2016 A P L/b S L Challenge

IslandMummy

The Guidelines:

1. Join the challenge by clicking "thanks" on this post
  2. The challenge will officially begin on December 31, 2015 and run til December 31, 2016.
  3. The challenge is open to join at any time. No cut off date!
  4. Post pictures with updates, protective styling ideas, and anything else hair related that you'd like to share.
  5. STAY POSITIVE!! Remember to encourage each other and provide insightful feedback.
Join the Challenge
  1. Current hair length
  2. Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning
  3. Goal Month
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?
  6. Post a beginning picture
Scheduled Updates

Length checks only have to be twice per year so we are not obsessing over length but healthy hair in general. First pic should be your starting pic and then LC pic in June and another one in December. If you feel you have gained enough to post a sooner LC then please follow the check in dates below.

1. March 31st
  2. June 30th
  3. September 30th
  4. December 31st

Challengers:
IslandMummy
bajandoc86
Cattypus1
*Harmony*
almond eyes
Crackers Phinn
PlainJane
traceedeebee
NefertariBlu
NefertariBlu
LoveArianna
Nightingale
apple_natural
ajargon02
Aggie
KidneyBean86
Nat1984
Rocky91
Chewy
Daina
Rozlewis
Darkjoy
HairPleezeGrow
25Nona
Coolsista-paris
trclemons
ladybevy
apemay1969
Adiatasha
Wik3ddd_fr3shh
Alex114
ckisland
jasmyne14
myfaithrising
AbsyBlvd
shawnyblazes
prettymetty
gvin89
Queensheba
long.hair.dont.care
mzhotniz86
APrayer4Hair

Last edited:

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
  1. Current hair length- APL?
  2. Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning- NATURAL
  3. Goal Month- DECEMBER 2016. I PLAN TO STRAIGHTEN MY HAIR FOR GRADUATION
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices- TWISTOUT/PUFF
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?- DC MORE & STRETCH HAIR
STARTING PIC BELOW.

Attachments

• 12282866_10100604852399309_1050606075_n.jpg
    12282866_10100604852399309_1050606075_n.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 12278876_10100606275502399_8371753537917634125_n.jpg
    12278876_10100606275502399_8371753537917634125_n.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

ajargon02

1. Current hair length: below shoulder length
  2. Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: natural
  3. Goal Month: Dec 2016
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices: wash 1x per wk. Alternating protein and moisture in my dc. Sitting under the hooded dryer in a rollerset, then twisting on stretched hair.
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? Hiding my ends more in buns.

Attachments

• 20151206_201812.jpg
    20151206_201812.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 125

apple_natural

Yeah buddy! I am usually late, but not this time!! Yay!

Current hair length

Shoulder length as usual

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning

Natural

Goal Month

November/December

Current Reggie and styling choices

My plan for styling during 2016 is to wear box braids pretty much all year and have one wig to use sparingly.

Deep condition when I take my braids out, co-wash/moisture spray often, shampoo scalp as necessary.

I may dust my ends in the spring and fall.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?
This second year is always the most difficult. I always do something to cause a set back that's takes me a year to recover from. Last time, I had my hair "professionally" colored which caused tree splits. The time before that, I think I let it get so dry that it split and I had to cut it. I think that's what happened. It was just gone soon after I noticed it grew.

Therefore, no color, no heat, no "professional." I will do my braids myself. I will wear a bonnet at night, every night. I will co-wash and/or use my moisturizing spray often.

Post a beginning picture

I will try to take one and post it. I'm bad about that, but then I get sad when I can't tell if I made any progress lol

Rozlewis

1. Current hair length: Grazing BSL
  2. Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Relaxed
  3. Goal Month: December 2016
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices: Wash 1 time a week, cowash 1 time per week, DC ever week alternating protein and moisture, air drying 90% of the time but will also roller set, bun and or undo 99% of the time.
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? Moisturize, seal and protect those ends.

I will post a picture later.

Daina

Okay updating my info and will post a pic as soon as I get my sister to flat iron and do a length check for me on Watch night (12/31)
  1. Current hair length: Between APL and BSB
  2. Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural
  3. Goal Month: June 2016 would like to be BSL
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices: Currently co-wash 1x week and DC; protein added ~every 6 - 8 weeks; clarify with shampoo 1x per month; was using too much heat which retarded length so for the last month I have been leveraging wash-n-go's, twist/braid out's and buns. Will only do flat-ironing 1x per month as hubby HATES buns so will wrap hair and try to maintain flat-iron for at least 7 - 10 days.
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? Just started taking Hair La Vie supplements and using Amla oil to combat grays and encourage more growth. Also curious about trying the Inversion method.
  6. Post a beginning picture: Picture coming 12/31 when I blow-out and flat-iron.

Realhairdontcare

1. Current hair length : between cbl and apl
  2. Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxd/Transitioning : natural
  3. Goal Month : apl : june 2016 and bsl: december 2016
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices : wash hair once a week. Deep condition once a week. Protein treatments every 6 to 8 weeks. Flat iron once a month only or wear hair in natural state but stretched. Oil scalp as needed. Moisturize/seal daily.
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? Babying my ends and no more wash and go only going to wear my hair stretched and buns or some type of updo most of the time.

