2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovebug10

15 weeks & 2 days post!! wowwwwwww! this is the least stress ive had in a stretch.

i have ALOT of NG. and I think I retained quite a bit. i did trim in November b/c my ends were crusty but no more than .25 inches maybe .5 inches in some places but it was like only a few strands.

What I've been doing to make this stretch easy:
1) wash about 1x per week, do a moisturizing DC, let air dry. when its dry I moisturize my hard crunchy NG with DB Transitioning Creme until it is soft and wavy - I apply this like a relaxer. Then I put some DB leave in on the lengths and seal with extra virgin olive oil. Then I put transitioning creme on the lengths and seal with extra virgin olive oil (my LOCO method).

2) all manipulation occurs with my hair in four parts. I just section it off with my hands. nothing fancy.

3) don't let the NG get crunchy. If its getting a tad bit dry I put some DB leave in on it. If it gets hard/ really dry I do the same moisturizing routine as step 1.

3) moisturize often - every day to every other day (depends how much is needed)

4) sleep with 2 french braids. I just part my hair with my hands and finger come then moisturize and seal (LOCO method) and then just french braid.

Cute Stretching styles
1) Bun - high, low, to the side

2) high bun with a french braid up the back - this protects my nape and eliminates me having to use so many bobby pins or gel to keep the shorter hairs from falling
3) braid outs
4) french braid from ear to ear like a headband and then do a braid out in the back... unbraid the back in the morning after sleeping with braids and I have a pretty braided head band with loose waves in back
5) i will try my caruso rollers next wash and try to find a cute style for that as well

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
lovebug10 do you do your own french braid up the back? I had my mom do it for me once and loved it but just knew I couldn't do it on my own....I LOVE that style:yep:

sunnieb

Hey buds!

I reset my relaxer countdown app and I have 123 days until my next relaxer! Wowzers! Imma need ya'll!

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

sunnieb

Rozlewis - I downloaded the "Days Left Widget " on Google Play.

I like it because it keeps count on the main screen of my tablet. There's alot of different ones out there though.

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

lovebug10

Nix08 yes I do. Its not that hard. I usually section off the hair I want to braid and then use a clip to hold down the rest so it doesn't mix with the braided part. I love it so much because I think high buns look best on me and I don't have to worry about my short nape breaking. One thing that helps me is if I bend my head down as I do it... i dont think it actually does anything but in my mind its easier that way.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Nix08 yes I do. Its not that hard. I usually section off the hair I want to braid and then use a clip to hold down the rest so it doesn't mix with the braided part. I love it so much because I think high buns look best on me and I don't have to worry about my short nape breaking. One thing that helps me is if I bend my head down as I do it... i dont think it actually does anything but in my mind its easier that way.

I'm so jealous:cry:

sunnieb

Compare and contrast - 18 weeks post vs. Freshly Relaxed

irisak

KaramelDiva1978 I need you to talk me off the ledge buddy. I've made it twelve weeks and want to stretch to my birthday in march but at the same time I haven't found a good style to stretch with. I have tree braids in but after two weeks they are hanging from my head. It's not the braiders fault but my hair seems to want to keep growing like it's still summer. I could always take them out soon but then I'd just be back in my ponytail and it's too damn cold for daily cowashing. I'm tired of sew ins and think I just needed to rant for a minute. I get mad when I realize I wasted so much money on a style my hair won't hold for more then 4 weeks. I just don't know what to do with this wig of mine. And I don't feel like my hair will be hot on new years eve if I don't do a tu. Ok rant over. Woosai lol.

Eta: sew ins are just as frustrating because even though I do them myself I still only get about four weeks before they have to come down. It's so time consuming. Ugh!

Last edited:

Rozlewis

divachyk, your hair looks very healthy. January 11th is 10 weeks for me too but I am going to try to stretch till January 25th. My birthday is the 27th so it would be freshly relaxed for my birthday.

