2014 Steaming in the Moisture

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Will Steam in:
Shea Terra Organics Banana & Mongongo Hair Treatment (I love this stuff) Will be 1st time Steaming.

Will Steam the Shea Terra for about 20 minutes and will follow up with:

Karens Body Beautiful over Marshmallow Root Tea with Darcy's Cherry Kernel Oil Sprayed on top

cynd

It's starting to do better IDareT'sHair. I'm finally starting to see some growth but I'm still thickness challenged (genetically and otherwise) so I'm really trying to focus on that for now. How are things going for you?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@cynd

That's good news. Keep focusing on Health and the Length will come.:yep:

Things going good. Playing in Products and Striving for Progress. (thanks for asking):hug2:

Last edited:

NICOLETHENUMBERONE

Dry steaming for 30 minutes with coconut oil before I wash my hair.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

How do you dry steam? I want to try steaming but I was looking for a low priced steamer? Is steaming better than just putting conditioner on your hair and sitting under a dryer?

Can someone answer the questions above? Thank you so much...I really appreciate it!

Joigirl

I steamed for the first time and applied the APB Blueberry Cheesecake DC. The steamer took the conditioner to another level. My hair has not been this moisturized in a long time.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
How do you dry steam? I want to try steaming but I was looking for a low priced steamer? Is steaming better than just putting conditioner on your hair and sitting under a dryer? Can someone answer the questions above? Thank you so much...I really appreciate it!
I dry steam by putting oil on dry hair.

IMO a steamer is one of the best investments you'll ever make. I haven't sat under a dryer in years bc of my steamer. IDareT'sHair does a really good job of answering this question.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
NICOLETHENUMBERONE

In my opinion, Steaming works better than DC'ing under the dryer or just applying & with a Plastic Cap.

Steaming allows the cuticle to open and deeper moisture penetration.

It takes your average or not so great DC'ers to another level and makes your Great DC'er "greater".

Personally, I would wait until I could invest in the Pro-Series 1037A. ($129-$139)

You want to make sure you get one that you won't have to replace in a year or so.

It is the most important "Hair Tool" I own. It's extremely important in my overall Regimen.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
IDareT'sHair
I knew you would do well with that question :yep:. Thanks!

The Irish & Moss was a hit from day 1. I've been having so much luck with products lately. I'm gonna write a more detailed review in the hits & misses thread.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Think I will steam for 15 mins today with APB ayurvedic cream on my celies and GreenPowerhouse oil on my scalp :lick:

ETA: ok, as usual I changed my mind last minute. Since doing that henna 2 weekends ago, my hair has been a bit dryer than usual. So I decided to spritz my celies with warm water, applied APB UltraConditioning Souffle and topped it with APB's ayurvedic oil. I applied her GreenPowerhouse and Hibiscus & Fenugreek oils to my scalp. I am now under the steamer for 20 mins.

I plan to then rinse in the shower under warm water. Let my celies air dry about 50% then apply the LI, ayurvedic cream and oils to my braids.

Last edited:

NICOLETHENUMBERONE

I dry steam by putting oil on dry hair.

IMO a steamer is one of the best investments you'll ever make. I haven't sat under a dryer in years bc of my steamer. @IDareT'sHair does a really good job of answering this question.

Thank you so much for your response. I really didn't know there was a difference until I saw this thread. Now, I just have to find a good deep conditioner...off to search the forum threads. I was thinking I could condition twice per week because I read somewhere that conditioner only stays coated on the hair for about four days.

Do you alternate between dry steam and then doing a deep conditioner?
If so, which do you think helps the condition of your hair more? What is your hair texture and what type of oil do you use? I'm 4a.
Sorry for all the questions.:look:

@NICOLETHENUMBERONE

In my opinion, Steaming works better than DC'ing under the dryer or just applying & with a Plastic Cap.

Steaming allows the cuticle to open and deeper moisture penetration.

It takes your average or not so great DC'ers to another level and makes your Great DC'er "greater".

Personally, I would wait until I could invest in the Pro-Series 1037A. ($129-$139)

You want to make sure you get one that you won't have to replace in a year or so.

It is the most important "Hair Tool" I own. It's extremely important in my overall Regimen.

Oh, that isn't a lot of money. I thought it was going to be a few hundred dollars. The price you mentioned seems do-able. I know a few years ago a lot of people used to talk about the Pibbs dryer but I'm going to look into getting this hair steamer.
Thank you so much...I appreciate it.

I think I am going to faithfully condition once I get the steamer for about three months. And then get a hair analysis test. So, I will take some strands prior to deep conditioning and then get the test after deep conditioning with the steamer. :yep:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Thank you so much for your response. I really didn't know there was a difference until I saw this thread. Now, I just have to find a good deep conditioner...off to search the forum threads. I was thinking I could condition twice per week because I read somewhere that conditioner only stays coated on the hair for about four days. Do you alternate between dry steam and then doing a deep conditioner? If so, which do you think helps the condition of your hair more? What is your hair texture and what type of oil do you use? I'm 4a. Sorry for all the questions.:look:

I dry steam with oil then top with a deep conditioner and steam again. I've also alternated and started with a deep conditioner followed by oil. But 99.9% of the time I start with the oil first. I am thinking about switching the order to see if I can make this even more beneficial for my hair. I think they both help equally with the condition of my hair but if I had to pick one over another I would pick the deep conditioner.

I'm 4a too.

Oils, right now I'm exclusively using Keravada and Annabelle's Perfect Blends oils.

KeraVada- Fenugreek, Coffee
APB-Hibiscus & Fenugreek, Green Powerhouse

I also plan to get sunflower oil and possibly some Vatika Frosting (Hairveda)

cynd

Does anyone steam daily? I'm thinking of doing a quick, 5-10 min, steam daily (or every other day) to help my oils penetrate.

Alta Angel

Just steamed with my standard Elucence MB, aloe vera, castor and olive oil for 30 minutes. I have been slacking, so I need to steam 3xs per week for the next two weeks...

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Does anyone steam daily? I'm thinking of doing a quick, 5-10 min, steam daily (or every other day) to help my oils penetrate.

No I feel like it's too much work for me. I've been working on shortening my routine and dealing with my hair less. If I try to do too much I start slowly neglecting my hair.

Rozlewis

Steaming right now with Claudie's Normalizing DC, Porosity Control, Sunflower oil, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary Oil.