2014 Challenge- CoWash, CoCleanse, Mud Wash, Honey Cleanse, & Others

Ogoma

*Copied and modified from the 2013 CoWashing Challenge*

Okay Ladies, let's keep it up in 2014 with our Co-Washing, Co-Cleansing, Mud Washing, Honey Cleansing or any other alternative form of cleaning our hair and scalp while retaining maximum moisture! We're going for maximum length retention, lush, thick ends and healthy, moisturized tresses!!!

This Challenge will run all year long. Ideally, you will post updates whenever you partake in any of the above activities. But, at the minimum weekly and/or monthly updates to keep this thread active.

This challenge is to motivate and encourage each other to get that maximum moisture and meet our goals. It will also help us learn different techniques and methodology and what seems to work best for different types of hair.

With that, let us achieve those goals!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:dance7::dance7:

This challenge starts today and ends December 31, 2014.

RULES:
Co-Wash/Co-Cleanse/Mud Wash/Honey Cleanse/other at the minimum 1x/wkly. More if you'd like! You don't have to do all of them, just choose the one(s) that suit you.

Report what products or ingredients you are using and how your hair is responding. Post the ups and the downs as we learn from it all.

MUST ANSWER THE FOLLOWING 10 QUESTIONS
1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.):
2) Current hair length:
3) Ultimate hair length:
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc):
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture:
6) Number of times per week you will do this:
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using:
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc):
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use:
10) List shampoo:

You join by answering the questions above. If your name is not on the list @ me and I will include you. If you want off the list, please do the same.

Feel free to ask questions, share videos, recommend products and discuss all other things helpful !

Ogoma

1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.): Natural
2) Current hair length: BSB
3) Ultimate hair length: WHip
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): Almost WL, Healthy Ends
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: Co-Cleanse and Co-Wash
6) Number of times per week you will do this: At least 2x a week.
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: Ouidad Curl CoWash, my Co-Cleansing Mix, TJ TTT, Oyin Honey Hemp, Desert Essence Coconut & Red Italian Grape Conditioners, Tresemme Naturals, and others I will try from time to time.
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): Oil rinsing after each session, ayurvedic treatments 1x a month, conditioning after co-cleansing
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: 1x a month or every other month
10) List shampoo: Lush Fair Trade Honey Shampoo

TraciChanel

Hi! Here are my answers below... 1) State of hair: natural 2) Current hair length: MBL 3) Ultimate hair length: WHIP 4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): WHIP 2014! 5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: co-washing 6) Number of times per week you will do this: 1x week in the winter, 5 days a week when it gets warmer 7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: VO5, Suave, TJ Nourish Spa 8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after: DC 9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: once a month 10) List shampoo: CON

AgeinATL

This is right up my alley because I am a HUGE cowasher...Count me in!

1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.): transitioning
2) Current hair length: grazing WL
3) Ultimate hair length: WHIP length stretched
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): Full MBL/grazing WL as I continue to trim away my growth during my transition. Minimize breakage as much as I can.
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: Cowashing
6) Number of times per week you will do this: 2
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: Shea Moisture Purification Mask or Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): I always DC afterwards
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: Every 6 weeks
10) List shampoo: ORS Creamy Aloe

MzPrince

2) Current hair length: Shoulder Length
3) Ultimate hair length: No goal at the moment.
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): Thicken, Healthy Ends
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: Once a month Deep conditioning and Co-Wash
6) Number of times per week you will do this: 2x a week.
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: Wen con-cleanse and for deep con Wen condtioner mask or Pantene relax/natural conditioner.
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): leave-in con and sealing
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: 1x a month clarify and conditioning shampoo
10) List shampoo: Design Essentials/ Kenra clarify shampoo

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
2) Current hair length: SLish
3) Ultimate hair length: APL by December 2014
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): retention
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: Cowash either in shower or kitchen sink
6) Number of times per week you will do this: at least twice maybe more
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: Wen, HH sticky honey hash con, Giovanni botanical or Giovanni 50:50, VO5, just recently ordered KeraVada cowash to try out, etc
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): Prepooing with coconut oil, KeraVada oil, or HQ oil
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: once per week or biweekly depending on how my hair feels
10) List shampoo: Ummm whatever I have on hand usually HQ clarifying poo, HQ moisturizing poo or I just recently been using NJoys Cowash but it's really like a cleansing mud wash

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.):
Relaxed
2) Current hair length:
MBL-ish
3) Ultimate hair length:
WL/HL
WL
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture:
Co-wash
Tea/coffee/coconut milk/oil rinse and AOHSR and sometimes AORM
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc):
Dry DC twice a week. Ayurvedic oiling 2-3 times a week. Overnight DC once a week.
As needed
10) List shampoo:
Elucence Volumizing or AORM shampoo

naturalagain2

2) Current hair length:BSB
3) Ultimate hair length:MBL
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc):Length and softness
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture:Co Cleanse, Cowash and I plan on experimenting with mud washes
6) Number of times per week you will do this: 1 - 2 wk
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: Co-Cleanse w/ WEN or V05, when I run out of WEN I want to try CJ Daily Fix Cleansing conditioner and I want to make my own mud wash
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): DC after, Oil rinse, & Final rinse with my teas mixed w/ AVJ or ACV
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: Once a month
10) List shampoo: NuEnz Organic Shampoo or Kenra Clarifying Chelating Shampoo

