2016 Wig Challenge

trclemons

WELCOME TO THE 2016 WIG CHALLENGE!

Wigs are an AMAZING option when trying to protect, retain, and relax your hair. A WIG means any full, half, full lace, U-part, and lace front wig or phony pony (store bought or self-made) that you can put on and take off daily to have access to your hair. Twists, braided extensions, sew-ins, or traditional weaves ARE NOT allowed for this challenge.

If you are interested in joining, please respond to the following:

1. Like this post.

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?:

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?:

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:

5. Current Hair Length:

6. 2016 Hair Length Goal:

7. Starting Photo

Please keep this thread alive with pictures of your current wigs, wig reviews, hair regimen updates, photos of your hair's progress, etc. as often as possible, but at least on:

1. March 31st

2. June 30th

3. September 30th

4. December 31st

:gorgeous: LET'S DO THIS LADIES!!! :gorgeous:

Last edited:

trclemons

1. Like this post.

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?: Throughout the year with periodic breaks to test out styles on my hair.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?: LCOB, scalp massage & baggy daily, CW on Tuesdays and alternate between CW & shampoo on Saturdays. Weekly DCs under heat cap, conditioner & oil pre-poos, reconstructors, & AVJ spritz. Monthly scalp detox, ayurvedic powders, & ACV rinses.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Transitioning: Natural

5. Current Hair Length: APL

6. 2016 Hair Length Goal: MBL

7. Starting Photo

upload_2016-1-4_13-36-57.png

Smiley79

1. Like this post. Done!

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?: Throughout the entire year with periodic breaks during the month so I don't overdo any one protective style and so I don't further thin out my hairline and crown area.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?: I will wash and deep condition my hair weekly. Grease/oil my scalp every few days. Massage my scalp nightly. And I will continue to do two-strand flat twist on my hair instead of cornrows so I can minimize tension on my hair. I can't take the slightest bit of tension right now.

5. Current Hair Length: Approaching shoulder length

6. 2016 Hair Length Goal: I would love evenly full & healthy armpit length hair

Last edited:

jasmyne14

1. Like this post.

A year with periodic breaks for when I relax my hair as i'll wear my hair out for maybe two weeks max.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?
  • Clarify once a month
  • Shampoo every 2 weeks
  • Moisturising DC every 2 weeks
  • Heavy protein treatment every 6 weeks
  • Baggy (whole head) every 2 days or when needed and this will include oiling scalp
  • Sleep w/satin bonnet & pillowcase every night
  • Take multi-vitamins once a day and hairfinity pills two times a day
  • I will also take out cancrows every 4 - 6 weeks to minimise tension on my hair and breakage as my hair grows best when it is left alone and not manipulated all the time.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Transitioning:
Relaxed

5. Current Hair Length:
Shoulder Blade

BSL

7. Starting Photo
I will when I relax next week !

alex114

1. Like this post.
Did it!
Wigs are my life lol-- periodically with a few other styles included. Possibly a weave for my wedding not sure yet
I will be washing 2x a month, deep conditioning every week, rinsing when I feel my hair/scalp needs it and MSing either every day for every other day
I am natural-- 2 years in September!
5. Current Hair Length:
Grazing APL
BSL
7. Starting Photo
image.jpegimage.jpeg

fatimablush

I wrote my plan down...I will post it as soon as I find it

ETA

1. Like this post.--DOne

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?: every 2 months with a month break

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?:green tea, black tea, black coffee rinses. scalp massages after taking wig off. spend at least 15 minutes on hair every other day, take care of ends

4. Natural, Relaxed, Transitioning:-natural

5. Current Hair Length: very little--lol

6. 2016 Hair Length Goal: neck length or ear length . i am a slow grower. alwlays have been always will be

7. Starting Photo- will post after i edge up my hair

Extra Extra read all about it:

will wash condition weekly; deep condition bi-weekly
scalp massage 15 minutes a night- feels so good
oil hair and scalp
take multiples and supplements
continue to eat healthy: fruits, veggies,green smoothies, meata couple times a week(I love scallops)
working out- this helps
will try inversion method

Last edited:

trclemons

1. Like this post. Done!

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?: Throughout the entire year with periodic breaks during the month so I don't overdo any one protective style and so I don't further thin out my hairline and crown area.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?: I will wash and deep condition my hair weekly. Grease/oil my scalp every few days. Massage my scalp nightly. And I will continue to do two-strand flat twist on my hair instead of cornrows so I can minimize tension on my hair. I can't take the slightest bit of tension right now.

5. Current Hair Length: Approaching shoulder length

6. 2016 Hair Length Goal: I would love evenly full & healthy armpit length hair

7. Starting Photo: I will post another when I have a chance.

View attachment 347585

Glad to have you aboard!

trclemons

1. Like this post.
Did it!
Wigs are my life lol-- periodically with a few other styles included. Possibly a weave for my wedding not sure yet
I will be washing 2x a month, deep conditioning every week, rinsing when I feel my hair/scalp needs it and MSing either every day for every other day
I am natural-- 2 years in September!
5. Current Hair Length:
Grazing APL
BSL
7. Starting Photo
View attachment 347591View attachment 347589

Nice hair and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

trclemons

1. Like this post.

A year with periodic breaks for when I relax my hair as i'll wear my hair out for maybe two weeks max.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?
  • Clarify once a month
  • Shampoo every 2 weeks
  • Moisturising DC every 2 weeks
  • Heavy protein treatment every 6 weeks
  • Baggy (whole head) every 2 days or when needed and this will include oiling scalp
  • Sleep w/satin bonnet & pillowcase every night
  • Take multi-vitamins once a day and hairfinity pills two times a day
  • I will also take out cancrows every 4 - 6 weeks to minimise tension on my hair and breakage as my hair grows best when it is left alone and not manipulated all the time.

