2012 Ayurvedic Challenge

Jewell

Trying to muster the energy to do a black henna (Reshma) and Hesh Brahmi treatment. Going to restock my Kapur Kachri, Hibiscus, and Maka powders. For those who dont know, brahmi is thyme (yes the seasoning often applied to roast chicken. I love raw rosemary, bay laurel leaf, holy basil, star anise, whole red pepper, eucalyptus, and lavender for herbal teas and infusions. All for the hair and scalp!

lovestarr

Did a scalp treatment/cleanse with neem, shikakai, and brahmi powders mixed with hot water. Then DC'd with AOHSR, honey, evoo, jbco, avj, peppermint and rosemary eo, mixed with hibiscus, maka, and amla powders. The scent and fluffiness is deelish!! :lick:. Will leave on for 3-4 hours then moisturize and seal with some vatika oil.

Zedster

Wow, I've forgotten to post here for a long time, but I've been keeping up with my regimen! Weekly scalp treatment mix of amla, orange peel, rose, brahmi, aritha, and shikakai powders. I leave it in for the day and rinse, oil, and wrap it ip. About three weeks ago I straightened the back of my head to see if I had any growth. My hair grew a little…but for how long I've been doing this, it was rather disappointing length. Moreover, I noticed some of my strands had split/weak spots in the middle of the shaft.

I started using JBCO (instead of shea butter and/or regular CO), so time will tell if it helps. I'm not doing nearly as well as many of you :nono:

lovestarr

Wow, I've forgotten to post here for a long time, but I've been keeping up with my regimen! Weekly scalp treatment mix of amla, orange peel, rose, brahmi, aritha, and shikakai powders. I leave it in for the day and rinse, oil, and wrap it ip. About three weeks ago I straightened the back of my head to see if I had any growth. My hair grew a little…but for how long I've been doing this, it was rather disappointing length. Moreover, I noticed some of my strands had split/weak spots in the middle of the shaft.

I started using JBCO (instead of shea butter and/or regular CO), so time will tell if it helps. I'm not doing nearly as well as many of you :nono:

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your progress. What are you using to keep your hair moisturized? What ratio of powders are you using? I see you incorporate aritha and shikakai powders - both which are strong cleansing agents. I read it is best to use just one or the other because the 2 together are very potent and stripping. Maybe you should reevaluate your regi but what is your daily/weekly regimen?

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I'm late, so I'm just going to lurk. I just got a big order from Henna Sooq, I'm looking for recipes and ideas!

Me too. Showing up all late.

I went overboard, not really knowing if my hair will like any of this at all. Ah well. There's nothing to it but to do it. I'm looking for recipes and ideas too.

GUYS !!!!!!! mix your powder with MILK !!!!! the texture of the paste is totally not the same, not "grainy" and it rinses out perfectly !! I didn't even need to do
"rinse > conditioner > rinse" like I usually do for 2 years, for being sure that all the grains was rinsed out.
Just one long rinse and voilà !!

Does that milk leave build up?

Ronnieaj

NJoy,

I mix my pastes with coconut milk, and I don't find that there's any buildup so long as I cowash thoroughly. I can NEVER get all the grains out with just rinsing :nono:. There's just no way.

Tomorrow I'm doing a kalpi tone paste mixed with coconut milk, molasses and oil. I've been thinking about it all week :grin:.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@NJoy,

I mix my pastes with coconut milk, and I don't find that there's any buildup so long as I cowash thoroughly. I can NEVER get all the grains out with just rinsing :nono:. There's just no way.

Tomorrow I'm doing a kalpi tone paste mixed with coconut milk, molasses and oil. I've been thinking about it all week :grin:.

Thanks! I just bought some coconut milk too. Right on time! :yep:

lovestarr

I was definitely going to inquire who has tried mixing with coconut milk. I have a can at home and will be doing a serious DC tomorrow for my 3 month anniversary date. Not sure what combo of powders I will use yet I'm excited to try them with the coconut milk!

lovestarr

Tried coconut milk with hibiscus, amla, and maka powders yesterday. Added some peppermint eo and let sit for about 3 hours. My hair felt like silk when I was washing it out. Afterwards my hair was noticeably stronger but not as soft...guess because of the protein in the coconut milk - I think I am learning my fine strands love protein. Today I added some mehendi powder to some tresemme conditioner and let sit for 1 hour for moisture. Yes and my hair is back soft and but stronger. Will def be using coconut milk with my powders more often

shortt29

Used Coconut milk in my Brahmi and Amla powder mix yesterday. I let it sit for about an hour and followed up with a deep conditioner. I noticed an immediate difference in the strength of my hair!

LunaGorgeous

For those that mix their powders into conditioner and use it as a cowash, do you keep this mix and store it? Or is it just a one-time mix per session?

AtlantaJJ

Getting ready to slap on the Red Raj henna and go to bed. I mixed 100 grams with green tea and coffee, added 3 tbs of EVOO.

I sifted this henna through a pantyhose before using because I heard about the issue with twigs. I'm very interested to see how my gray hairs come out with this henna, it has a high lawsone percentage.

My hair is really growing fast! since I started using:
Sukesh Ayurveda for Hair from Henna SOOQ - Ingredients: organic cassia obovata, organic amla, organic neem, organic aloe vera, organic tulsi, brahmi, bhringraj, shikakai

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Are these powders like hennaing? Can I still use these if I dye my hair to cover my grays? I know I read that if you henna its hard to dye your hair so thats why I would like to know if my dye will still take with using the other powders listed except for the henna? Or should I just henna as well and be done with it? If I do henna how hard would it be to dye my hair exactly? Sorry for all the questions! TIA!

choctaw

For those that mix their powders into conditioner and use it as a cowash, do you keep this mix and store it? Or is it just a one-time mix per session?

