*-*-*2011 Baggy Challenge*-*-*

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Come one, come all and join the 2011 Baggy Challenge!

Are you ready to pamper your tresses with moisture?

Are you ready for soft, moisturized, pliant, supple hair?

Well... are you? What are you waiting for? :grin:

Rules:

- You must baggy/GHE (green house effect) at least 4 times per week. Overnight, while cleaning the house, under a wig, under a snood, the possibilities are endless!

- You must check in each time you baggy/GHE and let us know which products you're baggying with.

- Pictures are not required, but we all know that LHCF loves the pretteh. :grin:

To join:

1) Thank this post and I'll add your name to the list of participants.

2) Tell us how many times per week you'll be baggying or GHE'ing and what products you're planning on using.

3) Enjoy drenching your hair in moisture. :spinning:

More info on GHE:

WHAT'S THE POINT, WHAT DOES IT DO?
The whole point of the entire Real Queens Regimen is to eliminate the process of using hair products that contain chemicals and start using the natural things that God created to help grow your hair…as you can see from my progress pictures, the green house effect helps to promote hair growth by creating a natural warm steamy environment that enables the natural oils from your scalp to come out and help your hair grow...it's also great for dryness because of all the moisture produced
ISN'T THE GREEN HOUSE EFFECT JUST BAGGYING?
Baggying involves using a moisturizer (which contains chemicals) and a plastic cap to help retain moisture and hydrate your hair. The green house effect is mainly to help promote hair growth in a natural way as well as restore moisture.

CAN I USE A BONNET INSTEAD OF A HEAD WRAP/SCARF?
The whole point of tying your head after putting on the plastic cap is to trap the heat that your head produces to create that "green house effect". I don't sweat very easily so I find that for me I get the best results when I tie my head with my scarf then I put on my warm hat, but you can do whatever works for you. someone mentioned that they use their satin bonnet then they put their beanie (hat) over it, and that worked for them. The main goal is to get your head to sweat a little, and you'll know if you did it right if you wake up in the morning and take the plastic cap off and see little drops of water in it and your hair is a little damp
DO YOU HAVE TO WASH THE OIL OUT?
no, you don't...the point is to not wash out the oil. It's not like a hot oil treatment where it needs to be rinsed out. simply style your hair as usual and repeat the green house effect as often as possible.
DO YOU HAVE TO REAPLY THE OIL EVERY TIME?
It depends, some peoples hair absorbs oil more then others. I find that sometimes (when i do the regimen every night) my hair still has a good amount of oil in it from the previous night so i don't need to reaply and i just skip the oil and put the shower cap on and tie my head.
DO YOU PUT ANYTHING ON YOUR SCALP?
No. The green house effect causes your scalps natural oils to come out so you want these natural oils that God created to do the job. There's no need to oil your scalp directly just put the evoo on your hair
DO YOU STILL MOISTURIZE AND SEAL?
because i only use natural products in my hair I moisturize with water and seal with evoo
CONCERNED WITH MY HAIR BEING DAMP IN THE MORNING...
your hair won't be WET just a little damp because of the moisture...when you apply a moisturizer in your hair the key ingredient is water so your hair feels a little moist...same concept...your hair will feel moist. I use water when doing the green house effect because i prefer it that way so my hair usually air dries in 15 minutes. you don't have to use water though that way your hair won't be as damp when you take the cap off.

Info on GHE was taken from here.

Challengers:

tiffers
TeeWhyAre
kupenda
Golden75
SherylsTresses
YoursTrulyRE
~Vintage Queen~
CrissieD
Platinum
Starronda
Aveena
Bajanmum
Krystle~Hime
nickpoopie
DayDreamist
makeupgirl
Chelz
ZebraPrintLover
MyAngelEyez~C~U
Shay72
Seamonster
tatiana
toiatoya
MaraWithLove
lovestarr
Prettylonghair
curlycrown85
Rossy2010
Rhetta
MyCoilsGoBoing
Aggie
Bublin

Last edited:

Krystle~Hime

there is the same challenge on another famous board and folks hi jacked the thread about saying that baggying and ghe are the same, just these 2 methods have different target/goal
I don't even know what to think now :s .. :ohwell:

I baggying every other day, I want to be in but.. all this confusion.

TeeWhyAre

i've fall off of bagging hard but it did help me retain when I was doing it. I did it for over a year and had some good growth. I've been bunning and I suppose I'll baggy from now til the end of the year.

i plan to baggy my buns almost every day.
i use water, oil, and butters or vaseline if i have no butters.

I should probably also mention that I'm not very good at updating threads or my progress so I will fail you on that front. Just know that I'm doing it every day.

I'm interested to see the results from baggying and my personal health goals to see where things end up.

tiffers

there is the same challenge on another famous board and folks hi jacked the thread about saying that baggying and ghe are the same, just these 2 methods have different target/goal
I don't even know what to think now :s .. :ohwell:

I baggying every other day, I want to be in but.. all this confusion.

I thought the same thing until I really thought about it, but basically...

