2016 Milestone Challenge...(not A Length Challenge. No Length Goals)

trclemons

I'm in with the following style goals:

2nd Quarter

Do a roller set

Do a twist out

Do a wash n' go

Do a bantu knot out

4th Quarter

Do a flat twist

Do a braid out

Do a perm rod set

Do finger coils

@faithVA: Thanks for the reminder. This quarter, I did rollersets, twistouts & wash 'n gos. So far, twistouts are my favorite, but I will try my last style, the bantu knot out, this weekend.

Also, I don't have any goals for the 3rd quarter.

Evolving78

I still need to get a steamer. Don't know when that will be.
I'm in lazy mode right now, so I'm just gonna do low maintenance for now. Plus, I'm working on maintaining moisture balance.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I finally reached my Q1 goal of wearing my own hair most of the time. I am mostly wearing buns and updos. Occasionally I'll wear it down in a braidout or twistout.

Getting to know my own hair is the best thing I can do for overall hair health and retention. These last 2 quarters I intend to retain 2 inches and try a few new hairstyles.

LdyKamz

My LONG update below. I think I've actually achieved some of my milestones. I'm so completely shocked. I thought they were going to be the same all the way through to the 4th quarter.
  • Maintain styles at least 3-4 days a week so I'm manipulating my hair less. Only styling 2x a week max. - ACHIEVED - I have really only been touching my hair twice a week and not embarrassed to leave the house.
  • DC at least 2x a week to get my moisture levels back up - ACHIEVED - I've developed a decent balance with this. Mid week is my cowash day but they are deep conditioners and I usually leave them for at least 10 minutes while in the shower. This is a habit now.
  • Stay on a regular trimming schedule. I'm aiming for every 3-4 months. - I'm still so crappy with trimming and I've been trimming more than that. Think I've been going about this all wrong. I think I have to move this to the 4th quarter and see how I did then.
  • Main goal is to get nape and entire crown area into a braid around the perimeter of my head. - Not quite achieved but almost there I think.Will move this to 3rd quarter
  • Try one new style a week. Since I'm styling 2x a week after dcing I can practice that style at least twice during the week. I'll be stalking the board and youtube for ideas for my length. -ACHIEVED - I played around with styles a lot this quarter. Doesn't matter that at this length that no matter what I do it looks like the same style to me. Other people disagree. I did perm rod sets, flexi rod sets, twist outs, bantu knot outs, twist and curls. My fave is the bantu knot outs. I love the curl those give me.
  • Go the entire quarter without wearing a headband or some sort of band around my head. This might be the cause of my crown issues so I have to stop cold turkey. -I don't want to toot my own horn too soon but I went a few days here and there without the headbands and now this month I've gone a couple days in a row. I think I can maintain this but I will move it to the 3rd quarter just in case.
  • Get thicker hair - not exactly sure how to do this or how to measure how much thickness I've gained but a milestone nonetheless - Still working on this.

3rd QUARTER GOALS: - *If I think of anymore I will edit this post.

• Go the entire quarter without wearing a headband or some sort of band around my head
  • Get thicker hair
  • No heat - except for 1 time in August to trim and I think that's at the end of this quarter.
  • Get the perimeter of my head into a braid. I'm almost there.
4th QUARTER GOALS:
  • Trim only 3-4 months. Need to cut out being scissor happy

faithVA

My LONG update below. I think I've actually achieved some of my milestones. I'm so completely shocked. I thought they were going to be the same all the way through to the 4th quarter.
  • Maintain styles at least 3-4 days a week so I'm manipulating my hair less. Only styling 2x a week max. - ACHIEVED - I have really only been touching my hair twice a week and not embarrassed to leave the house.
  • DC at least 2x a week to get my moisture levels back up - ACHIEVED - I've developed a decent balance with this. Mid week is my cowash day but they are deep conditioners and I usually leave them for at least 10 minutes while in the shower. This is a habit now.
  • Stay on a regular trimming schedule. I'm aiming for every 3-4 months. - I'm still so crappy with trimming and I've been trimming more than that. Think I've been going about this all wrong. I think I have to move this to the 4th quarter and see how I did then.
  • Main goal is to get nape and entire crown area into a braid around the perimeter of my head. - Not quite achieved but almost there I think.Will move this to 3rd quarter
  • Try one new style a week. Since I'm styling 2x a week after dcing I can practice that style at least twice during the week. I'll be stalking the board and youtube for ideas for my length. -ACHIEVED - I played around with styles a lot this quarter. Doesn't matter that at this length that no matter what I do it looks like the same style to me. Other people disagree. I did perm rod sets, flexi rod sets, twist outs, bantu knot outs, twist and curls. My fave is the bantu knot outs. I love the curl those give me.
  • Go the entire quarter without wearing a headband or some sort of band around my head. This might be the cause of my crown issues so I have to stop cold turkey. -I don't want to toot my own horn too soon but I went a few days here and there without the headbands and now this month I've gone a couple days in a row. I think I can maintain this but I will move it to the 3rd quarter just in case.
  • Get thicker hair - not exactly sure how to do this or how to measure how much thickness I've gained but a milestone nonetheless - Still working on this.

