2012 Natural Products Challenge

greenandchic

Are Giovanni products natural? Do they have ceramides? I'm trying to geet the best of both worlds...

Giovanni products are natural to a certain degree, but not completely. I've never known of them to have ceramides. Aubrey Organics is the only one I know of that has it for sure...

My-Foolish-Heart

I haven't checked in for a while. Still keeping on a regimen with Bee Mine products, although I've recently started exploring Qhemet. Im having tree raids installed to help me finish out my 6 month stretch (currently 4 months post). Will be mixing together a homemade braid spray to keep moisturized.

MaraWithLove

Ok, so I tried out my spritz. It's nice, I like it! It moisturizes and in addition to that, it's a curl popper-even for the very front of my hair where my curl is looser and not always so anxious to curl up!

Attachments

• 2012-01-30 20.46.31.jpg
    2012-01-30 20.46.31.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 17

Curlykale

I sprayed my hair with a lot aloe juice, added a little agave with Hairveda Cocasta oil and a plastic cap. After half an hour I cowashed with Giovanni 50:50 conditioner while finger detangling. Air dried in braids with a little bit of conditioner. When 90%dry, I applied some flax gel and Hairveda Green Tea hair butter on top, went to sleep in 6 braids, today I am wearing a messy bun and it feels pretty soft.

I am remoisturizing my hair with flax gel or diluted conditioner and thick oils (castor, wheat germ) or hydrogenated butters (avocado or hairveda green tea).

Lita

Ok, so I tried out my spritz. It's nice, I like it! It moisturizes and in addition to that, it's a curl popper-even for the very front of my hair where my curl is looser and not always so anxious to curl up!

MaraWithLove Great job..Your hair looks pretty & healthy..

Happy Hair Growing!

MaraWithLove

greenandchic No problem! :D I actually found the recipe on a blog (will link when I find it). It calls for 1.25 cups of water, 3 TBS hibiscus, aloe vera juice (you judge how much you'd like in it).

Side-note: Now that I think about it, I've never tried aloe vera gel before, but I'm guessing avg thickens things up because of its consistency?

Lita Thank you very much! I can say the same of you! =)

QUEENJAMES231

Got sick of my hair so I braided it up. Think Janet Jackson in Poetic Justice or Shanaynay

Attachments

• image-3843391222.jpg
    image-3843391222.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image-4241928936.jpg
    image-4241928936.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image-2841753363.jpg
    image-2841753363.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 6

Damaged but not out

Alright so after missing for a bit I'm back

Added my starting pics. Realised im hella close to APL. :grin:

hair is in braids where it will stay, will take a pic of my natural stash next week.
No real regimen in place, i work better without direction!

Recently hennaed my(orange) hair, added some hibiscus got a lovely deep red.
Next week I will be doing my first Rhassoul clay mix, excited!! Followed by a tea rinse and bck in braids.

For now here some pics of what i've been up to

Lita

Alright so after missing for a bit I'm back

Added my starting pics. Realised im hella close to APL. :grin:

hair is in braids where it will stay, will take a pic of my natural stash next week.
No real regimen in place, i work better without direction!

Recently hennaed my(orange) hair, added some hibiscus got a lovely deep red.
Next week I will be doing my first Rhassoul clay mix, excited!! Followed by a tea rinse and bck in braids.

For now here some pics of what i've been up to

@Damanged but not out Your hair is beautiful..nice & thick..

*Hibiscus is my favorite powder/tea rinse..If you add just a little to your conditioner every other week/spring,summer..Your hair will have a gorgeous hue..with natural looking highlights...

Happy Hair Growing!

Ronnieaj

I'm sitting here with my ayurvedic oil mix on my head. Will wash in the am with Bobeam honey hemp and green tea poo bar, do a coffee/tea rinse, DC with Mozeke moisturizing masque, acv rinse, and DB Pumpkin Condish as leave-in. Low-key, easy-peezy day :yep:.

Lita

Dampen my hair with water,Applied Hairitage (Macadamia/Lavender) creamy hair butter & Sealed with Rice bran oil....Rubbed Rosemary pomade on scalp.....

Happy Hair Growing!

greenandchic

Hennaed my hair this past Saturday. I need to find a new leave-in for my hair. It seems my hair gets sick of something every couple of months...

greenandchic

Tonight I cowashed my hair using Aussie Moist. I don't like the cone, but I needed the slip because my hair was still so tangled from a mistake I made Sunday: letting my hair dry without stretching and the tangles killed me even though I used tons of leave-in.

I guess I'm still in search of a cheap conditioner that has tons of slip but no cones.
In other news, I used Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream after detangling with KKKT and I think I'm in love. My hair is so soft and the ingredients are good for the most part. $9 for 4 oz at Whole Foods though I could probably find it cheaper at Vitacost.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

greenandchic said:
Tonight I cowashed my hair using Aussie Moist. I don't like the cone, but I needed the slip because my hair was still so tangled from a mistake I made Sunday: letting my hair dry without stretching and the tangles killed me even though I used tons of leave-in.

I guess I'm still in search of a cheap conditioner that has tons of slip but no cones.
In other news, I used Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream after detangling with KKKT and I think I'm in love. My hair is so soft and the ingredients are good for the most part. $9 for 4 oz at Whole Foods though I could probably find it cheaper at Vitacost.

Have you ever tried adding an oil to a cone-free conditioner for extra slip? I do this with Tresemme Naturals moisture conditioner, detangles like a breeze!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Z-kitty

Im not officially in the challenge but I have been using all natural products for over a year now. Can someone recommend a thick moisturizing DC? The Giovanni SAS is not cutting it, 1.2 months into my transition.

coyacoy

lamaria211 .....i started a thread on that exact topic for that exact reason ...i don't know how to post threads from my phone (sorry) otherwise i would have included it.....there are a ton of great suggestions several ladies provided ....the title of the thread is "substitutions for Qhemet".....i have been revisiting the Komaza care line myself and i am sooooo glad cuz im loving it....hth

lamaria211 said:
Qhemet site still out of stock im thinking i may have to seriously start looking for replacement line:sad:

lamaria211

@lamaria211 .....i started a thread on that exact topic for that exact reason ...i don't know how to post threads from my phone (sorry) otherwise i would have included it.....there are a ton of great suggestions several ladies provided ....the title of the thread is "substitutions for Qhemet".....i have been revisiting the Komaza care line myself and i am sooooo glad cuz im loving it....hth

Thanks i just went thru your thread i was thinking of checking out some Bear fruit products or Oyin, ill probably check out all of them being that i am a certified pj

greenandchic

(my repost from another thread)

Update: I found out why my hair is shedding, finally!

I had an appointment with a dermatologist on Thursday and she ordered blood work. I immediately went over to the lab right after my appointment and got one of the results back yesterday morning.

My ferritin (protein that stores iron and releases it in a controlled fashion) levels are very low, <40, which could cause hair loss. I am NOT anemic, but you can still have low ferritin.

"One of the most common causes of hair loss in pre-menopausal women is not hormones, but a nutritional deficiency, with depleted iron stores being the most important factor.

In a study, one hundred and fifty three women who were diagnosed with telogen effluvium from 1995-1998 were examined. Seventy two percent (n=75) of women in the premenopausal group were found to have iron deficiency as the cause of telogen effluvium. Iron deficiency is defined as having a ferritin level of under 40ng/ml or iron percent saturation under 20%. Iron deficiency is the most common cause of telogen effluvium in premenopausal women. Although medications are the most common cause of telogen effluvium in postmenopausal women, iron deficiency should not be ruled out.
(Janet L. Roberts Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR, USA)"

I started a raw vegan, food based iron supplement yesterday hoping that will help. They will check my levels in about a month.

Curlykale

I've been very bad. I've been using Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and generally conditioners without slip or just butters, and I haven't been detangling my hair properly very close to the scalp! I didn't realize about it until last night. Always paying attention to my ends and never to my scalp. My scalp was MATTED. lol What a nightmare. I had to use a wide tooth comb and Tresemme Naturals. Some breakage as well but I promise I'm going to behave well now.

- I need conditioners with slip or with BTMS, or my Giovanni 50:50. If it gets expensive with my long hair I may have to use Tresemme Naturals for cowashing (exception in my natural regimen).

- I can't want long hair and not co-wash every 3-4 days, come on. IT is simply not possible now, especially if I want to ditch the comb (which I hadn't used in a year or more).

- jojoba oil is great on my ends but not my friend on my scalp: since it is waxy it causes matting just like shea.

- loving avocado oil. I had underestimated the guy.

Last edited:

Lita

Yesterday,Applied KBN heavenly butter on ends & Sealed with Rice bran oil..
*Enjoying how nice my hair feels & looks..

Happy Hair Growing!

MaraWithLove

Today is supposed to be my wash day but I'm feeling a little under the weather and am debating whether to put it off. Plus I hennaed on Wednesday so it seems too soon to wash.

Anyhow this is what I've been up to:
I've been using Hairitage Hydrations silk'n aloe as well as soft n creamy horsetail butter for moisturizers. I love the consistency of the silk'n aloe for a sort of seal or moisture over top of lightweight products.

I made a black tea spritz with drops of nettle extract, horsetail extract and orange EO. Loving it so far! I also have rosemary oil I made that's been in the making for a month or so and I plan to try it out this weekend or early next week.

I've been using my coffee oil to seal. I'm wondering: do you guys know how to whip a shea butter up to change its consistency? I like the scent and tingling sensation of B-N-B growth butter but the consistency is gritty and it's hard to maneuver. Any suggestions?

I've also attached a picture of my hair from Wednesday, after washing my henna out.

Attachments

• 2012-02-15 18.22.15.jpg
    2012-02-15 18.22.15.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 24

Giggletush

It's been a long time, but just wanted to update that I'm still going strong with my all natural regimen. I wash with Terressentials mud wash, or baking soda mixed with honey and water (Really really great and doesn't leave my hair stripped at all). I still DC with plain old coconut oil. I tried EVOO, and it just didn't work for me. I have a leave in mix and I henna every month for strength. So far, I gotta say, this is by far the BEST that my hair has ever been. Period. This is probably the one bandwagon that I will not be jumping off anytime soon.

Happy Hair Growing Everybody!!!

prettybyrd

Hello everyone!

I'm still hanging in there with my natural products. I haven't had much time since being back in school to post much less make my own products like I had planned, but I am sticking with my Oyin staples, Darcy's Botanicals and Little Penguins. I'm trying out some others too.

I'm happy to say that this challenge has made me totally reevaluate all of the unnecessary and potentially harmful chemicals I expose myself too. It did not make sense to make sure that my hair was getting "juices and berries" while I ate stuff I couldn't pronounce. :nono:

For the last few weeks I've been co-washing with Little Penguins Honey and Vanilla Bean smoothie, followed by Fresh Cream, and topped off with some Ella Jelly.The gel gets a little hard, but I'm managing.

I hope everyone else is doing well! :bighug:

prettybyrd

Hey, greenandchic, I love Fresh Cream. It's my absolute favorite product. I use it on wet hair as a leave-in. I shingle the product through my hair with my fingers and allow it to air-dry a bit before I add the Ella Jelly.

FC is light and the smell, while it's strong, is pleasant. If you like ylang-ylang and jasmine, you'll love it! It leaves my hair very soft and not the least bit oily. Once it's on and my hair is dry, the curls are very springy.

I use EJ for light hold in the front and I'd probably like it better if I used less...I'll have to try and control myself. :)

I like the Vanilla Bean smoothie, too, it's a great co-wash and I like that the fragrance is light - almost non-existent - that way should you use it before FC you don't have competing fragrances. EJ has a very light smell too.

I also tried the Mango Illipe Pom, but I did not like it. I would like to try another of her poms, because I like oils, but I have yet to try another.

I know the creator intended LP for her little ones, but this stuff is the best! If you give it a try, I hope that you like it. I hate to give it such high marks in case you don't like it, but I hope that you do. Especially the FC. :)