2009: 52 weeks of protective styles

Butterfly08

Happy New Year guys! :dance7:

Ok, I really DON'T want to call this idea a challenge, but I want this to supplement the Bootcamp and HYH challenges that are going on. Basically, I did HYH last year and I got stuck in a rut of wet buns. :ohwell:

I want to encourage challenge participants to experiment with creative protective styles so that we can feel like we're enjoying our hair as it grows. It would be great if you could post your interpretation of each week's style so that we can get ideas from each other.

Anybody interested? :look: I'll start off Week 1 and post my pic next.

Butterfly08

WEEK 1: THE SIDE BUN

You can do it tight and neat like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFB0Ky3MxIE&feature=channel_page

Or you can do some twisty, curly, messy ones like this:

unalteredone

I really like this challenge idea! And messy side buns are my favorite type of buns!

Question: so what if i come up with a cool protective style like... today? Could i share it as a PS for week 2? Or would i have to wait? Or are you the only distributor of PS of the Week pics? lol.

bestblackgirl

great idea.. I've been wearing a bun for 2 years, and it's the same one every single day.. I am so slow when it comes to styling my hair..
bumping, bumping

Butterfly08

Question: so what if i come up with a cool protective style like... today? Could i share it as a PS for week 2? Or would i have to wait? Or are you the only distributor of PS of the Week pics? lol.

No I'm definitely not the only distributor lol! :lachen: Please share! :yep: We can definitely do it for week 2.

I have no hair! LOL! Subscribing anyway:yep:

You look like you have some hair missy! :yep:

sounds cool.... I will try and do this too! Can we only do buns?

Mine was technically not a bun because some curls were hanging, so yeah - just come up with your own interpretation of the week's inspiration style. It's just intended to give you ideas to get out of whatever PS rut you're in. :yep: For me it was a wet bun because it was so quick and easy, but this year I want to put more effort into mine.

ShaniKeys

Great idea! But the only protective style I do are two strand twists:ohwell: I'm gonna braid it up for the next three months though, does this count?

nakialovesshoes

:hiya:

I'm in tree braids right now doing the experiment listed below n my siggy. However, when I take them down I will be on a PS mission - forging my way to BSL by my 35th b-day.

Anyhoo...I have alot of protective style links that I've saved 4 ideas. Some from other threads - some I've found on my own. Here are 2 of my faves. I will post my very 1st protective style as soon as I take my braids down. HTH...

http://www.haircomesthebride.com/ - this is a website for bridal hair accessories. However with each accessory, they show a picture of the actual accessory used in a hairstyle (just click on the pic of the accessory). Normally the hairstyle is a protective style. Now, you don't have to buy from them but you can take the ideas & buy cheaper accessories. Ebay is 1 of my fave sites for inexpensive hair accessories.

For the hair styling challenge (like me) this is a french bun styling tool: http://www.adiscountbeauty.com//page611.html - I haven't purchased it yet so I can't say if it works or not but...here's a pic of a simply adorned french bun to go with it:

Sorry if this pic is too big.

Butterfly08

Great idea! But the only protective style I do are two strand twists:ohwell: I'm gonna braid it up for the next three months though, does this count?

I believe braids and twists are protective styles in that there is little to no manipulation once the hair is braided or twisted. If your braids are long enough and not plaited to your scalp maybe you could experiment with buns and french rolls to jazz it up a bit! I found a YT video of a girl who posted like 30 different styles that she did with her braids, it was really amazing. :yep: I'll see if I can find it for you.

:hiya:

I'm in tree braids right now doing the experiment listed below n my siggy. However, when I take them down I will be on a PS mission - forging my way to BSL by my 35th b-day.

Anyhoo...I have alot of protective style links that I've saved 4 ideas. Some from other threads - some I've found on my own. Here are 2 of my faves. I will post my very 1st protective style as soon as I take my braids down. HTH...

http://www.haircomesthebride.com/ - this is a website for bridal hair accessories. However with each accessory, they show a picture of the actual accessory used in a hairstyle (just click on the pic of the accessory). Normally the hairstyle is a protective style. Now, you don't have to buy from them but you can take the ideas & buy cheaper accessories. Ebay is 1 of my fave sites for inexpensive hair accessories.

For the hair styling challenge (like me) this is a french bun styling tool: http://www.adiscountbeauty.com//page611.html - I haven't purchased it yet so I can't say if it works or not but...here's a pic of a simply adorned french bun to go with it:

Sorry if this pic is too big.

That pic is pretty. I actually wanted to do french rolls for week 2 unless someone else has an idea! :yep: Off to visit the site. :driver:

Butterfly08

WEEK 2: THE FAUX BOB

I am posting this a little early since I just tried one today. I will be back with pics after my workout. :grin: This is a great way to get another day or two out of an old or frizzy rollerset (or even braid out) - especially if the ends are uneven and would require rolling or curling for uniformity. I literally did it in less than 5 minutes. :yep: BRB

Last edited:

luxe.li.

imma just keep my eye on this thread, my hair isn't long enough for buns....but this is very interesting!

Butterfly08

imma just keep my eye on this thread, my hair isn't long enough for buns....but this is very interesting!

Well hmm, you just gave me an idea. I think I will do french rolls next week unless someone else jumps in, but maybe I will incorporate some flat rolls that you could try. :yep:

Sugarhoneyicetea

Great thread! I don't have enough hair to style right now either. We need some protective styles for those that have just BC...all I can think of right now are twists!

wheezy807

Butterfly08, you got some seriously beautiful hair on your head! And those nails....:blush: I kinda wanna join but i've been basicly doing the same protective style since forever, too.:lachen:Meanwhile i'll add this to the list.

nakialovesshoes

Butterfly your bun for week 2 is cute. Can't wait until I take my tree braids out next week so I can join in from time to time.

Butterfly08

Great thread! I don't have enough hair to style right now either. We need some protective styles for those that have just BC...all I can think of right now are twists!

Does anyone have pics of protective styles for shorter hair? I will look for some pics online and try to post options for all hair lengths starting with Week 3.

Butterfly08, you got some seriously beautiful hair on your head! And those nails....:blush: I kinda wanna join but i've been basicly doing the same protective style since forever, too.:lachen:Meanwhile i'll add this to the list.

:giggle: Thanks. I actually have a new pic to post to the Nail Fanatics Thread tonight.
great idea for a thread.

eta: love the phone!!!!

Thank you! I got straight clowned over the holidays. :lachen: Folx were calling me Kimora Junior. :ohwell:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
How did I miss this thread!! I love your faux bob too- it's so pretty! I will try that once my hair gets a bit longer. When I get a chance, I'll post some different protective styles too! You ladies have wonderful styles.

Last edited:

ShaniKeys

This is the protective style I've been sportin' since december 28th. I washed and deep conditioned my hair today, and finished by twisting my hair. I'm gonna get my hair braided next week.

Attachments

• DSC01571.jpg
    DSC01571.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC01607.jpg
    DSC01607.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 104

Butterfly08

How did I miss this thread!! I love your faux bob too- it's so pretty! I will try that once my hair gets a bit longer. When I get a chance, I'll post some different protective styles too! You ladies have wonderful styles.

Thanks, please post when you get a chance! :yep:

This is the protective style I've been sportin' since december 28th. I washed and deep conditioned my hair today, and finished by twisting my hair. I'm gonna get my hair braided next week.

Cool - did you do the twists yourself? I'm trying to come up with a style that could be used on shorter hair. I'm trying to incorporate flat twists somehow.....:scratchch....Maybe I could do one layer of free twists like yours on the top. Imma play around with it tomorrow.