2016 Bsl/mbl Challenge

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Today was wash day. I used Curl Ideal Cleansing conditioner with aloe, rosemary and peppermint oil to wash and then I did a 30 minute dc with Cristalliste mask. Now I'm airdrying my hair a bit so that I can redo my wig braids.

Eta. braids are done and my hair was easy to detangle. However, I had more shed strands than last week. Maybe it's because last week I used Densite dc...

Last edited:

morgandenae

Morgan Denae'
Still wigging and loving it.

Got busy and didn't wash or cowash my braids for 2 weeks which is unheard of for me. Somehow my scalp felt great and my hair was still soft. May stay with this routine.

Still hoping to be grazing MBL on my December flat iron. 4 weeks from today :eek: #overdrive

VictoriousBrownFlower

So I washed my hair today and did a much needed protein treatment with Aphogee's 2 min recon. I left it on for around 5 min instead of the recommended 2. I then did a conditioner only wash and go like I normally do and omg my hair came out amazing. My hair is thick looking, defined, soft, and elongated. I had no idea a protein treatment could make such a difference in the performance of my hair. I'm def going to keep my moisture/ protein balance in check from now on.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I cowashed my lace wig with the last bit of Chroma Captive mask. I wasn't a fan of that dc, so I figured I'd use it on my wig. Now I'm airdrying it on the patio:look::look::look:

I ordered more Xcel21 since I'm on my last bottle. The first bottle lasted about 2 weeks. I only bought 2 bottles to start...That's a 1 month supply. I got 9 more bottles coming soon. I should be good until mid April:afro:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
@Prettymetty your progress pics for Xcel 21 were amazing! I wish it worked like that for me lol. Keep us posted!

Hm I'm not sure if I can make BSL or not by the end of the year, but if you host a BSL/MBL challenge for next year, Do let me know. I'm down! :yay:
Thanks hun. I spray twice a day even when I don't want to. If I keep this up I may have a fighting chance at mbl by the end of the year. I'll definitely keep yall updated.

Next week I'm straightening my hair for Thanksgiving...I'll post a comparison from my last flat iron.

Caramel74

As we are nearing the end of our challenge, I would like to offer some encouragement to all my beautiful sisters. Don't give up, don't ever give up. Long healthy hair is wonderful. My main tip is that as one length hair grows, you are able to trim it yourself and control how much comes off so you never have to feel devastated ever again at the hands of someone who didn't understand the long strenuous journey you've endured. Love that hair girl. Ethnic women and our hair is beautiful, let it be natural. Rock that afro at home and say yup it's all mine baby! Love you all
:2inlove:

Daina

Gave my hair the works yesterday after being straight for several weeks. I was concerned about heat damage after I let my BF who is a stylist color and flat iron my hair a few weeks ago. I was also worried that she had caused mechanical damage to my ends because of her rough handling of my hair. The good news is my curls returned with a vengeance and were ready to come out and play! The verdict is still out on my ends and I am going to give them extra attention over the next month. Currently air drying twists for a twist out.

Last edited:

Caramel74

@Daina I always worry the same thing but chances are if your manipulation is once in a great while, your hair stands a very good chance of withstanding and recovering. For the most part it's when it's time after time because your hair is already weak and damaged to begin with. There are people who suffer damage after one time, but I bet there was still an underlying cause to begin with (overlapping chemical processes) or a circumstance like the heat was too high with no protectant, etc. It's always best to be extremely careful and avoid as much damage as possible. It's just not worth it unless you don't care if you have to BC and start allover again after.

You're doing all the right things! I'm glad you got to treat yourself and enjoy something different with that beautiful hard earned hair of yours. :)

Daina

@Caramel74, thank you sis! She was just so rough with the detangling process. I wash my hair in sections and normally don't have issues detangling. After about 5 minutes I took the comb and water bottle and did it myself. She has hair dresser mentality and it just reconfirmed for me that doing my own hair is always the way to go. No one is going to be as patient and as loving as you will cause they have nothing to lose. If I can get more confident and more practice trimming my hair, I'll only let her color my hair. She's my bestie and I love her but she definitely set in her salon ways.

Caramel74

@Daina Anytime sis you know dat! :sneakyhug:

You're so right about the salon mentality. We definitely have to be careful and tell them if they are doing something wrong. I should have said something when that guy was going over and over my hair w that hot A$$ iron. He won't get near my hair again, lol I recovered but I was really scared and my hair smelled burnt for days. It's just not worth it we work too hard and it takes too long.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I tried grape seed oil for the first time yesterday. I know it's early, but this could be love:2inlove:.

I used it on my ends after moisturizing and they were soft and smooth. Best of all there was no oily residue... I keep using it on my hands and nails too. I can already tell I'm going to need another bottle soon. I want to try the Napa valley brand next.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have planned out my next 4 wash days. I'm trying to rotate my conditioners and make sure my protein moisture balance is in check.

Week 1: Chroma Riche shampoo & Masquintense
Week 2: Chroma Riche shampoo & Densite mask
Week 3: Uncurly clarifying shampoo & bkt (no conditioner)
Week 4: Fluidaliste shampoo & Maskeratine