3rd QUARTER GOALS: - *If I think of anymore I will edit this post.

• Go the entire quarter without wearing a headband or some sort of band around my head
  • Get thicker hair
  • No heat - except for 1 time in August to trim and I think that's at the end of this quarter.
  • Get the perimeter of my head into a braid. I'm almost there.
4th QUARTER GOALS:
  • Trim only 3-4 months. Need to cut out being scissor happy
:yay: Glad you are making some progress and its only the middle of the year.

faithVA

I didn't reach any of my 2nd quarter milestones which had me a little bummed. Just trucking along. I will see where I'm at in September or maybe my next length check in August.

destinyseeker

I'm doing great with my goals so far!!
I've added a mid week co-wash/shampoo with deep conditioner in the mix.
My hair is feeling and looking healthier and if length comes as a result... I'm here for that too. :clap::happydance::yahoo:

-I've kept my hands out of my hair so much and worn it in two strand twists with the occasional twist out
-I trimmed my raggedy ends during summer solstice
-My hair is thicker, my crown and edges are filling in nicely and I've retained a little growth. Come on summer growth spurt:beach:
-This quarter I'm concentrating on...
moisturizing and sealing twice a week and my crown daily
-being consistent getting in a mid-week co-wash
-Washing my hair in sections
Thanks for this challenge @faithVA ! :gorgeous:

LdyKamz

-I've kept my hands out of my hair so much and worn it in two strand twists with the occasional twist out
-I trimmed my raggedy ends during summer solstice
-My hair is thicker, my crown and edges are filling in nicely and I've retained a little growth. Come on summer growth spurt:beach:
-This quarter I'm concentrating on...
moisturizing and sealing twice a week and my crown daily
-being consistent getting in a mid-week co-wash
-Washing my hair in sections
Thanks for this challenge @faithVA ! :gorgeous:
What are you doing that you think is contributing to thicker hair and your crown and edges filling in. That would be helpful to my milestones as well.

I haven't worn a headband since my last post. Is that 2 weeks yet? The back of my hair looks nice and thick. I'm not sure if it actually looks thick or if I'm getting used to wearing my hair with no headband.

Still working on thickening up my hair. I feel like I'm going in the opposite direction and my hair is thinning. I have been stressed lately and eating like crap. Have to fix this.

LdyKamz

Prepooing now and the trouble spots of my hair look full and fluffy. I think I've gained some growth and/or thickness in those spots. I think I have to just come to accept that my hair does best with no heat. I think I can still straighten responsibly but now I know I have options and styles for my curly hair. I'm loving how thick and full those spots are looking now.

faithVA

I haven't accomplished many milestones this year :sad: But there are still many weeks left. I don't think I will accomplish many in the 3rd quarter either. But I'm hoping the 4th quarter will bring great progress and results.

For right now I am just sticking to flat twist and I will check for some milestones at the end of August.

LdyKamz

The only milestone I'm doing well on is no heat. And that's because it's too hot and I'm too lazy. I've worn a headband maybe twice this month. Still proud of myself. The back of my hair has pretty much grown in so I'm over my anxiety about how terrible it looks. Now to focus on my thinning edges.

LdyKamz

I feel like I'm on auto pilot with my milestones. Since I've achieved some of the big ones there really isn't much to report regularly. Only if I slip up which I haven't.

