2009: 52 weeks of protective styles

LaLaa

Im doing this now. Im stretching my relaxer for a year and have been wearing wigs for the first 6 months and im going to continue to wear wigs the next 6 months. I hope it works out for me. This is my first time stretching for a year so i hope it turns out good.

Butterfly08

Styles I've been playin with forr work....

Beautiful! I especially love the first style. I think I understand how you did this. If I have it right then I have done a similar style. I will try it again. :yep:

I came across this youtube video with how-tos for a number of protective styles: link

I've seen this one before! :lol: Can you tell I'm on YT waaaaaaay too much! :look: What I love is how quickly she whips all those styles together! :whip:

Im doing this now. Im stretching my relaxer for a year and have been wearing wigs for the first 6 months and im going to continue to wear wigs the next 6 months. I hope it works out for me. This is my first time stretching for a year so i hope it turns out good.

Good luck!!! A year is a long time. One of our members, Sylver2, stretches for a year. Check her out on YT if you haven't already, she has some GREAT tips that helped me get through my 4.5 stretch. :up:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Yay, did my first set of 2 strand twists! They're not perfect, but I did them!:yep: I am getting the hang of this!:yay:

unalteredone

Here are 2 PS's that i tried out today. with my new hair toy... a hair fork (2 prongs)

The first 2 pics: after i had done 4 flat twists on my hair for the night. I took them out and did a sorts southern tease bun. I just put it higher and then pinned down the sides so that it looked more round. It looks like a nice, full bun, much fuller than my round buns usually look.

The second 2 pics: a sort of inside out double tails up. I washed and DCed, then blowdryed and Caruso rolled my ends. I parted my hair in half, and then twisted both parts up and in towards each other. i stuck my hair fork in between them, such that one prong was stabbing the middle of each little twist.

Attachments

• Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 103
  • Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Photo 6.jpg
    Photo 6.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Photo 13.jpg
    Photo 13.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 79

Butterfly08

Where do y'all buy your flower accessories from? They are so cute!!

The Dollar Tree! They have some cute flower blooms. I cut them off, leaving a little stem, then stick into my hair.

Here are 2 PS's that i tried out today. with my new hair toy... a hair fork (2 prongs)

The first 2 pics: after i had done 4 flat twists on my hair for the night. I took them out and did a sorts southern tease bun. I just put it higher and then pinned down the sides so that it looked more round. It looks like a nice, full bun, much fuller than my round buns usually look.

The second 2 pics: a sort of inside out double tails up. I washed and DCed, then blowdryed and Caruso rolled my ends. I parted my hair in half, and then twisted both parts up and in towards each other. i stuck my hair fork in between them, such that one prong was stabbing the middle of each little twist.

I love both of them, especially the first one! :up:

hairdrama:{

Did not take pics for last week's style :ohwell:; but you guys were right about the flower, I got a lot of compliments on it........:yep:

Butterfly08

Hi guys, I'm behind again. :sad: This time I have a legitimate excuse. :look: A tree fell on our house during a storm so we've been staying in a hotel. I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of protective styles over the next few months because I will just not feel like dealing with it. When I get annoyed I hate my hair on my neck!!!!!! After we get settled I'll be back and I'll post more styles to catch up. Just wanted to encourage everyone to keep PS'ing!!!

In the meantime, feel free to add your suggestions (and pics :grin:). I know someone did a braided style and I may try that one and take a pic.

Take care guys! :wave:

Miss*Tress

Here's a style I found today, but haven't yet tried.

Inspiration

Instructions

LivingDol1

Alright, so I decided to test the "Southern Tease" bun for myself after I saw this YT video tutorial on the mane & chic website. The girl has shorter hair than I do so I figured if she can do it, I have no excuses... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_-X.../tag/Do+Your+Own+Hair&feature=player_embedded

I prefer higher buns so I tried to start by placing my ends closer to the crown. I bobby pinned the bottom so i didn't have any loose hair hanging. I prefer things a little messy too. I was working with 4 day old roller set hair, so my hair was especially limp looking... I scrunched my hair at the top with my fingers for a little volume and there you have it.

Attachments

• tease_bun_side.jpg
    tease_bun_side.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 80
  • tease_bun_back.jpg
    tease_bun_back.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 75
  • tease_bun_top_back.jpg
    tease_bun_top_back.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

hairdrama:{

Hi guys, I'm behind again. :sad: This time I have a legitimate excuse. :look: A tree fell on our house during a storm so we've been staying in a hotel. I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of protective styles over the next few months because I will just not feel like dealing with it. When I get annoyed I hate my hair on my neck!!!!!! After we get settled I'll be back and I'll post more styles to catch up. Just wanted to encourage everyone to keep PS'ing!!!

In the meantime, feel free to add your suggestions (and pics :grin:). I know someone did a braided style and I may try that one and take a pic.

Take care guys! :wave:

Oh wow! sorry about that :sad:....

LaidBak

OK its been a hot minute since we've posted here Ladies. Butterfly I hope everything is going well with your house.
I've been using clip in tracks for my protective style. I bought some hair, cut it into small sections and sewed some clips onto it. The hair is curled and I just put three tracks in the back of my head each morning. I make ponytails and buns.

Its nothing spectacular to look at so I haven't taken any pics. Its just a technique that can be used for those of us with NL/SL hair that's too thin for a decent bun.

Last edited:

Butterfly08

Sorry I've been MIA. My housing situation is coming together, just waiting on the insurance check so we can get the repairs started!!!!

I did a bantu knot out (with rollers on the end) and formed a curly bun. I'll take a pic before I go to bed and post later this week. :yawn:

Butterfly08

Week #: IDK, sorry lost count :whyme:
Style: S Roll

I have been back to my old faithful wet bun rut, been so swamped and not very creative. :perplexed The good thing is after 3 days of wet bunning my ends formed a nice circular shape, which helped me to form an S french roll. It could have been a figure 8 if I had secured the ends a little tighter.

hillytmj

Week #: IDK, sorry lost count :whyme:
Style: S Roll

I have been back to my old faithful wet bun rut, been so swamped and not very creative. :perplexed The good thing is after 3 days of wet bunning my ends formed a nice circular shape, which helped me to form an S french roll. It could have been a figure 8 if I had secured the ends a little tighter.

very cute! I like this style and it sounds like it's easy to do.

Butterfly08

^Thanks for bumping. I've been so unbelievably overwhelmed lately. I promise I'll come back to this before the end of 2009. In the meantime ladies, please post your latest PS!!!!