2016 Challenge - Cowash, Cocleanse, Mud Wash, Honey Cleanse, & Others

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
*Copied/modified from 2015 challenge*

Okay Ladies, let's keep it up in 2016 with our Co-Washing, Co-Cleansing, Mud Washing, Honey Cleansing or any other alternative form of cleaning our hair and scalp while retaining maximum moisture. Maximum length retention, lush, thick ends and healthy, moisturized tresses are the goals here!

Please post updates whenever you partake in any of the mentioned activities. At a minimum, weekly and/or monthly updates are needed to keep this thread active.

This challenge is to motivate and encourage each other to get that maximum moisture and meet our goals. It will also help us learn different techniques and methodology and what seems to work best for different types of hair.

This challenge will end December 31, 2016.

RULES:
Co-Wash/Co-Cleanse/Mud Wash/Honey Cleanse/Other minimum 1x/wkly. More if you'd like! You don't have to do all of them, just choose the method(s) that suit you and your hair.

Report what products or ingredients you are using, how your hair is responding, and any ups and downs you'd like to share with us regarding the methods.

MUST ANSWER THE FOLLOWING 10 QUESTIONS
1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.):
2) Current hair length:
3) Ultimate hair length:
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc):
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture:
6) Number of times per week you will do this:
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using:
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc):
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use:
10) List shampoo:

Join by answering the questions above.

trclemons

1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.): Natural
2) Current hair length: APL
3) Ultimate hair length: TBL
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): Retain 6 inches & reach MBL.
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: Cowash, scalp scrub, mud wash, clay wash & shampoo.
6) Number of times per week you will do this: Cowash on Tuesdays and alternate between cowash or mud wash, clay wash or shampoo on Saturdays. Scalp scrubs are used biweekly on cowash Saturdays.
7) Products and/or ingredients you will be using: I am a product junkie, so I will use a variety of products.
8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc): For cowash & clay wash days, I pre-poo with conditioner under a heat cap. For mud wash & shampoo days, I pre-poo overnight with oil, add on a DC the next day & get under a heat cap, use a reconstructor & end with an ACV rinse. Quarterly, I add ayurvedic powders or scalp detox to my DC. Everyday, I massage my scalp & baggy overnight. Monthly, I use the inversion method for 7 consecutive days.
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: Twice a month
10) List shampoo: I am a product junkie, so I use a variety of shampoos.

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.):
Natural

2) Current hair length:
APL stretched

3) Ultimate hair length:
SL unstretched (curly)

4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc):
Less hair on the floor, my hair is everywhere. I've been through this before. I'll get it back.

5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture:
Cowash X1 week
Cocleanse X1 week
Bentonite quarterly

6) Number of times per week you will do this:
2x per week
Cowash X1
Cocleanse X1

Honeyshandmade Knot in your Fro Joe
Honeyshandmade Knot Going Bananas
Honeyshandmade various cowashers and cleansing creams
J Monique Naturals various protein dc's
Bentonite clay
Bobeam mudwash bars
Agave Nectar

8) Anything you will be doing just prior or after (deep conditioning, hot oil, ayurvedic treatment, oil rinsing etc):
Hot oil treatment before
DC after

9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use:
N/A

10) List shampoo:
N/A

Last edited:

trclemons

TUESDAY: I put Honey's Handmade Cherry Almond Tapioca on my plaits, sat under the heat cap for 30 minutes & CW'd it out. My hair responded really well.

TODAY: I cleansed my scalp with TGIN sulfate-free shampoo and I CW'd my length with Alikay Cowash. The TGIN cleansed well and it wasn't stripping and the Alikay smelled nice, but it didn't wow me.

trclemons

Today, I put Honey's Handmade Cherry Almond Tapioca on my braids again, sat under the heat cap for 30 minutes, CW'd and rinsed it out.

trclemons

Happy New Year Ladies!!!

I decided to kick off the year with a bang and I pre-poo'd for 1 hour under a heat cap with ORS DC & Soultanicals Scalp Detox and co-washed with Jakeala Flax Mallow Conditioner.

faithVA

1) State of hair (relaxed, natural, etc.): Natural
2) Current hair length: Neck Length
3) Ultimate hair length: WL
4) Year end hair goal (length, density, softness factor, ends maintenance etc): Full SL in the back, grazing SL elsewhere. Fully hydrated hair with healthy ends. Major reduction to split ends
5) Method you will be using to cleanse your hair and scalp while retaining moisture: I am doing MHM for the most part and washing/cowashing/rinsing my hair every 3 to 4 days. It varies on what I use based on what week it is.
6) Number of times per week you will do this: 2x
Terraveda Organixs MHM products for low porosity
or home made bentonite or sodium bentonite clay
This varies as well. I am doing protein once a month. I am doing Olaplex treatments once a month. And I am doing a semi-permanent color every 3 weeks.
9) Frequency of traditional shampoo use: Only before treatments that require my hair to be clarified or once a month.
10) List shampoo: Elasta QP, As I Am Cleansing Conditioner, ION Hard Water Conditioner

faithVA

I colored my hair with ION Semi Permanent black so I did a mudwash with rhassoul clay first to clarify.

trclemons

Tonight, I put Dove Nourishing Oil Care Conditioner on my braids, sat under the heat cap for 30 minutes, CW'd and rinsed it out.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Cleansed with:
Honey Handmades Buttermilk & Spiked Rum Cleansing Conditioner

Final R/O with:
Curl Junkie's Argan & Olive

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Used:
Honey Handmades Buttermilk and Spiked Rum - Cleansing Conditioner

Final R/O:
Hairveda's Acai Phyto Berry

faithVA

Same ole thing.

Cowashed with TVO Apple Cowash
Used TVO Curl Max Leave-in.
Twisting with TVO Curlfriends Gelee
I'm going to try the TVO Sweet Georgia Peach Hair Butter on my ends.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Cleansed with:

Pre-Rx with Mission:Condition's Terra Forma Pre-Poo Treatment
Honey Handmades Buttermilk & Spiked Rum Cleansing Conditioner

trclemons

Last night, I put Dove Nourishing Oil Care Conditioner on my braids, sat under the heat cap for 30 minutes, CW'd and rinsed it out.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
I will be cleansing/conditioning with my sodium bentonite/coconut water mix today followed by a heaping dose of KKKT.