2015 APL/BSL Challenge

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I have not posted in this thread since I joined but I'm about 2 inches from APL. I've been struggling with styling because of my length and my shrinkage. I think I might have found my protective style...two strand twists on mostly dry hair, twisted again. My DGD says they look like Havana twists. My plan is to do a weekly MHM and band my hair until mostly dry then two strand twist. I've had really good retention without PS. I think this might be the ticket for getting over the styling hump and upping my retention game with PS.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 122

mshoneyfly

Im did a sukesh ayerveda treatment today but I mixed my own individual powders. It makes my hair temporarily thicker and I notice some healthy growth every time I've done them in the past.

These are the powders I used:
Cassia
Aloe vera
Bhringraj
Neem
Tulsi
Shikakai

traceedeebee

Sorry for being MIA. I spent this weekend catching up on this challenge and the waist length challenge. I had forgotten how relaxing reading everyone's hair journey is to me. I know that's odd but I always learn something. I have to go lurk in the other challenges so I can be fully caught up.

Hair news: I haven't done much with my hair over the summer. I kept it in two cornrows and I recently discovered I can pull my hair into a ponytail. This has been extremely convenient because I can cleanse my hair daily when I need to do so. I have been using my rinse out conditioner as a leave in with some oil to protect my hair from the gel that I've been using.

I have used up majority of my hair stash. I'm proud of myself because I don't have hair products all over the place. I only have my essentials now.

Next month I'll be installing crochet braids again. I need a break from worrying about my hair. I'm training for a half marathon in December. I need to focus. I've been through physical therapy so I'm not running as fast but my knees have stopped hurting

Here's a pull length check from today's wash day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 98

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I will post pics after I get my hair blown out Monday. I love how it turned out! My hair is darker with a nice shine. I can see the blue (like dark denim) on my tips, but my roots are blackish blue. Once I shampoo it again the color will lighten a bit and that's alright. I still have enough for 2 more applications in the jar. Manic Panic is great for bold semipermanent color and it is creamy and softening like a conditioner. I still haven't conditioned my hair and it feels great.

I hope my blue lasts at least until December, because I don't want to rinse more often than once every 3 months.

apple_natural

Hi guys ! {Waving :)}

I'm still wearing my wigs. I did not like the Outre Natural Yaki. The part is just awful and it wasn't worth the hassle.

Love!! My Freetress... I think its Freetress Atalya!! I need that one in a dark color. So, new favorites are this Atalya and my Isis BS202.

I had the Jannie (freetress?) and it was actually.... kind of bulky. It was a lot of hair with no layers really. I just didn't like it that much. Plus, I plucked the part too far apart so I ruined it. Ah well.

I have Bisa, which is Janet Collection, and Tatiana, ... forgot who made that one. I'll be wearing them in the winter, they are both a lot of hair, but I think they'll look great in different styles I want to wear this winter.

Im wearing Atalya until I get a bs202 in number 1b or 2... if I can find a 2. They are sold out on wigtypes..boo..

Anyway! ! I came to say that I'm keeping my hair in flat twists under my wigs and it's curling at the tips!!! That's huge because its usually so dry and nasty on the ends of my braids or twists, but not anymore!! I'm seeing way more curls throughout my hair and all the way to the tips!! Go moisturized hair!!

IslandMummy

Hi guys ! {Waving :)}

I'm still wearing my wigs. I did not like the Outre Natural Yaki. The part is just awful and it wasn't worth the hassle.

Love!! My Freetress... I think its Freetress Atalya!! I need that one in a dark color. So, new favorites are this Atalya and my Isis BS202.

I had the Jannie (freetress?) and it was actually.... kind of bulky. It was a lot of hair with no layers really. I just didn't like it that much. Plus, I plucked the part too far apart so I ruined it. Ah well.

I have Bisa, which is Janet Collection, and Tatiana, ... forgot who made that one. I'll be wearing them in the winter, they are both a lot of hair, but I think they'll look great in different styles I want to wear this winter.

Im wearing Atalya until I get a bs202 in number 1b or 2... if I can find a 2. They are sold out on wigtypes..boo..

Anyway! ! I came to say that I'm keeping my hair in flat twists under my wigs and it's curling at the tips!!! That's huge because its usually so dry and nasty on the ends of my braids or twists, but not anymore!! I'm seeing way more curls throughout my hair and all the way to the tips!! Go moisturized hair!!

I was going to pull the trigger on Outre Yaki at 3am but something to hold off; glad I did seeing your review

PlainJane

@Cattypus1 @traceedeebee Hi ladies, I used homemade flax seed gel on dry hair that had been stretched for a few days. The only thing I did was apply a little oyin hair dew then flax seed gel. I did flat twists. This was my first time using flax seed gel so I was pretty generous on certain sections so that may be why it worked so well. The sections that were twisted the tightest had the best curl toward the end.

traceedeebee

@Cattypus1 @traceedeebee Hi ladies, I used homemade flax seed gel on dry hair that had been stretched for a few days. The only thing I did was apply a little oyin hair dew then flax seed gel. I did flat twists. This was my first time using flax seed gel so I was pretty generous on certain sections so that may be why it worked so well. The sections that were twisted the tightest had the best curl toward the end.
I need to try flaxseed gel. I have a pound of flaxseeds. Thank you for sharing

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Thanks, which recipe are you using for the fsg?

Kells

I need to try flaxseed gel. I have a pound of flaxseeds. Thank you for sharing
I HAD a pound of flaxseeds that I intended to use for gel, but didn't care so much for the 'perishable' aspect of it and since I don't use gel that much anymore anyway; I've just been putting it in my oatmeal. Needless to say, I'm pretty regular now lol

I hope to see some length checks tomorrow!!!
Since I just joined this challenge a month ago, I won't be checking in. I'll check in, in December.
Can't wait to see whose hit goal!

traceedeebee

I HAD a pound of flaxseeds that I intended to use for gel, but didn't care so much for the 'perishable' aspect of it and since I don't use gel that much anymore anyway; I've just been putting it in my oatmeal. Needless to say, I'm pretty regular now lol

I hope to see some length checks tomorrow!!!
Since I just joined this challenge a month ago, I won't be checking in. I'll check in, in December.
Can't wait to see whose hit goal!
:lachen:I've read that it can be added to oatmeal. I'll make sure not to do this before a long run.

I was thinking about making a small batch to gauge how fast I use it this fall. I've been using gel all summer long. I'm almost done with my store bought ones. If I can have a healthy alternative I'll try it. I will probably be singing a different tune in 3 months.

I'm looking forward to the length checks myself. I know I'll be back in this challenge next year.

traceedeebee

Finally installed my mini twist. I was supposed to do some crochet braids but I needed to inspect my ends. Trimmed off a few SSKs so I'm happy. I couldn't get a real trim because the young lady who trims my hair moved. :cry3:Now, I have to find someone else who will do exactly as I ask. That's not going to be fun. I'm hoping these mini twists last me 3 to 4 weeks. After that I'll put in some crochet braids. I'm surprised at how long they are. All I need to do is moisturize the ends so they'll coil up. It's going to be nice to not have to worry about my hair. :afropick:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 35

PlainJane

I did a roller set the other day. I got my setting time down to 1 hour but I probably won't set again until I get new setting lotion. My hair was way too frizzy on day 2.
I'm finally seeing results from not using heat, my hair has elasticity! I've been waiting to know what that felt like for years.
I will confess tho that I'm 22 months into my transition and thought things would've clicked by now on everything to do with hair, but I'm hanging in there and will try to remain active on lhcf so I can stay focused.