20-21 Oil Grease Butter Lotion Creme Pomade Challenge

Neomorph

I’m taking a break from commercial products due to the expense with so little you get in each container and the drama behind some of these brands and went back to my roots with avocado and hemp seed butter as staples especially in this pandemic. I’m going back to simpler times/methods. Each one pound jars will last well into next year as I only need a tsp between the two for each application and for fifty bucks- my natural hair has never been and never stayed moisturized. I’ll slowly build on this as I use up my Mielle line and make my own natural products. Next up is some JBCO fortified with rosemary oil. My ultimate goal is for my hair products to be cross functional as body butters/cleansers and/or in my kitchen- thus promoting minimalism.

I 1000% feel you on this. I don't think I'll be able to replace my shampoo with a DIY (Neutrogena T-sal) as that's medicated but I can definitely switch it up as far as sealants/styler go.

I bought some avocado butter and liquid JBCO and I'll be whipping that up to see how that plays in my hair. Hopefully it can be a nice substitute for the Sunny ISLE JBCO Pure Butter becasue as much as I absolutely love that product, they have consistency issues (sometimes it's not always greaselike) that can't be overcome with trying to melt it down.

Everything Zen

I 1000% feel you on this. I don't think I'll be able to replace my shampoo with a DIY (Neutrogena T-sal) as that's medicated but I can definitely switch it up as far as sealants/styler go.

I bought some avocado butter and liquid JBCO and I'll be whipping that up to see how that plays in my hair. Hopefully it can be a nice substitute for the Sunny ISLE JBCO Pure Butter becasue as much as I absolutely love that product, they have consistency issues (sometimes it's not always greaselike) that can't be overcome with trying to melt it down.
Oh for sure on the Neutrogena T-Sal. I rely on that as well! Like you said it won’t be 100% but moving towards that so and simplifying as much as possible is the goal.

As for deep conditioners I’m going back to Silicon Mix and maybe Alter Ego’s Garlic Hot Oil Deep Conditioners bc they were far more affordable for the amount that you got (especially Silicon Mix) and they have thousands of reviews over a decade or more. These containers the other companies are selling aren’t worth the money IMO bc I can go through a good 1/3 jar in one use (and really don’t see much in terms of results). I also use fermented rice water- I truly believe that works I’ve been inconsistent (just need more mason jars).

My hair used to be a nice MBL before the Great Recession and now I’m hovering above APL but it’s thinner now and greying due to stress. SMH
I’ll get back on track.

Neomorph

Used Argan Oil and Sunny Isle Lavender JBCO Pure butter

I've found out that Argan Oil/JBCO Butter over Rosewater makes for a nice sleek look on my buns. Not as sleek and shiny as using a gel, but it still works well and it's much gentler on my edges. Water and oil seems to work for me!

Neomorph

Argan Oil on my Hair, Sunny Isle JBCO Butter on my edges

My Avocado butter is arriving tomorrow, I can't wait to try it out! I'm planning on trying it plain and then mixing it with argan oil. I'm even thinking about trying shea butter for the umpteenth time but mixing it with argan oil (been lurking in the Shea retention thread and I'm wondering if the reason why Shea hasn't worked so well for me was because it was mixed oils that are incompatible with my hair).

Last edited: