2011 *All-Encompassing* End-of-Year Reveals!

virtuenow

Theresamonet what are u doing to detangle now? Your ends look thick and healthy. What moisurizer & deeep Conditioner/protien-moisture balancing products ru using? Thx!

Theresamonet

Theresamonet what are u doing to detangle now? Your ends look thick and healthy. What moisurizer & deeep Conditioner/protien-moisture balancing products ru using? Thx!

virtuenow I use these combs to detangle:

These combs detangle my hair really well without shredding my poor little strands like the Denman and TT did. I also felt like just using a wide tooth comb wasn't getting rid of all my shed hair, and I was getting a lot of ssk. I haven't had any problem since switching to these combs.

As far as products...My hair doesn't need a lot of protein, but I make sure I don't completely omit it from my regimen the way I used to.

For wash I use either Roux porosity control shampoo or KeraPRO shampoo, the one for very dry hair. I then I do 2-5 min of a light protein treatment Joico K-pak, Roux mendex, etc. I then I follow up with a very moisturizing deep conditioner (KeraPRO moisturizing treatment for very dry hair, or Silk Elements Megasilk).

For leave in products, I do a light protein spray (Infusium, Aphagee keratin, etc), followed by a creamy moisturizing product (Usually Qhemet).

HTH

manter26

Identify your 2011 progress. (length, edges, thickness, etc.)
not much progress. i was unknowingly cut blunt, so i guess the lack of layers makes my hair look wider :look: still coping with that. i didn't really gain any length this year...quite disappointed in that.

What thing(s) do you feel contributed the MOST to your progress?
no progress really, but i know i need to keep my ends protected because my hair is so fine. i lost 3" to a "trim" in sept and when i trimmed and s&d this month, i had a ton of ssk and splits already...but mostly in the back where it hangs down.

What challenges did you participate in during 2011?
n/a

What's your key word of advice for strong, healthy hair?
for me, i learned my lesson with PS'ing. i had my hair out and enjoyed it a lot, but paid the price. i know now i have to non-stop protective style for length.

Is there anything you'll change in 2012?
ps'ing all day, every day. i might wear wigs, idk. i have to make some changes because baby fine strands plus being a slow grower is a recipe for disaster. i'm lucky to get 3" a year. le sigh... i'm also going to trim more often and do it myself because my last professional trim was a HAM.

All of 2010 (last pic Dec 19, 2010)

Dec 20, 2011

One more thing I learned...color is the devil. I will never again color my hair, it came out in chunks. I have spots all over that are 3-4" because of box color. :nono: Thankfully, my bald spot finally grew in. Luckily my hair is dense enough that the short pieces aren't noticeable.

ETA: my post is so negative because I've been so obsessed with inches...so I decided to come back and add what I enjoyed about this year. :look: I can say this year I absolutely love my hair, everything about it. I wore it out and I loved every second of it. I hit people with it, I blocked views in the movie theatre, I tickled my niece with it, I was asked all the time if it's a wig...We had a good year. :lol: I learned a lot of lessons, but I'm glad I can say I really love my hair, I haven't felt that way in a long time. Even when it was MBL I didn't care much for it because hair didn't matter to me.

Last edited:

ATLcutey20

This was taken July 2010

This was taken Sept 2011 (I dusted my ends after the pic)

My last length check for 2011. (Taken Nov 23, 2011)

My hair grew lengthwise and I was able to retain my thickness.

Bunning and no heat for a year helped alot! Stretching my relaxers (12wks) & adding the mid-protein step helped also.

I did the APL 2011 challenge, Delightful Delicious DeepConditioning Challenge, & Ceramide Challenge

Little or no heat and maintaining the protein/moisture balance

I need to baby my ends more.
Hopefully, I'll be grazing BSL this time next year. :yep:

LaFemmeNaturelle

• Identify your 2011 progress. I started my18 month transition Thanksgiving 09. I am now 25 months post relaxer so I can only give a 2 year progress as this is my first time straightening my hair. So 2 years of growth got me to BSL.

[*]What thing(s) do you feel contributed the MOST to your progress? Protective styles and low manipulation is the ONLY thing that got me here.

[*]What challenges did you participate in during 2011?
    Only length challenges. APL 2011, BSL 2011

[*]What's your key word of advice for strong, healthy hair? Different things work for different people but you need to know your hair. I'm in med school so I don't have time for all the co-washing, moisturizing, and deep conditioning. My hair gets super dry at times while it stays in a bun or under a week but the key to MY retention is protecting my hair and limiting manipulation. I wear ALOT of buns and alot of wigs. I've worn my hair out (braidout) maybe about 10 times this semester.

[*]Is there anything you'll change in 2012?
    I'm going to try to moisturize more often.

Last edited:

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
Here's My Contribution:

My hair definitely got longer. My ends also seem to be healthier.

Wearing Wigs and protective styling, relaxer stretching

• BSL Challenge (not there yet), Sulfur Challenge, 2 inches in 4 months (will achieve)

Stick to a regimen.

I will be more consistent with applying sulfur and I just started using a hair vitamin.

leiah

February 2011
March 2011

December 2011
My hair is a litttle damp in these - it is much fuller when dry

Length! Sorry for the poor quality of pics. I don't have pictures of my hair at it's longest and shortest (I trimmed a good 2 inches last month).
I also had a great recovery from postpartum shedding

No heat, bunning

• Oils challenge and jumped in and out of a few others

Low manipulation and plenty of protein

Less playing around with products - i'm just going to stick to the good stuff

Kdiamond19

Identify your 2011 progress. (length, edges, thickness, etc.)Length, thickness, & overall health

What thing(s) do you feel contributed the MOST to your progress?Chopped off my relax ends in April 2011, Daily Vitamins (Multi/MSM/Nioxin), Paid for LHCF membership so to get my money worth I log-on daily

What challenges did you participate in during 2011?End of the Year - No Heat Challenge (Sept - Dec 31, 2011)
Personal No Heat Challenge since my chop

What's your key word of advice for strong, healthy hair?Keep it simple & pay attention to what your hair responds to

Stop buying wigs & weaves and let my natural hair out to play.

Attachments

• 2011 -Hair Journeya.jpg
    2011 -Hair Journeya.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 224

g.lo

Hi,

first of all thank you to all the wonderful Ladies at LHCH, without you I would have not made progress. A special thanks to Njoy (i was bombarding her with questions!!!)
my Progress was length retention, thicker hair and my edges. I started Neck length and made it to APL in less than a year!
Maintaining protein-moisture balance
well quite few but only sticked to the cowash and steaming ones:grin:.

I am still educating myself, but being consistant, patient and willing to listen to your hair.

Is there anything you'll change in 2012? in 2011 I have learned to keep the protein-moisture balance, and in 2012 i will pay more attention to my ends( i will be in protective style 99%), add supplements (maxi Hair), and still debating on sulfur!

pic1-jan11, pic2-june11, pic3-nov11 and pic4-dec11(today, and it looks like i got 1 inch from nov to dec).

Attachments

• january11.jpg
    january11.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 112
  • june11.jpg
    june11.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 103
  • november11.jpg
    november11.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 103
  • december11.jpg
    december11.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

ChristmasCarol

*eta* I don't have a BEFORE pic because I've been maintaining at BSL all year while cutting away the relaxed ends as the natural hair grows out.

Blowdried with Crisco and flatironed on 12/22/2011:

My transition continued and my natural hair grew from above SL to BSL in the nape. I trimmed all the relaxed hair off in the rear and I now have about 5 inches of relaxed hair left in the crown.

Co-washing 2-3x/wk

None

Never allow your hair to tangle, cover in silk or satin at night...BREATHE, lol

No, I'll continue to do the same - which is nothing much

Last edited:

Damaged but not out

`

Length and thickness

Braiding
Henna
Clay washes

Lose 1lb Gain 1inch (failed)
Braid challenge(failed
Gain 2 inches in 4 months( passed)

Listen to your hair

I won't cut, trim yes. Lost more than 2 inches this year cutting

January 1 2011

December27th 2011x3

Last edited:

dollface0023

I got a little bit of growth this year since I went from a few inches past APL to MBL. My edges were virtually gone since I let my cousin install my weave waaay too tight. My edges are perfectly filled now :yep:

Leaving my hair alone by wearing weaves and half wigs. Deep Conditioning once every 2 weeks. Applying Mega-tek and Ovation and Moisturizing often.

I believe a Mega-Tek Challenge and MBL Challenge.

Keeping your moisturized and literally leaving it alone for awhile.

My hair seems a bit thin...so I may calm down on the weaves for 2012. I may just half wig it for a little while and start bunning.

04-2011

06-2011

09-2011

12-2011

shasha8685

Identify your 2011 progress. (length, edges, thickness, etc.) Full BSL. Edges and thickness are the same as they always have been.

What thing(s) do you feel contributed the MOST to your progress? Protective styling like a mad woman

What challenges did you participate in during 2011? just the BSL challenge

What's your key word of advice for strong, healthy hair? Keep it simple. When you start doing a million and one things, it's hard to see results.

Is there anything you'll change in 2012? Nope

Pic on the left is from Dec 2010

Pic on the right is from Dec 2011

Attachments

• 087.jpg
    087.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 241
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 263

hair4romheaven

First pic Nov 2010
Second pic Dec 2011

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1325088345233.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325088345233.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 150
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325088392986.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325088392986.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 155

SummerSolstice

One more thing I learned...color is the devil. I will never again color my hair, it came out in chunks. I have spots all over that are 3-4" because of box color. :nono: Thankfully, my bald spot finally grew in. Luckily my hair is dense enough that the short pieces aren't noticeable.

manter26 I just wanted to tell you all color isn't bad. Box color has a high volume of developer which causes the most damage to your hair. Box chemical products also contain the "leftovers" from the manufacturers. You're not getting their highest quality product like a professional in a salon would. Next time you try color go to a stylist and ask them to use 20 volume, and then for touch ups only get the roots done. never double process the already colored non virgin hair. Ur hair looks great!

