2015 APL/BSL Challenge

NefertariBlu

I'm joining again for APL. It seems so elusive for some reason.

I'm natural
Current hair length: 2 inches from APL in the back.
Goal month: March 2015
Current Reggie: wash with rhassoul clay and Shikakai every week. Deep condition with whatever I have around ( using up stash) air dry and moisturise with protective mist bodifyer and seal with castor oil. protective style for every week and re moisturise during the week when needed.

continue to work out, drink and eat healthy.

I plan to keep it really simple. Mainly finger detangle and no heat and keep to frequent search and destroys. I have seen a big difference with retention since clipping away splits.

I have attached my beginning pic. It was taken in September. It's not the best pic, but my son tried his best to get my armpits in.

Sorry for the side view. I'm uploading from my phone.

Attachments

• 20140805_130539.jpg
    20140805_130539.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20140805_125217.jpg
    20140805_125217.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

xu93texas

I got my hair done Friday and went out of town. My style didn't last 24 hours- the humidity in Houston didn't agree with my 18 week post hair. I had to curl it again just so it would look decent for the remainder of the trip. So I'm done with flat irons and curling irons until the end of the year. This is why I don't wear my hair out. My styles don't last and it's a waste of time and money :(

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I got my hair done Friday and went out of town. My style didn't last 24 hours- the humidity in Houston didn't agree with my 18 week post hair. I had to curl it again just so it would look decent for the remainder of the trip. So I'm done with flat irons and curling irons until the end of the year. This is why I don't wear my hair out. My styles don't last and it's a waste of time and money :(

I'm in Houston too...My blowouts usually last a couple weeks at least. What serum are you using? Lock and block was great until I ran out and Chi Silk Infusion always delivers.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
It was so funny, I had shampooed and conditioned my hair and still had conditioner on my hair when I started "trimming". I just kept going and going and when I cam out of the bathroom I looked at my DH and said "what do you think?" He was very supportive and very gentle. It has been a good experience, even if I don't always look cute...LOL

LOL! I can imagine his inner shock...he's a very smart man! Did you hwve "scab" hair, Its the hair that isn't, relaxed or natural? I really want to chop and I really want to LT transition...I'm screwed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

xu93texas

I blame it on my stylist not doing a great job. I had a wand/spiral set done. The curls dropped within 24 hours-no humidity block spray . I use PM SSS.

Prettymetty

Evolving78

wow 18 weeks! Do you have some hot rollers or steam rollers? Those are good for saving a curled style and not heat damaging.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie

xu93texas When doing my DD hair in a twist out or stretched style in the past, I made the mistake of using glycerin rich products. Find a list of humectants; natural anf synthetic and make sure non of them are in the product you or your stylist uses. You might have to bring your own.

FUNNY STORY: I once did a curlformer set on DD and it came out BEAUTIFUL! Soft & Bouncy...that is until she went to wash up...I had her wash up instead of showering so she kept the shower curtain open, the bathroom door open too. I saw her as soon as she stepped out and she hadn't realized her hair was left a soft fluffy mess, LMBO! I told her to go look in the mirror and she burst into tears, I had to hold my laugh back, it was so funny! Her hair was fiercely soft, fluffy and stretched so we threw on a headband and all was well in her world again. I will forever remember the disappointment on her face.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie

I read this a few days ago, I hope it helps.

Copied from Alll Things O'Natural Blog.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Let's Talk Hair..HUMECTANTS and ANTI HUMECTANTS..Which Should I Use??

Hola Chicas/Chicos..I pray all is well with everyone.

Well, it is time that this wonderful subject has hit the big screen and we shed some spotlight on it.. Humectants and Anti Humectants and which is better for our beautiful kinks, coils and waves. Well, they are both actually good for our hair, but....in the right setting.

I am beginning to see so many naturals ponder the question of which products to use in this O'So Warm/Hot weather..whether they are battling fizziness or dryness or BOTH. And they all want to know WHY???

Well, as a naturalista who hates frizz myself, I decided to investigate this issue and share some of the issues that I have learned..hope this helps

HUMECTANTS..What are they?

*Substance that absorb or help retain moisture.Often used in food and cosmetic products

NATURAL HUMECTANTS..What ingredients qualify??

Glycerin, including Vegetable GlycerinHoneyPanthenol (pro Vitamin B5)Lecithin

SYNTHETIC HUMECTANTS..What ingredients qualify??

Propylene Glycol -causes irritation and contact dermatitisEthylene/Diethylene Glycol – causes irritation*and contact dermatitisPEG compounds (eg Polyethylene Glycol) –may contain the toxic by-product dioxane

NATURAL ANTI-HUMECTANTS..What ingredients qualify??

Shea Butter (raw/unrefined)Organic BeeswaxHydrogenated Castor OilMango ButterCoconut OilPalm OilExtra Virgin Olive Oil

SYNTHETIC ANTI-HUMECTANTS..What ingredients qualify

silicones (if you choose products with these ingredients, try to go for the water soluble silicones, such as:*Dimethicone Copolyl,*PEG Modified Dimethiconeesters

SO WHAT'S REALLY THE DEAL WITH THE TWO:

HUMECTANTS: while these can be great, as stated above, for locking in moisture, in certain temperatures and dew factors, humectants will either steal the moisture from your hair, thereby suffocating the hair and causing dryness and breakage (dry weather), or steal the moisture from the atmosphere and cause the hair to swell and create frizz (humid weather)..It is best to use products based with humectants in temperatures with a dew point of 30-50F.ANTI HUMECTANTS: these puppies are great for use in temperatures with a dew point of 60F

BOTTOM LINE..

