2014 Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge

prettybyrd

Hey everyone! :hiya:

I have been braiding and twisting so regularly that I forgot that I was in this challenge. It's second nature now. :lol:

I hope to get my hair done this week, if I do, I will post updated pics here of my hair's progress. It's much longer and thicker. :)

Tibbar

So many ladies are doing so well, that's great to see! I'm still twisting most of the time. Just take them out, wash, condition, moisturize and re-do. I vary the sizes just to keep it interesting. I'm in for the rest of the year. Good luck everybody!

faithVA

I'm going to stick to flat twist for now. My 2 strands look ok for day 1 or 2 but then they shrink and won't lay flat :nono: I will just stick to flat twist until I can pull my twist back some kind of way.

faithVA

I'm debating on whether I'm going to leave these flat twist in for a second week. They usually never last that long but this week they still look decent. I will decide on Sunday.

Kim0105

I totally forgot about this and since I keep logging on using the app I miss out on mentions. Like faithVA I tend to flat twist as my hair isn't long enough for a bun or for me to wear my twists down. Hopefully I'll have more hang time in the new year.

faithVA

I decided I have to wash every week. My twists stay moisturized for 4 days but it really wants more water. Baggying does a little but not enough to prevent a wash. So Doing now and will out flat twist back in.

faithVA

I was able to flat twist my hair in an hour. That's a record. I may not dread wash day so much now.

charmtreese

I decided I have to wash every week. My twists stay moisturized for 4 days but it really wants more water. Baggying does a little but not enough to prevent a wash. So Doing now and will out flat twist back in.

This is my schedule as well. I would like to keep my twist in for at least two weeks, but it seems by the end of week one a wash is in order.

faithVA

This is my schedule as well. I would like to keep my twist in for at least two weeks, but it seems by the end of week one a wash is in order.

I am hoping if I continue with my regimen and baggying that over time I can extend it a day or two.

jesusislove1526

I'm still in for the last leg. It's like second nature now. I've mostly been wearing buns lately, but I will be installing twists this week. I'll post pictures when I'm done. I'm starting to miss my mini braids though...maybe I will do some to start out 2015 after my annual flat ironing..

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Hi ladies, is it too late to join this challenge? I recently decided to transition and have been wearing my hair in two flat twist, the style that connects in the back and looks like one long flat twist. Anyway, its been a breeze maintaining it every week and I'm sure I'm retaining well because of it so I want to continue twisting indefinitely or at least the remainder of the year. I guess I have to go back to the beginning and post my stats.

ETA:
1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? 2-strand flat twists.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? One a week I twist after I wash using cleansing conditioner. Because I have very fine, tangly hair I take down my twists after 3 days then M&S, finger detangle and retwist.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Currently transitioning back to natural.

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I hope to: 1. Retain moisture 2. Keep my ends healthy and on my head. 3. Retain length and thicken strands.

5. When and how will you restyle your hair? I'm not sure. I guess when I can come up with another easy twist, braid or bun style that stays put for a few days at a time.

6. Include Starting Pic. (You will not be an official challenger without one). I don't know how to include a picture from my phone app...all my recent ones are only on my phone. If someone can help show me how I'd be happy to.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
ForumRunner_20141014_074254.jpg
Here's my best starting pic of my hair somewhat down, I don't wear my hair straight anymore.

nmartin20

I gave my hair some love last night and placed my hair in medium size twists. I hope I'm able to keep them for at least two weeks. I used Belle Butters and Oyin Handmade's Burnt Sugar Pomade(oh how I've missed you).

Adiatasha

I need help.

I have 4b/c hair and I washed and blow dried my hair,

I used KCNT and KCCC and the did a flat twist in my entire head and bantu knotted the ends.

It came out beautiful .. Until I spent an hour outside

Did I not use enough product? Was it the type of products? Help me out family

darlingdiva

I need help.

I used KCNT and KCCC and the did a flat twist in my entire head and bantu knotted the ends.

What happened when you went outside? Did your hair become poofy?

If your hair became poofy, it may be due to your climate and the type of products. For me, yesterday was humid for a fair amount of the day. Plus, KCNT and KCCC have glycerin in them.

If you were in humidity yesterday, the glycerin may have caused the poof (if that's what happened).

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I need help.

Adiatasha

I am betting it was the humidity reacting with the agave in the kinky curly curling custard.

If it wasn't humid your hair may need products with a heavier hold (like a pomade) or a stronger hold (like hard hold gel). If you have a really tight texture like I do, I would hazard a guess at the former.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I have been wearing my hair in medium sized twists that i put in a bun.

This will be my go to for the winter and fall months. I have been consistently wearing mostly protective styles except for the weekends. However now I am going to live in them. They just make life easier and retention is pretty much guaranteed while protective styling.

On a side note I have returned to finger detangling. I am hoping I wont have to deal with mats down the line as long as I am thorough.

faithVA

I'm going to try to wear the same style for a month. I find I can put my hair up faster when I don't have to think about the style. This is the style I'm wearing for October and probably November :yep: I need some additional length in the back before I'm ready to switch up. I can do this style in 30 to 45 minutes which makes me happy.

FlatTwistP3 (640x609).jpg

bronxsoloist

I never check in but I'm definitely still keeping up with the challenge. Protective styling has definitely lead to ultimate retention I feel. It sucks keeping my hair up and out of the way but it's worth.
My hair is kept in 2 strand twists and covered for 22+ hours daily. Ends covered never down on my shoulders or clothes. Not aesthetically pleasing but I adopted pseudo Muslim ideology in regards to hair so I think of it as a spiritual growth along with my hair journey.
I'm hoping I keep this consistency through to next year. I've gone from SL to almost MBL so I I'm very proud of myself.
KISS is the way to go

toaster

I was going to get my hair straightened next week and today I realized I didn't feel like it. Now that I wear my twist outs I get the feeling of wearing my hair down and I don't have to micromanage a stylist or learn how to straighten my hair myself. I know I'm at or close to waist length so my hair is healthy and growing. I'll just keep it moving until I actually want straight hair. I'm realizing there's no need to straighten to "check for health".

While conditioning I did my usual 8 twists (which I'll turn into a twist out after I rinse and apply my leave ins) and trimmed the bottom portions that looked scraggly. After about a year since my last trim I only needed to get rid of .5-.75 of an inch all around. I'm pretty pleased.

I will be buying some pure Shea butter to deal with this winter and nothing else will change.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'm going to try to wear the same style for a month. I find I can put my hair up faster when I don't have to think about the style. This is the style I'm wearing for October and probably November :yep: I need some additional length in the back before I'm ready to switch up. I can do this style in 30 to 45 minutes which makes me happy.

I'm doing the same thing. This month I have two flat twists formed to look like one...don't know the name. I'm "thinking" about wearing a wig in November with braids underneath.