Relaxed

5. Current Hair Length:
Shoulder Blade

BSL

7. Starting Photo
I will when I relax next week !

:welcome:

IslandMummy

If you are interested in joining, please respond to the following:

1. Like this post. Done

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?: a year

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?: cornrows underneath my wigs, wash and deep condition, protein treatments, lots of water.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: natural

5. Current Hair Length: Shoulder

6. 2016 Hair Length Goal: APL

7. Starting Photo

Last edited:

BrownSkinPoppin

formerly NaturallyBri87
1. Like this post.

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?: For the whole year

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?: Beehive braids underneath. Washing and conditioning once a week. Moisturizing daily

5. Current Hair Length: BSL

6. 2016 Hair Length Goal: Waist length baby!

7. Starting Photo: will post when I take my current beehive braids out

trclemons

1. Like this post.

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?: For the whole year

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?: Beehive braids underneath. Washing and conditioning once a week. Moisturizing daily

5. Current Hair Length: BSL

6. 2016 Hair Length Goal: Waist length baby!

7. Starting Photo: will post when I take my current beehive braids out

:welcome4:

FollicleFanatic

1. Like this post.
Check!

All year with a break for crochet braids when it gets too hot for wigs, and maybe week long breaks to wear hair out

DC/Steaming, shampoo and protein as needed, inverting and babying ends

Natural

5. Current Hair Length:
Scraggly MBL

Full MBL

7. Starting Photo:

Attachments

• IMG950026.jpg
    IMG950026.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG950027.jpg
    IMG950027.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
YES I've been waiting to see if someone would make a wig challenge post!

..except I'm stuck for another month wearing my sew in. I'm planning on taking it out Febuary 5th. Is there a chance I can still join in a month or so? I might take it out sooner because I'm frying my leave out to match the silkiness of the hair:cry4:

I already have one sitting in my wowafrican.com cart but I'm still debating since this is my first wig.

brg240

I would like to join. But, I need to know how to have my hair braided under my wig so it doesn't look like a hair hat. :\ does anyone know where I could found information/pics for that??? Hair is past hl

Do you all think it's possible?

Last edited:

alex114

@brg240 I would say you might have to have it professionally cornrowed into weave cornrows, and not just straight back. Even with my grazing APL hair wigs get uncomfortable at the back when I have straight back cornrows. But weave cornrows are really intricate and they distribute your hair all over your head while protecting your ends.

Attachments

• weave base.jpg
    weave base.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 77

brg240

@brg240 I would say you might have to have it professionally cornrowed into weave cornrows, and not just straight back. Even with my grazing APL hair wigs get uncomfortable at the back when I have straight back cornrows. But weave cornrows are really intricate and they distribute your hair all over your head while protecting your ends.
Thanks so much, I'll look into this, this weekend

trclemons

YES I've been waiting to see if someone would make a wig challenge post!

..except I'm stuck for another month wearing my sew in. I'm planning on taking it out Febuary 5th. Is there a chance I can still join in a month or so? I might take it out sooner because I'm frying my leave out to match the silkiness of the hair:cry4:

I already have one sitting in my wowafrican.com cart but I'm still debating since this is my first wig.

You can join now. Just respond to the questions and add your starting length and picture next month.

Smiley79

I need a quicker yet flat braid pattern for under my wigs. I need to look into that for the week ahead.

FollicleFanatic

I thought I'd try flat twisting my hair into a beehive with a leave out so my end are tucked away but eh.. :look:
It wasn't too lumpy and no one noticed. My bestie got real close to my follicles and couldn't tell but I could.
So today I shampooed, protein treated and DC'd my leave out to flat iron it. Will retwist the rest straight back to lay flatter under my wig.

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
How long do you plan on wigging it?: I'm gonna shoot for the whole year of 2016 so 11 months since I'm starting in Febuary

How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?: Weekly deep conditions, bi-weekly shampoo washes, and nightly moisturizing.

Natural, Relaxed, Transitioning: Natural

Current Hair Length: Very uneven neck length.

2016 Hair Length Goal: APL

Starting Photo: (as of 1/8/2016)

Last edited:

SunnyDelight

I want to join.
I will "wig it" until summer .... mid June, take a break and be back early fall... October
Neck length, natural. I wash and deep condition weekly. spritz daily with either water or scurl. Take wig off as soon as I get home evenings.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
1. Like this post.

All year round although I may do some spring twists in the summer

braid take down, shampoo, deep condition every 2 weeks. Moisturize every other night. Retwist leave out daily.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:

Natural

5. Current Hair Length:

??? If I was to guess it would be in between my shoulders and armpit

Brastrap length

7. Starting Photo
I don't have one. I'll take some pics this weekend