2016 Use Up The Stash Challenge

faithVA

Washed again tonight. Cowashed with the diluted Naturelle Grow. Did a mud wash. Then gelled with Curl Magic. I have one use of the NG :yay: then I will switch over to the Trader Joe's.

I went to a hair show over the weekend and bought a gel, moisturizer and spray from Jaded so my stash isn't getting any smaller :ohwell: But I hope to get rid of products I don't want to repurchase.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Used up my SM Honey and Manuka mask. I had to be heavy handed with it, but there wasn't even close to another use left.

Almost finished up my prepoo oil mix but didn't. Don't you HATE it when you're thisclose to finishing up a product that you really want to get rid of. I don't want it around next week so I'm going to use it on my nails and cuticles and hopefully when I prepoo next week I can use the oil I've decided is my staple.

Anaisin

Did anyone contact her? I am curious

If you list your new or gently used products on this new site https://hairproductswapshop.sharetribe.com

To trade or sell. She'll send you free products from her natural hair product line. This is for your first listing only. Ends the 21st I think. Then it says if you don't like her products you can sell them or trade then on there

faithVA

Used up the Naturelle Grow conditioner. Now I will focus on the Trader Joes and the Teraveda Carmeltini. I think I can use up both of those by the end of the year.

I have two more weeks of just mud and gel and then I will switch back over to shampoo, leave-ins and cream based stylers.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wavey:

I am beginning to get a handle on this stash. :happydance: Baby steps!

Okay: On to strategy now that I've captured the stash in writing.

STRATEGIES FOR PARING DOWN THE STASH:
  1. Samples: Exclude them. Don't even worry about 'em. Just let them be.
  2. Smart categories: Determine what spoils more quickly and thus needs to be used, determine likely donation candidates, determine what needs to keep being trialed so that donation status can be assigned or not, and determine what I'm NOT even trying to use up because it's just good to have them there. :yep: (Feeling better ALREADY!)
  3. Trial something at LEAST once a week so as to move things to the the "Donate this!" list regularly.
  4. Keep honing, updating, and making more and more accurate my list of holy grails and staples so that I understand that I really, really, really don't NEED to trial out of curiosity any more
  5. Purchasing: Purchase at this point for VERY SPECIFIC and important reasons and needs. Examples: Permitted to repurchases staples and holy grails. Permitted to try Netwurks to try to fill in edges and repair ends. Permitted to try Jakeala products to facilitate modified MHM. Permitted to purchase originally recommended MHM products if that fails. Permitted to try and find a replacement for Oyin Hair Dew to escape the smell. Permitted to try and find a more cost-effective clay wash.
Here we go:

Products That Need to Be Used Up Fast and/or Products I Need To Use So They Don't Spoil
  1. Bekura Y.A.M. (repurchase-worthy)
  2. TerraVeda Good Earth Mud Mask (possible repurchase)
  3. TerraVeda Quinoa Deep Conditioner (good but can get something similar OTG)
  4. Soultanicals Fluff-a-Licious Curl Nutricious
  5. Bekura Honey Latte Milk (smells heavenly and is good, but not a repurchase: can get something less expensive OTG)
  6. Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream
  7. Sitrinillah Deep Conditioner (nice, but SM hipo is just as good and is OTG)
  8. TerraVeda Carmel-tini
Products I Can Try Repurposing
  1. Bekura Apple & Sorghum Supple Hair Syrup:
    Problem: I don't like the smell and it's thick and solid-y with little movement
    Possible way to salvage this product: Put bottle in cup of warm water to melt to possibly use as nighttime end protectant and/or prepoo oil / detangling aid until Soultanicals oil is (re)purchased???
  2. Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture-Seal Finishing Elixir
    Problem: I hardly ever think to use it, mainly because I was doing wash and go's
    Possible solution: Remember to use it now to add sheen to the braid-out ponytail puffs I'm doing more and more (to keep hair stretched and tangle-reduced); use it to protect ends maybe, and try to keep ends from knotting???
Products Possibly Good for Donation
  1. Design Essentials Natural Honey Curlforming Custard
  2. Curls Goddess Curls Botanical Gelle
  3. Framesi Color Lover Moisture Rich Masque (decent, but makes my scalp itch and has a slightly bothersome chemically smell)
  4. KeraVeda Crème Brulee (smell is nice but waaaaay too intense for me)
  5. Taliah Waajid Curl Sealer (not the best ingredients for my regimen)
  6. Shea Moisture Nourish & Silken Styling Gel-Cream :down: (overwhelming, not-good smell)
  7. Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (on the fence: just okay but should be great for my hair, especially with my recent transition from wng's to braid-outs)
Products I Haven't Trialed Enough, Especially Since My First-Time, Hair-Transforming use of the Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener Treatment
  1. Soultanicals Hair Blaze Curl Glaze (beautiful curls; soft hold [too soft?]; may not have defined roots)
  2. Shea Moisture JBCO Strengthen & Grow Leave-in Conditioner SAMPLE
  3. Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water "Style Setter"
  4. Bekura Palm Tapioca Deluxe Hair Buttercream
  5. (Annabelle's) PerfectBlends Conditioning Souffle
  6. Uncle Funky's Daughter Supercurl Miracle Moisture Cream
  7. Giovanni Direct Leave-in Weightless Moisture Conditioner (KCKT is superior, had major slip but sat on hair)
  8. Shea Moisture Coconut Fusion Masque
  9. Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Marfura Oil Masque
  10. Camille Rose Naturals Curl Love Milk
  11. Kinky Curly Come Clean
Products in This Category That Are Good Candidates for Donation
  1. As I Am Curling Jelly (flaked, if I recall???)
  2. Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Deep Conditioner
  3. Yes to Carrots Nourishing Conditioner (first use = meh)
Products I'm Not Trying to Use Up
  1. All staples and holy grails
  2. Products I would use to care for wigs
  3. Oyin Hair Dew (keeping small amount left in case my hair gets dry)
  4. ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo (keep around because chelates)
  5. DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture-Seal Gel
  6. Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner (with argan oil)
  7. Wetline Extreme Styling Gel -- Extra Hold (not the best ingredients but may reduce tangling???)
  8. VO5 conditioners x3

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
For the next month it's going to be unlikely that I get the opportunity to trial too many products (if any, really) to see if they can go into the donation bin:

This is because starting in November, my regimen plans are to do a month of a Netwurks/MHM blended regimen to see if I can fill in my edges, thicken my hair, repair my ends -- all to reduce knotting and tangling and hair loss OR prepare my edges for being able to handle a relaxer again.

It's important to spend this November doing this, because I scheduled a relaxer in December--after three years working hard to go/be natural--due to my issues with tangling and detangling time and hair loss. I might cancel the relaxer if I can get a handle on the tangling, hair loss, and duration of the tangling sessions. Eke!: So there is a lot riding on my discipline with the regimen. So it's not the time to be trialing all over the place. :smile:

The Netwurks/MHM -month long regimen is going to require DISCIPLINE and CONSISTENCY . . . and SIMPLICITY. :look: Wish me focus and discipline!

Smiley79

I haven't been keeping track with updates, but I am checking in to say that I have been usiing up my stash. I still have a long way to go, but I have practically stopped buying products for many months now. Now, I just shop my stash and work with what I have until I'm done with my products. As much as I love being a product junkie, I'm kind of tired of that life, lol. My goal is to only purchase my staple products, but be a product junkie of sample/mini size versions of other products.

@YvetteWithJoy I love your product list!

trclemons

Used up my Shea Hot Oil, but I bought 3 Quemet Biologic samples (amla & olive, burdock root & cocoa tree). I also bought Keirenae Replenishing Conditioner and they sent me a sample of their Honey Dipped Butter.

I wasn't planning to purchase from new product lines until black Friday, but the get 2 free and free shipping got me hook line and sinker.

faithVA

Washing tonight. I detangled with Trader Joes. Rinsed and used Olaplex #3. Still have a few uses of that left. Shampooed with Creme of Nature. I now have the Teraveda Organix in. I was heavy handed with it. I think I have just one more use left. I plan to color after I rinse out the Carmeltini. I mix my color with conditioner so I'm going to use up the remainder of the Trader Joe's Nourish Spa that is in the bottle. That will just leave me with the little bit that is in the shower. I will use that to detangle next time I wash.

Not using up anything else in October but that Trader Joes will be gone in November :yay: And I will probably try to use up the Carmeltini as well. I'm going to use the Creme of Nature leave-in tonight as well. I might be able to use that bottle up in November.

It's feeling good to use stuff up.

BrownSkinPoppin

formerly NaturallyBri87
Time to update!! As mentioned up thread I've used up my sm yucca and balboa shampoo,a bottle of avocado oil and ny generic j-coi (sp) k-pak from sallys. Once I use my entire stash I'm going to try to go the DIY Naptural85 route.

Shampoos
0 SM Raw Shea Butter

1 SM JBCO
0 SM Yucca and Balboa
1 Nutrine Garlic Conditioner
0 Suave
0 V05

Conditioners
0 SM Raw Shea Butter

0 SM Raw Shea Butter Mask
1 SM Anti Breakage Mask

2 SM Yucca and Balboa
1 SM JBCO Mask
1 SM JBCO Conditioner
1 Nutrine Garlic Conditioner
0 Suave
0 SM Coconut Cowash

1 As I Am Leave In

Protein Treatments
2 Aphogee 2 Step
1 Aphogee Balancing Conditioner
0 Generic J-coi K-Pak Reconstructer

Butters
2 The Mane Choice It Doesn't Get Much Butter Than This

Oils
1 Glycerin
1 Almond Oil
0 Castor Oil
1 Grapeseed Oil
1 Avacado Oils
1 Jojoba Oil

Random
1 Infusium 23 Repair and Restore Leave In Treatment
1 Curls Botanical Gel

Moisturizers
2 Nuetrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave In Cream (love this stuff)

I will update my stash by changing my used items to purple.

Napturallypretty1908

I finished up my Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic. I love that gel so I do plan on repurchasing when I finish with my next two gels. I just installed marley twists so Im not sure how many products I'll finish on November but here's my current stash that I'm working on. I do think Im going to purchase a leave in conditioner most likely Carol's Daughter.

Obia Naturals:
Babassu Deep Conditioner
Twist Whip Butter
Coconut Shea Shampoo Bar

Shescentit:
Murumuru & Avocado Hair Butter
Honey and Castor Softening Balm
Sugar Peach Conditioner
Avocado Conditioner
Defining Gel

Curls:
Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Jelly
Blueberry Bliss Twist N Shout Cream

Eden Body Works: Jojoba Monoi Natural Hair Oil
Camille Rose Naturals: Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse
Qhemet Biologics: Aethiopika Twist Butter (2x)

faithVA

I'm going to try washing every other week so won't be using up a lot. But I plan to try to moisturize mid-week so maybe that will help. Yesterday, I spritzed with some new product I have and then twisted up with the Teraveda Organize Twist and Curl Creme. I'm going to concentrate on using this up over the next few months. I really liked the TGIN daily moisturizer so I want to hold onto that. I also want to hold onto my KBB products.

So I will focus on the following for November and December
1. Teraveda Organix Carmeltini
2. Teraveda Organix mudwash (just one use left)
3. Teraveda Organix Twist and Curl Creme
4.. Cream of Nature Leave-in
5. Cream of Nature Shampoo
6. Teraveda Organix Butter (Maybe I should just use this on my body)

I think I can use up at least 2 or 3 of these by the end of January even just washing every other week.

faithVA

Used the trader Joe's to prepoo and the Teraveda Organix Carmeltini as a DC. I have one use left of both. But now I'm going to need a new conditioner to prepoo.

I'm going to twist with the TO twist cream.