so turn on closed caption but it's the best method to ensure you don't have unwanted residue from fenugreek. It takes a little time but it's worth it in my opinion.

Method #2 - this is an alternative my favorite that works using heat...

ChemistryGirl

Ahead of time, I make a batch of hydrated fenugreek and freeze into cubes. (I'll explain how to do this in a separate post)

For the mask, lately I mix two cubes of hydrated fenugreek (thawed) with 50g of amla powder. I mix in about a tablespoon of oil (I prefer JBCO) and use aloe vera gel to get the consistency I like (think pancake batter).

I buy my fenugreek powder locally from an Indian mart because it's cheap (like $2 for a 8oz bag). I buy amla powder from Henna Sooq because I know it's fresh and finely sifted, but you can find cheaper on Amazon. Aloe vera you can buy either fresh locally (I can get a huge leaf at local grocery for $1.49) or buy from store. IMHO you can use either aloe vera gel or aloe vera juice - it is personal preference.
Here are two methods to make hydrated fenugreek ahead of time. I usually follow this method and make 2-3 months worth using 4 tablespoons of fenugreek. Be aware this video is in Italian so turn on closed caption but it's the best method to ensure you don't have unwanted residue from fenugreek. It takes a little time but it's worth it in my opinion.

Method #2 - this is an alternative my favorite that works using heat...

Thanks so much for the info! I’m going to look out for a Hennasooq BF sale and start playing around with Ayurvedic herbs in the New Year.

I’ve been on this forum for ages and I’ve been resisting trying DIY regimens because I’m lazy, but I’ve realized that most of the heads of hair I admire here and on youtube are Ayurvedic DIY fanatics. I guess I’ll have to give up my laziness to get the results I want.

ChemistryGirl

@ChemistryGirl
Welcome to the Challenge! :wave:
Thanks for the welcome. I’ve already been using growth aides 2-3x a week. I’m trying to thicken up my crown area. Hopefully this challenge will help me stay consistent.

I currently rotate between APB Max Growth Hair Oil, CRN Cocoa Nibs and Honey Oil and Pura D’or Hair Thinning Therapy Energizing Scalp Serum. And on most wash days I pre poo with fermented rice water.

Lita

Spritz my hair scalp with SSI”Okra growth spray”
Untainted Love”Slippery Elm” salve on my edges
NC”Ayurvedic butter”on the length

Happy Hair Growing!

felic1

I'm in, I used my candlewarmer to make an infused jar of amla, fenugreek, and brahmi in olive oil. Right now I'm only applying it to the back left nape patch of my hair that is badly broken off because I don't like smelling like the oil and I don't like it getting all over my pillows. This patch is broken off, rough and unwieldly and has not grown back since it broke off two years ago. I'm hoping these herbs help bring me some new growth in addition to softening it.

Lita

Spritz my hair/scalp with SSI”Okra” Fro experts”vitamin scalp care applied on my roots,NC”ayurvedic butter on my length & NC”Herbal hair grease to seal.

Happy Hair Growing!

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Nutiva coconut oil and emu oil on scalp early am with

Drenched hair and scalp with rice water with MSM, honey,
oshima tsubaki camellia oil, abyssinian and prickly pear oils, lemongrass, cassia and German chamomile EOs.

...then threw it out it...has been at least 7 days of use morning and night.

It had no smell except of the fragrance of EOs but I cannot bring self to use a homemade batch for so long. Idk what that does to the scalp over time... If you're not washing it out but using 2ce a day:nervous2:

Nutiva coconut oil for scalp
Emu oil and Scurl on edges and crown sealed with jojoba.

Length sprayed with ic fantasia aloe gel + Scurl + bit of conditioner + camellia/abys/prickly pear/jojoba/tiny bit of neroli oils (
will cover head if outside
just in case it can get frazzled like scab hair again ...from the reaction of citrus EO+ sunshine)
and jojoba oil
Washing and henna gloss later tonight

mzteaze

I'm trying a new oil mix on my scalp (pumpkin seed oil, JBCO, plus EO mix). This will be used with scalp massages which I want to do daily to see if I can help my crown. My revised plan is to alternate with the Belle Bar onion and garlic oil daily.