2012 Ayurvedic Challenge

lovestarr

Was on vacation for a week and haven't been taking real care of my hair so now I am shedding like crazy! Doing a much needed cleanse of neem, shikakai, and brahmi mixed with warm water. After rinsing will do a henna treatment with henna mixed with black coffee, evco, and eos of thyme, rosemary, peppermint. Will leave the henna in overnight.

morehairplease

Hi ladies,

By chance, is it too late to join this challenge? If not, I would love to join you ladies. My herbs will be purchased once we return home for vacation and I can start the first week of August and continue until December with all of you.

Many thanks in advance for your response,
morehairplease

ETA: Ladies are the powders preferred for users making pastes for their hair over the actually herb? I ask because I have a twa and will be using a tea infusion as a daily leave in moisturizer and wondered if the herbs should be used instead of the powders.

Again, many thanks in advance for a response,
morehairplease

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I should be a member of this challenge!! I did an over night henna, a little Jamila mixed with Red Raj (leftovers from the freezer) I mixed in hibiscus petal powder and Sukesh Ayurveda (a blend of organic cassia obovata, organic amla, organic neem, organic aloe vera, organic tulsi, brahmi, bhringraj, shikakai) + a heaping tablespoon of greek yogurt + a squirt of aloe vera gel.

I just had the great idea to start mixing my henna batches with aloe vera juice! I was using different teas in the past, but I will either mix the AVJ with the tea or use it straight in my henna mix.

ilong

God's Own
Anyone using oils (brhami, amla, bhringara, neem) instead of powder? I keep my hair weaved or braided 90% of the time and using a paste is out of the question.

I was planning to order the above in oil form - probably from one of the suppliers (Dosha Herbs) featured on Amazon. They seemed to be priced lower across the board.

ilong

God's Own
By the way I found this post by Prettycurls on Naturallycurly. Link is below.

"I was initially confused about Amla thinking that it was a shampoo, but now I have learned that it is a conditioner.

So far I have learned that Aritha, Neem, & Shikakai are all cleansers. Aritha adds strength and Neem is for deep cleansing.

Amla, Bringraj, Brhami, Triphala & Jatamansi all seem to be used as conditioners for moisture and growth.

Bringraj is considered the king of herbs for hair growth and it adds deep moisture.

Brahmi some say is drying, but it is good for growth as well.

I have kind of gathered from my limited research that the ratio of herb to water determines whether is acts as protein on the hair or as a moisturizer. I am trying to get more information about this.

I have also seen it discussed that certain herbs should be mixed in order to counteract those effects. Like Brhami should be mixed with Amla to countereffect its drying. Or Neem should be mixed with Bringraj to do the same.

Aritha Powder has the following advantages:

- Cleans skin thoroughly
- Excellent as a natural shampoo
- Gives hair natural floss and bounce

-adds strength

Amla Powder has the following advantages:
- Promotes hair growth
- Controls hair fall
- Cures scalp infection
- Controls premature graying of hair

-moisturizing??
-may be drying (has malic acid)

Shikakai Powder has the following advantages:
- Provides new life to hair strands
- Strengthens hair roots
- Increases bounchiness and silkiness of hair
- Clears dandruff
- Keeps the scalp clean and cool.

a good cleanser. It has a natural low pH, is extremely mild, and doesn't strip hair of natural oils. Usually no rinse or conditioner is used since shikakai also acts as a detangler

Brahmi Powder (most potent hair vitalizer)
- Cools the scalp and induces sound sleep, Controls dandruff, Makes hair long, dark, Dense & lustrous , strengthens hair roots, -can be drying??

Bringrai Oil - removes graying, balding, makes the hair darker, and promotes deep sleep. Externally, it draws out poisons and reduces inflammations and swollen glands. It also improves complexion.

Bringraj Powder - Bringraj is considered the king of herbs for hair growth and it adds deep moisture. Also helps with premature graying, balding and alopecia when taken internally and used topically on the scalp.

Neem – deep cleaning.

Neem oil - used in hair loss and early graying. Also fights dandruff.