I still have absolutely no idea how to get thicker hair. Is this just not possible? Massages makes my hair appear thicker but I think that's because the oils are thick? I don't know. This milestone might be a no go.

LdyKamz

Sitting here binge watching Wentworth on Netflix after a workout. Playing in my hair contemplating washing it and before you know it I have 2 braids going down the back on each side in the nape area!! They are raggedy braids but I'm so happy. Was trying to post a pic but you can't really see them.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Third Quarter (July, August, September)
Detangling Goal:
(1) Section hair into 11 sections using butterfly clips in 5 minutes or less;
(2) FULLY detangle hair with little breakage in 60 minutes or less
Consistency Goal:
(1) GHE every night
(2) Wash ONLY on Sundays and Wednesdays . . . Refresh on all other days​
Styling Goal:
Make my wash-and-go cuter . . . Slick hair somewhere??? Part differently??? Use bobby pins strategically??? (Get ideas from YouTube)​
Purchasing Habits Goal:
Restrict any purchasing for the rest of this year to either:
-- Oils or holy grail or staple products that run out,
-- Ouidad double-row detangling comb,
-- a steller detangling product,
-- a steamer if my stylist says it will go far in reducing my tangling or in improving detangling
-- and/or nanosmoothing maintenance products IF and ONLY IF products in my current stash won't do​

Fourth Quarter (October, November, December)
Same as above EXCEPT aim to getting detangling time under 35 minutes :toocool:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Third Quarter (July, August, September)
Detangling Goal:
(1) Section hair into 11 sections using butterfly clips in 5 minutes or less;
(2) FULLY detangle hair with little breakage in 60 minutes or less
Consistency Goal:
(1) GHE every night
(2) Wash ONLY on Sundays and Wednesdays . . . Refresh on all other days​
Styling Goal:
Make my wash-and-go cuter . . . Slick hair somewhere??? Part differently??? Use bobby pins strategically??? (Get ideas from YouTube)​
Purchasing Habits Goal:
Restrict any purchasing for the rest of this year to either:
-- Oils or holy grail or staple products that run out,
-- Ouidad double-row detangling comb,
-- a steller detangling product,
-- a steamer if my stylist says it will go far in reducing my tangling or in improving detangling
-- and/or nanosmoothing maintenance products IF and ONLY IF products in my current stash won't do​

Fourth Quarter (October, November, December)
Same as above EXCEPT aim to getting detangling time under 35 minutes :toocool:

:pulpdance: :cup::bighug:

MAJOR PROGRESS TOWARD A MILESTONE TODAY!!!

Detangling went AWESOMELY well today. I typed up the (many) details here: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/nail-your-regimen-challenge-2016.778463/page-4.

GIST: I figured out what to put on my hair to effectively use the Wet Brush to detangle my hair. Result: MINIMAL hair loss and better faster and more thorough detangling. :smile: Happy lady over here! :smile:

LdyKamz

**UPDATE** on 3rd QUARTER GOALS: -
  • Go the entire quarter without wearing a headband or some sort of band around my head - So I've failed at this because I didn't go the whole quarter without wearing a headband. The only times I've worn them though is when I'm being lazy and my hair isn't done. Those are the days I do a puff.
  • Get thicker hair - My hair doesn't seem to be getting any thicker but I'm not really doing anything to achieve that.
  • No heat - except for 1 time in August to trim and I think that's at the end of this quarter. - Did good with this. I will be using heat for the first time since I posted the new goals in June. And I'm only doing it for the length check and it's back to curly.
  • Get the perimeter of my head into a braid. I'm almost there. - The perimeter can get into a tiny sickly braid that starts to get harder to catch in the back of my head where my nape is shorter. I don't intend to incorporate the braid into a style at all. I just wanted to be able to measure length in the trouble spots this way and they have certainly gotten longer.
4th QUARTER GOALS:
  • Trim only 3-4 months. Need to cut out being scissor happy - Did one trim since my last bout with the scissors in May. So I won't be putting scissors to my head again until December.

caliscurls

Update:
  1. Continue wearing loose twists until at least June of Q2. This has been the best protective style choice for me so far.
    • Still going strong! They really help me to have a low maintenance natural hair life and plenty of easy style options.
  2. Q2: Be able to re-do my twists in 6 hours or less (entire head) without sacrificing quality/care
    • Beginning to think this may not be feasible :( especially as my hair gets longer. It only takes less time if I
        • Retwist weekly (which actually isn't too bad if I split it across 2-3 days) or
        • Use a Denman brush but I think it may have caused some damage the last few times I used it so it's in time out :catfight:
  3. Learn 1 new style per quarter
    • Have been wearing my hair like this only French braided down the middle for the top. The back is down when freshly twisted (usually a weekend) and in a bun during the week. The top I pretty much leave alone unless taking down to moisturize seal. Nothing fancy but it's better than my usual 24/7 bun

Update:
Still holding it down with the loose twists. They've really spoiled me so there's no need for them to be a challenge...just how I do my hair now.

Re-twisting is still taking 7 to 8 hours spread over 2 days. I don't mind it anymore since it's so easy to "hide" the fact I'm re-doing my hair.

Styles - I'm getting better at this! Have worn a couple of different styles over the past two months. Just need to remember them after I've been in a bun for a couple of weeks..,maybe I should make myself a gallery of styles.

LdyKamz

Update:
Still holding it down with the loose twists. They've really spoiled me so there's no need for them to be a challenge...just how I do my hair now.

Re-twisting is still taking 7 to 8 hours spread over 2 days. I don't mind it anymore since it's so easy to "hide" the fact I'm re-doing my hair.

Styles - I'm getting better at this! Have worn a couple of different styles over the past two months. Just need to remember them after I've been in a bun for a couple of weeks..,maybe I should make myself a gallery of styles.
I have a hair album in my phone and I look back on days where my hair looked fantastic and I check my hair journal to see what I did so I could replicate it. It works! I used to think that was doing too much but it is the only thing that has helped me keep track.

LdyKamz

I put my hair into 4 sections to blow dry and I combed the nape out. I always do because it's short and I don't like to put stress on it by including it in the ponytails. Looked a little longer than last I remember so I tried to braid it. My entire nape went into a braid across so easily! So I combed out the perimeter of my head and tried to braid going around and I did it. Nearly 3 weeks ago it was harder to catch and the braid looked sickly. Now...another goal crossed off the list. I'm so amazed. I'll have to think of some new ones for the 4th quarter. When does this one end? At the end of the month or next?

faithVA

I put my hair into 4 sections to blow dry and I combed the nape out. I always do because it's short and I don't like to put stress on it by including it in the ponytails. Looked a little longer than last I remember so I tried to braid it. My entire nape went into a braid across so easily! So I combed out the perimeter of my head and tried to braid going around and I did it. Nearly 3 weeks ago it was harder to catch and the braid looked sickly. Now...another goal crossed off the list. I'm so amazed. I'll have to think of some new ones for the 4th quarter. When does this one end? At the end of the month or next?
Great. Yay, glad you met a milestone.

The next session starts October 1st.

LdyKamz

Since this thread doesn't include any length goals I'm having a hard time coming up with things I want for my hair for 4th quarter. The really important ones I've met. Maybe I could really buckle down and just work on getting thicker hair but there's probably no real way to do that anyway. My hair has progressed nicely and it seems to be healthy. Only thing hoping for now is length.

faithVA

Since this thread doesn't include any length goals I'm having a hard time coming up with things I want for my hair for 4th quarter. The really important ones I've met. Maybe I could really buckle down and just work on getting thicker hair but there's probably no real way to do that anyway. My hair has progressed nicely and it seems to be healthy. Only thing hoping for now is length.
Don't force it if you don't have anything. The purpose of this challenge is to give us something to focus on while we are trying to get to a length goal. Sometimes there are things you can't do at one length but with each inch you might be able to do something different with your hair. It allows us to celebrate the little things in between lengths. But if you don't have any ideas don't force it.

LdyKamz

Don't force it if you don't have anything. The purpose of this challenge is to give us something to focus on while we are trying to get to a length goal. Sometimes there are things you can't do at one length but with each inch you might be able to do something different with your hair. It allows us to celebrate the little things in between lengths. But if you don't have any ideas don't force it.
Yeah I was going to say I probably wouldn't join you all for the 4th quarter. You're right about not forcing it because I styled tonight since I got home too late yesterday and I couldn't find a single thing to complain about but length. Haha But I'm not counting myself out. We'll see.

trclemons

What about attempting some styles you've never done before.