2014 Steaming in the Moisture

Funmiloves

I didn't get a mention on my phone! But thanks for starting the challenge Rozlewis

1. How often you will steam? Weekly
2. What method are you using to steam? Still turban and plastic cap
3. What products will you steam with? I don't have a 'go to' steam product, but I'll be adding olive oil or coconut oil to what ever I use.

cherry.a

1. How often you will steam? 1-2 times a week

2. What method are you using to steam? Hooded steamer

3. What products will you steam with? Conditioner & oils

Diva_Esq

1. How often you will steam? Shooting for weekly
2. What method are you using to steam? Using my new Huetiful I got during their Memorial Day sale tbT is still in the box! :( Shame on busy me...
3. What products will you steam with? Deep conditioners, oils, light protein.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Steamed with HQS Honey Pineapple Hibiscus Mask. :love: If my hair wasn't cornrowed I'm sure it would be falling into neat little clumps. :)

Alta Angel

I'm in! My goal is to steam once per week for at least 45 minutes with Moisture Balance conditioner and one quick 15 minute steam with a leave-in (Design Essentials Natural Hair Leave In, Kimmaytube Leave-In, etc.).

ellebelle88

Can someone recommend some cheap but effective steamers? I would like to do this but don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a product that will end up collecting dust.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
The Huetiful steamer if you can catch it on sale. Or the Product Exchange on here (LHCF) :look:
The Laila Ali tabletop hood dryer and a plastic grocery bag with some liquid sprayed inside. :look:
Lol

HTH!

Can someone recommend some cheap but effective steamers? I would like to do this but don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a product that will end up collecting dust.

ellebelle88

The Huetiful steamer if you can catch it on sale. Or the Product Exchange on here (LHCF) :look:
The Laila Ali tabletop hood dryer and a plastic grocery bag with some liquid sprayed inside. :look:
Lol

HTH!
Thank you, but those are still way too expensive for my taste. Are steam caps just as effective???

blondemane

1. How often you will steam? I plan to steam 1x/week. Every two weeks will be a DC with a wash and the week in-between will be a "dry steam" with leave in conditioner and oil
2. What method are you using to steam? My stand up steamer from LCL
3. What products will you steam with? John Masters Leave In Detangler/Conditioner, avocado oil, aubrey organics conditioners (GBP and honeysuckle rose)

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
What's your price range? I could give better suggestions if I knew.

I would say steam caps *can* be just as effective.

For the shoestring haircare budget, I say a couple plastic grocery bags and as many winter hats (beanies, skull caps, thick scarves) as you can stand to pile on top is just fine. TBH, in a super lazy mood, I have done this with 2-3 woolen hats and fallen asleep. The warmth on my head usually wakes me up, I'll take one or two hats off, go back to sleep, and rinse out in the morning. I'm sure you wouldn't need to leave your treatment on overnight like I do to get the full effect (like I said, pure laziness on my behalf), but the warmer you can get your head (while remaining comfortable), the better. You could even wrap some aluminum foil on top of the plastic grocery bag (or buy the foil processing caps to put over the plastic to be fancy).

I only have a steamer *and* standing dryer to be fancy; and for those less lazy more convenient days.

HTH! :)

Thank you, but those are still way too expensive for my taste. Are steam caps just as effective???

nmartin20

The Huetiful steamer if you can catch it on sale. Or the Product Exchange on here (LHCF) :look: The Laila Ali tabletop hood dryer and a plastic grocery bag with some liquid sprayed inside. :look: Lol HTH!

It's on sale now until the Dec 24th. It's $89 I think.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Do you ladies get better results from steaming before or after washing? I just got a Secura steamer and I'm itching to try it out but this will be my first time steaming.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
For me, it depends on how often I steam and cleanse.

When I first started steaming, I would only do so once or twice a month. And I would always do it after washing my hair. I think this worked better because my hair was stripped of all the previous junk and my DC absorbed best because nothing was interfering with that process.

Now that I prefer not to hop in and out of the shower (or under the sink), I cleanse my hair more often, and I steam at least weekly, I find the effectiveness of my DCs to be about the same as before even though I often steam before cleansing now.

HTH!

Do you ladies get better results from steaming before or after washing? I just got a Secura steamer and I'm itching to try it out but this will be my first time steaming.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
For me, it depends on how often I steam and cleanse.

When I first started steaming, I would only do so once or twice a month. And I would always do it after washing my hair. I think this worked better because my hair was stripped of all the previous junk and my DC absorbed best because nothing was interfering with that process.

Now that I prefer not to hop in and out of the shower (or under the sink), I cleanse my hair more often, and I steam at least weekly, I find the effectiveness of my DCs to be about the same as before even though I often steam before cleansing now.

HTH!

I steamed before washing yesterday because like you, I didn't want to hop in and out the shower. My hair felt nice!

SugarRush

Steamed with LeKair cholesterol on dry hair, found an old jar while trying to reduce my stash. Don't even know where that came from. Never used it before but my hair actually felt moisturized after rinsing, maybe I'll use it again :look:

Last edited:

schely10

I'm in!!
I steam usually twice per week - once when I pre-poo (using coconut oil) & once on washday when I deep condition (using mixed chicks deep conditioner). I use a large hooded steamer that has wheels.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Rozlewis

I relaxed Friday. So, I need to build my hair back up. I'll see how it feels upon rinsing.

I thought Step 2 was the Moisture Component of the Process? Or at least a "Balancer"

Rozlewis

@Rozlewis

I relaxed Friday. So, I need to build my hair back up. I'll see how it feels upon rinsing.

I thought Step 2 was the Moisture Component of the Process? Or at least a "Balancer"

IDareT'sHair, let me know what you think after rinsing.

I was probably overly cautious but I considered the fact that I have had a hard time getting my moisture game on point this season. My hair is usually thick and thirsty so I went an extra step with the moisture but probably would have been OK without the extra moisture session.

I also look at Step 2 as a balancer after shocking the hair with so much protein.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Rozlewis

It felt really 'good' and silky upon rinsing, but I got scared and did a DB Pumpkin Rinse out afterwards.:lol:

I don't think it was necessary though. It felt really good.:yep:

Now, I'm trying to figure out if I'll try to use it twice a month? Especially since it's open.

Love Step 2.:grin: