2016 Bsl/mbl Challenge

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Come grow with me ladies! This challenge starts on January 1 and goes until Dec 21, 2016.

Like this post and answer the following questions to join.

Starting length:
Goal month:
Inches from Bsl/Mbl:
Regimen:
Starting pic:

Check ins are in March, June, September and December. You can post as often as you like and pics are always welcome.

Last edited:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Starting Length: APL
Goal Month: Aug. 2016 BSL, Dec. 2016 MBL
Inches from BSL/MBL: 4.5 inches from BSL, 6 inches from MBL
Regimen: 1x week Oil prepoo, shampoo, steam DC. Protein 1x monthly. My hair unstretched is too short to brush against my clothes, so I don't protective style. Wash and Go, Braidouts or twists. Band and cover with satin bonnet nightly.
Starting Pic: Will post after next wash day.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Starting length: Bsb
Goal month: Bsl by April, Mbl by December
Inches from Bsl/Mbl: 3-4 inches
Regimen: I shampoo every week or 2 with Cream of Nature detangling shampoo. Afterwards I use a Kerastase mask for 5 minutes. Garnier Sleek and shine cream is my leave in, moisturizer and heat protectant. I plan on straightening my hair twice a month on low heat with my wet/dry flatiron. I trim once a season on a beneficial day based on Morrocco Method.

Starting pic below

Attachments

• 20151216_235851.jpg
    20151216_235851.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 175
Starting length: (Cut my hair so I have to check what length it is...it's probably at or an inch above APL)
Goal month: BSL... June/July 2016? (hopefully haha) and MBL by december of 2016
Inches from Bsl/Mbl: (gotta measure)
Regimen: Wash once a week, Deep condition once or twice a week(the second time I deep condition I'll cowash before hand or use diluted shampoo as to not dry out my hair) Deep condition with KeraCare Humecto mixed with olive oil and a little bit of coconut oil(tried this last week and even tho my hair doesn't seem to like coconut oil it responded really well to this mix!) or Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute (every other week probably, followed by deep conditioning with KeraCare) Use Aphogee 2 Step every 6 weeks or whenever I notice extreme breakage(even though it's a protein, it really restored my hairs elasticity and I love that!) Relax at around 16 weeks, moisturize and seal...yada yada :rolleyes:
Starting pic: (soon)

stephshe

I'm in :)

Starting length: I'm touching bsl now but my ends are thin so my goal is thick ends at bsl
Goal month December 2016
Inches from Bsl/Mbl: probably 4" until I get thick ends
Regimen: deep condition and protein treatments,take biotin,horsetail and vitamin supplements. will probably eventually get hairfinity pills again too, exercise 3 times a week,eat more veggies,more water and try to keep my hair tucked away with the help of wigs

Starting pic:

Daina

I'm joining the club!

Starting length: Between APL and BSB
Goal month: BSL by June; MBL by December
Inches from Bsl/Mbl: Will update 12/31 when I do a length check to know for sure
Regimen: co-wash and deep condition weekly; shampoo every 4 - 6 weeks; protein every 90 days or so; M&S every other day while in wash-n-go, twist outs or buns. Use flat iron 1x per month as hubby HATES buns! Currently taking Hair La Vie, prenatal vitamin and will be starting additional MSM in January. Also starting to use Amla oil to promote growth and control gray hair.
Starting pic: Will post 12/31 after length check

Caramel74

Starting length: APL
Goal Month: June-August 2016 BSL, October-December 2016 MBL
Inches from BSL/MBL: 3-4 inches from BSL, 5-6 Inches from MBL
Regimen: Conditioner wash, Moisturize and seal daily. Shampoo once a week. Oil rinses when hair needs it. Take Biotin daily. Protective style is wet bunning, but I take it down everynight, shake it out and dry it in one long braid in the back. Pick it out and sleep with it loose. Wear it loose every three days but when I have time to air dry for 1 1/2 to 2 hours then do a tension blowdry (indirect heat) to loosen my curls and get some length back. Deep condition and Dominican blowout 1x per month.

Starting pic:

Attachments

• Length Check 30 Oct 2015.jpg
    Length Check 30 Oct 2015.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

VictoriousBrownFlower

Starting length:Apl
Goal month:Bsl Aug 2016 Mbl Dec 2016
Inches from Bsl/Mbl: 4 inches til bsl, 6 inches til mbl
Regimen: Wash once a week.
Shampoo with chagrin valley herb garden shampoo bar
Deep condition with myhoneychild honey hair mask
Protein treatment when needed with Aphogee 2 min reconstructor
Apply giovanni direct leave in
seal with hemp butter
style in either wash and go or braidout
Take biotin and multi vitamin everyday
Starting pic:http://[URL=http://s146.photobucket.com/user/BronxJazzy/media/19cf07ff-cff8-4075-85e9-9894cd7f5428.jpg.html][IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/BronxJazzy/19cf07ff-cff8-4075-85e9-9894cd7f5428.jpg

Attachments

• DSC06115.JPG
    DSC06115.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 141

Daina

@Daina how long does your hair stay straight after flatironing?

@Prettymetty if I leave it alone, consistently wrap and not over moisturize I can get a week or 10 days. My issue comes in with my scalp getting tight and itchy especially in winter. If I over oil my scalp my hair just gets limp and kind of blah. Any longer than 10 days and my scalp can't take it. How about you, how long does yours last?

