2016 Bsl/mbl Challenge

Caramel74

Thinking back, my hair could have been so much longer had I known then what I know now. It's only been a few months since I learned about build up and what hair looks and feels like when it has build up. I had a big chop about 4 years ago because of it. That and along with the hairdresser wanting to cut all my hair to the shortest nape area, AND she cut my crown area so I had to grow all them layers out again. Then I did it to myself (BC all my healthy length to shortest nape layer) about 8 months ago, except this time at least I was all one length and can finally stop cutting. I learned a few BIG and important things the hard way **sigh**
:rolleyes:

So now when my hair has buildup... I wash it. When my ends feel dry, I oil rinse. The nape hairs, I just let be and blend them in with the rest of the length. I'm cutting out direct heat to once every 3 months for a micro trim or if I need a special treat. I just CW'd with Aussie Moist, moisturized and sealed my ends with Infusium and Argan oil. My hair is currently in two high ponytails with two braids in each pony. It will air dry like that overnight and I'll wear a ponytail to work tomorrow.
:yep:

Last edited:

Caramel74

I just had to take my two high ponies w the two braids in them down and redo them. It was too tight and I couldn't stand it.
:eek:
Plus I'm afraid of the damage it can do. All good now though. This is the first time doing it with product in it. I can tell it's going to dry nicely. I'm excited to finally have my own braid out style.
:grin:

Attachments

• Winter Nighttime Protective style 29 Jan 16.jpg
    Winter Nighttime Protective style 29 Jan 16.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 23

trclemons

Today was CW Friday:
  • Pre-poo'd under my wig at work with AVJ spritz & KJ Naturals Milk & Honey on ends.
  • When I got home, I added Aubrey Organics GPB & HSR mix on ends and AO White Camellia on scalp & length for an hour under a heat cap.
  • Used CC's Naturals Scalp Scrub, CW'd with HH Totally Twisted, Joico K-pak Reconstructor & rinsed out 80% of the Elucence Balancing Conditioner.
  • LOCB'd with L = Annabelle's Honeydew LI, O = Keravada Super Gro, C = Ouidad Moisture Lock, B = Marie Dean Coconut Cream on length & KJ Naturals Milk & Honey on ends.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Going to shampoo, dc, moisturize, seal, and put my hair in twists for a twist out. Next week is SO's bday, so I wanna do a cute style with my twist out...maybe I will do a mohawk with braided sides. Haven't done one of those in a while.

Aggie

As for me today, I prepooed with Matrix Biolage Hydrasource with Aloeconitioning balm mixed with sunflower and palm oil and a dash of aloe jiuce.

It felt much better than it did last week. I suppose I can use it as a deep conditioner this way, but the prepoo is working swimmingly so why mess with a good thing?

I used Redken Time Reset shampoo (made my hair feel squeaky clean without feeling hard) and now I'm deep conditioning with Redken Time Reset Youth Revitalizer replenishing deep treatment for 20 minutes under hooded dryer.

This shampoo and treatment also have ceramides and camellia oil in them. I'm a little excited about that so we'll see how good it is for my hair once I'm done. I'm washing this out and finishing off with a palm oil rinse leaving some of it on my hair.

I'll be moisturizing with Redken Anti Snap leave in sealed with sunflower oil. That's me for my hair day.

beauti

Hi ladies! I think this is a more realistic challenge for me.

Starting length: Apl or longer

Goal month: 1st goal bsl by March
Goal month: 2nd goal mbl by june

Regimen: prepoo once a week, cowash at least 3x a week, apply products in shower on cowash days and bun.

Starting pic: in a couple days
OK I knew I wasn't crazy! I found my initial post... @Prettymetty please add me to the challenge..
I will be DCing tonight so hopefully will have a starting pic.

Daina

I GHE'd overnight with Amla, avocado and jojoba oils. This morning I pre-poo'd with Wen 613 and Vatika oil. I co-washed with Wen Fig and Tea Tree cleansing conditioners and now I have a Vatika Black Seed hair mask on. I will be rinsing in a few and then I will braid and let dry overnight and wear a braid out to church tomorrow.

morgandenae

Morgan Denae'
In dire need of a major trim(3+ inches) after this breakage fiasco. Cries ugly tears :cry: and I had such a smooth transition and hair growth thus far. Hello first and hopefully only setback :cry4:.

How would you go about this trim challenge fam. All at one? An inch each quarter. Help a sad sista out.

Caramel74

In dire need of a major trim(3+ inches) after this breakage fiasco. Cries ugly tears :cry: and I had such a smooth transition and hair growth thus far. Hello first and hopefully only setback :cry4:.

How would you go about this trim challenge fam. All at one? An inch each quarter. Help a sad sista out.
If your hair is breaking off that bad then you might want to just get rid of the problem all at once because if you don't then the breakage will keep happening and you'll end up even shorter in the long run. Just go and take off what needs to come off and start over with a healthy head of hair. 3 inches is only about 6 months of growth, so in 6 months you'll be back at APL. Also commit yourself to keeping your new healthy head of hair healthy by not doing whatever led to this situation. I'm sorry you are going through this, we've all been there one time or another. In 2006 my BSL hair was coming out in chunks by the roots because of messing around with blonde hair dyes, shampoos, and hard water. I had to cut it to shoulder or shorter and dye it black to make it as thick as possible. Now I don't dye my hair at all and just concentrate on sealing moisture into my hair, not damaging it, and being patient. Shoulder length is long enough to do a protective style. Hang in there hun and you'll feel better when you get all that damage off, it won't be as bad as you think. I BC'd 8 months ago and my hair has never been thicker and healthier.
:hug2:

morgandenae

Morgan Denae'
If your hair is breaking off that bad then you might want to just get rid of the problem all at once because if you don't then the breakage will keep happening and you'll end up even shorter in the long run. Just go and take off what needs to come off and start over with a healthy head of hair. 3 inches is only about 6 months of growth, so in 6 months you'll be back at APL. Also commit yourself to keeping your new healthy head of hair healthy by not doing whatever led to this situation. I'm sorry you are going through this, we've all been there one time or another. In 2006 my BSL hair was coming out in chunks by the roots because of messing around with blonde hair dyes, shampoos, and hard water. I had to cut it to shoulder or shorter and dye it black to make it as thick as possible. Now I don't dye my hair at all and just concentrate on sealing moisture into my hair, not damaging it, and being patient. Shoulder length is long enough to do a protective style. Hang in there hun and you'll feel better when you get all that damage off, it won't be as bad as you think. I BC'd 8 months ago and my hair has never been thicker and healthier.
:hug2:

I was not ready for that confirmation :cry2:. I'm way in my feelings. I still do not know what is/was the cause of my breakage. I treat her better than just about anything else at the moment so I don't know why she doing me so bad :angry2: . All I do for her!! Thanks for the advice you are absolutely right.

Caramel74

I was not ready for that confirmation :cry2:. I'm way in my feelings. I still do not know what is/was the cause of my breakage. I treat her better than just about anything else at the moment so I don't know why she doing me so bad :angry2: . All I do for her!! Thanks for the advice you are absolutely right.

It is usually overlapping chemical processes, build up, flatironing, dryness, too much protein, and stuff like that. Ethnic hair needs moisture to thrive. Also getting layers and bangs causes excessive shedding to the longer layers. I encourage you to find links and supportive threads in here. Alot of other women have experienced this. I included one below. I'm very sorry you are going through this.

http://blackhair.about.com/od/blackhairproblems/f/hairbreakage.htm

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse

What's causing the breakage? Have you stopped it yet? Start with a 1 inch trim and see if that helps. I would hate for you to lose that much length all at once.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
3 weeks already. This month is flying by...

Question of the week: Did you have long hair as a child?

I'm late! But yes, I did have long hair as a child.

I washed my hair today so here is my pic in the lc shirt. I want to be at line 9 by March.

I LOVE that shirt!!!! I want one!

On one hand, if the breakage is THAT severe, you should assess where it starts and cut it off. On the other hand, if you don't know the reason for the breakage, it's may keep breaking and you will be cutting for no reason. You said you transitioned, are you sure it wasn't some left over chemically-processed hair? It's so hard to pinpoint breakage, I'm sorry!

It's been TWO months since I moved back to being chemically-processed and it confirmed what I already know - my hair grows slowly, I barely have .75" of new-growth I'd reckon. I washed using the E'tae system (which I actually like a lot) and used Aphogee 2-minute reconstructer as well. I blew dry on high (EEK - won't do that again) and then did a little mini-length-check and out it into 2 large bantu knots.

I am M&S'ing every night and just got the BOMB wig from Elevatestyles.com that I am about don, it's the Outre Synthetic Lace Front Batik Bundle Hair Wig Dominican Blow Out Straight and I just took it out of the package and I LOVE IT. It looks so much like my hair, it's crazy, I am going to be washing and prepping my hair to wear this wig for awhile. Anyway, i attached a pic from this weekend, I think i see a very little growth, but may just be me getting my hopes up.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
Thanks @itsjusthair88. I got it from Just Grow Already website. Your hair looks like it has grown. It's so thick!

You think so? I can't tell and I am such a slow grower, i don't want to get my hopes up. Thanks, but pictures are deceiving, my hair is like dang cotton balls, just flaps in the wind and has ZERO weight. I am never gonna be able to do those awesome bun drop videos I drool over, because my hair is like...weightless. I hate it.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
You think so? I can't tell and I am such a slow grower, i don't want to get my hopes up. Thanks, but pictures are deceiving, my hair is like dang cotton balls, just flaps in the wind and has ZERO weight. I am never gonna be able to do those awesome bun drop videos I drool over, because my hair is like...weightless. I hate it.
Yes!! Your hair is fab! I can't wait until my hair gets thicker. Having kids changed my hair soooo much. I went from thick and coarse to fine and thin :(

trclemons

Tonight, I put Dove Nourishing Oil Care Conditioner on my braids, sat under the heat cap for 30 minutes, CW'd and rinsed it out and rinsed out 80% of Darcy's Pumpkin Conditioner.

I LOCB'd with L = Cozy Moments Protein Mist, O = Queen Curls Safflower on length, Keravada Green Tea on scalp & Sunny Isle Lavender JBCO on edges, C = Soultanical's Mane 'n Thick, B = Marie Dean's Coconut Cream on ends.

Caramel74

I don't think I'm going to be able to wait until the end of March to trim. I seen at least one split and a few really thin ends and spot that could use a small snip when I was combing my conditioner through my hair in the shower. As much as I hate to flatiron myself, I'm going to have to do it tonight after work and just dust the ends a tiny bit. It's difficult sometimes not having blow outs to look forward to. The beginning of April seems like forever away. Maybe my flatiron and trim will come out really nice and it'll get it out of my system, or I'll hate it and can't wait to go back to curly. I'm hoping I'm happy about it. I just looked at the ruler, I don't want to take off no more than a 1/4 inch. Well at least that's good about doing it yourself, you take off what you want. I can't take the chance of it splitting or breaking because then I'll lose what I have and I worked really hard for it.

Last edited: