2015 APL/BSL Challenge

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I know flat ironing dirty hair is a nono, but Im tempted to touch up my roots on low heat. The reversion at the roots is so thick and it's difficult for me to detangle my hair :(

jasmyne14

• Current hair length: APL
• Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Relaxed
• Goal Month: December 2015
• Current Reggie and styling choices: Shampoo x1 a week , DC x1 a week , clarify x1 a month , medium /hard protein every 4-6 weeks , M&S every day . Buns & Wigs ... Maybe get sewins not sure though
• What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? I will S&D every month and baggy more often
• Post a beginning picture : Will post later

Last edited:

abbygirl

Current hair length : Grazing APL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning- Natural
Goal Month : Dec 2015
Current Reggie and styling choices - mostly protective styling with braids
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?: more protective styling , using sulphur mix
Post a beginning picture : coming dec 30

Last edited:

naija24

Sign me up!!! I WILL BE APL OR SKIMMING IT COME SUMMER

• Current hair length: shoulder length, to me, starts at the top of your shoulders so i'm claiming SL
• Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Transitioning. I'm like 15-20% natural. I'm open to texlaxing though if I hit my goal.
• Goal Month: Summer 2015
• Current Reggie and styling choices: Sew ins like its my life's work.
• What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? Deep condition every two weeks when I go to the salon. PS 100% of the time. No direct heat. Inversion every month starting next Sunday. Manetabolism daily when I get paid next week.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm not sure what to do with my hair this weekend. A bun with marley hair would be cute, but I wonder will it last a few days... I don't want to redo the bun daily

Evolving78

Washing my hair today if I get a chance. I wash and dc every 2-3 days. I don't like to wait until my hair needs to be washed. Plus I just enjoying the shampooing and rinsing experience.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Current hair length: I'm going with CBL in the front and NL in the back Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Au Naturale Goal Month: December 2015 Current Reggie and styling choices: Love my twistouts at this length but I am finally having success with WNGs. I'm learning my natural hair for the first time in my life. I love deep conditioners and oils. I co-wash frequently and DC at least once per week. I use protein as necessary. I'm playing with MHM and enjoying my curls. I use a combo of natural products and off the shelf man-made stuff. No sulfates and I try to keep the other unfriendly stuff to a minimum. I considered straightening for a length check but I'm afraid to damage my curls. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? nothing Post a beginning picture image-51447560.jpg This is my freshly co-washed hair with no product. 16 months post relaxer/6 months post BC. Please excuse the scarring on my chest, the result of my recent bout with poison ivy.

Last edited:

yakuria

Hi! :grin:

(1) Current hair length: Shoulder Length

(2)Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural (Fine Hair/High Density/Low Porosity/4a with some 4b)

(3)Goal Month: December 2015 I want to be full APL

(4)Current Reggie and styling choices:
  1. Wash and condition hair every two weeks
    • So I use the Ion sulfate free shampoo and Duo Tex conditioner
    • I detangle my hair before I shower with Trader Joe's conditioner and Aloe Vera/Glycerin water spray mix
    • I detangle NOW (like literally two weeks ago) with a seamless shower comb ONLY. I had been using the denman for the past six months and recently noticed it had been tearing my hair to shreds!!!!
    • I wash my hair in six sections and twist each section right up after I'm done with it to prevent tangles/shrinkage
  2. Blow dry and follow with either a flat iron or curling wand every two weeks
    • After washing I let my hair dry in a T-shirt for about ten minutes then add my Natural Oasis Leave in Conditioner and the Aphogee Grean Tea Reconstructor
    • I then let it dry till its about 70%/80% in 6 twists and then add cantu shea butter and my blow dry cream and then spray the tresemme heat protectant all over
    • I then add organics shine leave in and begin to tension blow dry in sections
    • I use low heat and my blow dryer is the T3 Luxe(?)
    • Then after blow dry I then flat iron on 300 degrees(I use only one pass, don't need bone straight hair) or use the curling wand on 300 degrees
  3. Moisturize and seal every other day (or more if needed)
    • I use Organics Coconut Oil Mist and Argan Oil Mist to moisturize my hair
    • I use castor oil on my ends
    • Will use a light aloe vera juice mist and seal with argan oil if hair's REALLY dry
  4. After first week roller set/curlformer's on hair
    • I use a lottabody mix 50/50 with water to set hair. What I used to roll/set changes on how I feel
    • At this point if my hairs dry I might at add a light moisturizer to my hair as well
    • Then spray tresemme hold spray in the morning
  5. Trim ends every four months (1/4 inch)
    • I am still growing out a bad dye job so I'm slowly cutting that off. Also I don't protective style a lot so I have to keep my ends healthy. I mean the most "protective" I get is a bun or maybe clippign my hair up in the back
    • Also I have seen the most growth (My hair is at its longest point now then it has ever been) when I trim my ends regularly.
  6. Deep condition protein treatment every other month
    • Use Jamaican Black Castor Oil Deep Protein Treatment