KaramelDiva1978

@KaramelDiva1978 I need you to talk me off the ledge buddy. I've made it twelve weeks and want to stretch to my birthday in march but at the same time I haven't found a good style to stretch with. I have tree braids in but after two weeks they are hanging from my head. It's not the braiders fault but my hair seems to want to keep growing like it's still summer. I could always take them out soon but then I'd just be back in my ponytail and it's too damn cold for daily cowashing. I'm tired of sew ins and think I just needed to rant for a minute. I get mad when I realize I wasted so much money on a style my hair won't hold for more then 4 weeks. I just don't know what to do with this wig of mine. And I don't feel like my hair will be hot on new years eve if I don't do a tu. Ok rant over. Woosai lol.

Eta: sew ins are just as frustrating because even though I do them myself I still only get about four weeks before they have to come down. It's so time consuming. Ugh!

Okay chick, let's talk this thing through!! You know when it comes to touch-ups at the 10-12 week mark, I'm "trigger happy" :lachen:!! You are the "Queen Stretcher" of the two of us, you're just in a style crunch. I just ordered me a cute human hair shorty 'do that I hope comes in by Saturday, because I'm going to use it to extend my stretch. Okay irisak, back away from the relaxer for a minute and let's talk stretch style options: rollersets or rod sets, a high bun with chop sticks, an upside down french braid with a bun on top, you can do a long, side classy phony pony, a new wig (half or full). You can do cornrows in the front and curls in the back.

I am no longer a braid person. My hair has always been thick and I've always sat for about 9 hours and after the last time I got micros, I swore torturing myself ever again. I'm jealous that your hair is in a "killer growth" phase, that's wonderful chick! You're going to BSL by your next length check. :yep: As for your sew-ins that last 4 weeks, that's awesome! I know its a lot of work, but you get to really baby your hair but doing it once a month, that's great. I would do it, but I don't like sew-ins either. Wigs seem to be the only fake hair I can tolerate.

When all else fails, before you relax YOUTUBE, YOUTUBE, AND MORE YOUTUBE to find a stretch style you haven't tried yet. You got this girl, its worth it, hang in there!!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
divachyk, your hair looks very healthy. January 11th is 10 weeks for me too but I am going to try to stretch till January 25th. My birthday is the 27th so it would be freshly relaxed for my birthday.

Rozlewis....my bday is 30 Jan. :grin: I rather TU as scheduled to avoid any issues. If I'm breezing it and doing great, I will push it back a week and go week to week until my hair tells me it's time. Any bday plans? TY for the compliment. :yep:

Rozlewis

divachyk, Merry Christmas! Yeah, I hear ya. Listening to your hair and knowing what it needs is key. I am going to do the same thing as far as playing it by ear. My desire is to go the full 12 weeks but as you stated I will go by the needs of my hair.

No big birthday plans yet. I will probably spend time with my husband and kids. How about you?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
divachyk, Merry Christmas! Yeah, I hear ya. Listening to your hair and knowing what it needs is key. I am going to do the same thing as far as playing it by ear. My desire is to go the full 12 weeks but as you stated I will go by the needs of my hair.

No big birthday plans yet. I will probably spend time with my husband and kids. How about you?

No big birthday plans over this way either. Chill with dh, have dinner and that's about it. Rozlewis.

sharifeh

sunnieb

no i didnt get a chance :(
im shooting for thursday i cant wait , my hair is a rat's nest, i can't get a comb through it :nono:

your hair looks great!

sunnieb

Nix08 baddison hnntrr

How are you ladies enjoying having zero newgrowth? I love it, but it's kinda annoying at the same time. I stretch so long now that I get so used to dealing with all my newgrowth. It's a big adjustment to go back to not having any at all.

I tried a braidout for today, but I didn't really like the results. I'm thinking of bunning for a few days. I don't know.

How are ya'll wearing your newly straightened locks?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
sunnieb I know it takes some getting use to....I have been wearing a ponytail and whipping my hair:giggle: .... and every couple hours I redo the ponytail because I can:yep:

sunnieb

Nix08 - :lol: I'm wearing a ponytail right now! Every so often I feel the need to whip my head back and forth and let the pony slap the sides of my head! :lachen:

baddison

natural for good
@Nix08 @baddison @hnntrr

How are you ladies enjoying having zero newgrowth? I love it, but it's kinda annoying at the same time. I stretch so long now that I get so used to dealing with all my newgrowth. It's a big adjustment to go back to not having any at all.

I tried a braidout for today, but I didn't really like the results. I'm thinking of bunning for a few days. I don't know.

sunnieb - Yeah, one of the only drawbacks with the newly relaxed is that "wet cat" look...lol!! Today, I did a cowash, and then back in a bun. I get a fuller head when I just airdry in a bun. I'm generally lazy around the holidays anyway. :rofl: :rofl:

irisak

Okay chick, let's talk this thing through!! You know when it comes to touch-ups at the 10-12 week mark, I'm "trigger happy" :lachen:!! You are the "Queen Stretcher" of the two of us, you're just in a style crunch. I just ordered me a cute human hair shorty 'do that I hope comes in by Saturday, because I'm going to use it to extend my stretch. Okay irisak, back away from the relaxer for a minute and let's talk stretch style options: rollersets or rod sets, a high bun with chop sticks, an upside down french braid with a bun on top, you can do a long, side classy phony pony, a new wig (half or full). You can do cornrows in the front and curls in the back.

I am no longer a braid person. My hair has always been thick and I've always sat for about 9 hours and after the last time I got micros, I swore torturing myself ever again. I'm jealous that your hair is in a "killer growth" phase, that's wonderful chick! You're going to BSL by your next length check. :yep: As for your sew-ins that last 4 weeks, that's awesome! I know its a lot of work, but you get to really baby your hair but doing it once a month, that's great. I would do it, but I don't like sew-ins either. Wigs seem to be the only fake hair I can tolerate.

When all else fails, before you relax YOUTUBE, YOUTUBE, AND MORE YOUTUBE to find a stretch style you haven't tried yet. You got this girl, its worth it, hang in there!!

KaramelDiva1978 thanks girl. I backed away from the relaxer lol. I took my braid out because I figured I was doing more harm than good. I washed and dced last night and my hair was a tangly mess. Turns out I needed to spend time with my baby daddy. ...aphogee two step. This will hold me over until the weekend and then I'll either do another sew in or flat iron. I'm glad I didn't relax because my hair couldn't have handled the chemicals with the levels of protein depletion I had going on.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
KaramelDiva1978 I need you to talk me off the ledge buddy. I've made it twelve weeks and want to stretch to my birthday in march but at the same time I haven't found a good style to stretch with. I have tree braids in but after two weeks they are hanging from my head. It's not the braiders fault but my hair seems to want to keep growing like it's still summer. I could always take them out soon but then I'd just be back in my ponytail and it's too damn cold for daily cowashing. I'm tired of sew ins and think I just needed to rant for a minute. I get mad when I realize I wasted so much money on a style my hair won't hold for more then 4 weeks. I just don't know what to do with this wig of mine. And I don't feel like my hair will be hot on new years eve if I don't do a tu. Ok rant over. Woosai lol.

Gurrrrrrrl...I just finished a similar rant myself. I'm 22 1/2 weeks into my first ever 6-month stretch and you know I'm looking pretty raggedy bout now. I had to have a couple of the ladies talk me off the tu ledge just the other day and I'm back to earth now. Got 3 1/2 weeks to go and I'm headed to the shower right now to cowash with Wen and get back to my Twistout. Back away from the jar...you can do it!

hnntrr

Nix08 baddison hnntrr

It's weird. I had new growth for a long time and got used to having new growth and having to go through all these steps. Now its like steps 3-5 are eliminated and everything just goes way faster. So yeah I can see the annoying part.

But the past few days I tried bantu knots and my ends were super dry so I gotta try some stuff to do some extra moisturizing when I wear it curly. And its been shedding again so I plan on doing a tea/coffee rinse sometime soon. The henna did help a little bit but not as much as Id like.

I wore it in a bun yesterday when we ran to the store but,
But its been wrapped up the the last day cause I have been at home and had no real reason to take it down.

missbugg21

Hey guys...

I just wanted to take a minute to say goodbye to this thread. I am officially transitioning (for the 3rd time...lol). I appreciate all of the fantastic information and support you guys provide here.

Wish me luck on my natural hair journey...

Best,
S

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Hey guys...

I just wanted to take a minute to say goodbye to this thread. I am officially transitioning (for the 3rd time...lol). I appreciate all of the fantastic information and support you guys provide here.

Wish me luck on my natural hair journey...

Best,
S

Good luck on your HHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.