2015 APL/BSL Challenge

NefertariBlu

I'm nine years in girl it's alright lol we'll get there one day
Wow!

I've been natural for over 10 years but shaved my head 5 years ago and ever since I've tried growing it I've just felt that I've been hitting a brick wall. I can't tell why reaching to this length is a struggle.

Some people reach it within 3 years and here 5 years down the road with the front just passing my chin and the back just past shoulder length.

I do all the things I'm supposed to do like conditioning, moisturising and protein treatments and it grows but it splits easily. So I'm always dusting.

Now I'm just leaving it the hell alone. I don't overly manipulate my hair either so I'm kinda stumped by the lack of growth.

I have just put it in some canerows and put a half wig on it. So far I'm loving the simplicity of it. Planning on wigging it for the next 3 months. I should be nearer to Apl by then.

apple_natural

I hope you are in the next with me or you've progressed to the next level up.

Thank you! ! I'll be with you.

I lurk in all of them as a way to relax after a tough day at work. I'm so bad I've been going through the historical challenges. Am I the only person who does that?
If I had a working computer, I would read through them too.

I tried to baggy at night. It drove me nuts. Does it make you hot?
I did get a little hot, but not until after work driving home in the car. I think that is because the room I was in for work was chilly and I'm just cold natured. If I'm confortable everyone else is hot

I was always having night sweats when I wore a baggy. And that sound...you're a good one. Much better than me. My wig would be coming off so I could get to that baggy.
Ha! Lolol...it was pretty funny.

Then I itched.
I do if it's too moist. This time, I let my hair pretty much air dry and put the conditioner on the length ( I refuse to say shaft because I think that's just dirty lol). Its almost like a dry dc.

You're doing amazing! What kind of DC do you have?

Aw, shucks. Thanks. We'll see by next year's length check how great in doing lol
Macadamia Natural Oil.... love. It.

Aggie

[QUOTE="apple_natural,

Aw, shucks. Thanks. We'll see by next year's length check how great I'm doing lol
Macadamia Natural Oil.... love. It.[/QUOTE]

@apple_natural, I just bought this treatment mask but haven't tried it as yet. I did however hear a lot of great reviews on it and hence the reason for purchasing it. I sure hope my hair likes this one too.

Last edited:

apple_natural

@Aggie I hope you love it too!! Just as long as no one buys them up before I get to the store when I need more lol.

@NefertariBlu right! ! Ha! Don't get crazy!

I can't wait to do two big bantu knots and that's pretty much it. That's my ultimate goal. To have enough hair to do that. .. maybe 4 but the point is to be able to stretch it fast and easy because it's long enough.

I would like to be able to put my own hair in twists that aren't really short. I would wear it like that.

I'll straighten it once a year for our anniversary and that's it.

NefertariBlu

@Aggie I hope you love it too!! Just as long as no one buys them up before I get to the store when I need more lol.

I can't wait to do two big bantu knots and that's pretty much it. That's my ultimate goal. To have enough hair to do that. .. maybe 4 but the point is to be able to stretch it fast and easy because it's long enough.

I would like to be able to put my own hair in twists that aren't really short. I would wear it like that.

I straighten my hair once a year too. But this year I'm going to skip it.

It hasn't reached the length I want so I don't see any point to straighten.

I'm going to go without straightening for 2016 and keep it under wraps. Going to dust my ends next month's as I think my hair needs a trim twice a year. I've already had a trim about 6 months ago and my ends still look pretty good, however that's what caught me out ut the first place not keeping up with it so will dust my hair when I take these canerows out in 4 weeks.

I'm thinking twice a year is good.

Cattypus1

All loced up...

That is exactly where I want to be! One to two Bantu knots over night. Get up in the morning pull it out, shake and go. That's my goal. After that, it's all gravy.

Aggie

:lol: at bolded. Girl you are funny. I hope YOU don't buy it all up before I need more @apple_natural. :rofl:

traceedeebee

I did a crochet braid install. I'm hoping for 4-6 weeks from this install. What I love about doing this style is that it doesn't take long to complete. I think I worked on installing the hair for four hours. I used one bag and most of the remaining from the last time I did my hair this way. I still have two bags left. One more install then I'll need to buy more. The hair I used was Freetress Gogo Curl.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 22

apple_natural

@NefertariBlu
That is the same for me!!
I didn't straighten my hair this year because I know it's not where I want it.... no point in looking at it and cutting it to death like I usually do.

However, I do believe that dusting twice a year works beautifully for my hair also. I haven't done the second one this year. I don't know why I've procrastinated. The next one is coming up in like 4 months already.
I want to do it but... I just haven't. I don't know why

@Cattypus1 someday soon we'll be there :)

@traceedeebee right!? Lol. Thanks. I had to really think about what I did want to do with it. I forgot all about my bantu knot goals.
Great job on your crochet braids:)

apple_natural

Finally got the isis wig I like in a #2. This 1b was killing me. It's way too dark. It's like a 1, which I knew when I got it, but it was the closest that was in stock.

I'll wear this #2 through February when I get it. What I love about Isis wigs is that they last forever. They are easy to take care of. If it weren't for the color, I would be fine with the one I have.

I co-washed with my macadamia natural oil hair rinse. I was too lazy to do anything else. I didn't put leave in or oil mist on it. I may do that tomorrow.

NefertariBlu

Currently wearing the Toni wig and I really like it. Washed it yesterday since it was getting a little stiff and it's cone out really soft today.

It's a synthetic wig but matches 4c perfectly! Everyone thinks it's my hair. Even when standing right in front of me lolol.

I don't tell them any different either.

I'm going to get another one so when thus one dies I have another on hand.

beauti

Hi ladies. I have also been wigging it. I took the weave out that I wore for my wedding and kept the beehive cornrows underneath since it was done so neatly :look: Just been cowashing and moisturizing. Will keep this until December when I will straighten for the holidays.

ajargon02

These single stranded knots have gotten out of hand. It's so much worse than from when I posted before. I've been slacking on keeping my hair stretched so I guess it's my fault. I read somewhere that sealing with shea butter will help so I'm going to give that a try because this isn't fun anymore.
Is it time for a trim? When I am stretching and notice a lot of knots,it's time for my hair to have a trim!

apple_natural

Lol okie dokie

I rinsed my hair with just water in the shower, put on my leave in and oil mist. Then, let it air dry..... I look like the Weeknd lol.

Eta: Later, I deep conditioned under a baggie and scarf for a couple of hours. Then, clipped my ends. I was going to blow it out first, but it was going to take too long and not even get the ends very well, so I left it curly. Then, I braided it down

My wig was delivered today. This #2 looks way more natural.

Last edited:

PlainJane

I straightened a small section of hair the other day. It's almost like my hair is growing out in volume but not in length. I do know it's longer though. I'm still hanging in there with giving up heat. I even used my steam rollers this weekend and my hair turned out nice. I'm going to reward myself with a bonnet dryer at the end of the year.

quirkydimples

Does anyone else lose their hair when they're stressed? That's what's happening here. I don't necessarily feel or act stressed when I am stressed...my hair just falls out. Considering the roller coaster I've been through in the last year, I'm not surprised. In fact, I remember saying a couple of months ago, "I'm surprised my hair hasn't fallen out yet." I guess I spoke too soon. :cry4:

So it's not just that my nape is breaking off. I have a thin/short patch on my right side and in the back middle area. Ugh.