Last edited:

SoopremeBeing

2) Current hair length: CBL
3) Ultimate hair length: at least BSL, once I get there, then MBL
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): Length, trimming of the ends, and keeping my hair soft
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: Deep conditioning and mask treatments
6) Number of times per week you will do this: At least once a week.
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: JBCO, Coconut Oil, and I cannot remember the name, but a hydrating mask treatment.
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner, I will continue to use this daily. Won't be using Cantu Shea Butter anymore, great for detangling, but it attracts build-up. I will add hot oil treatments to my regi.
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: I will try to keep it at once a month.
10) List shampoo: SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo

faithVA

1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.): natural

2) Current hair length: NL

3) Ultimate hair length: MBL

SL
recovered crown
healthy ends; no splits, normal breakage
increased moisture

I plan to mudwash and cowash.

Will mudwash 1x a week and cowash 1x a week.
If I need to shampoo I will still apply the mudwash to my scalp.

Still experimenting. I plan to use some teas but still working on the blend (marshmallow, burdock root, slippery elm

Also plan to use vegemoist and marshmallow balm from IngredientsToDieFor

My prepoo varies. It just depends. Sometimes I do a hot oil treatment. Sometimes, I just oil my scalp. Sometimes I rinse and do a protein treatment before I wash.

After a mudwash I do a protein treatment on alternate weeks and I do a DC weekly.

On an as needed basis. If my hair feels like it needs it I will use it. But I can do much of what I need with the mudwash and AIA Cleansing Pudding.

10) List shampoo:

4 Naturals Extra Moist Detangling Shampoo
Samples of stuff unknown.

LovinLea

2) Current hair length: BC, less than EL
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): retain moisture and length, 6 inches of growth
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: cowashing with cheapie conditioners
6) Number of times per week you will do this: daily
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: Finesse conditioner right now, it's cheap but it feels good. I picked it up since it has silk powder and hydrolyzed soy protein... (any reccs?)
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): DCing 2x week
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: 1x per month
10) List shampoo: Nexxus Therappe (it's laying around)

please critique if necessary

Ogoma

What is a honey cleanse?

I was just about to ask this! :)

@Nix08

@Nix08 sunnieb

I read about it here:

http://empoweredsustenance.com/diy-honey-shampoo/

After a while she felt it weighed down her hair, but her hair is straight so I thought I will give it a try sometime when I am not working out as much.

DIY Honey Shampoo

May 27, 2013 by Lauren G 399 Comments

Easy Honey Hair Care

If you had told me last year that my shelf of hair care products would be reduced to a homemade honey shampoo, I would not have believed you. Shampoo, conditioner, conditioning mask and painfully pricey anti-frizz serum… how could humble honey replace all of that?

Let me start at the beginning. This past year, I’ve been on a crazy hippie journey to eliminate toxic products from my life. Now, I’m excited to say that all of my body care items are homemade and non toxic. This includes: toothpaste, deodorant, body moisturizer (a blend of coconut oil, emu oil and essential oils), facial oil, and facial toner. I tried numerous types of DIY shampoos, including the no ‘poo method, but I was never happy. They irritated my scalp or dried out my hair. As a matter of fact, the no ‘poo method (baking soda + vinegar hair care) actually damages hair!

Why Wash Hair with Honey Shampoo

I’ve been washing my hair with this DIY honey shampoo for the past month and I LOVE the results! First, my embarrassing and persistent dandruff is clearing up. My hair is soft, shiny and it has become even more curly/wavy than usual. Finally, it is significantly less frizzy and I have no need to use an anti-frizz product. My scalp’s oil production has normalized and I can go 4 days between hair washing.

• The pH of the scalp is between 4 and 7, and the pH of honey is about 4. The slightly acidic nature of the honey balances the scalp and fights dandruff
  • Raw honey is naturally antibacterial and antifungal, so honey washing can help treat a bacterial/fungal issues on the scalp
  • Honey won’t strip the scalp and hair of the protective oils. As a result, hair will be less oily over time because the scalp will stop over-comensating with oil production (which happens when shampoos strip the scalp of all oils)
  • Honey moisturizes the hair, and, since it doesn’t strip the hair of natural oils, hair will be softer with less frizz
  • You will be able to go longer and longer between washings as your scalps oil production normalizes. Now, I only need to wash my hair every 4 days (and I’ve even gone a week between washing)!
  • Honey washing is easy and fast!
DIY Honey Shampoo

• Use only raw honey. Regular honey is processed with damaging levels of heat and is actually cut with corn syrup. I recommend making it on a “single serving” basis, so just mix up a little bowl of the shampoo before you plan to use it. Here’s the basic ratio, but you can adjust it as desired: 1 Tbs. raw honey and 3 Tbs. filtered water. If necessary, slightly heat the mixture over very low heat to help dissolve the honey. Yes, this is really watery… that is how it is supposed to be.

