2016 A P L/b S L Challenge

wish4length

:hide: Um....have I joined this challenge? I want to :lachen:

1. Current hair length= APL
  2. Natural
  3. Goal Month= October
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices= Deep condition with heat protecting products and leave ins and flat iron, wear protective styles, sometimes sew ins, and take hairfinity pills
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? I started taking hairfinity and I'm going to use coconut oil on my scalp and ends
  6. Post a beginning picture starting.png

PlainJane

My original plan was to reach BSL then maintain that length, but I'm going to just maintain APL hair for now. My hair is in the best shape it's ever been in, but I can't figure out what's going wrong with my ends.

I haven't logged on because I've been so discouraged with hair lately.

Janet'

:hide: Um....have I joined this challenge? I want to :lachen:

1. Current hair length= APL
  2. Natural
  3. Goal Month= October
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices= Deep condition with heat protecting products and leave ins and flat iron, wear protective styles, sometimes sew ins, and take hairfinity pills
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? I started taking hairfinity and I'm going to use coconut oil on my scalp and ends
  6. Post a beginning picture

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: Beautiful head of hair!!!

apple_natural

I put in box braids. I still have a section at the top right that I need to finish, but they are loooooong. I look like i'm about to say "you aint gotsta lie craig!"... I think that I will see a lot of progress if I keep them in back to back for the next bunch of months... I did that one year and I got great progress. I'm going to try for August. Then, i will re-evaluate.

I've been taking my vitamins - prenatal vitamin and a 10k biotin and keratin vitamin. i don't take prenatal vitamins for hair growth, but i do see a benefit in my hair growth. i've not taken biotin before, this is my first bottle. we'll see what happens!!

GGsKin

Did an impromptu henna treatment yesterday (3rd in total). I want to deepen the coppery tint I have and I couldn't wait to use my Red Raj that arrived a few days ago.

I DC for an hr with AOWC, in bantu knots and cling film. Then rinsed and styled for a wng. Because of my failure to plan, I was up until 2.30 making sure I'd be work ready in the a.m. Still won't get an early night tonight, but I'm off tomorrow so it's all good.

Will take pics once it oxidizes.

traceedeebee

My original plan was to reach BSL then maintain that length, but I'm going to just maintain APL hair for now. My hair is in the best shape it's ever been in, but I can't figure out what's going wrong with my ends.

I haven't logged on because I've been so discouraged with hair lately.
Stay encouraged @PlainJane :bighug:What's going on with your ends? Are you interested in protective styling for a few months like @apple_natural ? It may reduce the stress.
I put in box braids. I still have a section at the top right that I need to finish, but they are loooooong. I look like i'm about to say "you aint gotsta lie craig!"... I think that I will see a lot of progress if I keep them in back to back for the next bunch of months... I did that one year and I got great progress. I'm going to try for August. Then, i will re-evaluate.

I've been taking my vitamins - prenatal vitamin and a 10k biotin and keratin vitamin. i don't take prenatal vitamins for hair growth, but i do see a benefit in my hair growth. i've not taken biotin before, this is my first bottle. we'll see what happens!!
You are funny :lachen:I wish I could wear box braids back to back. I don't moisturize properly so I end up finding sliced patches of hair. I may try crochet braids again. I need to protective so I can take a mental hair break. I also need to get back to taking my multivitamin. I've let work disrupt all of my normal habits.

GGsKin

Sometimes I forget where I post:giggle:

Today was Day 4 hair (after letting the henna colour oxidize a little). Instasize_0414075421.jpg My hair doesn't feel too dry but because I left a small section of my hair henna-free, I can feel the difference and I think it's time to condition a little.

Just now slathered on some AOWC on the back and wrapped in cling film and a bag. I'll stay like this for an hr.

Aggie

I just massaged my scalp with some of my homemade hairdrenalin potion. It definitely smells herbally. I thought it would have had a really strong onion or garlic smell, but nope, it doesn't, probably because I added some peppermint and rosemary essential oils to it. Not much, but a little nonetheless.

It smelled awesome, like cooked food, when I took it from the oven though and that is also before I added the onion, garlic and essential oils.

apple_natural

i decided having box braids was an excuse to get new hair care products while I was at Trader Joes because i've been wanting to try the Tea Tree Tingle. I use tea tree products on my face and it is wonderful!!! so, i figured that was also a reason to have tea tree tingle shampoo, conditioner, and..eh! the body wash too. why not? i'll use these while i have my braids in

apple_natural

You are funny :lachen:I wish I could wear box braids back to back. I don't moisturize properly so I end up finding sliced patches of hair. I may try crochet braids again. I need to protective so I can take a mental hair break. I also need to get back to taking my multivitamin. I've let work disrupt all of my normal habits.