Kalpitone Powder -Kalpitone Powder is used to get Dark, Dandruff Free hair. Kalpi Tone Powder has the following advantages: Gives a dark tinge to the hair. Strengthens hair roots and promotes hair growth.

Triphala & Jatamansi are said to be conditioners for moisture and growth, but I didn’t find anything on them.

Hesh Heenara - Mehendi Leaves (36%), Maka Leaves (9%), Shikakai Fruit, Amla Fruit (5%), Methi Seed, Narangi Chal, Neem Leaves, Kumari Leaves, Japakusum Flower, Mandoor Powder, Behda Fruit, Kapur Kachli Stem, Brahmi Leaves, Harde Fruit, Chandan, Sugandhi Dravya.

From Afrosheenqueen:

Hibiscus - In Ayurvedic medicine, hibiscus petal is was used to stimulate thicker hair growth and to prevent premature graying, hair loss and scalp disorders. It acts as a natural emollient hair conditioner and can be used in hair washes, treatments and vinegar rinses for the hair. Use it in combination with brahmi and amla extracts. It has also been long used as a mild shampoo in for babies."

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4a/80336-ayurvedic-herb-spinoff-thread.html

auparavant

I'll take the challenge. Need to treat some itchy scalp areas and also wanna push this hair out fast. I'm pretty shaved. Anyhoo, it is what it is. I just got tired of the struggle one day and WHACK...then a few days later, buzz (with guard, I ain't crazy). But I'm so short now. Well, it's the end of summer and I want my hair back and know it's going to slow down soon with the onset of Winter.

I'll start with a bottle of Bringraj oil and shikakai shampoo bars 2-4 times a week to use all these products up. Think I'll push all my ayurvedic products to get rid of them. I cleaned out a ton of products over the weekend. Vatika oil once weekly before wash and vatika deep conditioner with honey weekly to counteract this dryness. Whenever I cut truly short, my hair and scalp are incredibly dry for awhile.

Nyssa28

Platinum, Looks like it's almost time for a new thread.

The only thing I want to try now is instead of using oils and the teas, I want to try adding the powders to my condish.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using LHCF

greenandchic

Hey Guys,

Last night I made a paste/rinse with Brahmi, Kapur Kachri and Shikakai powders. I forgot how hard it is to rinse it out - it's worse than henna, but I do like the results...

growinghealthyhair

DarkJoy said:
Bump

Curious as I plan to do Ayurvedic for 2013.

DarkJoy

Please do!! I fell off because I didn't think it was working :-/ a month ago I I compared pictures of my hair that I took when I was using it and yea...my hair was in noticeably better shape and was thicker and thriving. But was I happy? Nope! Comparing my hair journey to that of others really hurt my progress :-( I'm back on it now though. An thank GOD. A vendor I found here and ordered from online is literally a mile away from me :)

g.lo

I fell off the challenge due to being lazy! but since October i have been using my powders once a week without failure and will be doing so for a year and see what progress i make!

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I believe that IDareT'sHair will be adding aryuvedic to the tea/coffee challenge....that's where/how I use my aruyvedics...I couldn't handle making pastes so I include them in my tea rinses now...Hibiscus I believe is considered an aruyvedic which I use in my DC blend of tea. I also use bhringaraj (in abundance) in my mid wash rinse (this is used daily) and it truly is moisturizing...I love this stuff. The other that I use is amla...which I have to use sparingly but does work wonders for me. I don't use any hard/harsh protein treatments but using amla is perfect for me:yep: when I start to see a couple small strands I whip it out and my hair is instantly strengthened. I am still working out a timeline for the amla as daily or multiple times a week was a set back waiting to happen. I will perfect that in 2013. I do accredit these and tea's (which many fall under the category of ayurvedic) with improving the overall quality of my hair...strength, thickness, body. Oh and I haven't been using these for a year maybe 4 months or so...

Ogoma

I will definitely join that. I have been using AVJ to seal with great success and I intend to do an ayurvedic gloss at least once a month.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I fell off the ayurvedic wagon this year, but I'm now back to using my ayurvedic teas, oils, and poo bar. I will be incorporating powders and oils back into my regimen for 2013 :yep:.