Caramel74

My hair came out so good today. I let it air dry for over and hour and let the curls dry, then I stretched it out with my blowdryer. My curls came out perfect, they were shiny, loose, bouncy and my length fell at basically APL. I should have left it alone but I decided to play with it a little too much and messed up the curls :nono2: now it's back in a braid. I'm glad it's healthy and getting longer though..
:yahoo:
It feels good to not feel obligated to flat iron my hair to stretch it out for length because now when I do it looks too flat and uneven. The only time it looks good when it's straight is when i have my hair done at the Dominican salon and I can only get it to last a day or two. I don't know how to wrap my hair and maybe it wouldn't stay anyway because my hair is so fine and I sweat at night.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I wore a donut bun to work today with a headband. I just took down my bun and massaged my scalp with liquid gold oil. I'm looking forward to washing my hair again Thursday. I get to try another Kerastase mask (Cristalliste).

morgandenae

Morgan Denae'
Ok, I'll take another crack at it

Starting length: APL
Goal month: BSL- March 2016, MBL- June 2016
Inches from Bsl/Mbl: 3+ inches to MBL
Regimen: Wash/Prepoo weekly, Cowash weekly, Hard protein every 3 months, Light every month in between. Protective styling 8 months out of the year.

Starting pic:

IMG_20151206_003504-2-2.jpg

Caramel74

Practicing using paint for my comparison photos. I'm going to need to buy the length check tshirt. You can hardly see my hair with this gray shirt on. But this picture is a natural hair, straight hair comparison photo. I bought some hair bonnets and dooby wraps today so the next time I have a blowout I can wrap my hair and cover it at night. I've been watching videos on youtube on how to wrap your hair and I think I can do it. I'm going to try anyway, :) Ok, so this picture I attached. You click it twice to get it big enough to really see. Click on it once to open it up, and then once it's opened you can click it again and it will get bigger. Is there a milestone name to when you're past APL but not yet BSL? That's where I am now. I'm about 2 inches away from BSL.

Attachments

• Practicing Comparison Pictures.png
    Practicing Comparison Pictures.png
    353.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Daina

Practicing using paint for my comparison photos. I'm going to need to buy the length check tshirt. You can hardly see my hair with this gray shirt on. But this picture is a natural hair, straight hair comparison photo. I bought some hair bonnets and dooby wraps today so the next time I have a blowout I can wrap my hair and cover it at night. I've been watching videos on youtube on how to wrap your hair and I think I can do it. I'm going to try anyway, :) Ok, so this picture I attached. You click it twice to get it big enough to really see. Click on it once to open it up, and then once it's opened you can click it again and it will get bigger. Is there a milestone name to when you're past APL but not yet BSL? That's where I am now. I'm about 2 inches away from BSL.

Hi @Caramel74 I believe the in-between would be BSB - below shoulder blade. That is where I think I am as well, I'm new to the forum though and could be wrong.

Caramel74

I agree with @Daina. The in between length is called bsb. That's my length right now. Bsl is forever an inch away :( I should be Bsl for sure by March even with my slow growth rate.
Turn that frown upside down because you are only an inch away from BSL that's great! That's very long. I can remember when I BC'd or when the hairdresser hacked all my hair off and gave me layers. I'm glad I'm not where I used to be that's for sure and when I had my Dominican blowout I was ecstatic. My hair was in a wet bun all summer for work and that is how I wear it to work because I can just take a shower to wake up, moisturize and seal, and put it away. Because of that my hair just thrived and thrived.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Biotin is really growing my hair faster. I looked at old pictures of when I bc'd in May and there's a huge difference. Not only that but it's making my hair thicker. I was getting thinning in my crown area and just took a pic of the thinning area and it's filling out. I really thought I was going bald but it's at least 75% better. Thank God!!!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Biotin is really growing my hair faster. I looked at old pictures of when I bc'd in May and there's a huge difference. Not only that but it's making my hair thicker. I was getting thinning in my crown area and just took a pic of the thinning area and it's filling out. I really thought I was going bald but it's at least 75% better. Thank God!!!
Biotin didn't seem to make a difference in my growth rate. I already take a hair vitamin so maybe I don't need extra biotin...

I stopped taking garlic too, because I ran out. My postpartum shedding is finally over anyway.

I might wash and straighten my hair tomorrow since Christmas and Christmas eve will be spent with family. My mom wants to make pecan candy like we used to when I was a kid :dinnertime:

Caramel74

I had my hair flat ironed at Mastercuts. I wanted to see what they could come up with because my Dominican salon is closed on Sunday and I have picture day with my boyfriend. I did my curly style but I didn't want to be stuck just in case. It's almost impossible for me to leave my hair alone when it's down and sometimes my curls are whacky. If it wasn't picture day then I wouldn't be as concerned. So for $12 she didn't do bad at all. She didn't pressure me to cut my hair as I thought she would. She just flat ironed it and understood when I told her that I almost give up doing it myself because it never comes out the same. It's mostly because they take smaller sections and straighten in the direction of your hair so it has more volume. It's still not as good as my Dominican salon but it's better than nothing and it was raining today too. The things we have to go through.... :rolleyes:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
@Prettymetty if I leave it alone, consistently wrap and not over moisturize I can get a week or 10 days. My issue comes in with my scalp getting tight and itchy especially in winter. If I over oil my scalp my hair just gets limp and kind of blah. Any longer than 10 days and my scalp can't take it. How about you, how long does yours last?
When I straighten myself it only lasts a week. A salon blowout lasts a few weeks, but they use a blowdryer, flatiron and higher heat. I just airdry and do one pass on 300 degrees.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Biotin didn't seem to make a difference in my growth rate. I already take a hair vitamin so maybe I don't need extra biotin...

I stopped taking garlic too, because I ran out. My postpartum shedding is finally over anyway.

I might wash and straighten my hair tomorrow since Christmas and Christmas eve will be spent with family. My mom wants to make pecan candy like we used to when I was a kid :dinnertime:
I think the reason why biotin and a multi vitamin works so well for me is because I was very deficient of vitamins when I got checked out at the doctor.