• If desired, add a few drops of essential oil. To the mixture above, I add about 2 drops of lavender essential oil, 2 drops of rosemary oil, and 2 drops of carrot seed oil. The essential oils add a light fragrance and also help with any flaky scalp issues. The carrot seed oil, especially, is very nourishing to the hair.

• Wet hair, then massage a few tablespoons of the honey shampoo on the scalp. Massage well to distribute over the scalp. Don’t worry about getting the mixture on the ends of the hair, just the scalp area. Rinse well. No need to follow with any conditioner.
How to store the honey shampoo

UPDATE: I had one reader tell me her shampoo grew mold after one week. I have not had this happen to me, but I don’t want anyone else to have this experience. That is why I have updated the post suggesting that you make it as you need it. It’s super quick to mix together right before you wash your hair.

Dun dun dun… The Transition Period

Nobody likes the term “transition period” but I have to mention it. When you switch from any type of sudsing shampoo (which is very stripping and drying to hair) to honey washing, your hair will probably be oily and dull after the first couple times of honey washing. It may even take a month or two for your scalp oil production to normalize when you switch from regular shampoo to honey washing. So for the first week, you may need to honey wash every day. Then you will find you can go every other day, then every second day, etc.

youwillrise

dude...honey cleanse? havent heard of that one. hmmmm ((rubs chin))

2) Current hair length: about 5 inches
3) Ultimate hair length: reaching my waist
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): continued moisture, strength, hopefully by end of 2014 I will be back where i was (or more?) before i cut my hair in august 2013 - past armpit (maybe 2 inches or so to bra)
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: condition washing.
6) Number of times per week you will do this: in twists - 2 times a week. loose hair - 5 times a week.
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: suave almond and shea butter conditioner, vo5 conditioners, whatever other conditioners i want.
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): usually a hot oil treatment before condition washing
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: once every other week
10) List shampoo: currently, suave almond and shea butter shampoo

Last edited:

Rozlewis

1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.): Relaxed
2) Current hair length: Grazing APL
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): BSL
6) Number of times per week you will do this: Once per week
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: WEN 613, KERA10, Naturelle Grow, Hairveda 24/7
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): DC, Pre-Poo, Protein Treatment
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: Once per week
10) List shampoo: KeraCare Detangling Shampoo

Ann0804

2) Current hair length: APL
3) Ultimate hair length: Waist length
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): healthy BSL
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: cowashing
6) Number of times per week you will do this: 1 maybe 2
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: Wen 613, wen watermelon, Darcy's pumpkin seed
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): I will DC before cowashing, then oil rinse after co washing.
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: Never
10) List shampoo: I hate regular shampoo, I will just add some rhoussal clay to my DC 1-2 times a month for a deeper cleaning.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Thanks for starting this Ogoma~

I'm in waaaay too many challenges for 2014, but considering I already cowash 2x a week, this is hardly a 'challenge' right? :look:

2) Current hair length: Grazing SL
3) Ultimate hair length: APL
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): CBL
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: Cowashing
6) Number of times per week you will do this: 2+ (less if flat iron that week)
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: V05, Shea Moisture Restorative Condish
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): Occasional pre-poo with various oils and Ayurvedic oils
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: Depends on style and products used, but average every 2-4 weeks
10) List shampoo: Aubrey Organics Swimmers Shampoo

EnExitStageLeft

Saving my spot. Be back with details
Add me to the list please Ogoma
1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.): Transitioning

2) Current hair length:MBL

3) Ultimate hair length:WL while Transitioning/W/hip Natural (Straighten), APL(In it's natural State)

4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): WL, Still High Density, Smooth from root to tip, Blunt U Cut

5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: Co-Cleansing and Cowashing

6) Number of times per week you will do this: Once or Twice a week (Depending on the season)

7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: ALOT! :yep:

8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc):Prepooing Before, Tea Rinse and DC Afterwards, ACV post DC Session

9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: Once or twice a month

10) List shampoo:Silk Dreams Go Moist Shampoo, Creme Of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo, Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo(To Clarify and Chelate)

Last edited:

cutenss

I want to join too please Ogoma :)

2) Current hair length: SBL (Shoulder Blade Length)

3) Ultimate hair length: full MBL

4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): I would really prefer some thickness over length

5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: I will be using cleansing conditioners, such as WEN. I will also be using my Mud Puddles.

6) Number of times per week you will do this: twice

7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: I will be using whatever I have on-hand

8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): I will be pre-pooing with coconut oil, or my KeraVeda oils.

9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: I clarify once a month.

10) List shampoo: Elucence Clarifying Volume Shampoo, and my Ouidad Cleansing Oil