Baggying:
- Can be done on the ends only (bun, ponytail, etc)
- People who baggy typically use only one bag/shower cap on their head/pony/bun

GHE:
- Has to be done on the entire head
- Has to implement layers (beanie on top of saran wrap on top of shower cap, etc) in order to trap as much heat as possible

I don't think a big hullabaloo needs to be made about how similar/different the two are. That's just silly. :drunk: Some folks will think they're the same, others won't. That's the beauty of having our own minds and opinions. :grin:

kupenda

Well I am in. I love doing stuff to my hair and reaping all the yummy benefits! I can't thank from my phone but thanks! I will baggy two times a week and GHE two times a week to ensure that my hair is getting all the moisture it needs. Especially since it's been pretty dry lately. This is gonna be fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I'm in. I'm in hats 24/7 - literally. I just big chopped (not the reason I wear hats, I am lazy, and short on time, full-time job & part-time job) So I will GHE at night, prob 4x a week. Ques: can any oil be used, cause I have a bunch including JBCO. If so I will either use JBCO, or my shea,mango, jbco, and about 5-7 other oils mixed (makes my hair so soft).

@tiffers - I saw your post about Beenies, and then I saw another poster say something about beenies, and I was like wth is up with beenies, I must find out. Thanks! I now know.

ETA: Will use Oyin juices to dampen for GHE, unless its a cowash nite.

Last edited:

Platinum

:curtain:

I'm in! I love baggying! I get good growth and retention when I'm consistent with it. I plan to baggy every night and on days that I wear hats. I plan to moisturize with water or braid spray/curl moisturizers and seal with JBCO. I also plan to use a protein based leave-in conditioner like Surge 14 (I still have a few bottles of this) or Infusium 23. I do this to prevent moisture overload.

Thanks for starting this challenge again tiffers

kupenda

Gonna baggy tonight with grapeseed oil with a lil rosemary eo added while washing and folding clothes. Last night I baggied with the last of my taliah waajid pmb and massaged Vatika frosting into my scalp. That felt soooo good. I'm hooked!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
Hey Tiffers!
I do this almost each night anyway...Please add me! Thanks

Aveena

I have been doing the GHE the past two weeks and didn't even realise it.

I wrap my head with saran wrap or a plastic baggy then cover with my scarf. When I wake up I gently style my egdes and clip the ends up in a loose bun. I've been getting consistantly great results doing this and my hair is loving it.

Just this morning I was wondering how long I will be able to do this before I run the risk of over moisturizing? but I'm not adding oils everynight just covering?

So, I love this challenge because it will help me track this method since I am already doing it.

Last night I henna'd - full strength overnight with the plastic wrap so tonight will be day 1 for me I will apply a light coating of castor oil and then wrap it up!

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
tiffers - I love the J&B too, but the last batch I bought from Curlmart seemed a lil strong, and SO said he felt nauseus (i can never spell this word correctly), so I purchased the Greg, and the other. OT: but I also purchased the pudding from curlmart and the consistency was different when purchased from Oyin - so will only purchase direct from no on.

Also to be sure I do the dang thang right - is it plastic cap, scarf, another plastic cap, then hat/scarf?

tiffers

Starronda, Aveena Welcome, chickadees! :wave:

Aveena, I don't think you have to worry about overmoisturizing since you're not using any moisturizers or conditioners on your hair. It's kind of working with the moisture you have, rather than adding more, ya know?

Last edited:

tiffers

Golden75 The stuff from curlmart is a different consistency? So weird! The J&B from curlmart was the stuff that smelled strong?

For the GHE, you can layer in whatever way is best for you. I tried shower cap, foil, bonnet. That REALLY trapped the heat, the foil had my head pretty damn hot. :lol: For the past few days, I've been layering three shower caps topped with my bonnet and that seems to be doing the job as well. The shower caps is more convenient because I just reuse them the next day.

Last edited:

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
@tiffers - so as many layers as you want/can stand - Got it.

I first purchased samples from Oyin they were great. Curlmart must've had a coupon so I ordered from them, I should've sent it back but with natural products I know there can be deviation. But the pudding was lumpy (this was cooler months) and the J&B was super sweet smelling. I was ok, but after SO made a comment, and the pudding change, I figure better stick to the main source, since it is probably fresher.

SherylsTresses

How many days a week? Every night

What products you'll be using when baggying? Cowash with Tresemme Naturals, moisturize with Giovanni Direct Leave-In mixed with EVOO. Wrap conditioning cap around wet bun and secure with a knee-hi. I wear this bad boy to my Corp job. :giggle:

Bajanmum

I'm in.

My ends have the tendency to be dry even though I 'grease' my scalp with Qhemet B's pomade.

I'll try to baggy or GHE 4x weekly. I have hairveda's whipped creme or with evoo.

Happy Hair Challenge, everyone!

Krystle~Hime

Gonna baggying my ends with homemade spritz moisturizer and castor oil.have I alrezdy say I want to be in !!!!?:grin:

CurlsBazillion

I have slacked off in this dept and I need to get back on it! I will be doing the GHE, I'll mist my hair with my hair spritz (water, kinky curly tiny twirls, glycerine) then add wheat germ to my ends and EVOO or grapeseed to the length of my hair. A little of all that, a shower cap and 2 scarves (I'll add a skully in the fall/winter). Will start 2night!

makeupgirl

I'm in...I'll probably baggy every other night using EVOO and some of my curls moisturizer.

Using a shower cap and then a bonnet.

I hope I"m doing this right. Is it ok if I use just plain EVOO?

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
Baggying for two hours with Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque. When I take off my baggy I will seal with Coconut Oil.