2014 Challenge- CoWash, CoCleanse, Mud Wash, Honey Cleanse, & Others

cutenss

I am using the SM Purification Mask as a pre-poo/co-wash. Then I will DC with CD Monoi Repairing Hair Mask.

Ogoma

@Ogoma How is ouidad curl co/co wash? I've been eying it for a while.

Happy Hair Growing!

Lita I like it. It gets my scalp and hair clean, and when I follow the instructions and leave it for a few minutes my hair feels soft. It doesn't have enough slip for me to detangle with, but I can separate my hair easily and it foams a little.

I am hoping to mimic the results by mixing up some products and ingredients on my own.

faithVA

I will only be applying mud to my scalp. I think it is drying out my ends.

I cowashed yesterday with L'Oreal Moisture Mask.

I need to get back on a cowash schedule. I can't believe last year I cowashed 2 times a week. I need to see if I can at least cowash 1x a week to up my moisture.

sisters248

Ogoma
1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.): Relaxed
2) Current hair length: The bottom half of my hair is armpit but the front of my hair is collar bone.
3) Ultimate hair length: Bra Strap!
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): Thicker ends, manageability, moisture, shine, and I want to be full armpit length by next December! Wish me luck ♥
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: Cowash at least twice a week and shampoo my hair every two weeks. I also plan on bagging my hair.
6) Number of times per week you will do this: Twice a week.
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: Suave Naturals. I am doing more research on other conditioners I can use to cowash with but so far my hair absolutely love Suave Naturals.
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): Detangle before I cowash, after I have rinsed my hair, and after I put my leave in to air dry my hair. I know that it is a lot but by doing this, I have had less breakage and great manageability with my hair. If not, my hair knots up! :nono:
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: I will shampoo my hair with Loreal sulfate free shampoo every two weeks and will use a clarifying shampoo every 6 weeks.
10) List shampoo: L'Oreal sulfate free shampoo, I plan on trying Shea moisture retention shampoo today and Aussie moist

Attachments

• pizap.com13865047737591.jpg
    pizap.com13865047737591.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

alanaturelle

I cowashed this morning with VO5 kiwi lime squeeze clarifying conditioner. I'm not sure how I like that one. It was my first time trying it and I'm on the fence about it. It made my hair feel a little bit crunchy. I'll give it another try on Thursday.

Pennefeather

Is there any reason why everyone seems to co-wash several times a week? I usually wash once a week, and am going to switch to every two weeks to avoid damage from underprocessing . I'm just wondering if co-washing is used is you want to wash your hair more often.

Babygrowth

Is there any reason why everyone seems to co-wash several times a week? I usually wash once a week, and am going to switch to every two weeks to avoid damage from underprocessing . I'm just wondering if co-washing is used is you want to wash your hair more often.

Cowashing helps make my hair more manageable and increases softness and moisture retention. Especially deep in a relaxer stretch with multiple textures!

Pennefeather

Cowashing helps make my hair more manageable and increases softness and moisture retention. Especially deep in a relaxer stretch with multiple textures!

Thanks for clarifying. I always thought I should wash my hair less often when stretching, so that I wouldn't have to handle detangling as much.

faithVA

I oiled my scalp and did a dry DC while doing yoga. I don't know why I didn't mist it with water. By the time I was ready to cowash the conditioner had dried on my hair. :nono: So I rinsed out the DC and cowashed with Deva Curl. It wasn't the best cowash experience. :ohwell:

Then I did LOC with CC Naturals, hazelnut oil, Bask Tapioca and sealed my ends with castor oil. I twisted with TW Lock it up and my hair was dry this morning.

I want to get in the habit of rinsing my hair and applying my cowash conditioner before I do yoga and rinse it out after. After Christmas I want to cowash every 3 to 4 days. I hope I can get a rhythm.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Cowashed with KeraVada Kera 10 cowash. It was just okay for me. Not much moisture for me.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Babygrowth

Doing a deep cowash with tea and Biolage Matrix conditioning balm. May follow up with SSI avocado depending on how my hair feels.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Co washed this morning with V05 kiwi. Then a 2 min condish with AO IN

lovelycurls

MUST ANSWER THE FOLLOWING 10 QUESTIONS
1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.): NATURAL
2) Current hair length: BSL
3) Ultimate hair length: MBL
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): LENGTH, HEALTHY ENDS, GENERAL HEALTHY HAIR
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: MUD WASH, COWASH, DEEP MASK TREATMENT, HENNA TREATMENT
6) Number of times per week you will do this: EVERY OTHER WEEK OR 1CE A WEEK
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: RANDOM OILS, HENNA POWDERS, EVCO, TEAS, ANY AVAILABLE CONDITIONER
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): AYURVEDIC, TEA RINSING, DEEP CONDITIONING, PROTEIN TREATMENT
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: 1CE A MONTH OR 1CE EVERY OTHER MONTH
10) List shampoo: SHEA MOISTURE POOS, ELUCENCE MOISTURE, TJTT

Lita

Lita I like it. It gets my scalp and hair clean, and when I follow the instructions and leave it for a few minutes my hair feels soft. It doesn't have enough slip for me to detangle with, but I can separate my hair easily and it foams a little.

I am hoping to mimic the results by mixing up some products and ingredients on my own.

Ogoma Thanks for the review...I'll pass,unless they have a great sale..

Happy Hair Growing!

Lita

I'm going to do a comparison between Kera 10 & SSI Blueberry co/wash..

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

tuffCOOKiE

Ogoma I really want to do this challenge but I really can't find a cost effective cleanser that's good for my scalp. I'm finishing up my Terresentials - it moisturizes my hair but not my scalp. May I'll try a honey cleanse.

Ogoma

tuffCOOKiE

I assume you want to find something other than shampoo (sulfate-free or otherwise)?

Have you tried mixing your own bentonite clay cleanser? Or using ACV? Or a mild shampoo just on your scalp? I was just reading something on centrimonium chloride being able to remove silicones, which makes me wonder if it would not be effective in cleansing the scalp as well.

faithVA

I cowashed with DevaCurl One last night. I water rinsed my hair well and then applied the Deva Curl One and worked it in. I put on a plastic cap and did my yoga and 4 minutes of inversion. Then i rinsed and styled. This is the routine I want to get into.

Last time I tried to DC first and cowash. That didn't work so well. That saves me a step.

tuffCOOKiE

tuffCOOKiE

I assume you want to find something other than shampoo (sulfate-free or otherwise)?

Have you tried mixing your own bentonite clay cleanser? Or using ACV? Or a mild shampoo just on your scalp? I was just reading something on centrimonium chloride being able to remove silicones, which makes me wonder if it would not be effective in cleansing the scalp as well.

After the Terresentials mud wash, I'm not confident that I can formulate my own.

ACV tangles my hair unfortunately.

The mild shampoo I'm thinking of trying is the centre of nature argan oil shampoo.

Thanks for the tip

faithVA

[USER=6326 said:
tuffCOOKiE[/USER];19371499]After the Terresentials mud wash, I'm not confident that I can formulate my own.

ACV tangles my hair unfortunately.

The mild shampoo I'm thinking of trying is the centre of nature argan oil shampoo.

Thanks for the tip

Nap85 and Roots4U (I think that is her name) both have mudwash recipes. Just replace the essential oils with oils you already have and you are good to go.