I took my vitamins to work and put them in my desk. Thats how I'm remembering to take them everyday. When i put my purse away, i take them out :) works great!

@AbsyBlvd YOUR HAIR IS FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!! I need to do the max hydration thing. I keep saying i'm going to do it, but i haven't tried it yet. Please give me a simplified version of what to do and whether you still do it.

GGsKin

I took my vitamins to work and put them in my desk. Thats how I'm remembering to take them everyday. When i put my purse away, i take them out :) works great!

@AbsyBlvd YOUR HAIR IS FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!! I need to do the max hydration thing. I keep saying i'm going to do it, but i haven't tried it yet. Please give me a simplified version of what to do and whether you still do it.

:blush:Thank you @apple_natural.
I started out with the full blown Pink Cube version of MHM for about 6months (started late 2014) before I started dabbling and took on some of Dubai Dee's amendments. Now, I still don't use combs and I don't use baking soda.

My usual wash day simplified looks like this;
Rinse, clay wash, rinse, oil (with a light hand), wet and gel.

I'll PM the details because I can waffle out some paragraphs.

apple_natural

@AbsyBlvd thank you so much for writing the details all out. I saw your photos long time ago when i seached MHM and i got the clay, but it is still sealed in my restroom. I have not used it. I do try to condition more regularly, but i need to be more serious. when i take my braids out i will focus on this. i am getting prepared now lol

GGsKin

@apple_natural You're welcome:). The clay is a great conditioner. Which one did you get?

If you don't mind a wet head and a bit of mess, it's definitely for you or like me (and those around me), you can become accustomed to it all:lol:.

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
I washed and attempted to blow out my own hair today using the tension method...um..epic fail :mad: I guess this will be my length check for this month..:look:

please excuse the shrinkage. I was pulling my own hair in the pic:look:

Attachments

• 13001257_10100694685313429_1111013116917319166_n.jpg
    13001257_10100694685313429_1111013116917319166_n.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 13051546_10100694684245569_2083094323192076367_n.jpg
    13051546_10100694684245569_2083094323192076367_n.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 24

apple_natural

@apple_natural You're welcome:). The clay is a great conditioner. Which one did you get?

If you don't mind a wet head and a bit of mess, it's definitely for you or like me (and those around me), you can become accustomed to it all:lol:.

I have Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay- a bentonite clay. The one in a white jar with the red banner thing. I wanted to mix it with apple cider vinegar. I don't know how i feel about wet hair lol. I don't think I like it, but i'll try to get used to it when I'm ready to start doing this

faithVA

I have Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay- a bentonite clay. The one in a white jar with the red banner thing. I wanted to mix it with apple cider vinegar. I don't know how i feel about wet hair lol. I don't think I like it, but i'll try to get used to it when I'm ready to start doing this
The Aztec bentonite is drying to some hair if used too often. So see how your hair feels after using it a few times. You may need to add more moisturizing ingredients to it like honey and oils, etc.

Some people do just fine with it though.

GGsKin

I use this brand. I can use it alone but I tend to mix mine with rhassoul clay and water and/or milk, or steeped marshmallow root and/ or hibiscus- the latter options are very moisturising for my hair.

apple_natural

I'm trying! I think my splits are from all those months of not moisturizing my hair and sleeping with my head not covered.
I'm hoping that weekly roller sets will help with SSKs. Wet styling just isn't for me :Nono:

lol. I hope they get together since you are really happy otherwise with the health of your hair. what worked for me, besides changing the products i used, was dusting twice a year and putting a little oil on my ends when i put it up at night.

I use this brand. I can use it alone but I tend to mix mine with rhassoul clay and water and/or milk, or steeped marshmallow root and/ or hibiscus- the latter options are very moisturising for my hair.

k, thank you for supporting my moisturizing lol!!! i saw this at whole foods and just picked it up. i really want rhassoul clay. i'll get the things that you mentioned here. and plus honey (thank you @faithVA)

The Aztec bentonite is drying to some hair if used too often. So see how your hair feels after using it a few times. You may need to add more moisturizing ingredients to it like honey and oils, etc.

thank ya! honey sounds awesome. i think that i will add that to the mix. hopefully it works out.

Janet'

Hey Ladies!!! I haven't been on in a week or so because I have was prepping for foot surgery (that I had today). Everything went well, but I am off of my feet for 6 weeks! Needless to say, my hair is in two big goddess braids so that I don't have to worry about my hair during this healing process.