FoxxyLocs

*Click pics to make them bigger*

I started the year with dreadlocks that I had for 2.5 years.

I finished taking them out in May. My hair was TBL when I took them out, but I cut about 2-3 inches off immediately b/c it was super damaged and brittle. This pic is after the first cut.

Another cut around June or July.

Got it straightened and another trim in September. She only cut maybe 0.5-1 inch. I ended up cutting another 1-2 inches in October I think, maybe early November.

Length today.

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/69_143/61_128/IMAG0243-vi.jpg

Not a true texture shot b/c it's not fully reverted, but you can see the shrinkage.

I'm happy with my progress this year. My goal was to get back to HL, which I didn't but I did get rid of all my damaged ends so I'm happy about that.

Last edited:

virtuenow

FoxxyLocs how did you take your locs down? If you did a thread, please link us! Your hair looks great; did you keep your locs very moisturized-- you were able to hold on to so much hair. Do you have the same regimen now that your hair is loose?

FoxxyLocs

@FoxxyLocs how did you take your locs down? If you did a thread, please link us! Your hair looks great; did you keep your locs very moisturized-- you were able to hold on to so much hair. Do you have the same regimen now that your hair is loose?

@virtuenow - I didn't make a thread about it, sorry! I just soaked each one in conditioner and water and picked it out with the metal end of a rat tailed comb - very tedious.

I washed & conditioned my locs once a week and DC'd every 2 weeks (x1 hr, no heat, suave naturals + olive oil, castor oil, sometimes honey). I also sprayed them with a liquid leave in (water + suave + castor oil) daily to keep them moisturized. I only redid the roots every 6-8 weeks.

I started my locs w/MBL hair (twists), they shrunk to my chin and then grew back to BSL so there was a lot of hair matted up in there. My regimen now is basically the same. I played around a little bit when I first finished taking them down, but I've gone back to my old regimen. I do DC more often now, and I do protein treatments once a month, which I didn't do before.

ETA: I don't shampoo weekly. I'm down to 1-2x/per month. A lot of times I just DC/co-wash and put my hair in a bun without detangling. My hair gets detangled probably 1-2x/month unless it's straightened. I'm all about low manipulation.

Last edited:

Diva_Esq

I went from barely APL to BSL in a year. See below for pics. I retained great length this year, got down to a holy grail of staple products, tools and styles. My layers grew out so my hair doesn't look so mulletty! lol... Loving my naturality!!

Tons of moisture, daily cowashing, mastering protective styling, twists/ twist outs, finding the right products

See my siggy. Very proud to have made my BSL goal by 12/31/2011!!! :yay:

K.I.S.S., do the research, youtube is your best friend, spend some QT with your tresses!!

Pics below!! :)

12/31/10- 1 year ago

12/28/11- TODAY- MADE BSL!!!! :yay:

No! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I want to keep doing the same to inch toward my WL by 1/13/2013 (oo-oop!) goal!!!

Thanks, ladies for being my inspiration, hair Bible, support and everything else!!! :D

Congrats to everyone!!!! HHG!!!!!!!

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Okay, so here's how this year went for me:

In December 2010:

I was BSL but really unhappy with the state of my ends and the look of my hair overall, so in March 2011, I cut back to APL:

It looked better, but I still had several inches of damaged hair to get rid of.

By May 2011, I was close to BSL again:

I stretched from May to today (which was a terrible mistake that I will never ever repeat for the rest of my life), and after my touchup, I had my stylist cut off the last two or three inches of damaged hair.
And here's what I have now:

I'm sad that I didn't reach my length goal, but I still think I had a pretty good year. My hair is healthier now and looks way better than last year, and that's a big part of what I was shooting for this year. So I'm a happy camper.

For next year, the main change in my regimen will be the addition of cassia treatments, for extra strength and thickness.
I'm also going to recommit myself to my hair journey...I've been so busy this year with school and work, and cut corners alot in my regimen. Going back to the basics and giving my hair the attention it needs will be the theme for next year. :yep:

Happy New Year ladies, and congrats on all your successes!

Last edited:

Ijanei

Started off with SL transitioning hair in Jan2011, March had a major trim which also cut off the relaxed ends. So started at NL on March 2nd, 2011. Was in hyh challenge all year and did it with wash-n-gos. got me hear from March til June

then here from August to now

extra pics to for nothing,

HHG everyone. I'm very satisfied with my growth and natural hair now. Love my curls