2012 Natural Products Challenge

greenandchic

Here we go!

I posed the question: Naturals who use natural products, do you see a difference? and the responses prompted me to start a challenge for 2012.

~Overview~
Many people feel using natural products for their hair such as cleansers, conditioners, treatments, stylers, etc makes a difference in the health of their hair. Some of the benefits may include better moisture/protein balance, less breakage and shedding, and better retention. You may also want to avoid certain ingredients out of concern the health of you and your family.

~Guidelines~
1. Thank this post and I will add you.
2. The challenge starts January 1, 2012 and will end December 31, 2012.
3. A "before" photo is due by the first week of the challenge.
4. Please update at least weekly or as often as you like.
5. Updates should includes products used, including brief reviews and photos at least quarterly.
6. Have fun!!

~Questions to Start the Challenge~
1. Current length
2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other
3. Hair goals for the year.
4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using.
5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc)

~Challengers~
greenandchic
A856
An_gell
AyannaDivine
BronxJazzy
Chelz
cocoma
coyacoy
Curlykale
Damaged but not out
DayDreamist
daydreem2876
fe6968
Giggletush
growinghealthyhair
HairRaiser
JulietWhiskey
lamaria211
Lita
Loves Harmony
MaraWithLove
Marino
My-Foolish-Heart
NappyNelle
prettybyrd
ProductJunkie
Proudnapps
QUEENJAMES231
southerncitygirl
sugarwater
Ronnieaj
tiffers
Whimsy
youwillrise
Zeal

Natural Brands
Anita Grant
Aubrey Organics
B.A.S.K.
Camille Rose
Darcy’s Botanicals
Gleau Hair Care
Hairitage Hydration
Jamaica Hut
Ohm Body
Karen's Body Beautiful
Kyra's Ultimate Indulgence
Marie Dean
Oyin
Pura Body Organics
Qhemet Biologics
Red's Kitchen Sink
Saravun
Shi-Naturals
TLC Naturals
Zipporah

Places to Buy Ingredients (oils, butters, etc)
Bramble Berry
Camden Grey
Elements Bath and Body
From Nature With Love
Garden of Wisdom
Mountain Rose Herbs
Ingredients to Die For

Foods (to name a few)
Apple cider vinegar
Avocadoes
Black tea
Cocoa
Coconut butter
Coconut milk
Coconut oil
Flax seeds
Hemp seed oil
Herbal teas
Honey
Molasses
Olive oil
Yogurt
:lick:

Other
Henna and other Ayurvedic treatments

Recipes
Please let us know of any concoctions and kitchen creations that works for you!
All Natural Beauty This website contains skin, body and hair care recipes.

Last edited:

A856

Re: 2010 Natural Products Challenge

greenandchic I think you need to change the title to 2012. :)

I'm ready...I'm using up what I have now to prepare for my New Natural Year!

HairRaiser

I'm in! I'm so glad you decided to start this challenge greenandchic thank you!

1. Current length - SL

2. Natural/Relaxed/Texlaxed/Locked/Other - Relaxed

3. Hair goals for the year. - Healthier, longer hair.

4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using.*- Shampoo and DC x1 a week. Moisturize, seal, and baggy everyday. Airdry and 99% protective styling. Protein treatments as needed and heavy protein treatment before and after stretched relaxers.
I have a variety of natural products and oils that I need to use up (yes I am a product junkie) so I will be using Oyin Handmade, QB, DB, KBB, SM, and some homemade products.

5. Products/ingredients you will*avoid*(eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc)* If it doesn't grow out the ground, it's not going in my hair. (Exceptions: BTMS and fatty alcohols).

Attachments

• Starting LHCF Pic - Copy Resized.jpg
    Starting LHCF Pic - Copy Resized.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Ronnieaj

I'm in!! I followed your other thread closely, realized that I use a lot of natural ingredients anyway, and want to see how far I can go. I'll post more deets later!

Edited to answer Questions:

1. Current length: I think grazing APL straightened. I've trimmed twice while in twists, so I'm not ENTIRELY sure :look:

2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other: Natural

3. Hair goals for the year: Just healthier hair. I'd love it if it thickened, I'd love it if it lengthened, but I really just want to practice healthy hair care and see where that gets me without the drama of length-checking (no offense to length-checking, AT ALL, I'm just tired of doing it :lol:).

4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using: Primarily ayurvedic tea rinses weekly with a bentonite/rhassoul clay mask every 3 weeks, followed by co-washing, DCing, alternating light/medium/heavy protein treatments every 3 weeks. I'll probably stay twisted up most of 2012 and bun when not twisted. I'll wear it out on a few occasions. I'll be using homemade mixes, along with SheScentit, Mozeke, DB, Qhemet, Aubrey Organics, and Wen (which I know has amodimethicone, but I still lurves it).

5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc): I'm really
going to try to stay away from sulfates, and limit my -cones exposure (except for Wen, outlined above).

Question for you ladies: The only time I currently use sulfates is when I do my Aphogee 2-step treatment and my Mega-tek treatment, which I alternate every 6 weeks. Do you guys have any suggestions for getting the hair REALLY good and stupid clean (almost squeaky) for those treatments? TIA!!

Last edited:

growinghealthyhair

1. Current length - TWA
2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other - Natural
3. Hair goals for the year. - Thicker, healthier hair!!
4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using. - I'm using U-Part Wigs and sew-ins (will do sew-ins in the summer) for my protective styles. I use ayurvedic herbs mostly and as far as products I use, I'm using Qhemet and Oyin...
5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc) Sulfates !

Man, so hairveda isn't all natural??

QUEENJAMES231

I'm in..

1. Current lengthSL
2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other Natural
3. Hair goals for the year.)12 inches or APL
Terressentials once a month
co-wash weekly with Yes to Carrots
dc when needed(Bee Mine or Honey Hemp and add an egg if needed)
M/S with one of my leave-ins/moisturizers in my stash(Direct Leave-in, Hair Dew.KKNT) Coconut oil/Burnt Sugar pomade to seal

As far as styles I do twists/kinky twists/twistouts/wigs I PS 90% of the time due to work/laziness

5. Products/ingredients you will avoid . cones, sulfates, parabens, etc)

sorry for the upside down picture

Attachments

• lc, back.JPG
    lc, back.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

CurlsBazillion

I'm in!!! I already have 2 out of 3 steps of my regimen using natural products. My shampoo and my M&S products are organic. I had shescentit banana brulee DC but it caused breakage so I'm on a hunt for a natural DC right now. Can't wait to see what you ladies are using!

greenandchic

Yay! Glad to see you all here! I need to use some some "unatural" products before the end of the year. If I don't use them up, Ill just keep them until...

A856 - Thanks for the heads up! LOL

A856

Can any of the "moderators" change the title to reflect 2012?!? Thanks!

lamaria211

IMG_20111206_105904.jpg
this is a current pic taken yesterday.Im 100% natural and use natural products 100% of the time i use mostly Giovanni and AO products, i also have some shea moisture products that are ok.

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.

tiffers

1. Current length: CBL

2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other: Natural

3. Hair goals for the year: To reach APL and be grazing BSB by the end of the year. :grin: I'm also trying to thicken up and grow the hair at my temples. For some reason, they're extremely sparse. :perplexed

4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using: I use all kinds of brands. AO, Marie Dean, Zipporah, Camille Rose, Qhemet, Jessicurl and more. :grin:

5. Products/ingredients you will avoid: Cones, parabens, sulfates, DMDM Hydantoin, hormones (i.e. placenta) and basically anything that I can't pronounce. :lol:

Here's my starting pic **CRAPPY, GRAINY CELL PHONE PICTURE ALERT**

Last edited:

prettybyrd

1. Current length
CBL - just between CBL and APL

Natural

I'd love thicker sides and edges.
My fingers are crossed for BSL this year!
I want to retain all of the hair that I grow. All of it! :grin:

a. Cleanse (shampoo) and condition once a week - Oyin Head to Toe Honey Wash and Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner.

b. DC once a week - Darcy's Botanicals Deep Conditioning Mask, JBCO Protein Conditioner

c. Daily/nightly moisturizing and sealing ends
JBCO for scalp and ends 2-3 nights a week when I re-braid.

d. Protective style (buns and plaits)
braids

DMDM Hydantoin
Parabens

Last edited:

greenandchic

lamaria211 - Beautiful hair! I envy how thick and juice it looks!

tiffers - Thanks for the additional links; I will add them to the list.
What's DMDM Hydantoin? I'm trying to weed out so-called "natural" products too. I wonder if Shea Moisture fits into that category due to some of the ingredients used.