(5)What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?: So before I posted about the evils of the denman but... I fixed the moisture problem in my hair and now it glides right through. I also wash my hair in braids making detangling easier. No more tiny hairs :grin:

(6)Post a beginning picture: See attached.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Thann

Current Length: SL
Hair: Texlaxed transitioning back to Natural
Goal Month: August

Current Reggie:
*Wash every 7-10 days with no poo, DC and tea rinse
blowdry and flatiron
* Sew-in installs for 8-10 weeks
Wash and DC every 2 weeks

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL:
* I plan to try braid outs and other protective updo's.

Post a beginning picture: I will post soon.

lindseyerinc

Current Length Full sl in back, grazing sl on sides
Hair Relaxed
Goal Month September
Curent Reggie Shampoo and DC once a week, M&S daily with aloe vera mix and grapeseed oil. Styling my hair in two french braids with ends tucked in.
Changes Upping my DC to twice a week and stretching my relaxers to 10 weeks instead of my current 8

I'll post my starting pic this weekend after my relaxer and trim

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Current hair length: I'm going with CBL in the front and NL in the back Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Au Naturale Goal Month: December 2015 Current Reggie and styling choices: Love my twistouts at this length but I am finally having success with WNGs. I'm learning my natural hair for the first time in my life. I love deep conditioners and oils. I co-wash frequently and DC at least once per week. I use protein as necessary. I'm playing with MHM and enjoying my curls. I use a combo of natural products and off the shelf man-made stuff. No sulfates and I try to keep the other unfriendly stuff to a minimum. I considered straightening for a length check but I'm afraid to damage my curls. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? nothing Post a beginning picture This is my freshly co-washed hair with no product. 16 months post relaxer/6 months post BC. Please excuse the scarring on my chest, the result of my recent bout with poison ivy.

Cattypus1 I cannot believe you're 16 months post relaxer! It seems like just yesterday we were relaxer buddies. Congrats again on being natural...I'll be there soon enough.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'm finally able to add a starting pic but this app won't let me add it to my stats on page 1. I trimmed again before taking this picture, my nape is super short now and is really close to being my first all natural section. I saw splits and have very fragile hair in my nape and just above it so I started cutting...no need in trying to reach my goal with splits and fragile/damaged ends. I'm presently rocking my first flat twist out (done on dirty hair as a test) and I'm lookig forward to doing more.

ForumRunner_20141108_195243.jpg

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Cattypus1 I cannot believe you're 16 months post relaxer! It seems like just yesterday we were relaxer buddies. Congrats again on being natural...I'll be there soon enough. Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
I know...I never thought I would go natural and I'm really enjoying the process of learning my hair. Now if I could just find that "Crissy" doll button to make my hair grow to my knees today...LOL...Yeah, I'm dating myself. How long do you plan to transition?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I know...I never thought I would go natural and I'm really enjoying the process of learning my hair. Now if I could just find that "Crissy" doll button to make my hair grow to my knees today...LOL...Yeah, I'm dating myself. How long do you plan to transition?

Oh how I wish there was such a thing, Lol!

I'm trying to enjoy my hair but this unexplained breakage in the back of my head is driving me crazy...little pieces of hair every time I manipulate it. I plan to transition for as long as I can, I want to be able to style my hair and it looks like I'm 40 and not 4, lbvs. Sometimes I want to BC and the winter time is the best time to do it...I can cover my hair when I'm out until I get used to it. So to answer your question...I.guess I really don't know, Lol.

How did you decide to BC instead of transitioning?