LunaGorgeous,

I mixed up more than a liter and stored it in an applicator bottle and clean Giovanni liter pump bottle. My current mix is powders (neem, maka), oils (neem, tea tree), distilled water and cheap moisturizing conditioner (Suave Humectant). I believe I used a tablespoon of tea tree and 2 tablespoons of neem oil. I used to mix up single applications and got tired of it. The tea tree and neem oil are natural preservatives ... have not seen any mold or noted funky smells. HTH

choctaw

I applied a henna paste using Dulhan henna, very warm ayurvedic tea (fenugreek, hibiscus) and Kapoor kachli powder. I added the kapoor kachli powder AFTER dye release occurred -- enough to thicken the paste to consistency of pudding. The kapoor kachli powder smells wonderful :lick:

lovestarr

Are these powders like hennaing? Can I still use these if I dye my hair to cover my grays? I know I read that if you henna its hard to dye your hair so thats why I would like to know if my dye will still take with using the other powders listed except for the henna? Or should I just henna as well and be done with it? If I do henna how hard would it be to dye my hair exactly? Sorry for all the questions! TIA!

If you henna your hair a commercial dye WILL NOT take! I made that mistake right before this last BC and this why I decided to BC again. The only thing that was dyed was my roots so I ended up with dark brown hair and gold roots! Not cute :nono:. And it left my hair very brittle since I have fine strands. Other ayurvedic powders I read are safe to use on color treated hair but beware because some of the powders will alter the color. Majority of the ladies on here use henna to cover up grays including myself so there isn't really any need for commercial dyes. I would recommend just using henna and ayurvedic powders. DO NOT try to dye your hair after you have henna'd bc it will be a waste. Hope this help.

HanaKuroi

Does the type of Henna come into play when covering grays? I henna'd my mom's hair and it was too dark in the front and she dyed it a few days later. She has gray hair. It wasn't resistant. Maybe it was the type of dye?it might be because her leave out hair is heat damaged and takes dye easily.

lovestarr

Does the type of Henna come into play when covering grays? I henna'd my mom's hair and it was too dark in the front and she dyed it a few days later. She has gray hair. It wasn't resistant. Maybe it was the type of dye?it might be because her leave out hair is heat damaged and takes dye easily.

I think it depends on what color dye you are using. I was using a honey blonde to get a light brown color as I usually do when I do my hair but the part of my hair that was henna'd did not take at all. If you are using a dark dye it might work so I think the resistance comes with trying to use a lighter color. I used Rajasthani Jasmine ancient sunrise - it did turn my grays a copper color and my hair had a red tint to it. I still have a lot left and might use it as a henna gloss in the future.

lovestarr

Did a mix of coconut milk, amla, hibiscus, mehendi, and avj. Left on for 2 hours with no heat. Mini DC afterwards with shea moisture.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
lovestarr said:
If you henna your hair a commercial dye WILL NOT take! I made that mistake right before this last BC and this why I decided to BC again. The only thing that was dyed was my roots so I ended up with dark brown hair and gold roots! Not cute :nono:. And it left my hair very brittle since I have fine strands. Other ayurvedic powders I read are safe to use on color treated hair but beware because some of the powders will alter the color. Majority of the ladies on here use henna to cover up grays including myself so there isn't really any need for commercial dyes. I would recommend just using henna and ayurvedic powders. DO NOT try to dye your hair after you have henna'd bc it will be a waste. Hope this help.

Thank u so much for response! One more question if I already have commercial dye on my hair can I still use the henna from this point on? Last color with a permanent was in February. I use a semi permanent last week I thunk it said it was suppose to be a rinse and Ira almost all rinsed out my hair it really didn't last at all. I want to go to maybe a local Indian store to get the powders and henna but wanted to make sure I don't have to cut my hair before starting to use henna. Thank u again hun!

shortt29

Defrosted my last batch of Henna, mixed with a little bit of coconut milk and applied...letting it sit for 3 hours

HanaKuroi

lovestarr said:
I think it depends on what color dye you are using. I was using a honey blonde to get a light brown color as I usually do when I do my hair but the part of my hair that was henna'd did not take at all. If you are using a dark dye it might work so I think the resistance comes with trying to use a lighter color. I used Rajasthani Jasmine ancient sunrise - it did turn my grays a copper color and my hair had a red tint to it. I still have a lot left and might use it as a henna gloss in the future.

That is very interesting. I think it is best to test. All hair dyes aren't equal either. I wonder if a higher lawsone content henna makes a difference too.

Last edited:

lovestarr

Thank u so much for response! One more question if I already have commercial dye on my hair can I still use the henna from this point on? Last color with a permanent was in February. I use a semi permanent last week I thunk it said it was suppose to be a rinse and Ira almost all rinsed out my hair it really didn't last at all. I want to go to maybe a local Indian store to get the powders and henna but wanted to make sure I don't have to cut my hair before starting to use henna. Thank u again hun!

I used henna I think about 4 months after I used a semi-permanent jet black color. My hair was fine. I am not sure about using just one week after a semi permanent only because that might be too much manipulation (well for my hair at least because I have fine strands). If your hair is in good condition and pretty strong I would just mix a very small batch (tablespoons) and apply it to a test area first. Good luck!

MzSwift

Has anyone cowashed w/ powders & cond. While in braids?

hair4romheaven

Yes ma'am. That's basically what I do. I mix up my poo and condish with the powders. I use the condish to cowash as well. I'm usually rocking cornrows or mini braids. As long as my mix isn't too gritty, I don't have any problems. Sometimes I do but after a few daily rinses, most of the grit is gone.