Beautiful hair and great progress! :D

A856 - Thanks for making a call out to the mods! I feel like such a fool. :(

prettybyrd - I'm curious about the JBCO protein conditioner. I'm looking for something as strong as Aphrogee products, but it may be a stretch to get something that's natural & strong - or is it?

prettybyrd

greenandchic, I haven't used aphogee in a while to give a fair comparison, but I love the JBCO Protein Conditioner. It smells like pickle juice and black licorice, :lick: :lick:but after I use it, my hair is really soft. I don't remember my hair feeling like that after Aphogee, so it would be my guess that it is not as strong as Aphogee.

thetall1

Wow! I am so glad you started this challenge!! I am most definitely in!! This will be my very first challenge, and I am excited! Too bad I just bought a huge jar of Ecostyler gel...lol...oh well...I'll be back with pics and my stats...

tiffers

greenandchic No problemo. :) There are sooo many natural products out now, it's hard to keep track of them all!

DMDM Hydantoin is a preservative and it releases formedehyde. :crazy: Like, who in the hell wants that poison on their hair and scalp, ya know? No thanks. :down:

prettybyrd

greenandchic No problemo. :) There are sooo many natural products out now, it's hard to keep track of them all!

DMDM Hydantoin is a preservative and it releases formedehyde. :crazy: Like, who in the hell wants that poison on their hair and scalp, ya know? No thanks. :down:

When I saw that Taliah Waajid added this to the Black Earth shampoo and conditioner my heart sank! There are much less harmful preservatives out there, I don't know why this stuff is still allowed in products.

greenandchic

I think I may be "sensitive" to shea butter.

Last night after washing and conditioning my hair, I styled it with products that does not have shea butter in it (though I did blend shea butter in my rinse out conditioner last night). My hair is soooo soft with the products I used that's made from other butters (avocado, hemp seed) and oils. When I use shea butter based products as a leave-in or styler, my hair always feel dry the next day. That's not the case now.

Anyone else experienced this?

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up!

tiffers

greenandchic Cute avi, girl! :grin:

Yeah, my hair isn't too fond of shea butter either. I tried sealing with it once and my hair was so hard and dry, it was crazy!

I can use things that don't contain tons of the stuff, but if shea butter is a main ingredient in something, my hair will throw a fit.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
~Guidelines~
1. Thank this post and I will add you.
2. The challenge starts January 1, 2012 and will end December 31, 2012.
3. A "before" photo is due by the first week of the challenge.
4. Please update at least weekly or as often as you like.
5. Updates should includes products used, including brief reviews and photos at least quarterly.
6. Have fun!!

1. Current length

I'm in!

1. Between APL and BSL - will update by the end of the year.
2. Natural 4A
3. Waist Length - December 2012 :yep:
4. Regimen:
Pre-poo with a warm oil. Wash and deep condition under steamer once a week or every two weeks, depending on style. [Alternate using shampoo and conditioner for washing; alternate protein conditioner and moisturizing conditioner for steaming.] Air dry and style. Moisturize and seal as needed during the week, concentrating on the ends of hair. Massage scalp with sulfur oil or pomade 3-4x a week. Trim every 3-4 months using the lunar cycle provided at Luna Tips-Heavenly Hair Care.

Staple Hair Products

Shampoos: Chagrin Valley Neem & Tea Tree, or Mud & Clay shampoo bars

Conditioners:
Co-Washing- Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture
Moisture- Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Protein- Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancing

Styling

Moisturizers:
Spray- Oyin Handmade Juices & Berries
Creme- Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream

Gels:
Light- Oyin Handmade Shine & Define
Heavy- EcoStyler

Pomade: Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade

Oils: Castor, Grapeseed, Coconut, Vatika oils
5. Avoiding sulfates, cones (unless I straighten) and Ecostyler. (I rarely use Eco gel, but I will do my best to avoid it this year.)

Last edited:

CurlsBazillion

OK I found a great DC for now.
1.Current length between SL and APL
2. Natural/Relaxed/Textlaxed/Locked/Other Natural
3. Hair goals for the year. Trying for BSL
4. Reggie, styles and products that you will be using. Weekly; I shampoo with shea moisture, oil rinse with grapeseed oil, DC with giovanni smooth as silk conditioner over night with grapseed oil layered on top of that. Protective styles; cornrows, box braids, or buns. I wear wigs 90% of the time over those protective styles. Daily; I mist my hair with Jane Carter revitalizing leave in, mositurize with giovanni direct leave in, and seal with grapeseed, coconut, or olive oil.
5. Products/ingredients you will avoid (eg. cones, sulfates, parabens, etc) Mineral oil, petroleum, cones, sulfates...

greenandchic

Question for the Challengers #1

For those of you who use gel, what are your favorite natural gels? I do like FSG, but I sometimes like to have something that I don't have to constantly keep in the fridge.

I like using Aubrey Organic B5 gel, but I wouldn't mind trying others - especially something that has a bit more hold.

Thoughts?