Evolving78

Oh how I wish there was such a thing, Lol! I'm trying to enjoy my hair but this unexplained breakage in the back of my head is driving me crazy...little pieces of hair every time I manipulate it. I plan to transition for as long as I can, I want to be able to style my hair and it looks like I'm 40 and not 4, lbvs. Sometimes I want to BC and the winter time is the best time to do it...I can cover my hair when I'm out until I get used to it. So to answer your question...I.guess I really don't know, Lol. How did you decide to BC instead of transitioning? Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
I think you should do it now! Your hair will take off something fierce!

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I think you should do it now! Your hair will take off something fierce!

I think the earliest I will consider is in January at 6/7 months post. I need to talk to my DH about it to see what he thinks...I think its important that my husband likes what he's looking at everyday, lol. Seriously tho, if I can't curb this breakage in the back...

...I should probably have someone hide my scissors.

Evolving78

I think the earliest I will consider is in January at 6/7 months post. I need to talk to my DH about it to see what he thinks...I think its important that my husband likes what he's looking at everyday, lol. Seriously tho, if I can't curb this breakage in the back... ...I should probably have someone hide my scissors. Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
yep! That's a good idea! I'm sure once he hears all of the facts you guys can make the decision on where to go next!

IslandMummy

Current hair length - 1 inch left til APL in the back
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural
Goal Month: June 2015
Current Reggie and styling choices: Crown and Glory / Box braids
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? Drink more water, exercise
Post a beginning picture: will post in December

Evolving78

I want to cowash my hair this evening! Just feel like having some water hit my scalp. I'll try to hold off until tomorrow.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Oh how I wish there was such a thing, Lol! I'm trying to enjoy my hair but this unexplained breakage in the back of my head is driving me crazy...little pieces of hair every time I manipulate it. I plan to transition for as long as I can, I want to be able to style my hair and it looks like I'm 40 and not 4, lbvs. Sometimes I want to BC and the winter time is the best time to do it...I can cover my hair when I'm out until I get used to it. So to answer your question...I.guess I really don't know, Lol. How did you decide to BC instead of transitioning? Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
There were a few reasons why it happened when it did...I had already transitioned for 10 months to the day. I had some extreme breakage at my crown and my nape so styling was not fun. I tried to compensate for the breakage with a couple of haircuts in between taking me from BSL to CL, and then there was the hair on the bathroom floor. It made me sad to think that I wouldn't be able to really see my progress until the relaxed hair was gone if I continued to trim periodically to removing it a little at a time and I was in the middle of a dusting when I decided to be done with it. It just kind of took off and before I knew it it was gone. I don't regret it at all...I just wish I had done it 20 years ago.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
There were a few reasons why it happened when it did...I had already transitioned for 10 months to the day. I had some extreme breakage at my crown and my nape so styling was not fun. I tried to compensate for the breakage with a couple of haircuts in between taking me from BSL to CL, and then there was the hair on the bathroom floor. It made me sad to think that I wouldn't be able to really see my progress until the relaxed hair was gone if I continued to trim periodically to removing it a little at a time and I was in the middle of a dusting when I decided to be done with it. It just kind of took off and before I knew it it was gone. I don't regret it at all...I just wish I had done it 20 years ago.

Cattypus1 your story sounds just like mine...I too was grazing BSL when I noticed it the first time. Since texlaxing I've had to cut most of my length, as much as 4 and 5 inches at a time...some people can do it successfully, I guess we ain't one of them. I've been reading about this scab hair and I believe I have it so I would at least like for that to grow out before making any concrete decisions. I can be impulsive at times. When I cut now, I'm like oh well...

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Cattypus1 your story sounds just like mine...I too was grazing BSL when I noticed it the first time. Since texlaxing I've had to cut most of my length, as much as 4 and 5 inches at a time...some people can do it successfully, I guess we ain't one of them. I've been reading about this scab hair and I believe I have it so I would at least like for that to grow out before making any concrete decisions. I can be impulsive at times. When I cut now, I'm like oh well... Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
It was so funny, I had shampooed and conditioned my hair and still had conditioner on my hair when I started "trimming". I just kept going and going and when I cam out of the bathroom I looked at my DH and said "what do you think?" He was very supportive and very gentle. It has been a good experience, even if I don't always look cute...LOL