Attachments

• 1450446054760.jpg
    1450446054760.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

traceedeebee

1. Current hair length: APL(nape section grazing BSB)
  2. Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: natural
  3. Goal Month: Full APL- 12/31/2016, BSL-12/31/2016
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices: While in a protective style, I will cleanse my scalp as needed, moisturize and seal every other day and careful attention will be given to my ends to seal with either JBCO or my twist and loc butter. While not in a protective style, I will prepoo with Chicoro's recipe, cleanse, oil rinse, and deep condition weekly. If I use heat, I will lightly protein treat. If no heat is used, I will lightly protein treat every three to four weeks. My protective styles will be mini twists and crochet braids. When not protective styling, I'll wear a pony puff, two cornrows or a bun.
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? I plan on taking my multivitamin regularly at least five times a week. I just started using oil rinsing and prepooing with Chicoro's recipe. I plan on continuing both. They have been very beneficial for me. I have always wanted to try inversion so I'll do that during the first quarter.
  6. Post a beginning picture. I'm recycling the pictures that I took the week before last. I don't think anything has changed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

PlainJane

Current hair length:
Grazing APL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning
24 months post transitioning (basically natural)
Goal Month
APL by April, BSL by December

Current Reggie and styling choices
Prepoo to detangle, cowash and DC weekly. Jbco scalp 2-3 times a week.
Styles are usually twist outs, up dos, roller sets, trying Curlformers soon

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?
I had good results cutting back on heat usage so I'll do that again. Also, added jbco.

Post a beginning picture

*Harmony*

1. Current hair length: APL
  2. Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Texlaxed
  3. Goal Month: December 2016
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices: Shampoo once a week with ORS Uplifting Shampoo afterwards deep condition with ORS Replenishing Conditioner, Co wash once a week with moisturizing conditioner. Moisturize and seal twice a day. Texlax every 10 weeks. I plan on bunning more often and keep my hair up more often. Rollerset or Flat iron only for special occasions.
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? Stay away from so much heating tools such as blow drying and flat ironing. Practice more low manipulation styles and protective styling.

View media item 128553
View media item 128555

Last edited:

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
1. Current Hair Length - Between NL and SL.

2. Natural

3. Goal Month - APL by Dec 2016

4. Current Regimen : Protective styling mainly under wigs...aim is to keep my hair hidden for majority of 2016. Cowash/DC/Blowdryer once every two weeks, M&S at least 2x per week using the LCO method, GHE once a week.

5. What I plan on changing to achieve my goal - maintaining CONSISTENCY with my regimen.

6. Beginning pic

traceedeebee

I'm so happy to be home. This humidity is causing my hair to take on a life of its own. My friend, who is transitioning, kept complaining about her hair rising. I was too tired to fight it. I do regret not taking the time to put some Princess Leia buns on my head before work. That would have been fun.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Join the Challenge
  1. Current hair length: SL
  2. Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural
  3. Goal Month: Dec 2016
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices: protective styling
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?: same ole regimen
  6. Post a beginning plength: This pic was taken Sunday. Hair is braided back up already so this is my beginning pic.
  7. 11232015202723.jpg

traceedeebee

Since I'm in the Grow it long challenge, I've been working on keeping the SSKs to a minimum. Along with protective styles, I want to be sure to incorporate some stretched styles. In April, I'll get a trim pass so I'm holding vigil until that time. I can't afford to be carefree like I was this past summer. When I finally buckled down, I had so many SSKs to remove as I was putting in my mini twists. I will not do continuous pony puffs in the summer of 2016.

I hope someone finds this video helpful.
Is there a mistake that you want to avoid in 2016?

traceedeebee

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! :holiday:I need to get up and start cooking breakfast.

I found a couple of videos yesterday that I wanted to share. I detangled just like she does after I kept my mini twists in longer than I normally do. Doing the harp, helps get that shed hair out. It takes a while but it's better to invest the time beforehand than suffer the consequences of matting:nono2: I did that when I transitioned. There's nothing scarier than having matted hair. Of course I freaked out. I ended snatching a plug of hair out and big chopping

25Nona

I would like to join

1. Current hair length: Shoulder length
  3. Goal Month: Full APL by by July 2016 and grazing BSL by Dec 2016
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices: wash and DC weekly with steam
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? Stretching my relaxer to when I need to relax and not going by a calendar. Beings consistent with my vitamins, scalp massages and my overall regi
  6. Post a beginning picture:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

apple_natural

A mistake I want to avoid is ignoring my hair while in twists. I will keep it moisturized.

Another one is not being positive! This year, I am telling myself that I will see great progress. Even if I start with a dust and especially if I start with a dust. I can retain great growth this year. The hairs broken at the roots are going to grow out. My hair will fill out. I will have healthy hair, even hair like I did before I colored it . Also, I may be able to get arm pit length.

traceedeebee

I would like to join

1. Current hair length: Shoulder length
  3. Goal Month: Full APL by by July 2016 and grazing BSL by Dec 2016
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices: wash and DC weekly with steam
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? Stretching my relaxer to when I need to relax and not going by a calendar. Beings consistent with my vitamins, scalp massages and my overall regi
  6. Post a beginning picture:
Welcome @25Nona!:welcome4:
Your relaxed hair is so full at shoulder length. When my hair was relaxed, that was the point where my nape would break off. What vitamins do you take?

traceedeebee

A mistake I want to avoid is ignoring my hair while in twists. I will keep it moisturized.

Another one is not being positive! This year, I am telling myself that I will see great progress. Even if I start with a dust and especially if I start with a dust. I can retain great growth this year. The hairs broken at the roots are going to grow out. My hair will fill out. I will have healthy hair, even hair like I did before I colored it . Also, I may be able to get arm pit length.
Was your hair in twists with extensions? I would get lazy and not moisturize properly when I had in extensions. Without extensions, I seem to be more aware of how moisturized my hair is.

You can definitely do it! Your hair will fill out. I snatched a bald spot in my head a couple of years ago. I can't find that hair that grew in. You got it! You were always positive in the 2015 thread. It's hard to keep that up when you're going through something though and that's ok. :bighug: