2016 - Steaming To Boost Moisture

Rozlewis

Hi Ladies,

The beginning of a new year gives us an opportunity to set new goals. If you desire to retain moisture, increase length and reduce breakage you should join us. Steam treatments have many benefits and can help you better manage your new growth which results in easier detangling sessions with soft shiny hair.

This is the challenge for you!

The New Year is fast approaching don’t let it go by without realizing the many benefits of steaming your hair. I am ready to steam my way through the New Year. Will you join me?

To join please thank the OP and post the answers to the following:

1. How often you will steam?
2. What method are you using to steam?
3. What products will you steam with?

The only rule is to try to check in at least once monthly and share your progress with us. Progress pictures are encouraged but not required.

The benefits of steaming include:

1. Moisture, Moisture, Moisture!!
2. Increased Shine
3. Increased manageability of new growth
4. Softer hair
5. Less hair breakage
6. Decrease in dandruff caused by dry scalp
7. Easier detangling

I have tried to include everyone who actively participated in the 2015 challenge but please forgive me if I left anyone off.

Challengers:
@FollicleFanatic
@IDareT'sHair
@Alta Angel
@CodeRed
@SpeechieGirl
@Cattypus1
@SweetlyCurly
@JJamiah
@pre_medicalrulz
@Nightingale
@lushlady
@jbwphoto1
@Tanji
@Nichelle_jb
@ElizaBlue
@cynd
@candita
@sexypebbly

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I'm in!

I will steam once a week with my LCL Beauty Pro 1037 steamer.

My steaming DCs will be GVP Conditioning Balm + Oil or ITDF Intense Moisture Cream.

CodeRed

1. How often you will steam? Once a week, possibly more but going to try to stick to that
2. What method are you using to steam? Standing head steamer
3. What products will you steam with? Starting in January I'll only be steaming with Mane n' Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner. Will do different Mane n' Tail conditioners until my next relaxer (beginning of April) to see if it actually does increase growth. Until January I'm experimenting with Alterna Caviar Replenishing Masque and Joico Moisture Recovery Balm

Desert Skye

Imma stay steaming in 2016. Not only am I steaming my hair, I am also steaming my face with a facial steamer.

I will steam at least once a week

I am using LCL standing steamer

I will be using a variety of DC

Last edited:

athenat

I'll be joining, I normally steam weekly and I am addicted. I use whatever conditioner I have on hand. I have a LCL stand up steamer but I think I will be buying another one, the water is not dripping in the little bottle and overflows at time... Well I have had it for the past 4 years. Happy steaming everyone!

Misseyl

I'm in. I use to steam every week but I realized that my hair does not need washing every week and to prevent damage/breakage I choose to wash every two weeks. Therefore, I will consistently
Apply a combination of oils overnight on hair;
Steam in my conditioner using Huetiful Steamer,
Moisturize and seal every time I do a twist out;
Do a protein treatment every six weeks;
Do a Henna treatment every 16 weeks.:afro:

ladybevy

I'm in

1. How often you will steam? Weekly
2. What method are you using to steam? Q Redew
3. What products will you steam with? Variety of DC's with oils

SimplyWhole

Participating

How often you will steam? Once or twice a week
2. What method are you using to steam? Standing portable steamer
3. What products will you steam with? Clay

Rozlewis

Hello Ladies,

Where are y'all buying your standing hair steamers from? Also how long have you owned it?

@cocomama

Hi - I purchased my steam (Pibbs) from a seller on Amazon. I have owned it for about 2 years. Works perfectly. Good luck with your search for a steamer. There are a lot of good brands out there.

Rozlewis

Steaming right now with Silk Dreams Shea What Deux and Naturelle Grow's Chamomile and Burdock DC. I only had a little of the Silk Dreams left. Also, since I used two difference DC it was clear to see that the Shea What Deux is thicker and hard to apply compared to the Naturelle Grow. That DC was like applying butter. It was easy and I felt like I covered every strand. I think this may be my staple protein free DC.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Steaming right now with Silk Dreams Shea What Deux and Naturelle Grow's Chamomile and Burdock DC. I only had a little of the silk dreams left. Also, since I used two difference DC it was clear to see that the Shea What Deux is thicker and hard to apply compared tot he Naturelle Grow. That DC was like applying butter. It was easy and i felt like I covered every strand. I think this may be my staple protein free DC.

@Rozlewis
Nice Review:yep:

MizzBFly

I've had my steamer for 2 years now but I haven't used it as frequently as I should please add me to the challenge with me being a new natural I think steaming would benefit me so much more and I plan to do it once or twice a week. I try not to manipulate my hair if its not needed but then again, I know steaming would probably be in the best interest of my hair totally.

I plan to use a mix of DC with oils

cocomama

Ok Ladies,

I just dusted off my Huetiful steamer, which I purchased about 4 years ago lol. I mean I literally just pull it out of the bottom of my hall closet. Anyway to my amazement it still works!! So I will be joining the challenge as well. I think I will us silk dreams mocha treatment at least every other week and try to steam twice a week with homemade/commercial conditioners. Thanks OP for starting this thread :band:

sexypebbly

I'll join. Will steam once a week or once every two weeks depending on my schedule and will be using different dc's with various oils and sometimes honey. Today I'm steaming with silk dreams Shea what with annabelle's perfect blends oil and jakela sweet thang honey mask

L.Brown1114

about once or twice a week

I'm using a handheld clothing steamer to refresh my hair I between my wash days. I'll reapply my products and re twist my hair instead of co wash. I also want to steam weekly with and actually steamer on top of that, but I'm afraid that's too much steaming in a week.

Curl junkies curl rehab and joiko k-pak deep conditioning balm if I choose to DC with it.

I'm adding KKKT and soon mango butter to seal (once I find some) after I steam

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
about once or twice a week

I'm using a handheld clothing steamer to refresh my hair I between my wash days. I'll reapply my products and re twist my hair instead of co wash. I also want to steam weekly with and actually steamer on top of that, but I'm afraid that's too much steaming in a week.

Curl junkies curl rehab and joiko k-pak deep conditioning balm if I choose to DC with it.

I'm adding KKKT and soon mango butter to seal (once I find some) after I steam

Is that safe? You're not scared of potentially burning/scalding yourself?