If you're struggling with the frizzies or dry hair, check your ingredients and do proper product sweeps

I hope this helps..Have A Happy Frizz Free Day!

xu93texas

wow 18 weeks! Do you have some hot rollers or steam rollers? Those are good for saving a curled style and not heat damaging.

I have it on my Wishlist along with a new blow dryer and steamer. But seriously, I'm tired of all things hair. Don't feel like buying anything else. I'll be braiding this hair up Friday so I won't have to deal with it.

xu93texas

KiWiStyle, thanks for the article. I'll have to look into that further. I'm going to wig it for awhile. I wanted crochet braids done before Thanksgiving, but she's booked. I'm going to buy a new wig instead.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I have it on my Wishlist along with a new blow dryer and steamer. But seriously, I'm tired of all things hair. Don't feel like buying anything else. I'll be braiding this hair up Friday so I won't have to deal with it.

I get this...its probably best.

Evolving78

the product junkie had me for a bit. I bought those rollers two years ago! I really like them for when I need a quick touch up. Now I want a new wig. I said in the relaxed thread I might just keep hiding since everyone thinks I cut my hair. Your hair is doing so well and I'm happy you made it to 18 weeks.

xu93texas

the product junkie had me for a bit. I bought those rollers two years ago! I really like them for when I need a quick touch up. Now I want a new wig. I said in the relaxed thread I might just keep hiding since everyone thinks I cut my hair. Your hair is doing so well and I'm happy you made it to 18 weeks.

Thanks! I'm aiming to relax at the end of the year, but I may stretch to 26 weeks-I don't have any issues at this moment. That would be relaxing twice a year in 2014. I relaxed on 1/3 and on 7/6.

I will be buying a new wig as well.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
LOL! I can imagine his inner shock...he's a very smart man! Did you hwve "scab" hair, Its the hair that isn't, relaxed or natural? I really want to chop and I really want to LT transition...I'm screwed. Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
I don't know if it was scab hair or just places where I missed the relaxed ends. I went to the BS and let someone I trust (my DD) clean me up...LOL, at your dilemma. I know just how you feel. As long as you're taking good care of your hair especially the demarcation, I think the relaxed ends will take care of themselves. I wanted to do a long term but I was too far gone to keep up the fight.

IslandMummy

Taking my braids out tonight for a reinstall, need fresh braids for vacay

I started back on my biotin, and going back on a protein heavy diet

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Im in like Jacqueline! :grin:

My starting pic will be my ending pic from the SL 2014 challenge. Deets:

Natural/SL-ish fine low density type 4

Giving it til Dec 2015.

No real changes to Reggi besides wearing more updos to protect the ends. Occasionally will crochet braid for breaks.

Current reggi is an MHM lite. Oil prepoo and clarify 2x a week and DC after each time. Midweek cowash and tea rinsing. Henna and indigo monthly or more. Heavy sealing. Dusting and seek and destroy monthly. Sometimes will use ayuvedic powders to cleanse if hair or scalp gets stressed.

Most importantly will be keeping up on my vitamins and supplements and h2o.

Thats it!

We gone make it in 2015 y'all! :yep:

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Caruso steam rollers have been on my list for years now. I might get a set as a Christmas gift to myself :grin:

Evolving78

Taking my braids out tonight for a reinstall, need fresh braids for vacay I started back on my biotin, and going back on a protein heavy diet
I need to get back on my protein shakes too! I had oatmeal this morning. Will eat that daily and try to spice it up! I am taking nature bounty hsn vitamins with 5,000 mg of biotin. I have been trying to be consistent. My diet is crap and I don't get much sleep, so I can't tell if they are working. My nails and hair in other areas are growing quicker, but my nails always grow fast? I started drinking bamboo tea too. This is my third cup for the week today.

NefertariBlu

I came back to say that I'm going to try making my own hair cream. I like the consistency of the qhemets am a cream but it's just too expensive for me to keep buying some I'm in the UK.

I didn't like it at first, but now I really like it. I mainly use it to seal since its high in castor oil. My hair loves castor oil so I've watched a video showing how to make a cream with the same consistency of the qhemets.

I'm going to try avocado and cocoa butter with some castor oil and see how it goes.

faithVA

I came back to say that I'm going to try making my own hair cream. I like the consistency of the qhemets am a cream but it's just too expensive for me to keep buying some I'm in the UK.

I didn't like it at first, but now I really like it. I mainly use it to seal since its high in castor oil. My hair loves castor oil so I've watched a video showing how to make a cream with the same consistency of the qhemets.

I'm going to try avocado and cocoa butter with some castor oil and see how it goes.

Would you share the video with us? tia

jasmyne14

I'll be wigging it out from next week .

For those who wear wigs how do you get your hair underneath to lay flats ?

lindseyerinc

I need to get back on my protein shakes too! I had oatmeal this morning. Will eat that daily and try to spice it up! I am taking nature bounty hsn vitamins with 5,000 mg of biotin. I have been trying to be consistent. My diet is crap and I don't get much sleep, so I can't tell if they are working. My nails and hair in other areas are growing quicker, but my nails always grow fast? I started drinking bamboo tea too. This is my third cup for the week today.

Do protein heavy diets really help hair?

yakuria

(So I originally posted this in the 2014 thread by mistake. :lol:)

So tried a flat twist out on blow dried hair with diluted lottabody. It came out well, except for the fact I have major shrinkage (If I just let my hair air dry I get about 80% shrinkage). Although it still came out nice. I put perm rods just on the ends and it gave my flat twist a much needed stretch at the ends.:yep: Gonna see how long I can make this last though. Trying out new things to stretch hair till wash day.

P.S. excuse the PJ's :grin:

Attachments

• 206d99x.jpg
    206d99x.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 2hqbc47.jpg
    2hqbc47.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 35